2023 NCAA Championship Session VI (Finals) Thread

Richmin3

Dec 1, 2021
So the NCAA is starting the competition at 157 this evening. I wonder what they would have done if both Spencer Lee and Yianni had made the finals? Would they have ended at 125, would they have ended at 149, or would they have used the normal sequence?

The finalists are (listed in order of seed)

157: #1 seed Austin O'Connor (UNC) vs. #2 seed Levi Haines

165: #1 seed David Carr (Iowa St.) vs. #2 seed Keegan O'Toole (Missouri)

174: #1 seed Carter Starocci vs. #2 seed Mikey Labriola (Nebraska)

184: #1 seed Parker Keckeisen (U. of Northern Iowa) vs. #3 seed Aaron Brooks

197: #1 seed Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) vs. #7 seed Tanner Sloan (S. Dakota St.)

285: #1 seed Mason Parris (Michigan) vs. #3 seed Greg Kerkvliet

125: #2 seed Patrick Glory (Princeton) vs. #4 seed Matt Ramos (Purdue)

133: #1 seed Roman Bravo-Young vs. #3 seed Vito Arujau (Cornell)

141: #1 seed Real Woods (Iowa) vs. #2 seed Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado)

149: #1 seed Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) vs. #2 seed Sammy Sasso (Ohio State)
Tough opener for the freshman

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Tough one. O'Connor initiated no offense. But he was good at blocking Haines on Haines' shots, and then countering.

Haines performed well above expectations as a true freshman, and should only get better.

So, “We deserve better“ doesn’t apply here? Good to know.

o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Lions1

Nov 1, 2021
6 years in college versus true freshmen Levi doesn’t seem quite fair

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Wow what a great match from O Toole!!! Don’t see David Carr get beat that cleanly

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Wow what a great match from O Toole!!! Don’t see David Carr get beat that cleanly

yeah. O'Toole's only losses this season (2) were to Carr. They met 2 weeks again in the Big 12 final, where Carr pinned him in SV.

Carr made a big mistake in the 3rd period. He had an advantage in the scramble, and decided to switch what he was doing, which immediately gave the advantage to O'Toole.

Fun match; had me moving all over the couch to try to assist one or the other to complete a move.

Reactions: gpsu88

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Smart riding by O'Connor...he simply laced Levi's ankle and sat back. At one point in time, that was considered stalling on top. I guess it isn't anymore.

that in of itself is no longer stalling. If you do nothing at all with it (I think O'Connor did a bit more than you're giving him credit for, beyond just sitting back), the ref could ding you for stalling. But that's more if you're sitting back, and making no effort with your hands to either try to turn the bottom guy to control him as he moves about.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
174 pounds: Carter Starocci vs. Mike Labriola

First period
Good action early but no scoring. Neutral with 1:23 left. Starocci is in on a shot and finishes it for a 2-0 lead. Starocci starts a ride and they go off the edge with 26 seconds left. Starocci catches Labriola off the restart and there's a fall.

Carter Starocci winner by fall in the finals in 2:46

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I remember when CStar won his 1st title. He was, at least to me, a surprise winner that year. Now, no matter what the challenge, he figures out a way to win. It was a dumb roll by Labriola in that situation, but CStar used some good technique to trap him, then to keep the arm pinned so Labriola couldn't move/get off his back, and then CStar readjusted to get the pin.

Reactions: headlock

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Erie's finest. Way to go Cartere, growing as a wrestler and as a man. The maturity is really developing.

I could be me, but all the winners have been really grateful for their coaches and support systems.

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
He’s not going to get the Hoge but for my money Aaron Brooks is the best wrestler in this tournament and idk if anyone is pushing him too much.

What an incredible talent. Makes really challenging things look effortless. Congrats on ANOTHER championship AB!!!!!

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
184 pounds: Aaron Brooks cs. Parker Keckeisen

First period
Brooks working on a single nad has Keckeisen's leg in the air. Keckisen drops to the mat and Brooks finishes it for a 2-0 lead. He rides out the period. It's 2-0 Brooks after one.

Second period
PK is down and escapes to 2-1. Brooks gets in on a single and PK cannot fend it off. He leads 4-1. And they go off the edge. PK gets second caution off restart. AB starts a ride after PK almost circled out but PK stuck with him. PK does stand and it's 4-2. That's the score at the end of two.

Third period
AB down to start. PK jumps, third caution and a point for AB, it's 5-2. On restart, AB gets out to 6-2 PK drops in on a leg as AB sprawls back and it's a stalemate with 1:04 to go. They lock up with 48 seconds left. They circle and now AB drops in on a leg but they square up and break apart. It ends neutral. AB gets RT.

Aaron Brooks wins a national title by decision over Parker Keckeisen, 7-2

Latest posts