2023 - 2024 Premier League thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Sheffield United 2-2 West Ham United, full time. I got back from the gym at 1-1, 77’. Hammers get a PK at 80’, 1-2, Sheffield gets a red card on a brutal tackle at 91’, fully deserved. (Not sure if it was a straight red, but whatever.) Then Sheffield puts the ball into the box on a long kick from the side and a foul is called, a PK for Sheffield. I think it was a bad call, myself. I’m sure Tom will opine. Anyway, the WHU keeper gets knocked out of the match, they bring in the sub keeper and it’s 2-2 on the PK. By now it’s 90’+11. The last play I really think should have resulted on a PK for WHU, I’d be screaming if it happened to Arsenal. Whew. Drama.

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Sheffield United 2-2 West Ham United, full time. I got back from the gym at 1-1, 77’. Hammers get a PK at 80’, 1-2, Sheffield gets a red card on a brutal tackle at 91’, fully deserved. (Not sure if it was a straight red, but whatever.) Then Sheffield puts the ball into the box on a long kick from the side and a foul is called, a PK for Sheffield. I think it was a bad call, myself. I’m sure Tom will opine. Anyway, the WHU keeper gets knocked out of the match, they bring in the sub keeper and it’s 2-2 on the PK. By now it’s 90’+11. The last play I really think should have resulted on a PK for WHU, I’d be screaming if it happened to Arsenal. Whew. Drama.

That was nuts. West Ham have to be in disbelief at how they let it slip away late.

To add to the drama, the announcers mentioned that the reserve goalkeeper for West Ham who entered for the late Sheffield penalty kick had a good track record at stopping said penalty kicks. Not this time.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
  • Love

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

That's a tough call. In real time, I don't have a foul on the play, and certainly wouldn't award a PK. After looking at the video @ a dozen times, I still am not a fan of the call. I guess the rationale is that the attacker, in attempting to get something on an attempted heading of the ball, struck the GK in the face with his arm before the ball arrived. It was a bang-bang play, with the defender pushing the attacker in the back (which may have been part of the cause for the attacker's arm hitting the GK), and the GK coming in the opposite direction in attempting to play the ball, and as much running into the arm as he was struck. By the letter of the Rules of the Game, it's not a wrong call, though with no VAR I suspect that there is no call made on that play 99% of the time.

In terms of the play at the end, that's another really tough call. Attackers have gotten really good at running into defenders, and even pulling defenders down on them in the box to try to get a call. As such, most refs treat that as just fighting for the ball, and do not call fouls on plays like that. In watching the video over and over, I can see a case for making a call against the defender for running into Bowen. On the field, in real time, I'm not calling that. I didn't watch the game, so I'm guessing that VAR checked the play and was either good with it or buzzed down and had the ref watch it, and he upheld his original decision.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Wow.

He had a really good run and it would have been better minus City's rise up and cheating. Don't worry though the EPL and EUFA got this....City has 100+ counts of breaking the financial fair play laws including fraud.....but they'll hammer Forest and Everton for their 1-2 counts. Klopp's time at Liverpool is severely underrated IMO.

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
He had a really good run and it would have been better minus City's rise up and cheating. Don't worry though the EPL and EUFA got this....City has 100+ counts of breaking the financial fair play laws including fraud.....but they'll hammer Forest and Everton for their 1-2 counts. Klopp's time at Liverpool is severely underrated IMO.
PL = NCAA

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Wow.

Great news! He can take a year off and come back to Dortmund refreshed and ready to rumble!

Excuse me while I finish drinking this bottle of hooch.

Last edited:

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Just finished watching an incredible FA Cup game, Maidstone United (from the National League South, the 6th tier) at Ipswich Town (currently 2nd in the Championship and on track for Promotion to the Prem). I’ve commented before that there is nothing in club soccer I enjoy more than the 3rd/4th rounds of the FA Cup as you get these semi-pros playing against some of the best players in the world (really reminds me of the first two days of March Madness). This was one of those games I love (and made up for the lackluster games I watched the past few days)…

Final Stats - Ipswich outshot Maidstone 38-2. Shots on goal was 13-2. Corners was 11-0. Ipswich hit the post at least 5 times. Possession was 78%-22%.

Maidstone won it 2-1.

@Grant Green - do any of your xG sites cover FA Cup games?

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Just finished watching an incredible FA Cup game, Maidstone United (from the National League South, the 6th tier) at Ipswich Town (currently 2nd in the Championship and on track for Promotion to the Prem). I’ve commented before that there is nothing in club soccer I enjoy more than the 3rd/4th rounds of the FA Cup as you get these semi-pros playing against some of the best players in the world (really reminds me of the first two days of March Madness). This was one of those games I love (and made up for the lackluster games I watched the past few days)…

Final Stats - Ipswich outshot Maidstone 38-2. Shots on goal was 13-2. Corners was 11-0. Ipswich hit the post at least 5 times. Possession was 78%-22%.

Maidstone won it 2-1.

@Grant Green - do any of your xG sites cover FA Cup games?
Hope you had Maidstone to win.

• Haha

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Hope you had Maidstone to win.

Nothing on the game, just watched for for enjoyment, of course rooting for the underdog. I figured the split was something ridiculous, as they got dominated; it's quite possible that the only two times they had a touch in the final third were the two goals (if you watch the highlights in the link that @BobPSU92 posted, the first goal was a thing of beauty on a counter off of an Ipswich corner). Couple more big dogs I'll be rooting for the next two days, with Man U on the road at a League Two team tomorrow (go Newport County), and Wrexham (also League Two) playing a Championship side on Monday.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule for this weekend (2/3, 2/4, 2/5):

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Everton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Crystal Palace (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Newcastle United vs. Luton Town (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Burnley vs. Fulham (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Sheffield U. vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Nottingham Forest (Peacock)
9:00 am EST -- Man U. vs West Ham U. (Peacock)
9:00 am EST -- Chelsea vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (USA Network)
11:30 am EST -- Arsenal vs. Liverpool (Peacock)

Monday
3:00 pm EST -- Brentford vs. Man C. (USA Network)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Tottenham lost two points at 90+4’.

Also, Mbappe to Real Madrid seems to be a thing.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule for this weekend (2/10, 2/11, 2/12)

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Man C. vs. Everton (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Fulham vs. AFC Bournemouth (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Luton Town vs. Sheffield U. (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Brighton & Hope Albion (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Liverpool vs. Burnley (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Brentford (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Nottingham Forest vs. Newcastle U. (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- West Ham U. vs. Arsenal (USA Network)
11:30 am EST -- Aston Villa vs. Man U. (USA Network)

Monday
3:00 pm EST -- Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea (USA Network)

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Just got back from the gym. Knowing you I was expecting some snark about Arsenal being down 2-0 or otherwise giving me some shite. Much obliged.
The Simpsons GIF

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
Tottenham are the only side to both win 15+ points from losing positions and lose 15+ points from winning positions in the Premier League this season.
It's never boring under Big Ange!1707674729299.jpeg

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule for this weekend (2/17, 2/18, 2/19)

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Brentford vs. Liverpool (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Nottingham Forest vs. West Ham U. (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Burnley vs. Arsenal (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Fulham vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Newcastle U vs. AFC Bournemouth (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Man C. vs. Chelsea (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- Sheffield U. vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (USA Network)
11:30 am EST -- Luton Town vs. Man U. (USA Network)

Monday
3:00 pm EST -- Everton vs. Crystal Palace (USA Network)

Reactions: Alphabets

Latest posts