2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

ecarch08

Joined Nov 14, 2008 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
Mark Schindler, who writes about NBA, WNBA, recently wrote about some of the top portal players and where he thinks they fit best

Here's what he had to say about Morrow:

“Morrow recently unveiled her Top 3 (LSU, USC, South Carolina) and has made her free agency so exciting. Aneesah Morrow is without question the most significant player in the transfer portal. Wherever she goes will have a fairly drastic positive alteration in their immediate future outcomes.

Morrow finished in the 98th percentile in fastbreak points per 100 possessions (5.2 per) and 94th percentile in paint points per 100 (20.3) according to CBB Analytics. She’s a dominant scorer inside the arc, blending strength, footwork, and enough touch to make opposition think out to the high post. Combined with her ability to draw fouls at a high level (5.3 FTA per game) and corral her own misses at an excellent rate, Morrow is a gravity well on the interior.
Morrow shot roughly 35% on her mid-range jumper, but I find the percentage to matter not quite as much as the willingness. If she didn’t have a lane or was given a pocket, she took the open shot, and that matters for a high volume scorer. The efficiency needs to improve a bit for sure, and I think some of that could come simply by cutting out some of the more contested looks.
Part of what makes Morrow so superb is her attack mentality; when she dips her shoulder, it’s on 10 until the ball is in the hoop. However, and this is nitpicking when considering her as a pro prospect, there is some room for her to improve in slowing down, reading the second level of the defense, and getting the most out of her own gravity (re: when she draws two, how does she make the defense regret it?)

All three schools are remarkably interesting for Morrow, but I actually lean South Carolina as where I would like to see her go (not a slight to USC or LSU, she’d be awesome at both). Carolina’s offense is about patience, making the right pass, taking advantage of help defense, and opening the best looks to attack the rim.

I see that as how I most want to see Morrow improve. Finding that extra gear of patience, the offensive transmission to slow the game to find efficiency of movement, is something I believe in the Gamecocks coaxing out at the highest level. She needs to take more jumpers from outside for sure. I want her handle to tighten up. There’s the bones and foundation of a havoc-inducing defender. With her feel for the game improving (re: ability to read and manipulate the floor) I think those things become simpler.

Wherever Morrow lands, man, I cannot wait to watch her hoop again. She’s a special talent!”
LSU’s On3 guy seems to think they lead and that it’s possible she may cancel her trip here. TIFWIW

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
LSU’s On3 guy seems to think they lead and that it’s possible she may cancel her trip here. TIFWIW
She has been consistent in her messages at both places that she visited (Southern Cal and LSU). I saw nothing to indicate she has a leader. I'm sure they want her and are pressuring her to cancel. I might be way off base but believe she will go thru her visits and then decide.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
She definitely posted way more about LSU. Also her likes and retweets on Twitter are very heavy for LSU. I feel confident in saying the So Cal is definitely not in the lead.

But I’ve been wrong before and as long as she doesn’t announce anything we have a chance.

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
She definitely posted way more about LSU. Also her likes and retweets on Twitter are very heavy for LSU. I feel confident in saying the So Cal is definitely not in the lead.

But I’ve been wrong before and as long as she doesn’t announce anything we have a chance.
I've always felt it was going to be between us and LSU. It seems a large percentage of these transfers want to come to the SEC. Lauren Ware, transfer from Arizona, recently committed to Texas A&M.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
We will survive regardless of what happens in the portal. Our concrete foundation will continue with the incoming class!
To survive is one thing; to thrive is another. Sadly, we took a bad hit the other week.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
We will survive any portal disappointment and thrive with the incoming class. Foundations aren't built in the portal, as a rule.
Why should there be portal disappointments? We were within a hair's breadth of RULING women's basketball - ruling it.

Reactions: CockyGirl

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Why should there be portal disappointments? We were within a hair's breadth of RULING women's basketball - ruling it.
Serious question what has changed? Let's say we won it all, literally everything would be the same. We've gotten the best player from the portal for our needs and we have all the the talent from the #1 bench in the nation ready to take the reigns.

I don't get all the doom and gloom, we're in a great spot. Considering all we lost to the pros we're in an excellent position and could be even better with some portal additions. You should consider setting more realistic expectations. In no way were we on path to completely ruling WBB.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Serious question what has changed? Let's say we won it all, literally everything would be the same. We've gotten the best player from the portal for our needs and we have all the the talent from the #1 bench in the nation ready to take the reigns.

I don't get all the doom and gloom, we're in a great spot. Considering all we lost to the pros we're in an excellent position and could be even better with some portal additions. You should consider setting more realistic expectations. In no way were we on path to completely ruling WBB.
Just ignore him.

I saw we are ranked #8 on ESPN's Way Too Early poll re-rank. We actually dropped a spot AFTER adding Paopao.

I love it. Please doubt us. I relish the opportunity to surprise people.

Here's why I'm excited:

* We will be better at the point next season. Raven with a year of experience and Paopao mostly liking playing the point when Raven sits are going to be outstanding.

* We will be MUCH better at the 4. Saxton did the little things; Feagin and Watkins are going to do the big things like grab defensive rebounds and shoot over 50%.

* No one can replace Aliyah Boston, obviously. That being said, Cardoso is one of the top centers in the country. Her numbers were equal or better than Boston's and Reese's when extended to 40 minutes. But can she stay out of foul trouble? The longer she can stay on the floor, the more success the team will have.

* Paopao should be pre-seasn all-SEC at the 2. She gives this team a shooting threat we haven't seen before with a Dawn Staley team.

* The big question mark is the 3. It could be Morrow. If not her, we have several young players who can step up. I like watching young players develop myself. I will be happy either way.

* I anticipate Coach having a really good year this coming season. Her weakness is her deference to veteran players (still scratching my head over the amount of playing time for Fletcher, Saxton and Thompson against Iowa). Next year are only seniors are Cardoso and Paopao, two potential all-conference players. Reminiscent of Kiki and Ty as the only seniors in 2020. Dawn will surround Cardoso and Paopao with the best possible lineup, regardless of age. I expect improved starts next season.

I'm so looking forward to the upcoming season I looked into getting a subscription to CBB analytics -- $40 a month. Yowza! Going to have to pass. My wife would kill me.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I'm so looking forward to the upcoming season I looked into getting a subscription to CBB analytics -- $40 a month. Yowza! Going to have to pass. My wife would kill me.
Good grief - how many subscribers do they have at that rate?

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

We were within two games of present-day preeminence and LSU was not going to stop us. Even if we win the national championship next year - we will be at least one national championship in arrears of where we ought to be. What was foregone is lost forever.

Last edited:

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
If we miss on Morrow, do we think Dawn will look for someone in the portal or roll with who we have? I'm not very confident at all that we land her.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Just ignore him.

I saw we are ranked #8 on ESPN's Way Too Early poll re-rank. We actually dropped a spot AFTER adding Paopao.

I love it. Please doubt us. I relish the opportunity to surprise people.

Here's why I'm excited:

* We will be better at the point next season. Raven with a year of experience and Paopao mostly liking playing the point when Raven sits are going to be outstanding.

* We will be MUCH better at the 4. Saxton did the little things; Feagin and Watkins are going to do the big things like grab defensive rebounds and shoot over 50%.

* No one can replace Aliyah Boston, obviously. That being said, Cardoso is one of the top centers in the country. Her numbers were equal or better than Boston's and Reese's when extended to 40 minutes. But can she stay out of foul trouble? The longer she can stay on the floor, the more success the team will have.

* Paopao should be pre-seasn all-SEC at the 2. She gives this team a shooting threat we haven't seen before with a Dawn Staley team.

* The big question mark is the 3. It could be Morrow. If not her, we have several young players who can step up. I like watching young players develop myself. I will be happy either way.

* I anticipate Coach having a really good year this coming season. Her weakness is her deference to veteran players (still scratching my head over the amount of playing time for Fletcher, Saxton and Thompson against Iowa). Next year are only seniors are Cardoso and Paopao, two potential all-conference players. Reminiscent of Kiki and Ty as the only seniors in 2020. Dawn will surround Cardoso and Paopao with the best possible lineup, regardless of age. I expect improved starts next season.

Line ups I have
1 Johnson/ Fuliwiley
2 Paopao/ Cooper/Tessa
3 Hall /Kitts/Jah
4 Feagin /Watkins
5 Cardoso

Outside of Johnson and Cardoso, I see everyone else capable of playing up or down a position.

If we get Walker she would play back up 5 to Cardoso. If we get Morrow I still believe she may start some at the 4 and then transition to the 3 when we put in a Feagin/Watkins in and whoever doesn't come in Morrow would play the backup 5. Dawn loves to have a spark of energy off the bench and I could see either Feagin/Watkins being that if Morrow happens to choose us.

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
I think we get Sakime Walker. She appears to have only visited us and ole miss. If she wanted Ole miss she would have committed already

Reactions: Goody

GivEmDaSpurs

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Jan 17, 2022
Line ups I have
1 Johnson/ Fuliwiley
2 Paopao/ Cooper/Tessa
3 Hall /Kitts/Jah
4 Feagin /Watkins
5 Cardoso

Outside of Johnson and Cardoso, I see everyone else capable of playing up or down a position.

If we get Walker she would play back up 5 to Cardoso. If we get Morrow I still believe she may start some at the 4 and then transition to the 3 when we put in a Feagin/Watkins in and whoever doesn't come in Morrow would play the backup 5. Dawn loves to have a spark of energy off the bench and I could see either Feagin/Watkins being that if Morrow happens to choose us.
Morrow at 6’1 will not be playing the 5 spot. She is a 4 that can play the 3.

Reactions: Goody

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Morrow at 6’1 will not be playing the 5 spot. She is a 4 that can play the 3.
I have Morrow as a 3/4. Perhaps I worded it kinda weird. I'm saying that Morrow would start at the 4 and either Feagin or Watkins would fill in for her. Whoever is still on the bench between Feagin/Watkins would then play the backup for Cardoso.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs

SCcocks4ever

Jan 25, 2022
This may stir some things up. Personally I had feared all week before we played Iowa that we would get into early foul trouble. I must have read a half dozen stories before the final 4 regarding Maryland bitching the fouls were one sided when they played us. IMO that effected the way the Iowa game was called. A team that good, that loaded, had no business losing that game.

Last edited:

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
Wonder if they are still in the running for coubaily as well? She’s been linked to Texas A&M and Tenn but since then it’s been very quiet

Reactions: winloseortie

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
Looking at some other boards, appears Morrow is going to commit to LSU as early as today. Really thought she would visit here prior to her decision. I guess she liked what LSU had to offer.

Reactions: miller1984

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Looking at some other boards, appears Morrow is going to commit to LSU as early as today. Really thought she would visit here prior to her decision. I guess she liked what LSU had to offer.
Another reason, as if we needed one, to kick their tails on the court!

Reactions: CWW

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
well if that's the case, hopefully Sakima Walker signs and DS has an in on Jewel Spear for a visit.

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
This may stir some things up. Personally I had feared all week before we played Iowa that we would get into early foul trouble. I must have read a half dozen stories before the final 4 regarding Maryland bitching the fouls were one sided when they played us. IMO that effected the way the Iowa game was called. A team that good, that loaded, had no business losing that game.

Of course it did. It had a profound effect and changed the outcome of the game. I say that in spite of the fact that we did play”that game” we all dreaded and replicated some off nights we had already seen earlier in the year. Earlier we won in spite of that. The officiating was the X factor though. We should have beaten them by fifteen.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Of course it did. It had a profound effect and changed the outcome of the game. I say that in spite of the fact that did play”that game” we all dreaded and replicated some off nights we had already seen earlier in the year. Earlier we won in spite of that. The officiating was the X factor though. We should have beaten them by fifteen.
We should have won it anyway. We were that superior. No, I'm not letting questionable officiating off the hook, but we were vastly physically superior to Iowa.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I maybe wrong…but I don’t think a top player would turn DS down without a visit. And I certainly don’t think a player would cancel a visit with Dawn at the last minute…knowing a lot of preparation had gone into that visit.

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
I maybe wrong…but I don’t think a top player would turn DS down without a visit. And I certainly don’t think a player would cancel a visit with Dawn at the last minute…knowing a lot of preparation had gone into that visit.
You wouldn't think that would happen but money changes everything

Reactions: CWW

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
Well again it could mean anything but Angel Reese posted this yesterday 🙃 which she does when they seem to get good news. She did right before we found out about HVL to LSU.
I think its rude to schedule a visit and not come but also maybe its worse to come and let us spend money on you and you already had your mind made up. If she comes there is certainly still the possibility she changes her mind and signs with us but I do not have a good feeling about it at all.
I know .... we really don't know what is going on but the smoke on her going to LSU is only gaining momentum and usually these rumors turn out to be true.
Today is Dawn's birthday and if she announces today that she is going to LSU then she will be dead to me 😂😂😂. I kid I kid! 🤔

Reactions: Cockburn and CWW

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
I really like this young lady already.

This someone who gets it. She wants to be prepared for the next level not someone looking for a title or a great NIL deal. I hope she is rewarded with both!

Because guess what if you get drafted and don't make it on a team then those NIL deals aren't going to be around.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This someone who gets it. She wants to be prepared for the next level not someone looking for a title or a great NIL deal. I hope she is rewarded with both!

Because guess what if you get drafted and don't make it on a team then those NIL deals aren't going to be around.
Dawn does so many things right. I find it intriguing that NIL is such the big draw to LSU.

Their concept of NIL appears to me to be based on cult of personality. The analogy to me is TV Evangelists. Pumping the individual up as the only one that matters.

Dawn’s vision of NIL seems different in some respects. She has gotten the players stock options with IPO’s and other resources that are not individually based. She has consistently talked about generational wealth, which to me means she is focusing on the systemic relationship to money. We have Jade Li English who the most prominent agent in WBB. This is in addition supporting individuals and their NIL deals.

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
Dawn does so many things right. I find it intriguing that NIL is such the big draw to LSU.

Their concept of NIL appears to me to be based on cult of personality. The analogy to me is TV Evangelists. Pumping the individual up as the only one that matters.

Dawn’s vision of NIL seems different in some respects. She has gotten the players stock options with IPO’s and other resources that are not individually based. She has consistently talked about generational wealth, which to me means she is focusing on the systemic relationship to money. We have Jade Li English who the most prominent agent in WBB. This is in addition supporting individuals and their NIL deals.
Dawn opens so many doors, not only while they're here, but long term career wise. I can't say the same for some other coaches. Spaces are so limited in professional basketball and you can't play forever. Sad to see young people unable to see the vision.