2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I read a post by a Maryland fan who was discussing their upcoming season and he stated that the Terps will not play us or UConn. I have no idea if that's correct, just passing along what I read.
This is from Wellbaum’s article on scheduling

“The contract with Maryland expired after last season’s game, but both coaches indicated the series will continue.”

Not sure what to think. We are 6-1 vs UMD. This also included an NCAA Tournament game. The last 2 regular season games have been blowouts. I could see Frese being tired of banging heads with us. They schedule fairly tough and this series has run for 7 years(we skipped playing in 20-21 due to Covid)

In other news, it appears UK and taters have each added a player yet to be announced

Addendum
Hey Kim Mulkey this is what an OOC schedule looks like…… So far 8 games vs P5 schools. Clemson is lowest ranked from last year at #84. East Carolina #104 and Bowling Green #151. Not 7 teams ranked #276 or lower and another 2 in the 200’s

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Having heard nothing on Sakima Walker, I assume she did not enter the portal?? If that is the case, she is either out of basketball for next year or a Gamecock? Would that be correct?

Edit: If she is back, I am pleased with that outcome.
Another poster said she considering playing overseas, so I guess that's still on the table until she announces her return officially. Not adding anyone in the portal would make it more likely she stays, I think.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
This is from Wellbaum’s article on scheduling

“The contract with Maryland expired after last season’s game, but both coaches indicated the series will continue.”

Not sure what to think. We are 6-1 vs UMD. This also included an NCAA Tournament game. The last 2 regular season games have been blowouts. I could see Frese being tired of banging heads with us. They schedule fairly tough and this series has run for 7 years(we skipped playing in 20-21 due to Covid)

In other news, it appears UK and taters have each added a player yet to be announced

Addendum
Hey Kim Mulkey this is what an OOC schedule looks like…… So far 8 games vs P5 schools. Clemson is lowest ranked from last year at #84. East Carolina #104 and Bowling Green #151. Not 7 teams ranked #276 or lower and another 2 in the 200’s
Honestly I can't blame Brenda for choosing to end our series. They have been a good sport about playing us. Considering Maryland barely made it to the tournament and LSU gets rewarded for their schedule, I can't blame any coach on the hot seat for changing it up if true. If Kelly Harper scheduled like Mulkey she would be still employed right now. Personally I still have a feeling the series will continue though.

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022
Another poster said she considering playing overseas, so I guess that's still on the table until she announces her return officially. Not adding anyone in the portal would make it more likely she stays, I think.
Possibly overseas, yes. When I said out of basketball, I should have said out of college basketball. That's what I meant.

Reactions: DarkCock

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
Possibly overseas, yes. When I said out of basketball, I should have said out of college basketball. That's what I meant.
I would like to hear thoughts on Sakima. She seems to be a hustler and a good teammate. I also thought she fought very hard on defense although she didn’t have any blocks that I remember but seemed to really play hard in her low post defense.

She seemed to struggle a bit with her coordination a bit and not receiving passes well. It would be nice if Dawn and the other coaches could have a program for her to improve her game a bit.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Tillman tech has put it out on social media that they are in Charlie Crème’s Bracketology. They even include the part about last 4 in the field. They are aggressively selling to the faithful. Selling Culture, winning and themselves personally. It’s an in your face car salesman aggressiveness. I’m not sure if they are trying to convince us or themselves. They are very impressed with themselves.
It is intriguing to watch.

“Every player we brought in is a winner and came from a winning program”

"When you come watch us and you're around our program, you will feel 'it,'" Poppie said at his introductory news conference. "If we feel 'it' — how are we loving on each other, what’s our energy level, are we competing, are we doing the things that it takes to win games? — the results will take care of themselves."

“Honest!” Poppie followed up. “It’s back to relationships, honest conversation. We might not have it all, though we do have pretty much everything. It’s the opportunity ... we want you to have two feet and a heart all in to what we’re trying to do here. When that happens it means you’re halfway into meeting us halfway. Our philosophy is they have to have the right intent, the right purpose and the same for us.”

They have done pretty well in the portal, bringing in 6 for a very depleted roster. Five are from mid majors with Tessa Miller and Summah(she’s Australian) Evans being instant starters. All five I believe played for one of the staff at some point. The only P5 player is Dis Loyal McQueen. They are a team that would be favored to win the SoCon but I’m dubious about how their talent stacks up against an 18 game ACC Schedule plus at least 2 SEC games.

The problem with their roster is they have 8 seniors and will return only 2 players that will contribute after this year. They will need to sign another 5-6 portal players next year and they have already mined the good players in their sphere. And they also need to bring in 3-4 good HS Players so that they can begin a roster not in constant turmoil.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Has ClemTech hyped WBB at all since 2005 and Jim Davis?
Poppie has a long way to go and has to start the ball rolling.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I would like to hear thoughts on Sakima. She seems to be a hustler and a good teammate. I also thought she fought very hard on defense although she didn’t have any blocks that I remember but seemed to really play hard in her low post defense.

She seemed to struggle a bit with her coordination a bit and not receiving passes well. It would be nice if Dawn and the other coaches could have a program for her to improve her game a bit.
She had a poor game against Tennessee in the SEC tournament and Dawn seemed to lose confidence in her. And I get why. She turned the ball twice in under a minute. Sometimes she tries to do too much offensively imo. I understand that she gets limited playing time and wants to show what she can do. I also believe Dawn encourages bench players to be aggressive. Just think about Lele, Amihere, Fulwiley. Jah was almost comical; she had a usage rate that was close to Caitlin Clark's. lol. I would prefer if Walker just concentrated on providing rim protection, which, as you pointed out, she's good at. We have enough offense around her that we don't need her to score points beyond layups. Also, she could improve her rebounding.

Sounds like a lot of negatives, but I think she could be a contributing player if she focused on finding her role. When we play a team like UCLA with Lauren Betts, Walker becomes a valuable asset.

Additionally, from what I can tell, she's a very positive teammate, so that's intangible in her favor.

Dreaus

Sep 10, 2022
She had a poor game against Tennessee in the SEC tournament and Dawn seemed to lose confidence in her. And I get why. She turned the ball twice in under a minute. Sometimes she tries to do too much offensively imo. I understand that she gets limited playing time and wants to show what she can do. I also believe Dawn encourages bench players to be aggressive. Just think about Lele, Amihere, Fulwiley. Jah was almost comical; she had a usage rate that was close to Caitlin Clark's. lol. I would prefer if Walker just concentrated on providing rim protection, which, as you pointed out, she's good at. We have enough offense around her that we don't need her to score points beyond layups. Also, she could improve her rebounding.

Sounds like a lot of negatives, but I think she could be a contributing player if she focused on finding her role. When we play a team like UCLA with Lauren Betts, Walker becomes a valuable asset.

Additionally, from what I can tell, she's a very positive teammate, so that's intangible in her favor.
I believe a full summer of workouts will Body By Binette will show vast improvement in her footwork. She has the size, but her lateral movement is not there.

Reactions: DarkCock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Truly Joyce is an amazing athlete. Now that I know she is an excellent HS soccer player it helps explains a lot. Her balance, footwork and anticipation on the court are so advanced especially for a non guard.

I assume you are worried about injury. I’d prefer we bubble wrap her until she gets on campus but you can’t do that. 🤣🤣🤣

Who was the last Gamecock WBB post player who was an excellent HS soccer player? If you know, you know.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Give us a hint!

Joyce took her basketball and volleyball teams to state. Let’s she if she can do it with soccer too! They play in the lower state finals next week.
I'm assuming she's only played since basketball season ended based on Camden's results from earlier this season. She's a difference maker.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
Truly Joyce is an amazing athlete. Now that I know she is an excellent HS soccer player it helps explains a lot. Her balance, footwork and anticipation on the court are so advanced especially for a non guard.

I assume you are worried about injury. I’d prefer we bubble wrap her until she gets on campus but you can’t do that. 🤣🤣🤣

Who was the last Gamecock WBB post player who was an excellent HS soccer player? If you know, you know.
Cardoso could have probably been a pretty good HS player!!! She played soccer in her pre basketball days as well as volleyball and swimming/diving. A really good athlete, especially given her height....

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
It evidently has some bugs in it. There will be serious malfunctions in more critical areas as well, I would suppose.

AI stands for Artificial Intelligence. The definition of "Artificial" is something made or produced by human beings, as opposed to something occurring naturally. And to err is to be human, so the very nature of AI is to be error-prone.......

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
AI stands for Artificial Intelligence. The definition of "Artificial" is something made or produced by human beings, as opposed to something occurring naturally. And to err is to be human, so the very nature of AI is to be error-prone.......
Which calls into question the advisability of placing heavy dependency on it in critical applications, as some seem determined to do.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Anyone need a dissertation for a PhD? Going to school now is sssooo much easier than when I was in school. We had to use the library to get research done. I think I could breeze thru now.

The way things are now, I could've stayed at home in my bedroom at my folks home in Greer and got my degree from Carolina without having had to move to Columbia. Boy this generation thinks they have it tough...ugh...

Reactions: PFUNK Cock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Monster weekend in the portal for ND
Liza Karlen and Liatu King both forwards and big scorers.
Clear favorites for ACC and serious FF contender. I don’t see how ACC/SEC Challenge can pass up a matchup with the Gamecocks

UK had a big week also.
Dazia Lawrence and Jordan Obi. Two very good players from mid majors. Previously I did not think UK had enough to make the NCAA’s they do now.

Clemson also signed Raven Thompson. She was Chattanooga’s leading scorer. Tiger’s have a roster that should be able to compete with most all teams on their schedule. Victories are a different matter. A definite NIT team and with a Mulkey OOC schedule and some tight close wins in conference maybe….

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Monster weekend in the portal for ND
Liza Karlen and Liatu King both forwards and big scorers.
Clear favorites for ACC and serious FF contender. I don’t see how ACC/SEC Challenge can pass up a matchup with the Gamecocks

UK had a big week also.
Dazia Lawrence and Jordan Obi. Two very good players from mid majors. Previously I did not think UK had enough to make the NCAA’s they do now.

Clemson also signed Raven Thompson. She was Chattanooga’s leading scorer. Tiger’s have a roster that should be able to compete with most all teams on their schedule. Victories are a different matter. A definite NIT team and with a Mulkey OOC schedule and some tight close wins in conference maybe….
obvs would be a great game, but both SC and Notre Dame played on the road in last years' SEC/ACC challenge so If scheduled, one team would have to play a road game for it in back to back years. for that reason, it's doubtful that match-up happens, unless CDS doesn't care about the venue (don't see Ivey wanting to play us in Columbia - just my opinion)

Reactions: winloseortie

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
obvs would be a great game, but both SC and Notre Dame played on the road in last years' SEC/ACC challenge so If scheduled, one team would have to play a road game for it in back to back years. for that reason, it's doubtful that match-up happens, unless CDS doesn't care about the venue (don't see Ivey wanting to play us in Columbia - just my opinion)
I think we ought to play at home if they want the defending national champions and presumptive 2025 front running contender to participate. Time to use some leverage.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Umm, guys the matchups are decided by the conferences SEC and ACC and ESPN. It’s a negotiation we don’t get to mandate anything, get off your high horse. Also realize that coach Staley would be ecstatic to play them at the CLA or in South Bend. The point is to play them, you want to beat them, but maybe even more importantly get the measure of them for March.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Umm, guys the matchups are decided by the conferences SEC and ACC and ESPN. It’s a negotiation we don’t get to mandate anything, get off your high horse. Also realize that coach Staley would be ecstatic to play them at the CLA or in South Bend. The point is to play them, you want to beat them, but maybe even more importantly get the measure of them for March.
The SEC should advocate for us. That's allowed, isn't it?

I should interject that I hate ND, and I want to beat them unmercifully, unrelentingly. Ergo, I want to play them in Columbia.

Latest posts