2022 World Cup - USA team thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
About Pulisic’s shot, he didn’t have much of an angle. I saw a video angle from behind the keeper and saw that it really came close to getting by the keeper, he barely made the save, rats. That’s soccer. It wasn’t Lukaku off the post.
4 inches and it beats the keeper. Tough break. It happens. This team has promise and will be seasoned by 2026. Good times ahead.

Reactions: LionJim

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
This team met my expectations by qualifying out of the group for the knockouts.

What today showed me is that we need more games against top level teams. We showed a level of naïveté that we can get away with most of the time. But against a clinical team like the Dutch, a guy here or a guy there turning the switch off for a moment costs us dearly. Unfortunately, it’s to our great disadvantage that the advent of the Nations League has really limited our ability to even get high level friendlies on the calendar.

I don’t know how the federation can approach this, but they will need to find ways to get our guys strong opponents in a cycle in which we will not even go through qualifying.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
This team met my expectations by qualifying out of the group for the knockouts.

What today showed me is that we need more games against top level teams. We showed a level of naïveté that we can get away with most of the time. But against a clinical team like the Dutch, a guy here or a guy there turning the switch off for a moment costs us dearly. Unfortunately, it’s to our great disadvantage that the advent of the Nations League has really limited our ability to even get high level friendlies on the calendar.

I don’t know how the federation can approach this, but they will need to find ways to get our guys strong opponents in a cycle in which we will not even go through qualifying.
Yep to all of it. Hopefully we grow or find an actual world class striker in the next 3-4 years.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
US missed their chances. Holland didn’t as our outside backs fell asleep twice. US still needs a real striker and a few other pieces, but it’s not like Holland dominated this match. They didn’t, but just executed better around the box. Pulisic needed to put his early shot away. Wright was gifted a goal and had a horrible first touch. Mark better, put away your chances.
Yeah, what else can you say. We won possession and had more shots (and on goal). Xg was even but they were more clutch. This team is still significantly better than the Bradley days.

Last edited:

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
When are people in the U.S. going to realize that soccer is simply an activity for young kids in y leagues etc....and we will never compete at the world level.

Reactions: PSU87

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
When are people in the U.S. going to realize that soccer is simply an activity for young kids in y leagues etc....and we will never compete at the world level.
At least until football is outlawed because of brain injuries.
I've been hearing "in 20 years soccer will be bigger than football" for almost 50 years. Even after all that time, I go to a local HS game and there's 50 people in the stands while the FB team draws 1000.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
It's the most watched sport in the world. So they don't NEED me to watch. I watched enough 6 year olds 7v7 when my kids played. I'm good. Thanks.

Reactions: Alphalion75

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I've been hearing "in 20 years soccer will be bigger than football" for almost 50 years. Even after all that time, I go to a local HS game and there's 50 people in the stands while the FB team draws 1000.
I feel like the old guys need a T-shirt that says that. It’s your Mantra.

Meanwhile there is a thriving league with beautiful new stadiums and big crowds.

I hate golf and tennis but never felt the need to go on a thread and talk about it. Strange

Reactions: CyphaPSU and A2nit

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So I finally got to watch the USA - Netherlands match. So many opportunities for the USA. And yet, the Netherlands had 3 good opportunities and converted each of them. I have lots of positive thoughts about the USA team in this year's World Cup. At the same time, I have a bunch of frustrations with the USA team in this year's World Cup.

In life, I generally tend to focus on the positives, so I'll try to stick with those regarding the USA team in the coming days/weeks/months.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Exactly.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
More and more of those young kids are playing in the top European leagues, so maybe not just a sport for y league kids anymore. Very uninformed post.
How many fans attended your hs soccer games this year?
So I finally got to watch the USA - Netherlands match. So many opportunities for the USA. And yet, the Netherlands had 3 good opportunities and converted each of them. I have lots of positive thoughts about the USA team in this year's World Cup. At the same time, I have a bunch of frustrations with the USA team in this year's World Cup.

In life, I generally tend to focus on the positives, so I'll try to stick with those regarding the USA team in the coming days/weeks/months.
The positive certainly is that the USA made it to the World Cup. However, we still have a long way to go to compete on the world level.

Last edited:

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
You seem to lean on insulting other people's interests for no reason. You've done it to philly sports fans for years on these boards. Frankly, I have zero respect for people like you.
I simply stated that soccer is not a very popular sport in this country. It has a limited following. I don't find that insulting, but a simple fact. And when have I insulted Philly fans? I described some incidences at venues that my son and I attended. Those events were real and fact. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
More and more of those young kids are playing in the top European leagues, so maybe not just a sport for y league kids anymore. Very uninformed post.

Meanwhile there is a thriving league with beautiful new stadiums and big crowds.

I hate golf and tennis but never felt the need to go on a thread and talk about it. Strange
Cmon guys....you're better than this. Instead of getting offended every time someone says anything bad about US soccer, maybe have an honest conversation about the fact that the lack of popularity of the sport may be a contributing factor to our international performance?

Does it? I don't know, but I think it does. We can discuss it and try to fix it or we can have this same conversation 20 years from now.

I worked for a French company during the last WC. I work for an American company now. The interest level between the 2 is night and day. I think until we narrow that enthusiasm gap, we will continue to struggle.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Cmon guys....you're better than this. Instead of getting offended every time someone says anything bad about US soccer, maybe have an honest conversation about the fact that the lack of popularity of the sport may be a contributing factor to our international performance?

Does it? I don't know, but I think it does. We can discuss it and try to fix it or we can have this same conversation 20 years from now.

I worked for a French company during the last WC. I work for an American company now. The interest level between the 2 is night and day. I think until we narrow that enthusiasm gap, we will continue to struggle.
Thanks for your level headed post.

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

The original poster had zero interest in an honest discussion on the state of soccer in America. It was an obvious troll job as evidenced by the Y league comment. And like I said, there are more and more American players in the top European leagues every year. This is what will make the US national team better in years to come, not the number of spectators at high school soccer games.

Reactions: GreggK

GreggK

May 25, 2022
The original poster had zero interest in an honest discussion on the state of soccer in America. It was an obvious troll job as evidenced by the Y league comment. And like I said, there are more and more American players in the top European leagues every year. This is what will make the US national team better in years to come, not the number of spectators at high school soccer games.

Exactly. Same EXACT phrases from the same exact type of people. Who goes on a thread where people are discussing something they enjoy and put it down?

Again, I think golf is stupid and boring, I can’t imagine going on a thread where people are talking about the US open or whatever and **** on it. That would make me a troll.

Also, in my town, there is a huge rivalry in soccer with the town next door and it’s always packed.

🙄

Reactions: doctornick

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
You may be right. But the improvement seems be nominal and at a snails pace.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

I seemed to notice at least a few guys who weren't "American" on the USMNT ... dude they interviewed before this match had a full-on British accent. And I seem to remember that being the case in years past. So just how much of the USMNT is currently comprised of players who are largely "foreign" (not playing overseas now ... I mean, basically grew up in another country, for the most part, learned their soccer over there, etc.) ... and is that percentage getting smaller (and America is producing more top level guys)? Is it as bad as national teams like Italy or Israel in baseball, where those teams are comprised of almost all Americans who happen to have dual citizenship (or some other qualification)?

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I seemed to notice at least a few guys who weren't "American" on the USMNT ... dude they interviewed before this match had a full-on British accent. And I seem to remember that being the case in years past. So just how much of the USMNT is currently comprised of players who are largely "foreign" (not playing overseas now ... I mean, basically grew up in another country, for the most part, learned their soccer over there, etc.) ... and is that percentage getting smaller (and America is producing more top level guys)? Is it as bad as national teams like Italy or Israel in baseball, where those teams are comprised of almost all Americans who happen to have dual citizenship (or some other qualification)?

You are kidding right? So a player born in Germany who’s parents are in the Armed forces shouldn’t get to play for the country he is a citizen of?

This is also not just an American thing. France has a player born in Angola.

Further, the vast majority were born here. Even Tim Weah, who’s dad is the president of Liberia.

Finally, the player who would be considered the best of them all, was born and raised in Hershey pa.

Reactions: Hlstone

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
That’s pretty much the state of international soccer these days and it’s not unique to the US. The guy who scored the first goal for Switzerland against Cameroon was born in… Cameroon.

There’s articles around about how Paris is basically ground zero for World Cup caliber players and most of them aren’t playing for France. Also this: https://indianexpress.com/article/s...es-other-than-their-nations-of-birth-8274550/

GreggK

May 25, 2022

Also, it’s worth noting how the youth system works in Europe. Players as young as 8 can sign with a professional club and start going through their academies very early. And players from say Ireland or Poland very well may sign with a Dutch Pro team VERY young. Does that make those players less Irish or Polish? Why would it matter if a guy like Gio Reyna signs on with an academy in Germany when he is 12?

Hlstone

Oct 11, 2021
Also, it’s worth noting how the youth system works in Europe. Players as young as 8 can sign with a professional club and start going through their academies very early. And players from say Ireland or Poland very well may sign with a Dutch Pro team VERY young. Does that make those players less Irish or Polish? Why would it matter if a guy like Gio Reyna signs on with an academy in Germany when he is 12?
I may like that system. Do the pro club pay the kids? Or is it like the college system, where some kids pay to be on youth teams and some get schollies?

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Soccer is so freaking boring.
Well you’re an a-hole if we are just making observations. You see how easy it is to be a D**k? Anyone can do it, not hard at all. I would say don’t watch and try harder to not be a D**k.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
That’s pretty much the state of international soccer these days and it’s not unique to the US. The guy who scored the first goal for Switzerland against Cameroon was born in… Cameroon.

There’s articles around about how Paris is basically ground zero for World Cup caliber players and most of them aren’t playing for France. Also this: https://indianexpress.com/article/s...es-other-than-their-nations-of-birth-8274550/
It’s not rare at all. National teams work to recruit players at a young age if they are dual.

Latest posts