2022 World Cup - General Discussion & Non-USA teams thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
France awarded a PK in the 116th minute for a hand ball. Wow

Mbappe shoots it, and buries it. Tied, 3-3, and Mbappe with a hat trick.

You could not script something like this. Wow

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
3 minutes of stoppage time in the 2nd extra time period. If still tied after that, then we're going to a shootout to decide the champion.

Reactions: Midnighter

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
We are going to a shootout to decide the champion. This match has been amazing ever since France got hot late in the 2nd period.

Reactions: Mr. Potter

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
France is shooting 1st. Mbappe goes 1st for France, and Messi goes 1st for Argentina.

France: √ X X √
Argentina: √ √ √ √

Argentina wins, 4-2 in PKs

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks to all on this board for making this tournament so awesome.

I'll second that. There's been some great conversations, debates, celebrations, etc. in the thread. And this World Cup featured some spectacular matches. So much drama. So many close games. I hate when the final comes down to a shootout, but them's the rules.

Thanks again to everyone that participated in the thread.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
What an awesome nap! Thanks Argentina and France! Now, Nascar will be my new napping deal...

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I have to declare. I am so pumped for Messi winning the World Cup. I think more so for acquiring this goal and putting him ahead of Ronaldo in the Greatest of their generation argument/debate. Huge fan of Ronaldo but when it comes to Messi, forget it.

Shalom

It was nice to watch the celebration. I always hurt for those greats who never won a championship, like Ted Williams or Ernie Banks, Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley. The old Celtics were all overjoyed when Jerry West finally won in 1972.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BobPSU92

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
It was nice to watch the celebration. I always hurt for those greats who never won a championship, like Ted Williams or Ernie Banks, Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley. The old Celtics were all overjoyed when Jerry West finally won in 1972.
Soccer.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edit: Sorry. THat wasn’t called for. Although t i find soccer to be boring, i should have remained silent. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the match

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I have to declare. I am so pumped for Messi winning the World Cup. I think more so for acquiring this goal and putting him ahead of Ronaldo in the Greatest of their generation argument/debate. Huge fan of Ronaldo but when it comes to Messi, forget it.

Shalom

Messi has been the best player on the best team for pretty much his entire career. I think Ronaldo is the better talent personally and his teams haven’t always been as stacked. Still, good for Messi who seemingly found out tattooed arm sleeves were in style about ten years after everyone else. It’s nice attention for soccer since everyone in America loves a winner.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Soccer.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edit: Sorry. THat wasn’t called for. Although t i find soccer to be boring, i should have remained silent. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the match
It really was a great tournament for those of us into these things.

Reactions: PS7680

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Really great tournament. There’s one thing I won’t miss, however. NUTMEG. o_O . For f*ck’s sake.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GreggK

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Sorry for the delay, I was busy at the time, but @Tom McAndrew, can you please explain the offside call at the 29 minute mark of the championship game? It followed a corner kick that was headed inside the box from about 2 feet off the end line back to the guy who took the corner kick. Maybe you don't recall it but even the announcers seemed a little puzzled.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry for the delay, I was busy at the time, but @Tom McAndrew, can you please explain the offside call at the 29 minute mark of the championship game? It followed a corner kick that was headed inside the box from about 2 feet off the end line back to the guy who took the corner kick. Maybe you don't recall it but even the announcers seemed a little puzzled.
I don't think Messi got back onside prior to the header IIRC so when it was headed he went back to get it, but was offsides prior. He stayed on the touchline I'm assuming after he took the kick.

Reactions: Woodpecker

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021

The player who received the ball was in an off side position from where the ball was kicked (i.e. he was closer to goal than the ball and behind all defenders except the keeper). The question the announcers had was whether it was a teammate or the opponent who kicked the ball. You can't be called offside on a kick from the opposition.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
The player who received the ball was in an off side position from where the ball was kicked (i.e. he was closer to goal than the ball and behind all defenders except the keeper). The question the announcers had was whether it was a teammate or the opponent who kicked the ball. You can't be called offside on a kick from the opposition.
I thought Giroud headed it; apparently I saw it incorrectly. I had not realized that Messi remained in the corner after his service.