2023 NCAA Championship Session I Thread

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
RBY up next and it looks like they might wait until ESPN returns from commercial on the regular feed before starting his match.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
R1 141: #6 seed Beau Bartlett vs. #27 seed Shannon Hannah (Campbell) (I'll use SH for him)

Per 1
Beau in on a single, elevates, and gets the TD, 2-0. OOB with 2:11 left. Beau really working the right arm. Now SH to his feet, but tripped back down, then back up again, and a stall warning on Beau and an esc by SH, 2-1. (Call was correct, as Beau was behind him and not doing anything.) RT over 1 min for Beau. Beau with a headlock, nearly had a cradle but then spun behind and got the TD, 4-1. They are on the edge, and SH is flat. End. RT @ 1:43 for Beau

Per 2
SH takes bottom. Optional start by Beau and SH is away, 4-2. Beau sort of shoots, nothing. Collar ties. Beau shoots on a counter but while getting deep, SH is able to stave it off. 30 sec left. Beau with a throw by, nothing. End. RT @ 1:46 for Beau

Per 3
Beau takes bottom. SH gives him a neutral start, 5-2. Beau in, and SH counters, they scramble, and a stoppage for PD with 1:20 left. RT is locked for Beau. SH shoots a single, Beaut tries a counter, nothing. 30 sec left. Beau tries a throw by, nothing. Beau in on head inside single, he has SH bouncing, and gets a TD with 1 sec. With 1:46 in RT, it's an 8-2 DEC!!!

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
SVN in trouble. Down 0-4 after a TD and NF for the kid from MD.

Geez. E. MIller from MD just tilting Van Ness at will now. 0-8 for SVN.

Reactions: Charles Brown

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
133 pounds: Roman Bravo-Young, Penn State vs. Ethan Oakley, App State

First period
Quick single to a double and a drive through for a fast score. He now works for a turning combination on the right side of Oakley. After a ride of 2:19, Oakley escapes to 2-1. Late single for RBY gives him a 4-1 lead after one.

Second period
RBY quickly out to 5-1. Shoot and score for RBY, it's 7-1. RBY rides out the period. He has 3:19 in RT so that's secured. We'll say 8-1 after two.

Third period
Oakley down. And out, to 8-2. Oakley shoots RBY counters and it's 10-2. Oakley out to 10-3. Oakley on a single but RBY is way too fast and he circles for a takedown to 12-3. That's the final.

RBY d Oakley, 12-3 with 4:37 in riding time.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Would be huge if they award Beau the NF here although I am not sure he got it.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Remember that Nick Lee got decked his first tournament in the first round to guy he beat easily from Maryland. He fought back for 5th so even if SVN drops this one he can do some damage on the back side.

Reactions: BlisterSister

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
Remember that Nick Lee got decked his first tournament in the first round to guy he beat easily from Maryland. He fought back for 5th so even if SVN drops this one he can do some damage on the back side.
I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope history repeats.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Penn State second round matchups

133 pounds:
No. 1 Roman Bravo Young, Penn State vs. No. 17 Brady Palmer, Chattanooga

141 pounds: No. 6 Beau Bartlett, PSU vs. No. 11 Clay Carlson, North Dakota State

Reactions: fp

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
149 R1: #12 seed Shayne Van Ness vs. #21 seed Ethen Miller (Maryland) (I'll use EM)

Per 1
A flurry (I missed the opening due to switching screens from Bartlett), but eventually EM gets the TD, and then he tilts him and gets 2 NF, 0-4. EM with a 2-on-1 tilt and gets 4 NF, and it's 0-8. And all of this started with a good TD shot by Van Ness, but EM countered, then a scramble. Van Ness nearly with a REV before the end of the period, but he runs out of time. End. RT @ ??

Per 2
Van Ness takes bottom. He works up. EM stays on the feet, and gets a stall warning with 1:38 left. Van Ness to his feet off the whistle, then is out as EM tries a return, 1-8. RT @ 1:59 for Van Ness. Van ness working in with undercooks. Stalemate with 51 sec left. Van Ness with a sloppy shot and nearly gets caught. Then Van Ness with a double, EM reaches over, Van Ness trying to expose the back, EM avoids it, and Van Ness gets the TD, 8-3. Challenge brick thrown by Maryland as the period ends. TD is waved off, and 6 sec is put back on the board. End. RT @ 1:58 for EM

Per 3
EM takes bottom. Van Ness cuts him, 1-9. Van Ness in on a single for the TD, 3-9. He cuts him, 3-10. Van Ness with a TD and had a tilt but EM rolled thru, 5-10. Van Ness Cuts him, 5-11. OOB with 1:06 left. Van Ness with a quick ankle pick and gets the TD, 7-11. Van Ness cuts him, 7-12. Stall warning on EM. Van Ness with a TD to a pin!!!!! Wow. 6:26 is the time of the fall!!!!!!! That was wild. Great 3rd period by Van Ness.

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
149 R1: #12 seed Shayne Van Ness vs. #21 seed Ethen Miller (Maryland) (I'll use EM)

Per 1
A flurry (I missed the opening due to switching screens from Bartlett), but eventually EM gets the TD, and then he tilts him and gets 2 NF, 0-4. EM with a 2-on-1 tilt and gets 4 NF, and it's 0-8. And all of this started with a good TD shot by Van Ness, but EM countered, then a scramble. Van Ness nearly with a REV before the end of the period, but he runs out of time. End. RT @ ??

Per 2
Van Ness takes bottom. He works up. EM stays on the feet, and gets a stall warning with 1:38 left. Van Ness to his feet off the whistle, then is out as EM tries a return, 1-8. RT @ 1:59 for Van Ness. Van ness working in with undercooks. Stalemate with 51 sec left. Van Ness with a sloppy shot and nearly gets caught. Then Van Ness with a double, EM reaches over, Van Ness trying to expose the back, EM avoids it, and Van Ness gets the TD, 8-3. Challenge brick thrown by Maryland as the period ends. TD is waved off, and 6 sec is put back on the board. End. RT @ 1:58 for EM

Per 3
EM takes bottom. Van Ness cuts him, 1-9. Van Ness in on a single for the TD, 3-9. He cuts him, 3-10. Van Ness with a TD and had a tilt but EM rolled thru, 5-10. Van Ness Cuts him, 5-11. OOB with 1:06 left. Van Ness with a quick ankle pick and gets the TD, 7-11. Van Ness cuts him, 7-12. Stall warning on EM. Van Ness with a TD to a pin!!!!! Wow. 6:26 is the time of the fall!!!!!!! That was wild. Great 3rd period by Van Ness.
The calls by Byers are EPIC! I swear- my all-time favorite of any sport, ever. I get so jazzed I could run thru a wall!

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021

Per 1

Per 2

Per 3
EM takes bottom. Van Ness cuts him, 1-9. Van Ness in on a single for the TD, 3-9. He cuts him, 3-10. Van Ness with a TD and had a tilt but EM rolled thru, 5-10. Van Ness Cuts him, 5-11. OOB with 1:06 left. Van Ness with a quick ankle pick and gets the TD, 7-11. Van Ness cuts him, 7-12. Stall warning on EM. Van Ness with a TD to a pin!!!!! Wow. 6:26 is the time of the fall!!!!!!!
Wish I could have been there this season. These are the matches that light up a section of the arena and everyone else looks around with that “ what’s going on “ look. So much fun! Way to go SVN.

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
Yeah all I have is ESPNU and the running play by play. It's upsetting that ESPN3 view of individual matches is not free this year.