2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
We tried to get Kennedy Smith as well but she chose the wrong USC. I have to give props to Randolph as well. She stepped up and played some key defense .

Reactions: Goody

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I don't believe Edwards came out of the game in the 2nd half, and the US needed every second she was in.

She gave up size to Koval, but the energy she brings to the 5 is something else. Watch Koval go backward here when Joyce engages her. JE then finds a shooter in the corner (will be Tessa next season).

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
My only concern about Edwards at the 5 is she doesn't protect the rim like we're used to. But I was surprised how she impacted the game tonight on the defense without blocking shots. She uses great anticipation and athleticism to jump the passing lanes and then sprints down court in transition. Phenomenal.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
an take over the Honesty Scott-Grayson scorer role for them. wonder how much patience the Auburn coaches will have with her defensive deficiencies - HSG was also a good defender.
Harris will have to live with scott's defense because someone has to score on that team. They don't have many options and Scott isn't afraid to chuck it.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Wasn’t she supposed to be a lock for LSU? Seems Mulkey is really struggling recruiting right now. Have her sideline antics and press conf comments caught up to her? Just curious.
link to article that the LSU fanboy insider posted a couple of days ago.

Olsen & Kelly are the ’buzziest’ names listed but I doubt they have a shot with either . Their fans seem to think the reason the two freshmen left the program is that they were made aware that the staff was seeking established transfers for their positions. Whatever is going on down the Bayou, freshman player development doesn‘t seem to be a top priority.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I wonder if Sakima Walker is waiting until after the parade to enter the portal. Destiny Littleton waited 2 years ago to enter, if I recall correctly. Seems like if she was returning, she would have already announced.

Brian Shoemaker

Gamecock Central Founder+Publisher
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Reactions: USCEDGE

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Wasn’t she supposed to be a lock for LSU? Seems Mulkey is really struggling recruiting right now. Have her sideline antics and press conf comments caught up to her? Just curious.
It’s difficult to determine who is a lock for LSU in recruiting. Their fans and fanboy media tell us everyone is a lock!🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

B.Cocky

Feb 1, 2022
I wonder if Sakima Walker is waiting until after the parade to enter the portal. Destiny Littleton waited 2 years ago to enter, if I recall correctly. Seems like if she was returning, she would have already announced.
She went live on tiktok right before the natty I believe and I asked what her plans were she’s been asked a ton but actually have a real answer was that she truly didn’t know. She said she’s been in talks with over seas teams and the money sounds good or she may return. The portal didn’t come up. From the way she was talking it seemed she was leaning towards playing overseas but thats subjective.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
She went live on tiktok right before the natty I believe and I asked what her plans were she’s been asked a ton but actually have a real answer was that she truly didn’t know. She said she’s been in talks with over seas teams and the money sounds good or she may return. The portal didn’t come up. From the way she was talking it seemed she was leaning towards playing overseas but thats subjective.
OK, thanks. Good info. Walker was a nice insurance policy in case we faced LSU or Stanford. But, as it turned out, our bigs never got into any serious foul trouble in the tournament. She appeared to have a really good attitude even though she wasn't playing. I read an interview where she said she adopted the "mother" role on the team. She requested to sit next to Fulwiley on the bench so she could counsel her. That's awesome. Would she be willing to accept that role again? After watching Joyce Edwards yesterday, I don't see how JE doesn’t play A LOT. Juju and Hidalgo were 1st team All-Americans as freshman. There is no reason to believe Edwards can't be all-SEC caliber player next season. But she needs playing time to develop, most likely at the cost of minutes for SW.

B.Cocky

Feb 1, 2022
OK, thanks. Good info. Walker was a nice insurance policy in case we faced LSU or Stanford. But, as it turned out, our bigs never got into any serious foul trouble in the tournament. She appeared to have a really good attitude even though she wasn't playing. I read an interview where she said she adopted the "mother" role on the team. She requested to sit next to Fulwiley on the bench so she could counsel her. That's awesome. Would she be willing to accept that role again? After watching Joyce Edwards yesterday, I don't see how JE doesn’t play A LOT. Juju and Hidalgo were 1st team All-Americans as freshman. There is no reason to believe Edwards can't be all-SEC caliber player next season. But she needs playing time to develop, most likely at the cost of minutes for SW.
If Dawn isn’t planning on taking a portal Center I’d like to see her back for the reasons you listed she’s a self proclaimed “mother figure” incredible attitude, and I believe the only time we actually needed her (the Alabama game when Cardoso was out) she played 18 meaningful minutes and tho didn’t have a great game on paper did exactly what we needed her to do, by defending their big and boxing out every play.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Sharing Mark Schindler’s (The Athletic‘s resident bracketologist & scouting/draft guru) comments & observations on Joyce Edwards from the Nike Hoop Summit. Long, but worth the read. Short review- he‘s very impressed with her game, talent, & potential.

”(on offense) Edwards' base is so low to the ground in spite of her size, which makes her such a difficult player to guard. She has the tightness of handle and compactness in her drive game to take bigger players off the dribble with ease. She has the strength and base to score over smaller opponents and back them down into the rim. She uses angles well to establish position and get to the rim. She made multiple good reads out of double teams she drew. She hit a few jumpers from mid-range and has the room to keep expanding that facet of her game.

My favorite aspect of her offensive game is her touch on the ball. She is adept using her length to secure the ball, attacking the basket with extension finishes: The closer you are to the basket when you release the ball, the more efficient you likely are to be (there are of course exceptions to the rule). Edwards is incredibly aggressive in her rips, post moves, and off the dribble attacks, but blends that seamlessly with the deftness as a finisher. It is rare to pair that force and gentleness, part of what I feel makes her such a potent scorer.

Edwards' commitment to the defensive end last night was what was most special. As mentioned prior with the guard play, the US was struggling mightily to create easy offense. That was jumpstarted by the intensity Edwards infused defensively, as multiple players across the roster stood up and elevated their games as well with defensive pressure.

It's easy to see how Edwards fits into South Carolina's system and schemes, but also the team ethos. She'll be an instant contributor for the Gamecocks, and it's wild to think about what that frontcourt rotation will look like for Dawn Staley next season. Yes, Kamilla Cardoso will be gone, but Ashlyn Watkins, Chloe Kitts, and Sania Feagin are all back with another off-season of growing their games. This group will be smaller without Cardoso, but the versatility they'll bring to both ends with Edwards in the mix as well will be quite difficult to matchup with for anyone on the schedule next season, let alone in SEC play”

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
It appears LSU has gotten a commitment out of the portal. Their insider does not think it’s Janiah Barker. He said they are not in it with her. Most think it’s Deja Kelly and most are not happy about it.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
It appears LSU has gotten a commitment out of the portal. Their insider does not think it’s Janiah Barker. He said they are not in it with her. Most think it’s Deja Kelly and most are not happy about it.
Another shooting guard being asked to play point, take less shots, and actually play D? Where have I seen this before?

Kelly’s stats playing PG Against us

38 minutes
2-13
0-4 three pointers
4 rebounds
2 assists
6 turnovers
And a pitiful job defending Fulwiley

Last edited:

Latest posts