2024 NCAA Championship Session I Thread

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
He lost why not give the uva guy credit. He can battle back on consis.
That's well and good but it was a very uninspired effort against a #23 seed.

Not a ton of bashing of the kid, he just didn't wrestle well.

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021
#1 seed Braeden Davis vs. #33 seed Tristan Lujan (MSU) -- I'll use TL

Per 1
Nothing much thru 1. Davis in on a head inside single, and after a battle he gets the TD, 3-0. Davis with a nice ride going. TL to his feet, but they go OOB with 21 sec. left. TL to he feet, but time ends. RT @ 1:07 for Davis

Per 2
Davis takes bottom. He's sits out, reaches back for the head and is out quickly, 4-0. A lot of ear-to-ear. Davis in on a single, they scramble, and Davis gets the TD, 7-0. TL works to his feet, a stall warning on Davis just before the end of the period. RT @ 1:38 for Davis

Per 3
TL takes bottom. TL with a roll and nearly caught, but nothing. TL to his feet, and Davis basically cuts him, 7-1. RT @ 2:01 for Davis. TL reaches, Davis sprawls, nothing. 1 min left. End. With 2:01 in RT, it's an 8-1 DEC for Braeden Davis
Looks like his fingers bothering him.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I thought he was maybe flicking blood away at first but yeah, something to keep an eye on.

He as definitely concerned about something after the first. It was when Lujan was trying to pry his hands off for an escape.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
141: Beau Bartlett vs. Kal Miller (MD) -- I'll use KM

Per 1:
I missed the first 1:30 due to the Braeden Davis match. Looks like a video review on whether KM got a TD (not awarded in real time). Come on review guys -- Kasak is up next on Mat 3. Call is confirmed: no TD. 0-0. Under 1 left. Beau in on a single, they scramble, but time runs out.

Per 2
Bartlett takes bottom. Caution on KM. Bartlett to his feet, but they go OOB with 1:47 left. Beau works up again, and finally gets out, 1-0. KM with 43 sec of RT. Back to ear-to-ear. End RT @ 43 sec for KM

Per 3
KM takes bottom. Beau riding well. And then KM gets out, 1-1. RT down to 14 sec for KM, so it's not a factor. Stoppage for PD. Beau in on a double, they scramble, KM holding on to a leg, quite a scramble, and Beau is awarded the TD and then 2 NF just at the end of the match. 6-1 DEC for Beau

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Bartlett will face No. 15 Mitch Moore of Rutgers in the second round. They did not meet in the dual meet. Moore upset Cole Matthews of Pitt 7-2.

LightningBoltz

Oct 31, 2021
I would have preferred to not see the aggressive Beau that beat Woods and Mendez in the regular season. At least then my expectations would be managed.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Or his run last year was a perfect storm and he is not really on that level.
could be... to me he just starts so slow and cautious he always gets behind and has to play catch up every match. It's a hard way to wrestle and puts a ton of pressure on you for period 2/3. To me (playing armchair qb) he should throw caution to the wind and come out firing and see what happens because right now it isn't working for him.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
could be... to me he just starts so slow and cautious he always gets behind and has to play catch up every match. It's a hard way to wrestle and puts a ton of pressure on you for period 2/3. To me (playing armchair qb) he should throw caution to the wind and come out firing and see what happens because right now it isn't working for him.
In these early rounds he should be firing and I’m sure Cael will say something.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Absolutely ridiculous that Kasak rode him in the third for that long and even after being yelled at to cut him he just wouldn't do it. What a weird match and 100% on Tyler there for not just cutting him right away in the third. Wow.

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
Just cannot finish takedowns today. Very slow start. Except for Levi.

Tyler had an early takedown and missed it.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
149: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #26 seed Jaden Abas (Stanford) -- I'll use JA

Per 1
Kasak in quickly on a low single, they scramble, nothing awarded, Kasak is trying to free his leg, they keep scrambling, and a stalemate with 1:57 left. Damn, I thought he was going to get it. Kasak in but they are OOB. Ironhead is giving a life history on JA, instead of doing PBP. End

Per 2
Kasak takes bottom. He's out quickly, 1-0. JA in on a single, he elevates Kasak's leg and has him dancing, Kasak gets the leg free, then JA with a double for the TD, 1-3. End RT @ 6 sec for JA

Per 3
JA takes bottom. Kasak with a good ride, and gets RT in his direction. He cuts JA, 1-4. 1 min left. Kasak in on a single, has JA dancing, they are on the edge, and OOB with 23 sec left. Kasak chasing him, and JA is fleeing, and gets hit with stall calls (1 point) but time runs out. JA with a 2-4 DEC over Tyler Kasak.

That was not an outcome I was expecting

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Wow, not looking good for records. Kazakhstan to Consi, Stanford kids stayed away.

Latest posts