2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I'll propound this: we're in a good place, and any roster change(s) are already known to this coaching staff. Anything that is going to happen as far as bringing someone in is already foreseen and arranged. I think that's the way it was with Pao-pao last year.

Reactions: Goody and CockyGirl

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Thought/suggestion for the hive mind. Are y’all as confused as me about the roster of every SEC Team? Who left? Who stayed? Who has fifth year? Is there any way we could collectively look at say a team every other day or do we wait a month and just let the dust settle?
Too many coaches following the horrible example of Mulkey and trying to win next season with no concern for the future. These young coaches need to focus on building a solid foundation imo. Their situation is not the same as Mulkey's. Joanie has been the biggest loser so far. I have no idea what A&M's current roster looks like. Purcell is looking to bring in Enya Russell and HVL for a year while losing promising young players like Myracle Sheppard. Perhaps I'm underestimating the pressure to win now on these young coaches.

Florida and Vandy, on the other hand, appear to have some roster stability and are bringing in McDonald's All-Americans. I think they will be better off in the long run for this approach.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
Too many coaches following the horrible example of Mulkey and trying to win next season with no concern for the future. These young coaches need to focus on building a solid foundation imo. Their situation is not the same as Mulkey's. Joanie has been the biggest loser so far. I have no idea what A&M's current roster looks like. Purcell is looking to bring in Enya Russell and HVL for a year while losing promising young players like Myracle Sheppard. Perhaps I'm underestimating the pressure to win now on these young coaches.

Florida and Vandy, on the other hand, appear to have some roster stability and are bringing in McDonald's All-Americans. I think they will be better off in the long run for this approach.
I think some coaches honestly are still trying to learn about the transfer portal. Some use it to just fill a piece in their current roster (i.e. Dawn Staley) while others are using it to try and be an instant fix (Kim Mulkey). However the instant fix is not truly sustainable long term because you are always replacing and retooling and never having players grow in your system and learn it over the long term. That is what Dawn has and honestly if we go back to it, that was what Frank Martins best team had. The final four team had Thornwell, Notice, Silva, Dozier, etc who had been in his system a while and had grown to know how to play it to perfection. Frank just couldnt keep players other than that group long enough to build that again. Many coaches today are coaching real teams like most of us would on Playstation or Xbox. I used to love to do a fantasy draft for baseball season and make tons of trades to build perfect roster and dominate. That only truly happens on those games and not real life sports. As soon as coaches understand that better, then players will begin to understand it and all things will settle down.

uscphan

Joined Jan 27, 2001
Jan 24, 2022
Great coaches that have built great programs based on culture and development see very few transfers out. These programs fill holes via the portal. Any coach or program that relies heavily on the portal each year is more or less trying to cover up their own failures in building a program. On occasion, it works, but is not maintainable long term. Unfortunately for us, our football is in this state. And MBB is headed this way but willing to give Paris another year or 2 to establish his program

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Christy Curry at Bama is somebody for the moment who is using the portal and also trying to recruit. They will have 5 fifth yr seniors this year, all from the portal; SAB, Loyal McQueen, Jessica Timmons, and Aliyah Nye all played for Bama last season and averaged double figures. They have brought in Zaay Green for next year 17ppg. They bring back 5 star Essence Cody and have signed Eris Lester#36 and Chloe Spreen who is just outside the top 💯
They will be a tough out next season

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Sharing Mark Schindler’s (The Athletic‘s resident bracketologist & scouting/draft guru) comments & observations on Joyce Edwards from the Nike Hoop Summit. Long, but worth the read. Short review- he‘s very impressed with her game, talent, & potential.

”(on offense) Edwards' base is so low to the ground in spite of her size, which makes her such a difficult player to guard. She has the tightness of handle and compactness in her drive game to take bigger players off the dribble with ease. She has the strength and base to score over smaller opponents and back them down into the rim. She uses angles well to establish position and get to the rim. She made multiple good reads out of double teams she drew. She hit a few jumpers from mid-range and has the room to keep expanding that facet of her game.

My favorite aspect of her offensive game is her touch on the ball. She is adept using her length to secure the ball, attacking the basket with extension finishes: The closer you are to the basket when you release the ball, the more efficient you likely are to be (there are of course exceptions to the rule). Edwards is incredibly aggressive in her rips, post moves, and off the dribble attacks, but blends that seamlessly with the deftness as a finisher. It is rare to pair that force and gentleness, part of what I feel makes her such a potent scorer.

Edwards' commitment to the defensive end last night was what was most special. As mentioned prior with the guard play, the US was struggling mightily to create easy offense. That was jumpstarted by the intensity Edwards infused defensively, as multiple players across the roster stood up and elevated their games as well with defensive pressure.

It's easy to see how Edwards fits into South Carolina's system and schemes, but also the team ethos. She'll be an instant contributor for the Gamecocks, and it's wild to think about what that frontcourt rotation will look like for Dawn Staley next season. Yes, Kamilla Cardoso will be gone, but Ashlyn Watkins, Chloe Kitts, and Sania Feagin are all back with another off-season of growing their games. This group will be smaller without Cardoso, but the versatility they'll bring to both ends with Edwards in the mix as well will be quite difficult to matchup with for anyone on the schedule next season, let alone in SEC play”
I definitely couldn't say it any better myself. That guy writes like the F Scott Fitzgerald of women's basketball scouts. lol.

Like him, I was very surprised by Edwards' impact on the defensive end. She used her athleticism and intensity to cause 2 turnovers by the World team to start the 4th quarter which set the tone for the USA comeback.

Koval ended up with 6 turnovers in the game. She shot 3 from behind the arc. The World team had a difficult time getting the ball into Koval, even though she had 3 inches on Edwards. The transition from defense to offense is where Joyce really shines. Imagine Edwards and Fulwiley on the court at the same time. I'm so ready for next season. LFG!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
In the past 24 hours Cardoso has already released endorsement deals with Buffalo Wild Wings, Sephora and Invisalign. The NCAA has to find a way to let international students participate in NIL. So much money she left on the table because of citizenship
I think that anyone who is here with the proper paperwork should be good to go, citizen or not.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Alas King you are a sensible man, but this is the government AND the NCAA we are talking about.
If a person with the appropriate visa can work in the U.S. and get paid - and/or earn supplemental income, then what is the ACTUAL legal impediment RIGHT NOW to foreign students here on student visas earning NIL money? Let's see what @Rogue Cock has to say about it.

Reactions: PFUNK Cock

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
If a person with the appropriate visa can work in the U.S. and get paid - and/or earn supplemental income, then there is probably no ACTUAL legal impediment RIGHT NOW to foreign students here on student visas earning NIL money. Let's see what @Rogue Cock has to say about it.
They are on Student Visas which does not permit them to work. That is what the new bill in Congress is supposed to address.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
They are on Student Visas which does not permit them to work. That is what the new bill in Congress is supposed to address.
Correct, but there are a couple of exceptions for school-related employment, 20 hours absolute limit for employment while school is in session, and 40 hours when it is not. Outside pay for international students is generally the minimum wage. And, you are correct, the new immigration bill is supposed to address these issues.

EDIT: Those are the basic (very basic) rules. It's actually more complicated than that. I don't do any immigration law, but had a friend that I worked with in the athletic department when I was getting my MBA and he was very strict with his hours.....15 minutes over and he violates his F-1 Visa.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Christy Curry at Bama is somebody for the moment who is using the portal and also trying to recruit. They will have 5 fifth yr seniors this year, all from the portal; SAB, Loyal McQueen, Jessica Timmons, and Aliyah Nye all played for Bama last season and averaged double figures. They have brought in Zaay Green for next year 17ppg. They bring back 5 star Essence Cody and have signed Eris Lester#36 and Chloe Spreen who is just outside the top 💯
They will be a tough out next season
Looks like they might be losing one.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Looks like they might be losing one.

Just don’t get it.

But it is Loyal McQueen🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Originally recruited by us, committed to UNC, decommitted, committed to Wake, decommitted, signed With GaTech and played one full year, quit the team 3 games into her sophomore year, then was a January enrollee at Bama.

I’m thinking she might ought to change her first name

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Just don’t get it.

Originally recruited by us, committed to UNC, decommitted, committed to Wake, decommitted, signed With GaTech and played one full year, quit the team 3 games into her sophomore year, then was a January enrollee at Bama.

I'm thinking she's Exhibit A as to why the transfer rules need to be further addressed.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Just don’t get it.

This was just 6 days ago

Maybe Bama is adding a point guard through the portal, but I doubt they could land one better than McQueen.

Perhaps it's a some discontent about how much other players on the team are making in NIL money. That must be an issue within programs.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
If a person with the appropriate visa can work in the U.S. and get paid - and/or earn supplemental income, then what is the ACTUAL legal impediment RIGHT NOW to foreign students here on student visas earning NIL money? Let's see what @Rogue Cock has to say about it.
I believe Mr Charles Dickens explained it in a way even you will understand….

If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a *** — a idiot.
Quote by Charles Dickens: “It was all Mrs. Bumble. She would do it," urged...”
1713304544624.png

• Haha
Reactions: Rogue Cock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I'm thinking she's Exhibit A as to why the transfer rules need to be further addressed.
Why? And why so chapped at her? She transferred once and is now a graduate transfer. Many do this. it’s no different than HVL.

Goody

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Jan 30, 2022
Just don’t get it.

She and Mingo Young must be trying to collect retirement pay for playing college basketball!!! 🤔

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Well, we lost out on Rodriquez. I guess she was mo concerned with staying close to home than winning. Best of luck to her.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Someone said on The Boneyard that one of Alabama’s asst coaches is going to Tenn so I wonder if that’s where Loyal is headed as well.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I have a hard time believing she had a committable offer bc no coaches or players follow any of her social media accounts.
Losing two young "big guards--Jah and Cooper--I could see us offering. She would have helped fill a need. UConn definitely offered, so she had big time interest.

With the portal being what it is now, we could address the lack of big guards in our freshman and sophomore classes in the future. Basically using other schools as a farm system.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Well, maybe she's not Exhibit A. Maybe it's that girl you cited in post #9547.
Zaay Green. It will be her 4th school in 7 years. But dang dude now you want to pick on a woman working on her second masters degree. She has rehabbed from 2 major knee surgeries that cost her 2.5 seasons of playing time. Everybody has got a story, well except Kim Mulkey.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Zaay Green. It will be her 4th school in 7 years. But dang dude now you want to pick on a woman working on her second masters degree. She has rehabbed from 2 major knee surgeries that cost her 2.5 seasons of playing time. Everybody has got a story, well except Kim Mulkey.
Hey, the transfer system needs work. You know it and I know it. And if it doesn't, the medical redshirt system apparently does. The college experience wasn't intended to be a perpetuity.

Neither do I buy into the notion that scholarship athletes have been at a disadvantage to students in general. Most regular students are neither repeatedly transferring nor cashing in on free everything plus potential fringe benefits with every move.

Let's get some real-world experiential college attendance data together and conform the student-athlete template to that. Whatever the median transfer experience is nationwide, make that the student- athlete limit, irrespective of sitting or not sitting. Don't even bring that into it.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
I'll propound this: we're in a good place, and any roster change(s) are already known to this coaching staff. Anything that is going to happen as far as bringing someone in is already foreseen and arranged. I think that's the way it was with Pao-pao last year.
I would propound this King….we all love your input but sometimes the overreach in trying to always or often “propound” gets a little stale, but you keep doing you, don’t let me stop you from your linguistic athletics….you seem to enjoy the schtick. Go for it. I can pass over, I have learned to do so. One suggestion, in the moment when you are “propounding“ , sometimes step back and see if that stuff is even relevant. It’s often just word salad sadly.

Latest posts