2023 NCAA Championship Session IV Thread

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
T
He was seeded 6th and will finish either 3rd or 4th. Either way, he wrestled better than his seed and validated the move from 149 to 141.

Even more so for Van Ness, who was seeded 12th and has guaranteed himself a similar finish.
Top 6

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
I’ll predict 3 champions for us tomorrow. Will see. All have very tough matches. Gotta bring our A+ matches.

Reactions: Ntlion

KSLion

Oct 6, 2021
He was only at 149 because Lee was one point better than him in wrestleoffs. This is his natural weight. He bumped for the good of the team.
Everyone, myself included, thought it was the right move for him this year and that 141 was his natural weight. But you're never absolutely certain until he gets out on the mat and actually wrestles somebody else's No. 1's. He's 22 and it's not impossible that 141 could become increasingly tough to make.

psufan07

Nov 10, 2021
Scoring related question regarding Dean. Is he done scoring points for the team race? Or can he get an additional team point for getting 7th tomorrow?

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021

This woman embarrassed herself, and maybe others in her family, but thanks to the interwebs, her fun tirade will live on for many, many years. That's the part I feel somewhat sorry about for her - this was possibly her worst moment ever, and she will be judged by it for a long time by people who know nothing about her. Like I did, tonight - my first thought was that I was glad my mother would have never done that.
Hopefully her son has more poise and presence of mind than she demonstrated tonight.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This woman embarrassed herself, and maybe others in her family, but thanks to the interwebs, her fun tirade will live on for many, many years. That's the part I feel somewhat sorry about for her - this was possibly her worst moment ever, and she will be judged by it for a long time by people who know nothing about her. Like I did, tonight - my first thought was that I was glad my mother would have never done that.
Hopefully her son has more poise and presence of mind than she demonstrated tonight.

Yeah, that part of it (that the vision of it will stick with her for years) caused me to think long and hard about whether to post it. But anybody that was watching the broadcast on ESPN saw this, and there were several comments about it in this thread at the time it was shown by ESPN. I checked the web, and there were stories and tweets about it all over the place, as well as no storage of places where the video was posted. In short, there was nothing to be gained, IMHO, from not posting it, as it was only a matter of time before it made it to this board. So I placed it in the Session IV thread, which is when it took place.

Last edited:

KSLion

Oct 6, 2021

It's natural and normal for a parent to feel very sad, brokenhearted or be tearful for a wrestler following a tough-, and in this case embarrassing-, pin fall loss to an opponent he was expected to straightforwardly dispatch en route to a fourth national title. But a physically destructive, public temper tantrum adds a whole different dimension to the parental response.

For all of us, significant life adversity, whenever it may come, whatever form it may take, always provides a litmus test of our true character. It shows us who we really are when the going gets tough and, despite our best efforts, things just don't work out the way we'd like, hope or expect. Her son's unexpected encounter with significant athletic adversity showed exactly that for Mrs. Lee today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, that part of it (that the vision of it will stick with her for years) caused me to think long and hard about whether to post it. But anybody that was watching the broadcast on ESPN saw this, and there were several comments about it at in this thread at the time it was shown by ESPN. I checked the web, and there were stories and tweets about it all over the place, as well as no storage of places where the video was posted. In short, there was nothing to be gained, IMHO, from not posting it, as it was only a matter of time before it made it to this board. So I placed it in the Session IV thread, which is when it took place.
I'm with ya on that.
Nothing explicitly wrong with posting it here, or anywhere. ESPN, fwiw, had no issues with showing it within seconds of it happening, and that opened the floodgates. This is an annual ESPN showcase event where they take great strides to celebrate the athletes and their families, yet gleefully threw her under the bus as fast as they could. And maybe she is not a good person and therefore so be it if you ask me. And worse things from truly good people have gone viral and hung around, sometimes completely unfairly so, so in the greater sphere, it's nowhere near the worst thing going imo.
If she is asked about it and can compose herself and use some emotional intelligence, she can make something good out of it with a mea culpa and cautionary tale for others. Many parents will relate either to the pure awfulness or to the me culpa and a promise to themselves to never repeat it.
I appreciate that you took the time to consider it before posting. Not sure I would have - I was already thinking about the countless situations it will be a perfect meme for!

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
On 3/17 of all days.

Matt Ramos’ interview after the pin.

Last edited:

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
Yeah, that part of it (that the vision of it will stick with her for years) caused me to think long and hard about whether to post it. But anybody that was watching the broadcast on ESPN saw this, and there were several comments about it in this thread at the time it was shown by ESPN. I checked the web, and there were stories and tweets about it all over the place, as well as no storage of places where the video was posted. In short, there was nothing to be gained, IMHO, from not posting it, as it was only a matter of time before it made it to this board. So I placed it in the Session IV thread, which is when it took place.
Just goes to show that parents and family who live vicariously through their athlete kids also experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. (She may have taken it to another level).

Reactions: PSU2169

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
Yes, you don't want to embarrass anyone, but it was out there in many venues and you did it the right way.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Just goes to show that parents and family who live vicariously through their athlete kids also experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. (She may have taken it to another level).
If this is the worst this she does when she is upset I think she will be okay. Even if you don't live vicariously through your kids dreams (all parents who are involved do this on some level), watching them not achieve their goals can be difficult.

Last edited:

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

Originally I felt incredibly bad for Spencer and his mom. I know that Spencer is crushed and it felt like his mom’s reaction was more of an empathetic reaction because she doesn’t want her son to hurt like he was. Brands immediately walked Spencer back to the locker room.

However the more I think about it the less bad I feel for Spencer and his mom. I only feel as bad for them as I do for any other semi finalist and their parents. Spencer Lee has crushed the dreams and goals of plenty of other wrestlers his whole life including three semi finalists in the NCAA tournament and three other finalists. I don’t think I should feel anything more for Spencer. He has 3 titles.

There were 19 other mothers who’s kid lost a semi final last night and as far as I know none of them threw a tantrum in the stands.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
They said she was a Judo coach and/or former Judo athlete. Some of these reactions would make one think she grabbed somebody and slammed them down.

Be glad she didn't have that reaction. Lol

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
I didn't think what she did was bad at all. It was simply pure emotion.

Apparently Lee has medically forfeited the rest of his matches FWIW.

Latest posts