2022 Eagles Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It's time to turn the page, so to speak, and start a thread for the 2022 Eagles. You can access all the posts and information that were posted during and after the 2021 Eagles season in the 2021 Eagles Thread at:

Go Birds!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I confess I’m not an Iggles fan ( wife is huge fan though so I don’t root against them 😉 ), but I don’t understand the “astronomical” expectations? 🧐 🤔 🤨

This is a 9-8 team
To the contrary, just cancel the season and hand them the Super Bowl Trophy just like every other team at this time of year.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU2169

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I confess I’m not an Iggles fan ( wife is huge fan though so I don’t root against them 😉 ), but I don’t understand the “astronomical” expectations? 🧐 🤔 🤨

This is a 9-8 team
I don't think many Eagles die-hards will set astronomical expectations for this year. It's reasonable to see improvement from 9-8 last season IF Hurts takes another step or two forward. They certainly upgraded everywhere but QB. Sadly, that places all of the pressure on Hurts who hasn't showed a ton of reasons to have faith in him being the difference in year 3.

I think 10-11 wins is about the most I see from them this year. Maybe 12 if things really clicked for Hurts and the offense. That doesn't feel astronomical. Even at 12 wins, I don't see them being good enough to get past LA, Tampa or a slew of others in the NFC playoffs.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think many Eagles die-hards will set astronomical expectations for this year. It's reasonable to see improvement from 9-8 last season IF Hurts takes another step or two forward. They certainly upgraded everywhere but QB. Sadly, that places all of the pressure on Hurts who hasn't showed a ton of reasons to have faith in him being the difference in year 3.

I think 10-11 wins is about the most I see from them this year. Maybe 12 if things really clicked for Hurts and the offense. That doesn't feel astronomical. Even at 12 wins, I don't see them being good enough to get past LA, Tampa or a slew of others in the NFC playoffs.
LA? who knows. now Tampa I dont think they will have what they had last year.

Lane

Oct 12, 2021
So you, like @Lane, married up. ;)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

How many wins to forestall “Time to move on from Hurts” talk? I say 10 minimum.

Reactions: WestSideLion

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
How many wins to forestall “Time to move on from Hurts” talk? I say 10 minimum.
10 wins would signify a step forward for the team. Presumably against a tougher schedule than last year. Hurts would need to improve for them to reach that level. Your logic holds.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

the Birds made quite a few offseason moves. That said, on offense it's essentially the same team. The changes on O are:

- A. J. Brown (could/should be a huge upgrade)
- a "new" starter at RG (probably Seumalo, but that remains to be seen)

Sanders should be healthier, Pascal may/should be the 4th receiver, Hurts will hopefully be improved, etc., but the O is basically the same group.

I'm a little concerned at Safety, but CB, LB, and the DL look to be improved. If they stay healthy, they could be quite good this season.

Elite? That remains to be seen. Then again, while I had some hope for the Birds pre-training camp in 2017, I wasn't penciling them in to the Super Bowl. Every season has surprises, both positive and negative, for almost every NFL team.

Reactions: PSU2169

PSU Chicago

Oct 9, 2021

Interesting Eagles blog entry from Reuben Frank re a data point on Sanders since entering the NFL .. also goes to Saquan Barkley post earlier

4. Speaking of Sanders … I’ve said all offseason that Sanders became a smarter, more decisive ball carrier last year. He didn’t dance around as much as his first two seasons, he didn’t try to bounce everything outside at the first sign of trouble inside, he didn’t try for the home run all the time. The numbers bear it out. Sanders’ first two years he gained a lot of yards but also incurred too many negative runs, generally when he tried to do too much. Last year, he made big strides in that area. As a rookie, Sanders had a gain of zero or negative yards 22.9 percent of the time. In 2021, that dropped a bit to 20.1 percent. Still way too high. But last year he had a gain of zero or less on just 13.9 percent of his carries. Running backs need to understand they’re hurting the team by trying to turn a four-yard run into a 40-yard run but instead getting thrown for a loss. That 13.9 percent figure is really encouraging. Straight ahead, between-the-tackles Miles Sanders is by far the most effective Miles Sanders.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Interesting Eagles blog entry from Reuben Frank re a data point on Sanders since entering the NFL .. also goes to Saquan Barkley post earlier

4. Speaking of Sanders … I’ve said all offseason that Sanders became a smarter, more decisive ball carrier last year. He didn’t dance around as much as his first two seasons, he didn’t try to bounce everything outside at the first sign of trouble inside, he didn’t try for the home run all the time. The numbers bear it out. Sanders’ first two years he gained a lot of yards but also incurred too many negative runs, generally when he tried to do too much. Last year, he made big strides in that area. As a rookie, Sanders had a gain of zero or negative yards 22.9 percent of the time. In 2021, that dropped a bit to 20.1 percent. Still way too high. But last year he had a gain of zero or less on just 13.9 percent of his carries. Running backs need to understand they’re hurting the team by trying to turn a four-yard run into a 40-yard run but instead getting thrown for a loss. That 13.9 percent figure is really encouraging. Straight ahead, between-the-tackles Miles Sanders is by far the most effective Miles Sanders.
It's not a coincidence.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
My Michigan buddy who watched every carry by Barry Sanders said the same thing all the time. Said all the time that for all the highlight reels, Barry would turn a one yard gain into an 8 yard loss on first down and kill possessions.