2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
I've read that Watkins wants to play for a program that will give her maximum visibility.

I've also read where she wants to highlight and bring awareness to local Southern California brand of basketball/athletes/programs - which I interpret as staying close to home.

Obviously, if she wants visibility for her abilities and personal brand, other than UConn, there's no better place currently than SC in women's hoops. The current state of the program (national rankings, ESPN TV exposure, playing for Dawn, the marketability examples of A'ja/Aliyah) guarantees that.

What a major coup that we made her final group and received an official visit. Speaks volumes for the staff and the program. But 3000 miles is 3000 miles so trying to keep my expectations in check for now. I would be at an A'ja Wilson commitment level of happiness if Dawn/staff can land her for the program.

Reactions: winloseortie

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
What a major coup that we made her final group and received an official visit. Speaks volumes for the staff and the program. But 3000 miles is 3000 miles so trying to keep my expectations in check for now. I would be at an A'ja Wilson commitment level of happiness if Dawn/staff can land her for the program.
I believe that's the last frontier that's missing in terms of recruiting for the program. If we can start getting top recruits straight off the west coast and/or TX that would put us in a tier of recruiting that rivals UConn and Tennessee in their prime.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
There's an LA times article that states that Watkins already has her top 3 and will decide her school in November. Considering she came here right after that article was written I would assume we're one of the three. It's rumored on some of these sites that the other two schools is likely some combination of Arizona, Southern Cal and UCLA.

On a side note, as the new #1 Watkins will be the first #1 in about 10 years that doesn't have UConn in their finalist group. It's too early to tell but perhaps the parity of the sport has finally eased UConn's chokehold of the #1 talent.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I believe that's the last frontier that's missing in terms of recruiting for the program. If we can start getting top recruits straight off the west coast and/or TX that would put us in a tier of recruiting that rivals UConn and Tennessee in their prime.
When John Wooden got Lew Alcindor (as was) out of New York City, it set the stage for the never yet surpassed UCLA dynasty. Just a musing engendered by the current discussion.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Chris wellbaum said on insider forum that target Tessa Johnson is announcing her commitment tomorrow at 9 am.

Tennessee boards are now saying they are out of it with ADR bc their main recruiter has stopped following her. ADR also posted a pic on her story from a videographer that looked as if he could have been putting together a commitment video for her. My guess is it’s down to LSU and us.

Reactions: Goody

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Chris wellbaum said on insider forum that target Tessa Johnson is announcing her commitment tomorrow at 9 am.

Tennessee boards are now saying they are out of it with ADR bc their main recruiter has stopped following her. ADR also posted a pic on her story from a videographer that looked as if he could have been putting together a commitment video for her. My guess is it’s down to LSU and us.
UT fans still assume everybody is coming there. Either Watkins and/or Cooper were locks for them last year. ADR was a done deal with Velez. They are just not what they remember themselves to be.
I think Harper is a fine coach but she has lived off the portal and it looks like they are going to be skunked on 5***** recruits this year

In her three previous classes she has brought in
5***** Destiny Salary transferred after 1 year
3*** Tess Darby career role player 8th or 9th woman

4**** Sara Puckett career role player 7th or 8th
4**** Karoline Striplin deep on the bench
3 *** Kaiya Wynn deep on the bench
3*** Brooklyn Miles solid contributor as backup PG
Marta Suarez from Spain role player as Fr was scheduled to start as Soph but lost season to injury

5***** Justine Pissott who is supposedly the real deal

She has brought in almost as many portal players 6 as recruits 7. Clearly the portal players are better. It appears she can coach and portal but not HS recruit.... not a sustainable model

Reactions: CockyGirl

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
UT fans still assume everybody is coming there. Either Watkins and/or Cooper were locks for them last year. ADR was a done deal with Velez. They are just not what they remember themselves to be.
I think Harper is a fine coach but she has lived off the portal and it looks like they are going to be skunked on 5***** recruits this year

In her three previous classes she has brought in
5***** Destiny Salary transferred after 1 year
3*** Tess Darby career role player 8th or 9th woman

4**** Sara Puckett career role player 7th or 8th
4**** Karoline Striplin deep on the bench
3 *** Kaiya Wynn deep on the bench
3*** Brooklyn Miles solid contributor as backup PG
Marta Suarez from Spain role player as Fr was scheduled to start as Soph but lost season to injury

5***** Justine Pissott who is supposedly the real deal

She has brought in almost as many portal players 6 as recruits 7. Clearly the portal players are better. It appears she can coach and portal but not HS recruit.... not a sustainable model
This was my point last week when we we're talking about coaches. Harper probably has the 2nd hardest job in the country when it comes to expectations from the fanbase. The more she misses out on HS recruiting, the more she has to depend on the portal to make up for it, which in turn will likely turn away more future HS recruits, because they'll likely feel that they'll get over recruited by the portal.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Any inkling on Tessa and also effects on other recruits?

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This was my point last week when we we're talking about coaches. Harper probably has the 2nd hardest job in the country when it comes to expectations from the fanbase. The more she misses out on HS recruiting, the more she has to depend on the portal to make up for it, which in turn will likely turn away more future HS recruits, because they'll likely feel that they'll get over recruited by the portal.
So spot on... and they in most probability will be losing their top 6 players after this year

The first 4 could come back but why would Horston or Jackson do so? The other two will have exhausted eligibility.

Jordan Horston
Rickea Jackson
Tamari Key
Jasmine Powell

Jasmine Franklin
Jordan Walker

They are not like us with SIX 5***** waiting in the wings and what might be a top 10(at the worst) recruiting class coming into campus.

Harper will have to MASSIVELY PORTAL or die

Reactions: Gamekem

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
Any inkling on Tessa and also effects on other recruits?
Have no idea how that affects the other recruits but ADR, Kitts, Jah and Johnson all follow each other not that it says much.
Tennessee boards are in melt down mode as one of their connected members has said the ship has sailed on their final two high profile targets, S'miya Nichols and ADR. They are thinking that they will get zero signees this year or it will be someone who hasn't been talked about. Another poster said he heard ADR is going to LSU but I don't know how connected he is.

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022
I have no inside information regarding Tessa Johnson whatsoever, but do you think the fact that she has made her decision and Dawn hasn't made a birdie flew in the nest tweet would mean she's going somewhere else?

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Have no idea how that affects the other recruits but ADR, Kitts, Jah and Johnson all follow each other not that it says much.
Tennessee boards are in melt down mode as one of their connected members has said the ship has sailed on their final two high profile targets, S'miya Nichols and ADR. They are thinking that they will get zero signees this year or it will be someone who hasn't been talked about. Another poster said he heard ADR is going to LSU but I don't know how connected he is.
Any thoughts on Harper’s almost total inability to recruit HS players.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I have no inside information regarding Tessa Johnson whatsoever, but do you think the fact that she has made her decision and Dawn hasn't made a birdie flew in the nest tweet would mean she's going somewhere else?
She doesn't always do a birdie tweet, she only does it if the player agrees to it first. A birdie tweet now would give away her decision and big moment if she does chooses us.

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022
She doesn't always do a birdie tweet, she only does it if the player agrees to it first. A birdie tweet now would give away her decision and big moment if she does chooses us.
Okay, thanks! I've often wondered how players felt about her essentially giving it away, so that explains a lot. Thank you!

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
Okay, thanks! I've often wondered how players felt about her essentially giving it away, so that explains a lot. Thank you!
A lot of people complained last year when Talaysia Cooper announced her upcoming commitment time and then Dawn tweeted about a birdie but Dawn came out afterwards and said she had her blessing to tweet it.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I believe a Tessa Johnson commitment would most effect Watkins of the players we're recruiting. Possibly even Fulwiley if Milaysia is looking to only play strictly the 2 in college, but that seems unlikely.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022

She's not the most athletic but she can really shoot. Her injuries have her ranked lower than she should be. She's the type of player you would probably expect on a UConn or a Notre Dame team. A very good get especially from Minnesota, which has been a hotbed of talent as of late.

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022

She's not the most athletic but she can really shoot. Her injuries have her ranked lower than she should be. She's the type of player you would probably expect on a UConn or a Notre Dame team. A very good get especially from Minnesota, which has been a hotbed of talent as of late.

I expect the next domino to fall will be ADR but 247 Tennessee posters are convinced she chose LSU … can’t wait to find out!

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I expect the next domino to fall will be ADR but 247 Tennessee posters are convinced she chose LSU … can’t wait to find out!
I went to one of their other boards and they seem really salty right now. Some are claiming we're buying recruits and their program is a victim of negative recruiting, it's borderline delusional. For the first time in 30 years they aren't used to not getting the top recruits as easily as they used to and it's a hard pill to swallow.

I say all that to say I take everything they say with a grain of salt. I do believe it's likely down to us and LSU. I hope it's us but you never know.

Reactions: cockyclt

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Watched a few highlight clips on new commitment Tessa. Very nice soft touch on display. At a minimum, I can definitely see her in a role similar to Destiny Littleton the past couple of years. If she develops more athletically and can play the type of defense that DS expects, she'll earn starter minutes.
Good pickup.

Last edited:

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
I went to one of their other boards and they seem really salty right now. Some are claiming we're buying recruits and their program is a victim of negative recruiting, it's borderline delusional. For the first time in 30 years they aren't used to not getting the top recruits as easily as they used to and it's a hard pill to swallow.

I say all that to say I take everything they say with a grain of salt. I do believe it's likely down to us and LSU. I hope it's us but you never know.
Yes it’s quite fun to read 😋. I will say I just went back to check ADRs Twitter and the only posts she liked from media day yesterday were two LSU posts. Could be a smoke screen but I’m feeling like she may be theirs. Shouldn’t have to wait much longer!

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Yes it’s quite fun to read 😋. I will say I just went back to check ADRs Twitter and the only posts she liked from media day yesterday were two LSU posts. Could be a smoke screen but I’m feeling like she may be theirs. Shouldn’t have to wait much longer!
Well that's unfortunate but I'm still hold on to hope lol.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I honestly dont see the draw by these girls to Kim Mulkey. I really dont. There are a boatload of better coaches to play for than her and I dont know what she does to convince them to play for her at all because she is about as obnoxious, and dishonest as they come. I probably have less respect for her than any other coach in basketball, mens or womens.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I honestly dont see the draw by these girls to Kim Mulkey. I really dont. There are a boatload of better coaches to play for than her and I dont know what she does to convince them to play for her at all because she is about as obnoxious, and dishonest as they come. I probably have less respect for her than any other coach in basketball, mens or womens.
My disdain for her mirrors yours, and is well known, but our disdain doesn't mean anything. She and recruits have a mutual affinity that isn't dependent on our being able to understand it. There's no reason to believe it will expire anytime soon.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
Had to find something negative to write about.

Dont they realize that half the teams we wanted to play, refused to play us? It wasnt like we didnt try but several "top" teams didnt want to play us so it was as good as we could get for non-con.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Dont they realize that half the teams we wanted to play, refused to play us? It wasnt like we didnt try but several "top" teams didnt want to play us so it was as good as we could get for non-con.
So what you are saying is that you disagree with a journalist on a deadline!

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Charlie Creme knows, but its better to omit that information because it's a better story. Subtle digs at USC is what they love to do.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
More national recognition, I'm surprised they picked Feagin over Amihere but I get it.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Honestly I’m a little disappointed with the schedule. We got ducked by 5 or 6 teams. We are also playing 3 teams that each lost 23 games last year.
But DS knows what she is doing. Having the absolute monster schedule we had last year meant the bench did not get the minutes it needed to develop. There is going to be a great deal of experimentation with lineups and the schedule will facilitate that.
The article let LSU off easy on their schedule, it is shamefully weak with ONE AWAY game ..... vs Tulane in New Orleans 🤷‍♂️😡

B.Cocky

Feb 1, 2022

Kitts is also in Louisville this weekend

I can’t really envision Fulwiley at Louisville, if she doesn’t choose SC I would expect her to go to Florida maybe Ole Miss. However I think her and Kitts being together at Louisville might actually be a good thing for us, Kitts seem to really enjoy her SC visit, would love to land both of them.

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
I can’t really envision Fulwiley at Louisville, if she doesn’t choose SC I would expect her to go to Florida maybe Ole Miss. However I think her and Kitts being together at Louisville might actually be a good thing for us, Kitts seem to really enjoy her SC visit, would love to land both of them.
I agree! Hope they really like each other and make a Gamecock pact this weekend 😋

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
According to her IG Aalyah Del Rosario announces her commitment on Tuesday at around 4:10 pm. Her final 4 schools are LSU, USC, Tennessee and UNC. The signs point to LSU at the moment but you never know.

Last night was also Louisville basketball event called Midnight madness that had current musical artist Jack Harlow posing in pics with both Kitts and Fulwiley. Hopefully all the bells and whistles of that event don't influence their decisions.

Last edited: