2023 - 2024 Premier League thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule for this weekend (2/24, 2/25, 2/26)

Saturday
10:00 am EST -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Everton (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Crystal Palace vs. Burnley (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Man U. vs. Fulham (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Aston Villa vs.Nottingham Forest (USA Network)
12:30 pm EST -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Man C. (NBC)
3:00 pm EST -- Arsenal vs. Newcastle U. (Peacock)

Sunday
8:30 am EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Sheffield U. (USA Network)

Monday
3:00 pm EST -- West Ham U. vs. Brentford (USA Network)

Reactions: Alphabets

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021
I am a Premier League neophyte. Is there a regular season and playoffs? And is the season played at the same time of year each year? It seems like there are games at random times throughout the year. Would appreciate any education more seasoned EPL watchers can give me?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I am a Premier League neophyte. Is there a regular season and playoffs? And is the season played at the same time of year each year? It seems like there are games at random times throughout the year. Would appreciate any education more seasoned EPL watchers can give me?
No playoffs. Twenty teams, 38 matches. It's pretty much August to May, but you might have asked because last year the World Cup messed up the schedule.

Reactions: Madsol

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

It's a long regular season, that stretches from August to May (it's 38 "matchweeks." They take breaks (called windows) during the season when games are not played, but the players will play for their national teams in friendlies, qualifying matches, etc. There is also a winter break (technically called the mid-season player break) where half the teams are off one weekend, and the other half are off the other weekend, in January.

Reactions: Madsol

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
It's a long regular season, that stretches from August to May (it's 38 "matchweeks." They take breaks (called windows) during the season when games are not played, but the players will play for their national teams in friendlies, qualifying matches, etc. There is also a winter break (technically called the mid-season player break) where half the teams are off one weekend, and the other half are off the other weekend, in January.
Dare we go down the rabbit hole of teams occasionally playing Champions and Europa League games as well as FA and Carabao Cup competitions?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Dare we go down the rabbit hole of teams occasionally playing Champions and Europa League games as well as FA and Carabao Cup competitions?

lol. I actually started down that rabbit hole, and decided I have provided enough info. Unless you grew up in Europe, or grew up in a household that followed the EPL, I think the EPL schedule was a learning experience for each of us when we first started following it.

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021
Thank you.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
The reason that most/all European soccer leagues do not have playoffs is because they play a balanced schedule. Every team plays each other twice. One match at home and one away.
When I first started to follow EPL, I thought it was odd that they didn’t have playoffs. Now I think it is the absolute best way to determine a champion.

Reactions: LionJim

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
  • Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Apologies for this not being EPL, but check out this goal sequence that starts @3:22. Not only is it a spectacular goal, but the ball never touches the ground from the keeper's kick to the goal. Gnoheré Krizo, an Ivorian forward for Real Kashmir FC in the I-League which is the second tier in India.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
@Grant Green Who is heading to Old Trafford to see the FA quarterfinal against Liverpool?

Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice

This was a trip in the works for 4-5 years (Covid delay) with one of my best friends who is also a United fan and my youngest's Godfather. We both wanted to get into Old Trafford and take in a match and that was going to be the Sheffield United match on 3/16, but that changed with the FA Cup win yesterday. Roller Coaster of emotions yesterday as I was pumped for the win until I heard the draw (don't want to see a loss which is likely now) and date of the quarterfinals. I didn't think I would get tickets to the quarters as they warn you as you buy them all tickets are subject to change due to tournaments and other possible scenarios. We had 4 tickets together to go to that Sheffield match locked in, but by the time I got tickets last night 25 minutes after the draw was announced last night I could only find 2 together and our wives told us to snag them as they know how much it means to us.

Fast forward to this morning and I get an email saying our United tickets for Sheffield are still valid (going to sell now) or we can try to swap them out for the Liverpool.....either way I am going, but I would be pretty stoked to take the wife to let her witness a United vs. Liverpool match at Old Trafford so she understands the screaming coming out of my office every weekend morning!!!!! I have a week before I take off and we are taking in a Champsionship match in London as well (QPR vs. Middlesbrough), but I'm still buzzing that I'm going to see a quarterfinal @ Old Trafford vs. Liverpool in Klopps' farewell season. Buzzing...work is going to be a nighmare for the next wek trying to focus.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
@Grant Green Who is heading to Old Trafford to see the FA quarterfinal against Liverpool?

Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice

This was a trip in the works for 4-5 years (Covid delay) with one of my best friends who is also a United fan and my youngest's Godfather. We both wanted to get into Old Trafford and take in a match and that was going to be the Sheffield United match on 3/16, but that changed with the FA Cup win yesterday. Roller Coaster of emotions yesterday as I was pumped for the win until I heard the draw (don't want to see a loss which is likely now) and date of the quarterfinals. I didn't think I would get tickets to the quarters as they warn you as you buy them all tickets are subject to change due to tournaments and other possible scenarios. We had 4 tickets together to go to that Sheffield match locked in, but by the time I got tickets last night 25 minutes after the draw was announced last night I could only find 2 together and our wives told us to snag them as they know how much it means to us.

Fast forward to this morning and I get an email saying our United tickets for Sheffield are still valid (going to sell now) or we can try to swap them out for the Liverpool.....either way I am going, but I would be pretty stoked to take the wife to let her witness a United vs. Liverpool match at Old Trafford so she understands the screaming coming out of my office every weekend morning!!!!! I have a week before I take off and we are taking in a Champsionship match in London as well (QPR vs. Middlesbrough), but I'm still buzzing that I'm going to see a quarterfinal @ Old Trafford vs. Liverpool in Klopps' farewell season. Buzzing...work is going to be a nighmare for the next wek trying to focus.
Wow, that's fantastic. What a trip. All I will say is, good luck vs. Sheffield.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Final: Nottingham Forest 0, Liverpool 1

Darwin Nunez wins it with a header in the 99th minute. 😀

• Angry

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Not Prem, but definitely the best soccer moment of the weekend (or maybe the worst, but definitely one of those)…

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Mean while, it appears that the move to Serie A has revived Pulisic’s club career. Seven goals and six assists in twenty five league matches and after drawing two red cards from Lazio players he’s finally receiving death threats. I’d say he’s adapting to the Italian game.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV Schedule for This Week (Matchweek 28)

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Man U. vs. Everton (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Sheffield U. (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Fulham (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Crystal Palace vs. Luton Town (USA Network)
12:30 pm EST -- Arsenal vs. Brentford (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EDT -- Aston Villa vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- West Ham U. vs. Burnley (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Nottingham Forest (Peacock)
11:45 am EDT -- Liverpool vs. Man C. (USA Network)

Monday
3:30 pm EDT -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Luton Town (Peacock)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
TV Schedule for This Week (Matchweek 28)

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Man U. vs. Everton (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Sheffield U. (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Fulham (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Crystal Palace vs. Luton Town (USA Network)
12:30 pm EST -- Arsenal vs. Brentford (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EDT -- Aston Villa vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- West Ham U. vs. Burnley (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Nottingham Forest (Peacock)
11:45 am EDT -- Liverpool vs. Man C. (USA Network)

Monday
3:30 pm EDT -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Luton Town (Peacock)
An Arsenal win and a draw for Liverpool-Man City puts the Gunners on top.

• Angry

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I respectfully fart in your general direction.
Smells like victory, like the top of the table!

Arsenal 2-1 Brentford, full time. Havertz broke the tie at 86’.

Liverpool-MC at 11:45 tomorrow, Sunday, USA Network.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Liverpool 1-1 City, full time. Not an especially well-played match, real sloppy. Liverpool really screwed the pooch on the City goal, horrible defending on a corner kick, awful. Liverpool had two breakaways within five minutes in the second half, got nothing. A lot of respect between Klopp and Pep, nice. Most important stat: ARSENAL ON TOP OF THE TABLE!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Liverpool 1-1 City, full time. Not an especially well-played match, real sloppy. Liverpool really screwed the pooch on the City goal, horrible defending on a corner kick, awful. Liverpool had two breakaways within five minutes in the second half, got nothing. A lot of respect between Klopp and Pep, nice. Most important stat: ARSENAL ON TOP OF THE TABLE!

Latest posts