2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
You would think somebody from Stanford would understand the difference between the cumulative effect of frequent cross-country travel versus a few isolated instances of it. There's also a big difference between getting yourself psyched up to fly to San Antonio to play in the NCAA tournament and getting yourself psyched up to play a mid-week game in Miami, Clemson, or Boston that is sandwiched between a calculus test on Tuesday and a group presentation on Thursday or Friday - and then maybe doing it all again for a Saturday game on the east coast.
Even "intelligent" people rationalize. It's how they get through life when circumstances run counter to their comfort.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
regarding certain top players looking to transfer for a fresh start, playing time, or the almighty $NIL$, is it a blessing or a curse that SC has the deepest roster in women’s college basketball at the beginning of portal season ?

how active should or will we be ?

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
The talent level in wBB has been elevated and after watching the McDonald’s game, I am very impressed with the level of play. All of the girls who played displayed a high level of skill and confidence. They were diving for balls and no one backed down.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
regarding certain top players looking to transfer for a fresh start, playing time, or the almighty $NIL$, is it a blessing or a curse that SC has the deepest roster in women’s college basketball at the beginning of portal season ?

It's better to have great players than be looking for players.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022

A player who likes/loves everything Gamecocks on social media is Taliah Scott. I think she may have been a possibility had Paopao not returned. As it stands now, we have 3 "small guards"--Raven, Paopao, Fulwiley--who all should get starter minutes next season. Throw in McDaniel and I can't see how Scott could get enough playing time to be happy.

It's similar with the bigs. No doubt in my mind that Dawn is going to reward Feagin for staying with substantial minutes in the upcoming season, even if she doesn't actually start. I don't believe coach is going to bring in someone to take minutes from her returnees. I really like what I see of Lazaria Spearman, a player who had us in her final 3. I think she would be more effective than Sakima Walker and she's younger. I'm not trying to run off Walker, though. She was part of a national championship team and if she wants to come back, then she's earned it.

That doesn't leave many opportunities for transfers. We REALLY need a young "big guard" to back up Tessa when Bree graduates. We haven't replaced Cooper or Jah yet. Currently, Emely Rodriquez has us in her final 5. She is a possibility. We are also recruiting 3 6'1'' players in the 2025 class. But if we could find someone in the portal who is willing to play limited minutes this coming season, then that would be ideal. Unfortunately, most portal players are thinking short-term. At least, that's my impression.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Clarification of the graphic in the "X" which only lists five if the six games:

Kamilla had 22 points in the semifinals vs. NCSU in the final four.
Tessa had 19 in the finals vs Iowa.

Counting Kitts as a freshman, the frosh led the team in scoring four of the six games.

KC was, however, dominant for the season. Her production -- "on both sides of the ball" as Dawn likes to say -- will be hard to replace.

That idiom (?) drives me crazy. King can correct if I used the wrong term to describe "both sides of the ball." :ROFLMAO:
I think "idiom" well describes what that phrase is.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
A player who likes/loves everything Gamecocks on social media is Taliah Scott. I think she may have been a possibility had Paopao not returned. As it stands now, we have 3 "small guards"--Raven, Paopao, Fulwiley--who all should get starter minutes next season. Throw in McDaniel and I can't see how Scott could get enough playing time to be happy.

It's similar with the bigs. No doubt in my mind that Dawn is going to reward Feagin for staying with substantial minutes in the upcoming season, even if she doesn't actually start. I don't believe coach is going to bring in someone to take minutes from her returnees. I really like what I see of Lazaria Spearman, a player who had us in her final 3. I think she would be more effective than Sakima Walker and she's younger. I'm not trying to run off Walker, though. She was part of a national championship team and if she wants to come back, then she's earned it.

That doesn't leave many opportunities for transfers. We REALLY need a young "big guard" to back up Tessa when Bree graduates. We haven't replaced Cooper or Jah yet. Currently, Emely Rodriquez has us in her final 5. She is a possibility. We are also recruiting 3 6'1'' players in the 2025 class. But if we could find someone in the portal who is willing to play limited minutes this coming season, then that would be ideal. Unfortunately, most portal players are thinking short-term. At least, that's my impression.
Emotionally, portal time is difficult for us as Gamecock fans. All these wonderful players and they are going somewhere else. It’s liking watching other people open Christmas presents.

We have to remind ourselves that Dawn already went shopping and got Edwards, McDaniel and Tac.

We have taken 3 transfers in the last 5 years; Paopao, Cardoso and Destiny Littleton. Fit has been at least as important as talent. IF there is a fit out there with talent we need or is just too great to say no to Dawn will pursue. A’int no T’ea every coming in her house again.

Not counting this upcoming portal class UT has brought in 11 in 5 years LSU has brought in 9 in 3 years. They have brought in a lot of talent but also a lot of baggage.

Last edited:

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
I guess Kiki doesn't want any part of those ACC road trips either

This or perhaps she wants to have a shot at winning a championship. Don't see that happening now at Stanford in the near future. I'm speculating but I don't think NIL is a big factor for her either. If I were Dawn I would take her in a heartbeat if she were to indicate she had the slightest bit of interest in coming here....

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
I would love to have her but just don’t see it happening. Her natural position is the 4 even though she played the 5 at times. A lot of people think Notre dame will be her destination.

Reactions: DarkCock

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
That’s Awful Coaching. Screaming about bad coaching strategy. If it was up to him, every basketball coach would be fired. That’s his thing. It’s funny especially when he is right.
Hindsight coaching is always easier than real-time coaching, though. Every team has momentary defensive lapses in every sport, but great teams and great players make you pay for those mistakes. His ranting and raving would give the impression this was the worst defensive performance ever, but if Tessa and Bree don't actually make the shots, those plays likely wouldn't make his highlight reel. As said many times this year, a team just about has to play perfect basketball to beat this Gamecock squad and nobody can do that.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Emotionally, portal time is difficult for us as Gamecock fans. All these wonderful players and they are going somewhere else. It’s liking watching other people open Christmas presents.

We have to remind ourselves that Dawn already went shopping and got Edwards, McDaniel and Tac.

We have taken 3 transfers in the last 5 years; Paopao, Cardoso and Destiny Littleton. Fit has been at least as important as talent. IF there is a fit out there with talent we need or is just too great to say no to Dawn will pursue. A’int no T’ea every coming in her house again.

Not counting this upcoming portal class UT has brought in 11 in 5 years LSU has brought in 9 in 3 years. They have brought in a lot of talent but also a lot of baggage.
Good points. I would add we did recruit Day Wilson and Taylor from Duke, as well as Aneesha Morrow last year (possibly HVL. Can't remember).

I thought about them when I saw this tweet from Coach Yo

I think had Dawn promised them they could start, they would have probably been here. At least 1 or 2 of them. Paopao was the most obvious player who could come here and start right away. No promises needed to be made.

I think we could be in the market for a player who isn't looking to start. Dawn can certainly point to the success Cardoso had here by waiting her turn. If there is any program that could attract a quality to come off the bench, it's this one.

Looking back at last year, I was reluctant on Taylor and definitely Morrow. I didn't think either fit better than Bree at the 3, if Bree made improvements in her offensive game. I'm very proud of her for stepping up. She hit two memorable clutch shots: 4th quarter against LSU in Baton Rouge and in the national championship game. Also, if Morrow or Taylor had come here, then Tessa's development would have been delayed and she probably doesn't score 19 in the national championship game.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I would love to have her but just don’t see it happening. Her natural position is the 4 even though she played the 5 at times. A lot of people think Notre dame will be her destination.
If the 4 is the position she wants to play, then UCLA seems like a logical choice imo. She's from LA and the Bruins were in her top 5 out of high school. She probably shouldn't rely on coaches' promises she won't play the 5. Best to choose a team that already has a 6'7'' player on the roster.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I would love to have Kiki Iriafen, she's in my opinion was the better player this past season at Stanford and she can play either post position. Her speed, athleticism and ability to get 19/11 in only 28 minutes just screams Carolina player to me. Her game is very A'ja like.

If she doesn't consider us, I definitely think Notre Dame, Southern Cal and UCLA would all be great options for her. These 3 teams are all likely top 10 teams but her post presence puts those teams as final four favorites and she still gets to go to a top academic institution.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Good points. I would add we did recruit Day Wilson and Taylor from Duke, as well as Aneesha Morrow last year (possibly HVL. Can't remember).

I thought about them when I saw this tweet from Coach Yo

I think had Dawn promised them they could start, they would have probably been here. At least 1 or 2 of them. Paopao was the most obvious player who could come here and start right away. No promises needed to be made.

I think we could be in the market for a player who isn't looking to start. Dawn can certainly point to the success Cardoso had here by waiting her turn. If there is any program that could attract a quality to come off the bench, it's this one.

Looking back at last year, I was reluctant on Taylor and definitely Morrow. I didn't think either fit better than Bree at the 3, if Bree made improvements in her offensive game. I'm very proud of her for stepping up. She hit two memorable clutch shots: 4th quarter against LSU in Baton Rouge and in the national championship game. Also, if Morrow or Taylor had come here, then Tessa's development would have been delayed and she probably doesn't score 19 in the national championship game.

Number of things to respond to
We did not recruit HVL. She put up the do not contact and was a done deal to LSU before entering the portal.

I also was not high on Morrow coming here or honestly as a player. I was wrong. She is a beast at the 4 on the college level. She is a great 4 for college. She makes up for her lack of height on this level. That said, Mulkey promised to develop her as a 3. Well that was a lie. She is stuck at the 4 and will have develop herself at the 3. She will not make it in the WNBA as a 4

Do you find Coach Yo’s attitude just a bit off putting? She has scolded the fans and admin about attendance. She made just a tone deaf decision on Hillsman(and has not addressed the fallout) and subsequently fired all her assistants. Her post about portal and playing time is essentially what Dawn says but the attitude behind it feels belligerent and condescending. With that combative a nature with fans, players, media and admin where are your allies?

Last edited:

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Do you find Coach Yo’s attitude just a bit off putting? She has scolded the fans and admin about attendance. She made just a tone deaf decision on Hillsman(and has not addressed the fallout) and subsequently fired all her assistants. Her post about portal and playing time is essentially what Dawn says but the attitude behind it feels belligerent and condescending. With that combative a nature with fans, players, media and admin where are your allies?
I'm so disappointed in Coach Yo. That Hillsman hire is unforgivable and according to what Shakira Austin says he's not the only one to worry about.

Coach Yo held a spaces on Twitter right before the final four talking about recruiting and the portal. In my opinion she did herself no favors. She basically said she wanted immediate responses from recruits and she really didn't want to spend more than 24 hours on a recruit without a commitment and she didn't like 2nd visits.

It came across very tone deaf and if I was a recruit or parent that would be enough for me to not consider her program. I get that's it's tedious on her part but recruits getting a good a good feel of the coaching staff and campus is something to not rush for such a big decision.

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
I'm so disappointed in Coach Yo. That Hillsman hire is unforgivable and according to what Shakira Austin says he's not the only one to worry about.

Coach Yo held a spaces on Twitter right before the final four talking about recruiting and the portal. In my opinion she did herself no favors. She basically said she wanted immediate responses from recruits and she really didn't want to spend more than 24 hours on a recruit without a commitment and she didn't like 2nd visits.

It came across very tone deaf and if I was a recruit or parent that would be enough for me to not consider her program. I get that's it's tedious on her part but recruits getting a good a good feel of the coaching staff and campus is something to not rush for such a big decision.
She comes across as so envious of Dawn and everything she's built. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to care how she gets there. Very disapoointed in some of her latest antics.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Number of things to respond to
We did not recruit HVL. She put up the do not contact and was a done deal to LSU before entering the portal.

I also was not high on Morrow coming here or honestly as a player. I was wrong. She is a beast at the 4 on the college level. She is a great 4 for college. She makes up for her lack of height on this level. That said, Mulkey promised to develop her as a 3. Well that was a lie. She is stuck at the 4 and will have develop herself at the 3. She will not make it in the WNBA as a 4

This statement about portal player objectives is commendable to me. It comes off as playing things straight down the middle, something the college athletics landscape could use more of. In that regard, it is refreshing. Now, if she's only trying to channel Dawn, admittedly she might not be exactly hitting the mark.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This statement about portal player objectives is commendable to me. It comes off as playing things straight down the middle, something the college athletics landscape could use more of. In that regard, it is refreshing. Now, if she's only trying to channel Dawn, admittedly she might not be exactly hitting the mark.
Hmmm….
I don’t agree with those who say Coach Yo jealous of Dawn.

Dawn said, “If you want to score a lot of points and win POY honors, we are probably not the place for.” That never questions a kids heart. It recognizes that some kids want to be stars as well as win. She is making a statement about fitting into her vision of what makes a team great. By extension her belief is a player becomes truly great by being willing to sacrifice individual glory for team goals.

I feel Coach Yo in her imaginary conversation is mocking kids about being soft and not wanting to compete. It is dismissive in tone and questions a player’s heart under the disguise “knowing what you want”.

Reactions: PFUNK Cock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Ashlyn Watkins finished with the #2 defensive rating on HerHoopStats, behind only Rori Harmon of Texas, who only played about a 1/3 of the season. Watkins finished #1 in defensive rating during the NCAA tournament.

Interestingly, if you go to Raven Johnson's instragram profile, she received tons of congratulations from just about every prominent college player. She is very popular. Ashlyn Watkins, not so much. Watkins is not about making friends. lol. She's like a throwback to a Pistons player from the 80's. Clearly, she's rubbed some SEC coaches the wrong way; how else do you explain her not making the SEC all-defensive team or not winning 6th Woman of the Year award? She's an absolute dog and a true Gamecock. I can't wait for her to assume a bigger role next year. I'm only interested in portal players that are willing to back her up. Just my 2 cents.

(Oh yeah, we are now 70-0 in games in which she has played during her career)

Last edited:

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022
Ashlyn Watkins finished with the #2 defensive rating on HerHoopStats, behind only Rori Harmon of Texas, who only played about a 1/3 of the season. Watkins finished #1 in defensive rating during the NCAA tournament.

Interestingly, if you go to Raven Johnson's instragram profile, she received tons of congratulations from just about every prominent college player. She is very popular. Ashlyn Watkins, not so much. Watkins is not about making friends. lol. She's like a throwback to a Pistons player from the 80's. Clearly, she's rubbed some SEC coaches the wrong way; how else do you explain her not making the SEC all-defensive team or not winning 6th Woman of the Year award? She's an absolute dog and a true Gamecock. I can't wait for her to assume a bigger role next year. I'm only interested in portal players that are willing to back her up. Just my 2 cents.

(Oh yeah, we are now 70-0 in games in which she has played during her career)
Raven is very outgoing whereas Ashlyn is shy and quiet. Also, Ashlyn really isn't active at all on social media (at least not compared to other girls her age).

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Raven is very outgoing whereas Ashlyn is shy and quiet. Also, Ashlyn really isn't active at all on social media (at least not compared to other girls her age).
Oh, absolutely. And both are dogs. But Ashlyn plays with an edge. I love it.

She got a bit too emotional in the championship game, so she still needs to work on channeling that passion. I'm just glad she's on our team.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Today I found out we had 14 5 stars on our roster with Tessa Johnson being the lone 4 star this past season.

Where to start🤣🤣🤣🤣 Obviously talked with Nigel Tufnel

First we only have 12 on the roster and that is if you count Tac and Jah.

Then 9 five star 2 four star and I don’t know what Sakima ranking was

Next the episode number is incorrect it is not 510 but obviously 420

Lastly I believe our amps also go to 11 not 10

Last edited:

DeutschRock

Jan 20, 2022

Kierra Fletcher and Te'a Cooper (2017-2019)?

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Where to start🤣🤣🤣🤣 Obviously talked with Nigel Tufnel

First we only have 12 on the roster and that is if you count Tac and Jah.

Then 9 five star 2 four star and I don’t know what Sakima ranking was

Next the episode number is incorrect it is not 510 but obviously 420

Lastly I believe our amps also go to 11 not 10
Well he may be correct that Tessa was a 4 star but clearly the scouts got it wrong on her because she is a 5 star in my book 🤩

He wasn’t correct on so many other PPU ts though!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
...I feel Coach Yo in her imaginary conversation is mocking kids about being soft and not wanting to compete. It is dismissive in tone and questions a player’s heart under the disguise “knowing what you want”.
You know what, there might be an element of truth to all you said without anything the coach intimated about players, or that folks might have inferred, being rendered inaccurate.

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022
Hmmm….
I don’t agree with those who say Coach Yo jealous of Dawn.

Dawn said, “If you want to score a lot of points and win POY honors, we are probably not the place for.” That never questions a kids heart. It recognizes that some kids want to be stars as well as win. She is making a statement about fitting into her vision of what makes a team great. By extension her belief is a player becomes truly great by being willing to sacrifice individual glory for team goals.

I feel Coach Yo in her imaginary conversation is mocking kids about being soft and not wanting to compete. It is dismissive in tone and questions a player’s heart under the disguise “knowing what you want”.
Yet there are so many out there that do want to compete. Her dismissive comments only weakens her position. Trying to emulate Dawn is fine but the best route to success is to be oneself. There is only 1 that has accomplished all the Dawn has (both as a player and a coach). There is only one Geno. Mulkey is a whole different breed of coach but successful. Coach Yo needs to figure out who she is and sell it!

As far as players being soft, she is just wrong. WBB is alive and more competitive than ever. One cannot be soft and compete. Angel is a fierce competitor. So are Paige, Hildalgo, CC, Gabby Marshall, JuJu, Morrow, Lay, Tessa, Watkins, and the list goes on….

My take on Coach O is that she is the issue. It’s kind of like parents that say their kid is bad but neglect to acknowledge that they are the reason.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Kierra Fletcher and Te'a Cooper (2017-2019)?
Ahh, you are correct about Kierra and that would make it 4 in 5 years. Thanks for the correction.

T’ea would be outside the 5 year period. And she is one that thoroughly convinced Dawn, fit first, talent and need next. To this day Dawn will still not utter her name. Dawn and Kelsey Bone came to understanding but T’ea may be outside the fams forever.

Reactions: PFUNK Cock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
You know what, there might be an element of truth to all you said without anything the coach intimated about players, or that folks might have inferred, being rendered inaccurate

Here let me help you with some Hemingway style editing

You know what, I think your basic premise is correct.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Joyce is playing the 5 for the US. She's holding her own against Katie Koval inside and beating her down the court in transition. Her ball-hogging teammates need to get her the ball more.