2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Please excuse my meandering

Possibly two of the best pure athletes in the Staley era are Doniyah Cliney and Laeticia Amihere. Their basketball skills never quite caught up or got in sync with their athleticism.

I believe you can make the case that Fulwiley, Watkins and even Raven are in that elite class, even surpassing them. Also as bigs are just a different animal, Cardoso was the most athletic post in the country.

Next year those 3 should hands down make the SEC all defensive team, but MAYBE one will.

This team and next year’s shoot very well, play D, run the court and are superbly conditioned. Everyone but Sakima could play 30-35 minutes if needed. They also have that I want to get better drive. Chloe has already been talking about I gotta hit the weights. Tessa has said I have to become a much better ball handler to progress my game.

I think you will see Chloe look much more chiseled next season. I believe you see TeHina, Tessa and Adhel lose significant weight/reshape their bodies in the offseason.

I don’t really care who went where in the Portal, especially in conference. We return a Final Four team and got Joyce, Maddie and Adhel.

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022
Please excuse my meandering

Possibly two of the best pure athletes in the Staley era are Doniyah Cliney and Laeticia Amihere. Their basketball skills never quite caught up or got in sync with their athleticism.

I believe you can make the case that Fulwiley, Watkins and even Raven are in that elite class, even surpassing them. Also as bigs are just a different animal, Cardoso was the most athletic post in the country.

Next year those 3 should hands down make the SEC all defensive team, but MAYBE one will.

This team and next year’s shoot very well, play D, run the court and are superbly conditioned. Everyone but Sakima could play 30-35 minutes if needed. They also have that I want to get better drive. Chloe has already been talking about I gotta hit the weights. Tessa has said I have to become a much better ball handler to progress my game.

I think you will see Chloe look much more chiseled next season. I believe you see TeHina, Tessa and Adhel lose significant weight/reshape their bodies in the offseason.

I don’t really care who went where in the Portal, especially in conference. We return a Final Four team and got Joyce, Maddie and Adhel.
My meandering reply:

"Next year those 3 should hands down make the SEC all defensive team, but MAYBE one will." Given their recent pub, I am thinking at least two make it and Watkins I would project is DPOY. The thing about Raven is that she seems to rise to the occasion against the best guards, like Clark. She gets a lot of rebounds for a point guard, but probably will not get the sheer number of rebounds and blocks some might look for, however.

"I believe you see TeHina, Tessa and Adhel lose significant weight/reshape their bodies in the offseason." I think Tessa had a head start on this during the season this year. IMHO, part of her progression was ramping up conditioning and maybe dropping a few lbs. Not a lot, but enough to make a difference. Would like to see TeHina work on her ball-handling skills and passing. Improvements in these areas might improve us 4-6 points in offense/defense differential. TBH, it got to the point (pun) that I was worried about who was running the team when Raven went out.

The Coast is Clear

Jan 25, 2022
My meandering reply:

"Next year those 3 should hands down make the SEC all defensive team, but MAYBE one will." Given their recent pub, I am thinking at least two make it and Watkins I would project is DPOY. The thing about Raven is that she seems to rise to the occasion against the best guards, like Clark. She gets a lot of rebounds for a point guard, but probably will not get the sheer number of rebounds and blocks some might look for, however.

"I believe you see TeHina, Tessa and Adhel lose significant weight/reshape their bodies in the offseason." I think Tessa had a head start on this during the season this year. IMHO, part of her progression was ramping up conditioning and maybe dropping a few lbs. Not a lot, but enough to make a difference. Would like to see TeHina work on her ball-handling skills and passing. Improvements in these areas might improve us 4-6 points in offense/defense differential. TBH, it got to the point (pun) that I was worried about who was running the team when Raven went out.
BTW, I checked the team stats to make sure I was at least close on PaoPao's turnovers. She was second on the team behind Fulwiliey. PaoPao also played the second most minutes behind Raven.

ONE OTHER VERY IMPORTANT STAT: Kamilla Carodoso led the team in three point field goal % at 100.00%. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: There was no official stat line for most broken hearted opponents but I'm pretty sure KC would have led that one, too.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Please explain this to me?? You are a fifth year player. You leave a top 20 team that has realistic chance to be top 16 and host. You go to a rebuilding 💩show at a program you would not even visit as a HS senior.

Nobody on this team would be in the top 7 at Bama except possibly Tessa Miller.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Please explain this to me?? You are a fifth year player. You leave a top 20 team that has realistic chance to be top 16 and host. You go to a rebuilding 💩show at a program you would not even visit as a HS senior.

Maybe she just wanted to play on State her senior year. Had to be a sweet NIL deal to boot. What is her WNBA possibility? 🤷‍♂️ This might be her cash in moment.

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022

She's always struck me as a player who wants to take a lot of shots. As Alabama gets better, they may want her to share the ball more. At Clemson, that won't be a problem.

Reactions: CockyGirl

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Maybe she just wanted to play on State her senior year. Had to be a sweet NIL deal to boot. What is her WNBA possibility? 🤷‍♂️ This might be her cash in moment.
Why waste money on a 5th year senior to play for a team that won't make the tournament? A young player could have gained experience. Part of the foundation of a team that could be good in 3 years.

I honestly think the reason is they don't want to lose to Carolina by 80 points. They have to put a somewhat competitive team on the floor this coming season.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Why waste money on a 5th year senior to play for a team that won't make the tournament? A young player could have gained experience. Part of the foundation of a team that could be good in 3 years.

I honestly think the reason is they don't want to lose to Carolina by 80 points. They have to put a somewhat competitive team on the floor this coming season.
They'll feel better only losing by 50.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Joyce is so good I really think she's a smaller but more fine tuned Amihere. She can guard 1-5 and she relentless at all times. Her motor is insane and she has great hands. She generally makes good decisions and can pass the ball pretty well too. Also she can lead a fast break with great handles for her size. If she can get more comfortable 15 ft and beyond then she would be league ready.
Good comparison. I've always maintained that Amihere is the only Gamecock basketball player--men or women--of whom it could be truly said she could guard 1 thru 5. Next year, we'll have TWO players on the roster who can guard 1 thru 5--Joyce and Watkins. Their ability to switch screens is going to give a dimension to the defense that will make it very effective, even if it might look different than what we've done in the past with bigger post players.

On the offensive end, she reminds me of A'ja. If the opposing team puts a bigger player on her, she'll use her athleticism and handle to beat them off the dribble. If they put a smaller player on her, she'll use her size to score over them.

In transition, however, especially from defense to offense, there is no former Gamecock player comparable. Not a big anyway. She handles the ball like a guard. And since she's beating the opposing teams' bigs down the floor, she usually finishes against smaller players.

I don't see how Edwards doesn't play 20 minutes or more a game this coming season. Watkins, at the very least, needs to play 20 minutes a game. Thankfully, they are both versatile enough to play the 4 or 5. That leaves 40 minutes a game to be distributed between Kitts, Feagin, Tac and Walker. I think for Chloe to play at the next level, she'll need to be versatile enough to be a 3 and a stretch 4. So maybe Kitts can get some minutes at the 3.

So, it makes sense why Jolette Law said we wouldn't be adding a player. An additional player would have a ripple effect on everyone's minutes. The challenge for Dawn is giving everyone enough minutes to keep this group together.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Watching Kitts training video lead me to the conclusion that she is improving her handle to play more on the wing. She has a beautiful shot and her ability to shoot opens up other opportunities for players to operate in the post.
Bree Hall does not have a true backup, so I think you will see some of the logjam get eased at her position. She will play 20-25 minutes a game with Tessa and Chloe splitting the other minutes

Last edited:

The Coast is Clear

Jan 25, 2022
Bree Hall does not have a true backup, so I think you will see some of the logjam get eased at her position. She will play 20-25 minutes a game with Tessa and Chloe splitting the other minutes
Tessa and Hall are both listed at 6' 0". Tessa's D improved over the year.

Kitts is listed at 6' 2". Can she guard the 3 position? Can she extend her shooting range a few more feet? I think she can extend her range. She has nice form already. Can she get stronger to bang at the 4 position? Like this year, her playing time might be significantly affected by matchups with the opposition.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Tessa and Hall are both listed at 6' 0". Tessa's D improved over the year.

Kitts is listed at 6' 2". Can she guard the 3 position? Can she extend her shooting range a few more feet? I think she can extend her range. She has nice form already. Can she get stronger to bang at the 4 position? Like this year, her playing time might be significantly affected by matchups with the opposition.
Tessa and Chloe look gangly and awkward defending on the perimeter. That said they still keep their feet moving and stay in front of who they are guarding. It’s not pretty but they understand D principles and angles. Both need to work on foot work and agility to improve.

Both need work with Molly; Tessa to reshape and Chloe strength. Both have already committed to improving ball handling. I think they can be good defenders on the perimeter unless we are playing a true 3 guard offense with very quick players

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
View attachment 563949
umm … maybe to have a chance at a Final Four in her final season, something that won’t happen if she flips to Tennessee. Vols fans, man. Still living like it’s 2008.
That is hilarious!! Tennessee poaches the Bama assistant and immediately 2 Bama starters go in the portal. And it looks like neither will go to Rocky Top🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Former Michigan standout Laila Phelia transfers to Texas - ESPN

Texas coming into the conference loaded for bear...
They continue to lose bigs, though.

Just hard to tell how any team is going to look until we can tally up all the comings and goings. Texas could land Beers. Or they could replace the exiting bigs with ones not quite as good as Beers. It seems like a lot of roster turnover to me either way. That's been an issue the entire time Vic's been at Texas.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022

Just hard to tell how any team is going to look until we can tally up all the comings and goings. Texas could land Beers. Or they could replace the exiting bigs with ones not quite as good as Beers. It seems like a lot of roster turnover to me either way. That's been an issue the entire time Vic's been at Texas.

Read somewhere that Barker was a potential portal target for Texas also but I just can't see a player that emotionally volatile and Vic making it work

Last edited:

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Vic has earned a reputation as a very difficult coach to play for and as not being a supportive coach. Close friend who has been in college athletics for almost 40 years says Mulkey and Schaefer are the two worst human beings in college WBB

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Last edited:

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022

I'm not mad at these group of guards, they could be of actual need instead of getting big names like last year. But Gilbert leaving Arizona due to bad culture to go to LSU is a choice.

It also confirms to me that LSU is never going to let Aneesah play the 3 to expand her game in preparation for the the WNBA.
AZ losing Gilbert was a plus for that team, she is and was a problem for chemistry, she is on record saying defense is not her thing….notice AZ got better when she left.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

I'm not mad at these group of guards, they could be of actual need instead of getting big names like last year. But Gilbert leaving Arizona due to bad culture to go to LSU is a choice.

It also confirms to me that LSU is never going to let Aneesah play the 3 to expand her game in preparation for the the WNBA.
It’s a big day for LSU, but they did not get better than us. Gilbert was the bad culture at Arizona. Team improved as soon as she left.

Williams 32 mpg and Johnson 34 mpg are locked in at starters at the 2&3. That leaves Gilbert(28 minutes per game), Sheppard 20mpg Day-Wilson 30mpg, Poa 20 mpg, Wolfenbarger, and freshman Jada Richards for PG and backing up the 2&3. 5 players competing for PG with Wolfenbarger still there in the mix.

Everyone losing playing time within a culture thats not known for sharing. Can’t wait to see how that works out.

Also cue up the excuse machine…. So many new players and Smith coming back from injury….. it’s vital we play an easy OOC to learn who we at blah blah blah

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Portal difference between DS and Kim

Over the last six years(including this cycle) we have brought in ONLY 4 players. (LSU brought in 4 this cycle and may not be through.)They all knew their role and place in the pecking order before they set foot on campus

Destiny Littleton
came in knowing she needed surgery and would sit a whole year to rehab. It was a new start for her and she would be backing up Zia. Was recruited by DS out of HS

Kamillia Cardoso
Was leaving a💩show at Syracuse where 12 players left. She came knowing Boston was the cheese and she was the backup. Get developed for the future and be reunited with good friend Raven. Was recruited by us out of HS

Kierra Fletcher
Was brought in to play PG for one season. Role was to play but also be place holder, emergency policy, and mentor for Raven. Not recruited by us out of HS

TeHina Paopao
She played PG at Oregon with the program becoming a 💩show. We had desperate need for SG. Was told that was her position and that she would back up the PG in sub rotation. Was directly told before she even got to campus, get in better shape and be prepared to defend. Not recruited by us out of HS

Compare this to Mulkey. Now granted Mulkey had a depleted roster and was in total scramble mode to bring in talent.

Ladhazia Williams
Absolute success. Knew her role, and yes she was a Gamecock

Angel Reese
Absolute Success on the court but…..well there is all the other stuff and her game did not expand while there.

Alexis Morris
Big Success but not developed as a PG to make a WNBA roster. Does not have nice things to say, nor does Kateri Poole or Jasmine Carson

Kateri Poole
Need I say more

Ajae Petty
On the team when Mulkey arrived, got recruited over 2 years in a row and left. Never got developed at LSU. 16 and 10 this past season

Hannah Gusters
followed Mulkey from Baylor to be the star post player. Little used backup at LSU who got recruited over by LaDhazia and Angel. Never got developed. Transferred to OK State 15 and 5 this past year and in the portal

Esmery Martinez
Recruited out of WVU to come and be starting PF at LSU and bring your good buddy Jasmine Carson with you….OOPS we just signed Angel Reese. Never even made it on campus went to Arizona and was successful there.

Aneesah Morrow
Come here and be a part of a super team. I PROMISE you will play the 3 and we will develop you for that position in the WNBA. Great player but need I say more.

HVL
Honey of course you are already a great PG. We will make you an EVEN better PG. Be a part of a super team, win a national title and be a first round draft pick.🤦‍♂️

With the 3 she has just brought in at guard. They are all pitted against each other and Last Tear Poa AND Fr. Jada Richards to find the PG they need so badly. The 4 losers of that competition will be fighting for scraps of playing time, because the 2&3 are locked up by Johnson and Williams.

I think it is kind to say Mulkey over promises. But more accurately is duplicitous and does not have a good track record of developing talent past where they are when they arrive.

Last edited:

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Portal difference between DS and Kim

Over the last six years(including this cycle) we have brought in ONLY 4 players. (LSU brought in 4 this cycle and may not be through.)They all knew their role and place in the pecking order before they set foot on campus

Destiny Littleton
came in knowing she needed surgery and would sit a whole year to rehab. It was a new start for her and she would be backing up Zia. Was recruited by DS out of HS

Kamillia Cardoso
Was leaving a💩show at Syracuse where 12 players left. She came knowing Boston was the cheese and she was the backup. Get developed for the future and be reunited with good friend Raven. Was recruited by us out of HS

Kierra Fletcher
Was brought in to play PG for one season. Role was to play but also be place holder, emergency policy, and mentor for Raven. Not recruited by us out of HS

TeHina Paopao
She played PG at Oregon with the program becoming a 💩show. We had desperate need for SG. Was told that was her position and that she would back up the PG in sub rotation. Was directly told before she even got to campus, get in better shape and be prepared to defend. Not recruited by us out of HS

Compare this to Mulkey. Now granted Mulkey had a depleted roster and was in total scramble mode to bring in talent.

Ladhazia Williams
Absolute success. Knew her role, and yes she was a Gamecock

Angel Reese
Absolute Success on the court but…..well there is all the other stuff and her game did not expand while there.

Alexis Morris
Big Success but not developed as a PG to make a WNBA roster. Does not have nice things to say, nor does Kateri Poole or Jasmine Carson

Kateri Poole
Need I say more

Ajae Petty
On the team when Mulkey arrived, got recruited over 2 years in a row and left. Never got developed at LSU. 16 and 10 this past season

Hannah Gusters
followed Mulkey from Baylor to be the star post player. Little used backup at LSU who got recruited over by LaDhazia and Angel. Never got developed. Transferred to OK State 15 and 5 this past year and in the portal

Esmery Martinez
Recruited out of WVU to come and be starting PF at LSU and bring your good buddy Jasmine Carson with you….OOPS we just signed Angel Reese. Never even made it on campus went to Arizona and was successful there.

Aneesah Morrow
Come here and be a part of a super team. I PROMISE you will play the 3 and we will develop you for that position in the WNBA. Great player but need I say more.

HVL
Honey of course you are already a great PG. We will make you an EVEN better PG. Be a part of a super team, win a national title and be a first round draft pick.🤦‍♂️

With the 3 she has just brought in at guard. They are all pitted against each other and Last Tear Poa AND Fr. Jada Richards to find the PG they need so badly. The 4 losers of that competition will be fighting for scraps of playing time, because the 2&3 are locked up by Johnson and Williams.

I think it is kind to say Mulkey over promises. But more accurately is duplicitous and does not have a good track record of developing talent past where they are when they arrive.
Will be interesting if she changes her tune this year and actually plays her bench more in blowouts. And why do Amani Bartlett and Izzy Besseman stick around?

Reactions: cockyclt and Goody

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Will be interesting if she changes her tune this year and actually plays her bench more in blowouts. And why do Amani Bartlett and Izzy Besseman stick around?
Besselman is a walkon, she is just enjoying the ride. Bartlett, would probably need to go down several levels to be able to play

Reactions: CockyGirl