2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Hey, the transfer system needs work. You know it and I know it. And if it doesn't, the medical redshirt system apparently does. The college experience wasn't intended to be a perpetuity.

Neither do I buy into the notion that scholarship athletes have been at a disadvantage to students in general. Most regular students are neither repeatedly transferring nor cashing in on free everything plus potential fringe benefits with every move.

Let's get some real-world experiential college attendance data together and conform the student-athlete template to that. Whatever the median transfer experience is nationwide, make that the student- athlete limit, irrespective of sitting or not sitting. Don't even bring that into it.
All I’m asking you is to know a little about the athletes you use as straw men/women for your generalizations that’s all.

Your whole premise above is bogus. College athletics is a whole different world from the “college experience”. And the schools not the athletes made it this way. Whether we like it or not athletes are commodities. Right now they are in an insane free market.

I will stop there, to go further with you would require alcohol, wings and games on multiple big screens. Not that I am not averse to that occasion

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
All I’m asking you is to know a little about the athletes you use as straw men/women for your generalizations that’s all.

Your whole premise above is bogus. College athletics is a whole different world from the “college experience”. And the schools not the athletes made it this way. Whether we like it or not athletes are commodities. Right now they are in an insane free market.

I will stop there, to go further with you would require alcohol, wings and games on multiple big screens. Not that I am not averse to that occasion
We can't go on the way we're going. If that's a generalization, it's one that will be proven ultimately correct. Watch and see. Disconnection to this extent from the core realities of what college is cannot endure indefinitely.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
We can't go on the way we're going. If that's a generalization, it's one that will be proven ultimately correct. Watch and see. Disconnection to this extent from the core realities of what college is cannot endure indefinitely.
So no to the offer of beer and wings. Your loss.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
About this same time a year ago, I wrote a post suggesting Dawn lost in the Final Four because she was loyal to certain players. She would live with the results because, in the end, what's most important to her is the culture--"The Fam." She's playing the long game. And the "long game" resulted in an UNDEFEATED season the very NEXT YEAR. Truly Amazing. Honestly, I thought this team had a shot at the national title to begin the season, but never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate an undefeated season.

So I find it interesting that I see posters suggesting Dawn needs to bring in a player and plug them in Cardoso's spot. Do y'all believe coach is going to bring in someone to play ahead of Sania Feagin?

Yes, last year she was very active in the portal. Buuut...we lost 5 players and Amihere. Plus, we were coming off a loss to Iowa, so improvements, especially on the perimeter, needed to be addressed. And even with all the off-season activity, Dawn still brought in only one player through the portal, Paopao (Walker was a JUCO player). Paopao played a position, shooting guard, that no one else on the roster was anticipated to play. Had Paopao not come here, I'm not sure who would have played that position. We probably would have brought in someone who is not as good as Te-Hina. Thankfully, she did come and the rest is history.

So, coming off an undefeated national championship season, I find it highly unlikely she is going plug in a transfer to replace the ONE player who left. Hey, maybe I don't know coach as well as I think I do. Perhaps there is a player just too good to pass up. However, when you consider she's only 54, I don't see why she would abandon the long game.

Which doesn't mean she won't use the portal at all. However, it will be more strategic than just bringing in a big name imo.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
About this same time a year ago, I wrote a post suggesting Dawn lost in the Final Four because she was loyal to certain players. She would live with the results because, in the end, what's most important to her is the culture--"The Fam." She's playing the long game. And the "long game" resulted in an UNDEFEATED season the very NEXT YEAR. Truly Amazing. Honestly, I thought this team had a shot at the national title to begin the season, but never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate an undefeated season.

So I find it interesting that I see posters suggesting Dawn needs to bring in a player and plug them in Cardoso's spot. Do y'all believe coach is going to bring in someone to play ahead of Sania Feagin?

Yes, last year she was very active in the portal. Buuut...we lost 5 players and Amihere. Plus, we were coming off a loss to Iowa, so improvements, especially on the perimeter, needed to be addressed. And even with all the off-season activity, Dawn still brought in only one player through the portal, Paopao (Walker was a JUCO player). Paopao played a position, shooting guard, that no one else on the roster was anticipated to play. Had Paopao not come here, I'm not sure who would have played that position. We probably would have brought in someone who is not as good as Te-Hina. Thankfully, she did come and the rest is history.

So, coming off an undefeated national championship season, I find it highly unlikely she is going plug in a transfer to replace the ONE player who left. Hey, maybe I don't know coach as well as I think I do. Perhaps there is a player just too good to pass up. However, when you consider she's only 54, I don't see why she would abandon the long game.

Which doesn't mean she won't use the portal at all. However, it will be more strategic than just bringing in a big name imo.

I believe the only reason people are saying find a big to replace Cardossa is that we have been spoiled over the last several years with having someone 6'5" or taller in the post and that is a HUGE advantage in the womens game. I do think Watkins, Feagin, Tac and possiboy Edwards can handle that roll BUT if Walker leaves, it would be nice to have perhaps one more solid post player in there. i dont think we need any guards at all. We are set at guard, especially is Maddy is healthy as a freshman next year.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I believe the only reason people are saying find a big to replace Cardossa is that we have been spoiled over the last several years with having someone 6'5" or taller in the post and that is a HUGE advantage in the womens game. I do think Watkins, Feagin, Tac and possiboy Edwards can handle that roll BUT if Walker leaves, it would be nice to have perhaps one more solid post player in there. i dont think we need any guards at all. We are set at guard, especially is Maddy is healthy as a freshman next year.
Everything else being equal, it seems that whether or not we are as good or better probably depends on Tac.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Yes Dawn was about as active as she will ever be in the Portal and Kim Mulkey help her get it right.

We never pursued HVL but we did want Morrow. Thank God she went to LSU. She is a much better player than I gave her credit for. She is however an undersized 4 who knows she has to learn the 3 to make the W. Well that hasn’t happened. She would have made a crowded position here worse or would have really struggled at the 3.

We both thought Paopao was the perfect fit game and personality.

It was so weird to look at this team last May and to think this is actually could be a better team. Very different but better.

As to the Portal, who would you actually take? Iriafen if she approached us, how could you say no? Or Lauren Betts, that’s it.

I worry about our 2025 recruiting class for several reasons.
1. We are stacked
2. No local kids, in fact very very few from the Southeast. It’s a west coast class.
3. Brooks at UK, simply because there are 2 top 15 players from Kentucky that we have been pursuing.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Unless Kiki Iriafen wants to be a Gamecock I think I'm fine with not getting anyone in the portal. Any other portal piece would be need to be for depth purposes only. We have enough talent amongst our forwards that we will have a advantage against 95% of teams even if we don't have a size advantage. Also worth remembering that Tac and Sakima have grew size, any meaningful minutes from either of them is gravy.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Unless Kiki Iriafen wants to be a Gamecock I think I'm fine with not getting anyone in the portal. Any other portal piece would be need to be for depth purposes only. We have enough talent amongst our forwards that we will have a advantage against 95% of teams even if we don't have a size advantage. Also worth remembering that Tac and Sakima have grew size, any meaningful minutes from either of them is gravy.
I think one of them needs to distinguish herself - probably Tac.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Yes Dawn was about as active as she will ever be in the Portal and Kim Mulkey help her get it right.

We never pursued HVL but we did want Morrow. Thank God she went to LSU. She is a much better player than I gave her credit for. She is however an undersized 4 who knows she has to learn the 3 to make the W. Well that hasn’t happened. She would have made a crowded position here worse or would have really struggled at the 3.

We both thought Paopao was the perfect fit game and personality.

It was so weird to look at this team last May and to think this is actually could be a better team. Very different but better.

As to the Portal, who would you actually take? Iriafen if she approached us, how could you say no? Or Lauren Betts, that’s it.

I worry about our 2025 recruiting class for several reasons.
1. We are stacked
2. No local kids, in fact very very few from the Southeast. It’s a west coast class.
3. Brooks at UK, simply because there are 2 top 15 players from Kentucky that we have been pursuing.
Yeah, I may have mentioned similar concerns about the geographic distribution of the top high school players in the 2025 class. We were able to nationally recruit when we brought in the Freshies (internationally as well...Amihere is Canadian), but they were able to start from day 1. It's definitely easier to sell local kids on waiting their turn than players from out of the region.

KK Arnold posted this pic of her bedroom 6 or so years ago. Back when UConn used to win national championships.

1713368644579.png

How many young girls across the country have posters of Gamecock wbb on their walls? Dawn will be reaping the benefits of what she has sown for years to come. It may not be as early as 2025, though. We'll see.

uscphan

Joined Jan 27, 2001
Jan 24, 2022
If someone fits your culture and can help the team win, go for it. We have been super fortunate with injuries. That can’t last forever. If Tac and McDaniel are healthy, maybe we are going to go. Another productive big wouldn’t hurt though in my opinion.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Iriafen is listed as "Do Not Contact," so she would have to contact Coach Staley and say she wants to be a Gamecock. That's about the only way Iriafen coming here could happen. I doubt Dawn would recruit over current players (I mean Feagin and Watkins, primarily).

I think you make a good point that there are only a small possible number of elite 6'5" or over players we could face next season. We have Tac and Walker (or whoever replaces her) seems like enough of an insurance policy. Not to mention, yes we have to matchup with them, but they also have to matchup with us. Feagin and Watkins have a nice mid-range shot that opposing bigs will have to defend.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023

The people that are anxious about bringing in another big just don't understand what Feagin is and can be. Feagin has as much offensive potential as any big that we have had. Boston had a little bit more shooting range, but I think Feagin's touch is better around the basket and she has a good shot out to 15 feet. It is her attention to detail on defense that has kept her from significant playing time and she made great strides in that area. I think some want the super big post like we have had with Boston and Cardoso. However, 6-3 to 6-4 is more than big enough to be an effective post in the women's game especially if that player is athletic. To me it's Feagin's and Watkins' turn. The only bigs that would maybe improve us some are Iriafen and Beers and do you want to sacrifice chemistry for a small improvement on paper? I say pass on that. If anything, bring in a young wing that is willing to learn under Bree and be ready to play for the 25-26 season.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Unless Kiki Iriafen wants to be a Gamecock I think I'm fine with not getting anyone in the portal. Any other portal piece would be need to be for depth purposes only. We have enough talent amongst our forwards that we will have an advantage against 95% of teams even if we don't have a size advantage. Also worth remembering that Tac and Sakima have grew size, any meaningful minutes from either of them is gravy.
All good but what is Grew Size? I am not familiar with that terminology 😎😎

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Coach Yo's not only bringing in a whole new coaching staff but a new team as well.

I don't understand completely what she's doing. She only has Madison Scott for one more year, so maybe she feels Ole Miss has to breakthrough this upcoming season. 3rd in the SEC last year is pretty good, though. Seems extreme to blow it all up.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Coach Yo's not only bringing in a whole new coaching staff but a new team as well.

I don't understand completely what she's doing. She only has Madison Scott for one more year, so maybe she feels Ole Miss has to breakthrough this upcoming season. 3rd in the SEC last year is pretty good, though. Seems extreme to blow it all up.

Grab-bagging. Lots of people out there grab-bagging.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Mir McLean just entered the portal. Started at UConn then was at UVA for 2 years (I think).

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022

This account has nailed every transfer intel tweet she/he has posted so far. Interesting to see who else she is considering.

CockyGirl

Jan 31, 2022
Just when I thought Alabama was putting together a nice team with their returners and portal additions … ( still rumored that they are a contender for Poffenbarger)

Reactions: DarkCock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Christy Curry at Bama is somebody for the moment who is using the portal and also trying to recruit. They will have 5 fifth yr seniors this year, all from the portal; SAB, Loyal McQueen, Jessica Timmons, and Aliyah Nye all played for Bama last season and averaged double figures. They have brought in Zaay Green for next year 17ppg. They bring back 5 star Essence Cody and have signed Eris Lester#36 and Chloe Spreen who is just outside the top 💯
They will be a tough out next season
What a difference a day makes for Bama.

Possible Top 20 team, maybe even top 16. Top 6 players returning, a very good portal addition and 2 excellent recruits coming. Talent, size and depth.

Then…..

Asst coach Tubner goes to Rocky Top and immediately 2 committed starters go into the portal with do not contact provisions.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
And it’s hilarious to see the meltdown over on the LSU board bc they were convinced she was theirs.
They are convinced they are getting everyone they want just because of last years haul. I think all see how that turned out and are avoiding LSU now. It was a bit of a dumpster fire all year and Mulkey was bordering on losing her mind with that story that turned out to be nothing at all. I think they set themselves up for all this.

Latest posts