2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
😡😡😡😡
Sometimes I get so frustrated/angry with Coach Dawn Staley. We absolutely own UK for 3 quarters and she empties the bench in the fourth quarter and a blowout ends up looking like a competitive close game.

I know she is playing the long game and in the long run it benefits us. It gives the bench tough experience you just can’t get from practice and It saves legs. But.....ARRRGHHHH

I Thought I was going to go insane listening Rucco and Lobo slobber all over Rhyne Howard and her 15 point 4th quarter. Asking why Howard and UK didn’t play like this in the first three quarters?

Let me tell you why. She scored 15 meaningless points against the bench in a game that was already decided.

Why did she score only 6 points in the first 3 quarters? Because Brea Beal was in her shorts
Making the presumptive #1 pick in the WNBA draft her b*

The fact that Brea has not made all SEC D the last two seasons is criminal. Her 6 pts and 6 rpg are gravy. She does not get enough credit

Thank you for listening to this unsolicited rant.

As you were Gamecocks!
Agree. Andy Landers said the same thing. Gushing over Howard's amazing 4th Q. No mention about why that happened. I can see both ways about what Dawn did. The only way to develop your bench is to put players in during games that appear to be firmly in hand. I'm sure she was hoping they would figure some things out and close out the game. In hindsite, she shouldn't waited as long as she did. Especially watching Howard padding her stats against freshman or little used bench players.

Silverspur02

Joined Jan 26, 2006 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
I have thought all season that Georgia would be one of the two toughest games. Without 2 bigs, it could get real interesting. Did last year…

DeutschRock

Jan 20, 2022
Lele drives me crazy with her inability to hit the easiest layups possible. She had multiples times to extend the lead and missed point blank layups. It's so frustrating to watch. She has so much athletic ability but misses so many easy baskets but then can make the occasional crazy basket. It seems the offense actually regresses when she's in due to turnovers and the missing of easy baskets. Just my opinion though. would have liked to see more of feagin but it seems on the possession she received the ball and got tied up by the 3 UK players put her in the doghouse.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
😡😡😡😡
Sometimes I get so frustrated/angry with Coach Dawn Staley. We absolutely own UK for 3 quarters and she empties the bench in the fourth quarter and a blowout ends up looking like a competitive close game.

I know she is playing the long game and in the long run it benefits us. It gives the bench tough experience you just can’t get from practice and It saves legs. But.....ARRRGHHHH

I Thought I was going to go insane listening Rucco and Lobo slobber all over Rhyne Howard and her 15 point 4th quarter. Asking why Howard and UK didn’t play like this in the first three quarters?

Let me tell you why. She scored 15 meaningless points against the bench in a game that was already decided.

Why did she score only 6 points in the first 3 quarters? Because Brea Beal was in her shorts
Making the presumptive #1 pick in the WNBA draft her b*

The fact that Brea has not made all SEC D the last two seasons is criminal. Her 6 pts and 6 rpg are gravy. She does not get enough credit

Thank you for listening to this unsolicited rant.

As you were Gamecocks!
I enjoyed it.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Watching Georgia against LSU and Florida, I was impressed with their defense. They have a lot of depth as well. What I find to be a complete mystery is how they were beat so badly on the boards. They should be a better rebounding team than they were in those two games. I think it will be the key tomorrow.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Watching Georgia against LSU and Florida, I was impressed with their defense. They have a lot of depth as well. What I find to be a complete mystery is how they were beat so badly on the boards. They should be a better rebounding team than they were in those two games. I think it will be the key tomorrow.

UGA is one of the few teams in the conference to actually play defense. Top 50 in points allowed. They force 18 turnovers a game.

They have size and depth in their size but as you noted they are not a particularly good rebounding team. Staiti is slow and if the rebound doesn’t come directly to her she doesn’t get it. In fact they don’t have anybody that rebounds out of their zone. Grissett, Saxton, Boston, and Amihere are just relentless going to the glass. I don’t see that from UGA.

Reactions: DarkCock

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
What about Henderson and Saxton coming back next year as they do have that extra year of eligibility? We would be #1 for sure but the freshman coming in would not get a lot of playing time...If they do come back, we would love a lot of players after the 22-23 season.

Anyone hoping they come back or go on to pros? I think Henderson will be drafted in the first round. If Saxton is not, I see her playing overseas...

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
What about Henderson and Saxton coming back next year as they do have that extra year of eligibility? We would be #1 for sure but the freshman coming in would not get a lot of playing time...If they do come back, we would love a lot of players after the 22-23 season.

Anyone hoping they come back or go on to pros? I think Henderson will be drafted in the first round. If Saxton is not, I see her playing overseas...
Better for the program long term for them to move on, IMO. Our young players can develop next year surrounded by Boston, Beal, Zia and Amihere. Even when those 4 graduate, we should still have an experienced and talented team in 2024.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I know Finley from Florida has SEC Coach of the Year wrapped up, but Doug Novak of Mississippi State deserves consideration. Has anyone watch them? He has very little to work with, besides Anastasia Hayes. Only seven players, including the tall German girl who probably should be playing in Division II. She had 0 points and 5 fouls today in their win against Ole Miss. Yet, he finds a way to get the most out of her. The Bulldogs are the Bad News Bears of WBB. Hard not to root for them.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Better for the program long term for them to move on, IMO. Our young players can develop next year surrounded by Boston, Beal, Zia and Amihere. Even when those 4 graduate, we should still have an experienced and talented team in 2024.
That's counterintuitive to most fans, but it makes sense.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Caitlin Clark with a double-double tonight. 19 points, 10 turnovers. lol

Maryland kept her in check. She took 25 shots to score 19 points. She's bound to have an off night once in a while. It happens to the best. Aliyah took 12 shots to score 13 points against Florida. However, she also had 19 rebounds and 3 blocks. Her ability to affect both ends of the court is what makes her the best player in the game.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Did you know that Auburn finished runner-up in the NCAA tournament 3 consecutive years in the late 80's? Tennessee won the national titles, but Auburn, LSU and Georgia were all very good back in the day, each making it to several Final Fours.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Did you know that Auburn finished runner-up in the NCAA tournament 3 consecutive years in the late 80's? Tennessee won the national titles, but Auburn, LSU and Georgia were all very good back in the day, each making it to several Final Fours.
My recollections regarding those teams were vague - especially as regards Auburn. I guess one lesson that could be derived from that is, if you're only gong to have so many chances, you'd better grab the brass ring. Any of those schools could have gained a lot of impetus from winning a title. It might have changed WBB history as a whole.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I don't see any team beating us (SEC) thru the end of the season and the SEC tournament...

Who do you not want to see us play in the NCAA until the finals? I think Stanford is the only team, maybe Louisville or NC State who could beat us..

Thoughts?

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Awful news 😦

He may never know why but somehow the owner of the videos (SEC, CBS, etc.) wants to make money or doesn’t want someone else (Robbie Robinson) even “airing” them. Too bad for all.

Jan 18, 2022
You do know that she has McDonald's All Americans on up and down that bench that she has to appease to some degree. Transfer portal!!

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Auburn tonight

Yes they are the worst team in the league, they don’t shoot well, nor rebound well, don’t have much height and only have several players who have SEC level talent.

HOWEVER, if you look at their conference games...... they beat UT decisively. In 8 of their 11 losses the outcome was in doubt at the start of the fourth quarter

We win and probably by 20 but I would be surprised if we beat them like we did Vandy(55)
They have bought into the coaching and don’t quit. Admirable qualities for a team at the bottom of the standings as the season winds down

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I sit next to Robbie at the games. It takes several hours to upload each game because of editing out commercials. It is a real labor of love. Hope to talk to him tonight

He may never know why but somehow the owner of the videos (SEC, CBS, etc.) wants to make money or doesn’t want someone else (Robbie Robinson) even “airing” them. Too bad for all.

Perhaps he made the mistake of drawing attention to his channel. I've always been surprised that ESPN/SECN allowed him to post videos, especially so soon after the games. ESPN/SECN+ keeps the games in their "On Demand" section for a a month or two after they're played. You have to have cable/Sling/Hulu to watch the replays. Well, we didn't have to because of Robbie's channel.

I assume he still has the games on his hard drive. He could post them to another video platform. Youtube isn't the only one.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Auburn tonight

Yes they are the worst team in the league, they don’t shoot well, nor rebound well, don’t have much height and only have several players who have SEC level talent.

HOWEVER, if you look at their conference games...... they beat UT decisively. In 8 of their 11 losses the outcome was in doubt at the start of the fourth quarter

We win and probably by 20 but I would be surprised if we beat them like we did Vandy(55)
They have bought into the coaching and don’t quit. Admirable qualities for a team at the bottom of the standings as the season winds down
In defense of Vandy, the did beat Auburn by 15 after the Tigers defeated Tennessee. I think the absence of Cambridge was the main reason they got completely run out of the building against us. I also wonder if the fact that they were still diving for balls and/or our players' knees in the 4th quarter is why coach decided to not bring in the end of her bench. "You won't keep playing...Ok, lets do it."

I think you're spot on about Auburn. They aren't as bad as their record indicates. Johnnie Harris has gotten them to buy in on playing a Vic Schaefer style of defense. They really embrace contact. On the down side, Auburn commits a TON of foul.

Coulibaly is their best player, by far. She reminds of Aleighsa Welch: undersized, doesn't shoot well from the outside, but strong and tough as nails. Our guards should have a definite advantage. Hughes is a 3 point shooter, but no way she can stay in front of Zia. Her backup is a good defender, but she doesn't score.

I anticipate shooting a lot free throws and we've been up and down in that aspect of the game. How well we do on the line will determine the final margin.

Reactions: winloseortie

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I sit next to Robbie at the games. It takes several hours to upload each game because of editing out commercials. It is a real labor of love. Hope to talk to him tonight
He does a great editing job. Smooth.
I hope (assume) he's got backups on his personal storage devices somewhere.

Last edited:

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
In defense of Vandy, the did beat Auburn by 15 after the Tigers defeated Tennessee. I think the absence of Cambridge was the main reason they got completely run out of the building against us. I also wonder if the fact that they were still diving for balls and/or our players' knees in the 4th quarter is why coach decided to not bring in the end of her bench. "You won't keep playing...Ok, lets do it."

I think you're spot on about Auburn. They aren't as bad as their record indicates. Johnnie Harris has gotten them to buy in on playing a Vic Schaefer style of defense. They really embrace contact. On the down side, Auburn commits a TON of foul.

Coulibaly is their best player, by far. She reminds of Aleighsa Welch: undersized, doesn't shoot well from the outside, but strong and tough as nails. Our guards should have a definite advantage. Hughes is a 3 point shooter, but no way she can stay in front of Zia. Her backup is a good defender, but she doesn't score.

I anticipate shooting a lot free throws and we've been up and down in that aspect of the game. How well we do on the line will determine the final margin.
That was out of character for Dawn. I was thinking she was not pleased about something and was sending a message. Vandy was hell bent on keeping Aliyah from getting her double double. As much so that they were willing to give up wide open 3's all night long.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
That was out of character for Dawn. I was thinking she was not pleased about something and was sending a message. Vandy was hell bent on keeping Aliyah from getting her double double. As much so that they were willing to give up wide open 3's all night long.
I also wonder if something else wasn’t going down. I was thinking it was a welcome to the SEC for a UCONN assistant

vacock

Jan 20, 2022

Perhaps he made the mistake of drawing attention to his channel. I've always been surprised that ESPN/SECN allowed him to post videos, especially so soon after the games. ESPN/SECN+ keeps the games in their "On Demand" section for a a month or two after they're played. You have to have cable/Sling/Hulu to watch the replays. Well, we didn't have to because of Robbie's channel.

I assume he still has the games on his hard drive. He could post them to another video platform. Youtube isn't the only one.

Who was edited out and why? I missed that.

vacock

Jan 20, 2022
He edited out ESPN commentators boosting Clark. Not during game action, but when they came back from a commercial.
Sounds reasonable to do since she is not on our team or was even on the court for the other team. Who would be upset for that?

btw thanks