2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

GarnetGhost

Joined Apr 22, 2014
Jan 18, 2022
You do understand that she didn't tell SC today, right? Wouldn't it have been more disrespectful to go on the visit with her mind made up?
Unless you are in her inner circle you have no idea. If she told Dawn earlier why not make it public earlier?

secocks

Joined Sep 12, 1999
Jan 26, 2022
That's what it looks like. Hopefully we still pick up another big, preferably Walker. I still like the construction of our team we just lack the experience. I think we'll see a more fast paced and offensive minded team next season.
I will believe that when I see it. We have a lot of players on the bench that will have to proof that they can consistently shoot outside and not just make layups. As for as freshmen it usually an adjustment coming from high school to college. It took Cooke a long time to become a consistent scorer. If we get Walker I see Dawn running the same half court offense. As Lou once said you only have to be better than the team you are playing. I see a good season but I think Uconn, LSU and Iowa off the top of my head as being tough match ups for next year’s team. I am not gloom and doom just spoiled by our success. I would love being wrong and hope I am.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
The Carolina women should/could easily have 4 championships by now..The covid year and this past year are two I wish they could have got...I'm afraid the road is going to be alot tougher in the future with many more schools putting emphasis and resources on the women's team.
Right now, I feel like we are being passed; I don't like the feeling. I feel LSU increasing; I feel us decreasing. But those are feelings, time will tell. I'm not talking about a lot of time, either. We'll know the truth well before Cinco de Mayo comes around again.

Reactions: miller1984

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Our roster may be set. I believe we needed post depth and a experienced guard with preferably range. We got both and our post rotation should be pretty straightforward now.

4- Feagin/Watkins/Kitts
5- Cardoso/ Walker
I love the addition of Walker. I'm on record in this thread having my doubts about Morrow fitting in here. Maybe she sees it as well. She can't defend the 4 spot as well as Feagin or Watkins. She would have to play the 3, which is probably her preferred position; however, at LSU, she can play the 4 as well when Reese is in foul trouble.

Walker REALLY liked Coach Mo. Great job by Dawn and her staff to get her away from Ole Miss.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I have been very vocal about not really wanting Morrow from day 1. So when I critique her game, it is not sour grapes because she did not sign with us. To be very clear, she is a great talent, but I don’t think she fits our needs. Very good scorer and even better rebounder.

She is a 6’0” maybe 6’1” post player. She plays in a league that is perimeter game driven. UConn was the only team that had a semblance of a post offense. She is not a great post defender nor is she a great 3 point shooter. My fear is that she would have struggled at the 3 here, and/or gummed up the rotation at the 4 and been a poor defender at either position.

In addition her stats are skewed for what her production would have been here. She played almost 36 minutes a game. In 75% of her games she took at least 23 shots. In those 24 games she averaged 28 shots per game. Not 28 points but 28 SHOTS! Add in the fact that she averaged 6 free throws per game and almost all of those fouls came on shot attempts. That’s over 30 shots a game!! THAT IS MORE ATTEMPTS PER GAME THAN BOSTON AND COOKE COMBINED! Boston and Cooke averaged their’s on a combined 53 minutes per game.

I would have much rather had Spear and am really pissed she went to UT.

With Walker and PaoPao we met our needs for another 5/true post player and much improved 3 point shooting. We got talent that is committed to team and D. AND we didn’t eff up chemistry

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I have been very vocal about not really wanting Morrow from day 1. So when I critique her game, it is not sour grapes because she did not sign with us. To be very clear, she is a great talent, but I don’t think she fits our needs. Very good scorer and even better rebounder.

She is a 6’0” maybe 6’1” post player. She plays in a league that is perimeter game driven. UConn was the only team that had a semblance of a post offense. She is not a great post defender nor is she a great 3 point shooter. My fear is that she would have struggled at the 3 here, and/or gummed up the rotation at the 4 and been a poor defender at either position.

In addition her stats are skewed for what her production would have been here. She played almost 36 minutes a game. In 75% of her games she took at least 23 shots. In those 24 games she averaged 28 shots per game. Not 28 points but 28 SHOTS! Add in the fact that she averaged 6 free throws per game and almost all of those fouls came on shot attempts. That’s over 30 shots a game!! THAT IS MORE ATTEMPTS PER GAME THAN BOSTON AND COOKE COMBINED! Boston and Cooke averaged their’s on a combined 53 minutes per game.

With Walker and PaoPao we met our needs for another 5/true post player and much improved 3 point shooting. We got talent that is committed to team and D. AND we didn’t eff up chemistry
I know it doesn’t matter now but her time on the court and playing style has a lot to do with the coach for those games. Oh, well.

Reactions: Sis_aac9

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I know it doesn’t matter now but her time on the court and playing style has a lot to do with the coach for those games. Oh, well.
Meh, maybe more to do with lack of talent on the team. I am just trying to put her game and stats in context. She is going to struggle in the SEC on D no matter what position she plays. She will rebound great no matter what position she plays. She will get half as many scoring opportunities at LSU as she did at DePaul, if she is lucky.
My critique is not about her overall talent but that it is not really a fit with our on hand talent and expectations on D

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022

I had the same chemistry concerns as you. She actually led the nation in shot attempts last season.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022

I would have liked Spear as well but having her join the team after we already signed Paopao would probably stunt the growth of some younger players. at 5'10 could/would she have played the three for us? I'm trying to convince myself that the silver lining to not signing another transfer backcourt player is it should allow Fulwiley and Cooper to play more off guard next year and hopefully develop their terrific potential for future seasons. depending on how things play out, It may also help with our recruitment of Cambridge for 24. If DS is able to secure both her and Edwards in 24, now that would be legendary.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I would have liked Spear as well but having her join the team after we already signed Paopao would probably stunt the growth of some younger players. at 5'10 could/would she have played the three for us? I'm trying to convince myself that the silver lining to not signing another transfer backcourt player is it should allow Fulwiley and Cooper to play more off guard next year and hopefully develop their terrific potential for future seasons. depending on how things play out, It may also help with our recruitment of Cambridge for 24. If DS is able to secure both her and Edwards in 24, now that would be legendary.
Against many teams we could have employed a three guard offense with Spear and not been hurt defensively. May still do that at times with Fulwiley or Johnson being the third guard.

What is above legendary? We are very involved with Koval #3 national recruit 6’5”, #4 Carlton 6’2 F and #10 Thomas 6’5”.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
What we need at the 3 is the best version of Breezy Hall possible. She's 6 ft tall and a very good perimeter defender. With our post players and Paopao demanding attention, she will have plenty of open looks.

I like the possibility of Raven, Feagin and Breezy in the starting lineup. Those 3 came in together and are close. Aliyah took them under wing and mentored them. All 3 will be back in 24-25. They give us solid foundation lacking in many teams that fill slapped together using the portal. Those 3 with Cardoso and Paopao are a formidable starting lineup.

Creek Snake

Feb 16, 2022
Right now, I feel like we are being passed; I don't like the feeling. I feel LSU increasing; I feel us decreasing. But those are feelings, time will tell. I'm not talking about a lot of time, either. We'll know the truth well before Cinco de Mayo comes around again.
Right now I'd have to rank the women 4th or 5th for next year.....LSU,UConn,then USC ,UCLA and Iowa......Don't sleep on Ole Miss.I like their coach.

shiverz

Joined Jan 19, 2002
Feb 17, 2022
I maybe wrong…but I don’t think a top player would turn DS down without a visit. And I certainly don’t think a player would cancel a visit with Dawn at the last minute…knowing a lot of preparation had gone into that visit.
Angel Reese did it twice to SC.

Reactions: miller1984

shiverz

Joined Jan 19, 2002
Feb 17, 2022
I will believe that when I see it. We have a lot of players on the bench that will have to proof that can consistently shoot outside and not just make layups. As far as freshmen it usually an adjustment coming from high school to college. It took Cooke a long time to become a consistent scorer. If we get Walker I see Dawn running the same half court offense. As Lou once said you only have to be better than the team you are playing. I see a good season but I think Uconn, LSU and Iowa off the top of my head as being tough match ups for next year’s team. I am not gloom and doom just spoiled by our success. I would love being wrong and hope I am.
We have more McDonalds All Americans than any team in the country. The SEC still runs through SC. I trust Dawn to mold them into a championship team.

secocks

Joined Sep 12, 1999
Jan 26, 2022
We have more McDonalds All Americans than any team in the country. The SEC still runs through SC. I trust Dawn to mold them into a championship team.
When you look at a team for next year you first ask who are the leading scorers coming back. Those other teams start why ahead of us. Potential is just potential until you do it.

anonymous gamecock

Joined Oct 7, 2021
Feb 16, 2022
The starting 5 next season should look like this

PG: Raven - 5-8 Rs. Soph - Paopao should be the backup PG dependent on how Dawn staggers minutes.
SG: PaoPao - 5-9 Senior - Should see a mixture of Fulwiley, Johnson and Cooper here
SF - Breezy - 6-0 Junior - Kitts should be the backup 3 (can see Johnson or Cooper here in 3 guard lineups)
PF - Feagin - 6-3 Junior - Watkins (gonna be a battle between her and Sania next year) and Sahnya Jah
C - Cardoso - 6-7 Senior - Walker 6-5 Junior

So we should have plenty of size and shooting.

I'm really interested to see if Kitts can play the wing or if she's gonna be a small ball 4. If Chloe can defend wings, then she's a matchup nightmare down the road. With her ability to put the ball on the floor at her size, especially if the shooting translates.

Now when looking ahead to 2024's recruiting class. If you're selling this roster to Cambridge and Edwards. There's playing time available. For those two specifically you can say they'd have to wait a year for Sania and Raven to graduate. Then they'd be the starters at the point and the PF positions. I think we'll see Ashlyn move to the center spot by her Junior Year, to get her and Sania on the floor for Sania's senior year.

Dreaus

Sep 10, 2022
Yes potential is potential, but I like our chances. We win with defense and we have the coaches that know how to get the best out of our players. Cardoso, Feagin, Hall, Raven, Pao Pao would be my guess at the starting 5. Walker, Watkins, Kitts, Cooper and Fulwiley.

Dreaus

Sep 10, 2022
The starting 5 next season should look like this

PG: Raven - 5-8 Rs. Soph - Paopao should be the backup PG dependent on how Dawn staggers minutes.
SG: PaoPao - 5-9 Senior - Should see a mixture of Fulwiley, Johnson and Cooper here
SF - Breezy - 6-0 Junior - Kitts should be the backup 3 (can see Johnson or Cooper here in 3 guard lineups)
PF - Feagin - 6-3 Junior - Watkins (gonna be a battle between her and Sania next year) and Sahnya Jah
C - Cardoso - 6-7 Senior - Walker 6-5 Junior

So we should have plenty of size and shooting.

I'm really interested to see if Kitts can play the wing or if she's gonna be a small ball 4. If Chloe can defend wings, then she's a matchup nightmare down the road. With her ability to put the ball on the floor at her size, especially if the shooting translates.

Now when looking ahead to 2024's recruiting class. If you're selling this roster to Cambridge and Edwards. There's playing time available. For those two specifically you can say they'd have to wait a year for Sania and Raven to graduate. Then they'd be the starters at the point and the PF positions. I think we'll see Ashlyn move to the center spot by her Junior Year, to get her and Sania on the floor for Sania's senior year.
I'm in total agreement.

Reactions: Sis_aac9

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Not that there were many problems last year, but one of the few issues that gave Dawn trouble last year -- and ultimately lead to the Iowa loss -- was the starting lineup. Aliyah and Saxton were slow getting up & down the court. Coach believed playing Raven with them would be a waste of what she does best --- push the pace in the open court. Raven should have been the starter, certainly by the time we reached the Iowa game. And she did play most of that game, after Fletcher fizzled out. Amihere should have started as well, but Dawn preferred her on the floor with Raven. Amihere did play most of the Iowa game, after Saxton fizzled out.

Confusion about the staring lineup should not be a problem this coming season...Praise the Lord! Both Cardoso and Walker run the court extremely well for their size. We could be "all gas, no brakes" this season. It depends on how coach wants to play this team. Raven can play both fast and slow. But if we play slow, it's imperative she improve her outside shooting, which I'm sure she's working on.

Here's video of Walker. Notice how well she runs the court, even late in game and she seldom comes out.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Iowa will not make the final 4 next year. The loss of Czinano will be too much for them to overcome and not seeing where they have made any significant moves in the portal.

and they only had one signee in their recruiting class

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Iowa will not make the final 4 next year. The loss of Czinano will be too much for them to overcome and not seeing where they have made any significant moves in the portal.

and they only had one signee in their recruiting class
Agreed. Clark is probably a lock for NPOY since she'll have to score even more. And Reese won't win it with all that help, plus her antics don't help her case. To Reese's credit, she appears more concerned with winning than personal awards.

Btw, good call on Spear leaving Wake Forest. I suspect UT contacted her, indirectly of course. Weird how she waited and then made a decision so quickly. Some have said the same about Dawn and Paopao, so I'm not mad. Just how the game is played, I guess.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Your SEC Portal analysis, you are welcome 😏

Who is left out there that could really help a team?

Aicha Coulibaly #22 is the only top 50 portal player left. She has been rumored to A&M for several weeks but nothing official yet.

Also Diamond Johnson is in portal. She was a teammate of Sakima Walker at Rutgers

BIG WINNERS

LSU- HVL#1 & Morrow#2

Gamecocks- Paopao #7 & Walker, would have been at least top 15(JUCO, but basically in the portal cycle)

UT- Spear top 10 but out late and did not get ranked & Wells #17 should start immediately. Avery Strickland should be a nice addition off the bench. They did lose Pissott, which could eventually be a big loss and it was to Vandy. Ouch!

OM- Deans #14 and Williams #11 should start. Richardson should be a very good boost off the bench. They did quite well but missing out on Sakima Walker REALLY hurt, and to the gamecocks probably steamed Coach Yo to no end.

All four of these teams should be hosting first round games

Miss St- Rogers #19 and Barnum #21 will start instantly.

A&M- Endiya Rogers #5 and Ware #31 are starters and fill desperate needs. Kendall Hunter was a top 25 recruit who missed a season with injuries. 3 years eligibility left. Sign Coulibaly#22 and Joni is smiling all the way to the dance.

WINNERS

UGA- Destiny Thomas a 10&10 post player and Taniyah Thompson 3 year starter at ECU and 1 year starter at Penn St.

Bama- Burger Williams 14 pt scorer will help. Newman 6’3” post was top 35 in HS, 5&5 as a freshman. Timmons will add bench strength.

Vandy- not really “winners”, but they got better with Pissott from UT and Jordyn Oliver from Duke

LOSERS

Arkansas- Barnum#21 and Rylee Langerman who was a spark off the bench

Mizzou- starter Lauren Hansen and 6th player Jayla Kelly

UK- Really didn’t have much to lose, well except their best player, Jada Walker#18 and top recruit Jaloni Cambridge. Say goodbye to Kyra Elzy.

BIG LOSERS

UF- Lost starters KK Deans, Nina Rickards, and Jordan Merritt. Also Lost the Wyche Twins. Yikes!

Auburn- Coulibaly, Richardson, Romi Levi and Sania Wells. Pain on the Plains

Last edited:

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Milaysia is in a 3pt contest and then plays in a game that starts at the 1 hour and 23minute mark.

She can shoot and from deep range, just needs to slow down a little. For those saying we need shooters, need to pay attention to her and Tessa Johnson next season.

Latest posts