2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Interesting that Charlie Creme and Her Hoops Stats brackets both had Ohio State and VA Tech as the 2nd and 4th seed in our regional all the way up to selection Sunday. As it turned out, those 2 teams proved to be weak 2 and 4 seeds. Not that I'm complaining. If we can't beat Notre Dame and Indiana--assuming we even play them--then we don't deserve to win the national championship.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
I speculated in my preview that UNCarolina might start the game win a big lineup. I wonder if Dawn was thinking the same thing, which is why she started Watkins. Instead, Banghard started with her small lineup. She did go big at the end of the 1st quarter and the roof absolutely caved in on the Tarheels. Bad decision, imo, to wait until Fulwiley is in the game to go big. The game became too fast for them. In the 3 minutes the player with the Hispanic last name played, the Heels were -15. However, she pointed the finger at Deja Kelly for not defending on the perimeter.

View attachment 546237

It was Kelly's fault, but, to be fair, she was being asked to do a lot on the offensive end. Going small just meant she had to do even more on the defensive end.

Do you think Kelly comes back? She was clearly frustrated. I thought she was getting a little elbowy, pushy in the 2nd half. I was worried she might provoke one of our players. She just recently signed a NIL deal. Not sure if that is contingent on her staying at North Carolina. I would be surprised if she's drafted after this performance (she was already borderline), so an additional year in college is most likely for her.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
I speculated in my preview that UNCarolina might start the game win a big lineup. I wonder if Dawn was thinking the same thing, which is why she started Watkins. Instead, Banghard started with her small lineup. She did go big at the end of the 1st quarter and the roof absolutely caved in on the Tarheels. Bad decision, imo, to wait until Fulwiley is in the game to go big. The game became too fast for them. In the 3 minutes the player with the Hispanic last name played, the Heels were -15. However, she pointed the finger at Deja Kelly for not defending on the perimeter.

View attachment 546237

It was Kelly's fault, but, to be fair, she was being asked to do a lot on the offensive end. Going small just meant she had to do even more on the defensive end.

Do you think Kelly comes back? She was clearly frustrated. I thought she was getting a little elbowy, pushy in the 2nd half. I was worried she might provoke one of our players. She just recently signed a NIL deal. Not sure if that is contingent on her staying at North Carolina. I would be surprised if she's drafted after this performance (she was already borderline), so an additional year in college is most likely for her.
It has become obvious by some of her comments that they late season physcial play by other teams had shook Chloe's confidence. Teams have tried to start games quickly by being physical and going at Chloe when she on defense. Watkins solves that problem and thus they gamecocks are starting quicker and being able to deliver the first blow in terms of physcial play. Also this seems to be working for Chloe in coming in and being able to immediately get engaged in her offensive game.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
It has become obvious by some of her comments that they late season physcial play by other teams had shook Chloe's confidence. Teams have tried to start games quickly by being physical and going at Chloe when she on defense. Watkins solves that problem and thus they gamecocks are starting quicker and being able to deliver the first blow in terms of physcial play. Also this seems to be working for Chloe in coming in and being able to immediately get engaged in her offensive game.
Great observation! I’m so happy for Chloe!

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I think between the two I would prefer to play Oklahoma over Indiana. They are both teams that heavily reliant on their starters and go about 7 deep.

Oklahoma doesn't have much size and the size they do have is at the end of the bench. They are a team that lives and die by the 3. If they are on they can be dangerous. Despite their size they also rebound the ball pretty well and is 2nd in the country with assists. They have some solid wins including beating Texas twice but I'm not sure if they have the right personnel to beat us.

Indiana isn't much bigger than Oklahoma but they have more overall size within their starting lineup. They also have an elite big in Holmes. They are well balanced and their whole starting lineup averages 10+ points a game. They lead the country in field goal percentage (we're 3rd) and lead the country in 3 point percentage (we're 2nd). I think Indiana is the overall better team between the two and have more experience with big games.

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022
Clark hit 8 3's and Iowa scored 85 against LSU and they still lost by 18 points because LSU didn't have 3 starters combine to score 1 field goal. I stand by my statement.
3 starters collectively making one field goal! If you add AB to the list it was 4 starters going 3 for 24. Boston, 2-9, Beall 1-9, Fletcher 0-4, Saxton 0-2. Essentially Zia Cooke and our second string came within 4 points of beating Iowa last year. The loss will haunt us and that team for years. Almost 50 years ago I lost a conference championship on bad plays in crunch time. Even today, I vividly recall those bad plays.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I think I would rather pla

I think I would rather play Oklahoma.
Indiana is two different teams: a home team and a road team. I guess most teams are that way. Look at the difference between our two games against North Carolina this season. It seems especially the case with Indiana, though. They are undefeated at home, but they also have multiple 20+ point losses on the road.

If Oklahoma wins at Indiana, then they must be a pretty good team. Iowa couldn't win there after all. So even though, on paper, Oklahoma looks like the better matchup, I'm torn.

Big day for the Big Ten. Iowa State pushed around Maryland in their game. How will Indiana and Iowa fair today against OU and West Virginia?

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
I really don't think Clark really killed us. I get it she was the leading scorer and everything, but who really killed us is Czinano. We often try to give dominant scorers tough looks and sometimes they still succeed despite pretty good defense. We've seen that quite a few times over the years with Pili, Alexis Morris, Rhyne Howard and more.

The difference is that we usually shut everyone else down because one player even hot shooting can't defeat a team. So while many hated the gameplan I didn't mind that Beal was shutting down a recently hot shooting Gabbie Marshall for a majority of the game.

The problem lies with Aliyah getting in uncharacteristic (horrible calls) foul trouble and was never able to recover from it. Czinano also in foul trouble didn't let that stop her and was able to use her footwork to get by our remaining posts, similar to how Pili was able to take advantage of our posts this year.
She and Clark beat us on that pick and roll 4-5 times With Czinano rolling free to the hoop. They were dragging our post players out to the top of the key all game, we took the bait every time.

Reactions: Uscg1984

B.Cocky

Feb 1, 2022
No player development going on at LSU. Body by Binnetti would have squared her away. You must remember where her Role Models are doing on the team. They were all out doing advertising gigs all summer and came into the season out of shape as a team.
It’s her attitude for me just doesn’t seem like she’d and she was a package deal with Valdez, not even Binetti could help her be a starter.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Snudda Collins quit Ole Miss? She was a starter for most of the season. She was one of their few players with much range on her shot. Notre Dame packing in the zone.

Reactions: PFUNK Cock

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Snudda Collins quit Ole Miss? She was a starter for most of the season. She was one of their few players with much range on her shot. Notre Dame packing in the zone.
I want to say that I don't have any inside knowledge on this. I heard some speculation it could be like a grades thing. So it wasn't exactly planned for her to be gone, just poor timing.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Hail, Dawn Staley!

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

She started Watkins and in the 1st 4 seconds of the game, she was at the foul line. Love it! If you think your best lineup includes AW, then play that lineup from the beginning. Man, did they ever set the tone. And Chloe still came in relatively early and played her usual minutes. It's more about a mentality of playing with a sense of urgency. Oh, and no Walker until the 4th, despite being up 30+ minutes for most of the game. SW got plenty of minutes in 4th. Again, it's just about mentality.

btw, I saw some unc fan complaints about Dawn laying it on, but Feagin is pretty deep on our bench. She barely played in the first game.
People are idiots. We have 10 total players, so in the blowout game our second five are playing. We can’t call off the dogs unless we just want to run the clock out every possession for a quarter and a half.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Anyone watching Tenn NC St? Tenn loves to get in a huge hole and dig themselves out 🤪

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022

View attachment 546237

She was forced to play point guard and that is not her position. With the limited draft picks she would be better served with coming back.

Reactions: DarkCock

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Who did the best coaching job with what they had to work with is imo who should win. I too, thought Vic did a really good job as he did not have the talent as say us or Stanford.

I'm hoping the final four will be: Carolina, IOWA, UCONN, and Texas (as it stands now)...

with the National Championship being : Carolina vs IOWA.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
Who did the best coaching job with what they had to work with is imo who should win. I too, thought Vic did a really good job as he did not have the talent as say us or Stanford.

I'm hoping the final four will be: Carolina, IOWA, UCONN, and Texas (as it stands now)...

with the National Championship being : Carolina vs IOWA.
The other half of the bracket opposite us is just brutal. Iowa, LSU, UCLA, UCONN, and So. Cal. Great for TV viewing.....should be fun!

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
I forgot how sensitive and easily triggered people are these days. My remark was certainly not meant to be political. It was just the first thing that popped into my mind last night when I saw her actions. My point was that she may want to consider retirement. Anyhow, I apologize to anyone I may have offended and have deleted my post.

Go Cocks!!!

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I forgot how sensitive and easily triggered people are these days. My remark was certainly not meant to be political. It was just the first thing that popped into my mind last night when I saw her actions. My point was that she may want to consider retirement. Anyhow, I apologize to anyone I may have offended and have deleted my post.

Go Cocks!!!
Why apologize?

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
I'm not here to make enemies. Some people are just soft and ignorant and can't help themselves. I feel sorry for them....

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I hate how much the refs are influencing games. First LSU was bailed out by the refs and today Iowa has been as well. I feel bad for these players who played a winning game on the road only to lose by phantom fouls and uncalled fouls on their end.
Still amazes me we made it through the tournament in 2017 with 6-ish players (Freshman Kiki played a little. Mostly Cliney was our bench). Somehow A'ja was only in foul trouble in one game (FSU). I hate being at the mercy of the officials.

I feel like this year's team is about as "official proof" as we could hope for. We aren't nearly as dependent on post players for scoring as we've been in year's past.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Go Cocks!!!
Thanks.

I have strong political views that run counter to many on this board. I have been baited and baited others into political skirmishes on this board. In retrospect most of them I wish I hadn’t but I couldn’t resist at times.
I get joy from this thread because it tries(not always succeeds) to be just USC WBB focused. Of course we taunt Mulkey, but she is the WWE villian/flavor of the month.

I too think Tara has been basketball weird the last 2 years. How little she played Betts or Iriafen last year was criminal but she generally is a good person. She was nominated this year I believe because of career wins. A career tip of the hat.

Schaefer should have been nominated for COY. I think he was passed over not because of sexism but because he is despised by almost all coaches and those around the sport.

Friends of mine who work in “da bidness” of WBB say he puts on a good face in public. They also tell me he is impossible to work with. Is just mean and an A$$ and often just cruel.

Several friends even say Mulkey and Vic are the two worst human beings associated with college WBB. One even jokingly begged me to “take care of” Mulkey when she came to the CLA.