2024 NCAA Championship Session I Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165: #2 seed Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #31 seed Maxx Mayfield (NW) -- I'll use MM

Per 1
Mesenbrink with a TD, 3-0. MM with an esc, 3-1. Stoppage for something -- not sure what it is. Mesenbrink in on a single, they scramble, and Mesenbrink finally gets the TD, 6-1. MM is out, 6-2. Stall warning on MM. Mesenbrink shoots, and he gets the TD, 9-2. End. RT @ 1:54 for Mesenbrink

Per 2
Mesenbrink takes bottom. Mesenbrink with the quick esc (3 sec), 10-2. Stall call on MM (his 2nd) makes it 11-2. Another stall call on MM makes it 12-2. Mesenbrink with a TD on the edge makes it 15-2. OOT with 16 sec left. End. RT @ 2:14 for Mesenbrink

Per 3
MM takes neutral. MM in on a single, he elevates, they scramble, and Mesenbrink gets the TD, 18-2, TF@ 5:32!!!

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
174 pounds Carter Starocci vs. Andrew Sparks, Minn

First period
Sparks countered and got Starocci's injured right knee in a weird spot and he gave up the takedown. Starocci quickly escapes to 3-1 after giving up his first takedown of the season and then takesdown Sparks and throws him to his back. He tightens up on the left edge as he drives in, readjust,, chest-to-chest, trying to finish the fall, and settles in on the right side for what is ultimately an 8-3 leads (three takedown, four nearfall).

Second period
Sparks takes neutral. He counters a Sparks shot with one of his own for an 11-3 lead. Sparks escapes to 11-4. Period ends there

Third period
Sparks is down. He escapes to 11-5 with roughly a minute left. Starocci was called for stalling twice. But he has 2:36 in RT to win 12-6.

Starocci d. Sparks, 12-6

165 pounds: Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. No. 31 Maxx Mayfield, Northwestern

First period
Mesenbrink gets a takedown and Mayfield escapes to 3-1. Mesenbrink eventually gets another takedown for a 6-1 lead. Mayfield escapes to 6-2. Stalling on Mayfield. Mesenbrink shoots and scores for a 9-2 lead. 1:54 in RT for him after one.

Second period
Mesenbrink escapes to 10-2. Mayfield with stalling to 11-2. Stalling again on Mayfield. Then, a Mesenbrink takedown. 15-2 now. Mayfield gets in on a shot but Mesenbrink broke the hold and got a counter takedown to win by technical fall, 18-2, in 5:32.

Mesenbrink d. Mayfield 18-2, 5:32

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Here's how I view Starocci's bout: You own a Ferrari and take it to the local drag strip. There are Porsches, Lambos, etc. there, but in your first race you draw a Ford Pinto. Are you REALLY going to open up your Ferrari's potential in that race, or leave a little something hidden for future opponents?

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Carter gave up that TD but it looked like he didn't want any part of a scramble because he knew he would dominate. If that's against Mekhi I think he fights through that. He definitely looked like he was fine wrestling at 50% there for the win and I think that's a good move on his part.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Here's how I view Starocci's bout: You own a Ferrari and take it to the local drag strip. There are Porsches, Lambos, etc. there, but in your first race you draw a Ford Pinto. Are you REALLY going to open up your Ferrari's potential in that race, or leave a little something hidden for future opponents?
Thought he wrestled like he was protecting the knee

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@GregPickel -- it looks like Truax will be up before Brooks. So, I'll cover that match. Be prepared to cover Brooks, as Truax's match probably won't end before Brooks' match starts

Reactions: GregPickel

LifeLongLion

Oct 6, 2021
Patrick Kennedy (Iowa) falls in R1 from a late TD from the UNC wrestler
Fist Pump Winning GIF by Big Brother Australia

Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

crwatso

Nov 2, 2021
From that video sequence -- not at all. I was watching the Mesenbrink match for PBP, so I wasn't focused on CStar, and thus can't speak to anything beyond the video clip
yeah it was after that clip for like 15-20 seconds of pinning it looked

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #27 seed Cameron Pine (Clarion) -- I'll use CP

Per 1
Truax with a quick single for the TD, 3-0. He tilts him, but CP rolls through and they go OOB. 3 NF on the tilt makes it 6-0. CP is to his feet and out, 6-1. Truax with a low single/ankle pick and gets behind for the TD, 9-1. He throws in a boot. After a bit, he get CP flattened. Stall warning on CP. End. RT @ 2:40 for Truax

Per 2
CP takes neutral. Truax shoots off the whistle, nothing. Truax in on a single, a bit of a scramble, CP with a split, Truax is working, and gets the TD, 12-1. CP to his feet but they go OOB with 53 sec left. Stoppage for blood on CP. After the restart, a challenge brick thrown by Clarion. I think they are checking for an illegal hold. It is an illegal hold, so it's 12-2. CP up and gets the esc, 12-3. Truax shoots again and gets the TD, 15-3. OOB with 7 sec left. CP to his feet, returned. End. RT @ 3:28 for Truax

Per 3
Truax takes neutral. Truax in on a double and gets the TD for an 18-3 TF @ 5:09!!!!