2023 NCAA Championship Session VI (Finals) Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up the night before, so that everyone knows the plan. Please allow this thread to sit idle until after the conclusion of Session V.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session VI of the 2023 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 16, 7:00 pm EDT

Where:
Bok Center, Tulsa, OK

TV:
ESPN

Video Streaming:
ESPN+, for those that are subscribers.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 6:40 pm EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 7:00 pm EDT. (LionVision indicates it's starting at 6:20, but all the pre-Session broadcasts have started 20 minutes before the wrestling, and Byers said at the end of Session V that he'll be back at 6:40 pm EDT tonight.) You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=29&type=team

There is a good chance that PSU will have locked up the Team Championship before the start of this Session. Update: PSU did lock up the team title during Session V.

PBP:
By tradition, I do not do PBP for PSU wresters in the Finals. I started that tradition many years ago, and with all the success PSU has had since I started it, I see no reason to mess with a winning formula. My thinking when I started it (and still today) is that I do all this work in the first five sessions with the PBP, and miss some things as a result. It's nice to sit back and just enjoy the matches involving PSU wrestlers.) That said, I will be participating in the thread, and discussing what happens in the matches involving PSU wrestlers. @GregPickel will also be in the thread -- I haven't discussed with him if he'll do PBP in the finals. I'm sure Greg will post his plans.

PSU may have clinched the team title during the Saturday morning session. If not, then they should clinch it during this session. Between that, and PSU having five wrestlers in the finals, we should have a lot to celebrate. Let's have some fun!

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I've often watched the last session of the NCAAs but this is the first time I've ever closely followed the entire tournament. A big thank you to @GregPickel and @Tom McAndrew and all the knowledgeable fans on this forum for their great insight. It's been an enjoyable experience!

happy you joined along for the ride.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Yianni in the main. He wins, he gets the Hodge.

that will not happen.

From the below link:

"Originally created to celebrate the pin in college wrestling, the Dan Hodge Trophy is based on seven criteria including record, number of pins, dominance, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart."

The bold was added by me. Yianni lost go Gomez during the season. He's a great wrestler, has represented the sport very well, and has had a great college career. But if there are undefeated wrestlers in a season, an individual with one or more losses on the season is not going to win the Hodge.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So the NCAA is starting the competition at 157 this evening. I wonder what they would have done if both Spencer Lee and Yianni had made the finals? Would they have ended at 125, would they have ended at 149, or would they have used the normal sequence?

The finalists are (listed in order of seed)

157: #1 seed Austin O'Connor (UNC) vs. #2 seed Levi Haines

165: #1 seed David Carr (Iowa St.) vs. #2 seed Keegan O'Toole (Missouri)

174: #1 seed Carter Starocci vs. #2 seed Mikey Labriola (Nebraska)

184: #1 seed Parker Keckeisen (U. of Northern Iowa) vs. #3 seed Aaron Brooks

197: #1 seed Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) vs. #7 seed Tanner Sloan (S. Dakota St.)

285: #1 seed Mason Parris (Michigan) vs. #3 seed Greg Kerkvliet

125: #2 seed Patrick Glory (Princeton) vs. #4 seed Matt Ramos (Purdue)

133: #1 seed Roman Bravo-Young vs. #3 seed Vito Arujau (Cornell)

141: #1 seed Real Woods (Iowa) vs. #2 seed Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado)

149: #1 seed Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) vs. #2 seed Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)

Last edited:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
So the NCAA is starting the competition at 157 this evening. I wonder what they would have done if both Spencer Lee and Yianni had made the finals? Would they have ended at 125, would they have ended at 149, or would they have used the normal sequence?

The finalists are (listed in order of seed)

157: #1 seed Austin O'Connor (UNC) vs. #2 seed Levi Haines

165: #1 seed David Carr (Iowa St.) vs. #2 seed Keegan O'Toole (Missouri)

174: #1 seed Carter Starocci vs. #2 seed Mikey Labriola (Nebraska)

184: #1 seed Parker Keckeisen (U. of Northern Iowa) vs. #3 seed Aaron Brooks

197: #1 seed Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) vs. #7 seed Tanner Sloan (S. Dakota St.)

285: #1 seed Mason Parris (Michigan) vs. #3 seed Greg Kerkvliet

125: #2 seed Patrick Glory (Princeton) vs. #4 seed Matt Ramos (Purdue)

133: #1 seed Roman Bravo-Young vs. #3 seed Vito Arujau (Cornell)

141: #1 seed Real Woods (Iowa) vs. #2 seed Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado)

149: #1 seed Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) vs. Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)
Gut feeling says they would have either started at 149 and ended at 125. But it's a fantastic question to ponder (albeit with no answer).

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Side story for those of you who have been with us all weekend: I've mentioned a few times about how lucky I was to time the dogs needing to go out with break in Penn State action. Well, with tonight's lineup, I didn't see how it would work if we didn't go now. Was paying attention to one and not the other, and didn't he go, and I stepped right in it! Oh, well. At least the first two days went off without a hitch. They're now working on scoring backpoints behind me. The action on the actual mats is almost here!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
so ...

- 9 #1 seeds made it to the finals

- 5 weight classes have a clash of #1 seed vs. #2 seed in the finals

- a #7 seed was the lowest seed to make it to a final, and that happened in the 197 weight class, which everyone seemed to think was an insane bracket

- PSU wrestlers are the lower seed in 3 finals, and the higher seed in 2 finals

Reactions: Bob78 and BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
COVID has caused a lot of strange things in college sports. I'll add this to the list:

Reactions: cb1994

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Alright friends, one more session. Hope everyone is buckled up for some FIREWORKS.

my personal biggest hopes for the evening are for 1 of Kerk and Levi to pull of the upset and for CStar to keep the hope for 5 alive.

LETS DO IT

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Is anyone else going to have "the best freaking night of my life" stuck in their head for a week? I think that's been the Byers' bump music 75 percent of the time!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Haines - O'Connor -- this is a tough one to handicap. It should be a good battle

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
157 pounds: Levi Haines vs. Austin O'Connor, North Carolina

First period
Quick tie up and then the break apart. Haines gets a wrist but then they break apart again. Haines drops in on a shot but they end up standing. OC shoots but Haines fends it off and they break apart. Haines ducks in on a leg but O'Connor squares up and has an underhook and the period ends.

Second period
Haines down to start. OC works on legs as Haines tries to roll through and. he does and stands but OC brings him back to the mat and then Haines sits in and stands and they go off the edge of the mat. There is 1:15 left :)45 RT for OC). Haines tries a roll through off the restart and is working to stand does OC has his left leg hiked up and at the edge it's close but no escape is awarded as they go off the edge. Before all of that though OC was awarded two nearfall points. Penn State challenges that. I frankly did not see the swipes live. The swipes have been waved off. So it's still 0-0. Restart with a minute left. OC has a leg in and starts a ride. Haines stands and is nearly out but they go off the edge. Still 0-0. OC has 1:42 of RT. Haines stands off the restart turns in OC has a leg Haines turns in again but OC rides out the period. 0-0. But OC has 1:59 of RT.

Third period
OC down. And he's out to 1-0. Haines will need a takedown to even things up. OC shoots on the edge on a double and converts it for a 3-0 lead, and it'll soon be 4-0 with the RT point. Haines out to 3-1. OC shoots again and circles in for a takedown and a 5-1 lead. It's 6-1 with the RT. Haines out to 6-2. Haines shoots but cannot connect.

O"Connor d. Haines, 6-2

Latest posts