2022 Eagles Thread

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

Flexibility early​

Believe it or not, Hurts will still reportedly make less than Giants quarterback Daniel Jones over the next two seasons.

According to NFL Network, Hurts is due $64 million through the first new year of his deal in 2024. This indicates Hurts’ contract will leave the Eagles with some extra maneuverability over the next two seasons instead of bogging them down during what should be a championship window. By comparison, Jones is due $82 million during the same stretch.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Flexibility early​

Believe it or not, Hurts will still reportedly make less than Giants quarterback Daniel Jones over the next two seasons.

According to NFL Network, Hurts is due $64 million through the first new year of his deal in 2024. This indicates Hurts’ contract will leave the Eagles with some extra maneuverability over the next two seasons instead of bogging them down during what should be a championship window. By comparison, Jones is due $82 million during the same stretch.
Jones, $82mm. How much is that per interception?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
$51 MM/year and could not beat out Tua. Imagine how much he would have gotten if he had beaten out a freshman.

Reactions: LionJim

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
As long as as we don’t have Covid again 2025 the cap should keep expanding!!
I am hoping he doesn't turn into a head case now that he is getting paid like some other Phila team athletes in the past. I think he has a good head on his shoulders(from the way he speaks at pressers) so I don't see this happening. Bring on next season already!!

Reactions: s1uggo72

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
This is the biggest factor making me feel good about their decision to pay Hurts this kind of money. He seems to be level headed and the type who will continue to work hard to make himself and the team better.
I am glad this is the case, but what else were they going to do? Not pay him? Start over? They had to do this. I guess they could have had him play out his contract this year and then tag him 2x and started over.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I am glad this is the case, but what else were they going to do? Not pay him? Start over? They had to do this. I guess they could have had him play out his contract this year and then tag him 2x and started over.
They made a huge mistake a few years ago with Wentz. Similar situation - big MVP-caliber year and Super Bowl run. The difference is between the ears.

They had to pay Hurts. But everyone feels better doing so for what I stated. Philly could have asked him to play 2023 on the final year of his rookie deal. Then they could have tagged him or sandbagged him. That would not have ended well.

Reactions: LionJim

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
They made a huge mistake a few years ago with Wentz. Similar situation - big MVP-caliber year and Super Bowl run. The difference is between the ears.

They had to pay Hurts. But everyone feels better doing so for what I stated. Philly could have asked him to play 2023 on the final year of his rookie deal. Then they could have tagged him or sandbagged him. That would not have ended well.
I agree w you relative to Hurts. I disagree that it was a mistake extending Wentz. It was a good move and one the Eagles do often, extending guys a year early and getting a better long term deal for both the player and team. I don’t think anyone could know how bad Wentz would freak out I mean AR took Kolb w a second rd pick and Donnie didn’t freak out. He took AJ Feely before that w a third. Wentz should have said ‘ they just gave me $140 mil I m the man’ as opposed to what he did. he is classic $1000000 arm w a $.02 head

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
I think it’s safe to say they would sign him regardless of now or 3 years from now. With that in mind you look at the numbers and they would have had to pay him easily 5-7 mil more a year if they waited till Herbert or Burrow or Lamar were signed. Smart move getting in before the market continued to climb. Not to mention the respect and belief it shows Hurts that they extend him a year early, with a no trade clause. It’s a selling point to other players: the eagles respect you and treat you right.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Howie is a cap genius! These number is ridiculously low, will have money to pay other players to. So we should have a great team around him. 👏🏻

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Okay I read the nbc article and I still have to ask who? Lot of snaps but I don’t know who he is. 🤷‍♂️
South Jersey Native who played at St Joe's Prep(A PIAA Class 6A school). This is why I dislike St Joe's Prep being allowed to participate in the PIAA. But I digress. Anyhow, I hope he is good enough to fill in as 3rd WR behind AJ and Davonte.