2024 NCAA Championship Session II Thread

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
MM in on a quick shot, can't finish and OOB. Casella in, scramble to a SM. MM off the whistle with a TD and riding tough. 3-0.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165 Championship R2:
#2 seed Mitchell Messenbrink vs. #15 seed Brevin Castella (Binghampton) -- I'll use BC for him

Looks like ESPN will take an ad break just as the match starts. smh

Per 1
Mesenbrink in on a single, they scramble, close, but they go OOB. BC in on a shot, Mesenbrink over the shoulders and grabs both ankles, they scramble, Mesenbrink frees 1 leg, but a stalemate with 1:56 left. Double by Mesenbrink for the TD, 3-0. After a bit Mesenbrink flattens him. He cuts him, 3-1. OOB on a shot by Mesenbrink. BC shoots and has a leg, they scramble, and a stalemate with 41 sec left. Mesenbrink in on a single, gets the other leg and the TD, 6-1. OOB with 17 sec left. End. RT @ 1:07 for Mesenbrink

Per 2
Mesenbrink takes bottom. Mesenbrink sits out, and he turns to get the reversal, 8-1. He flattens BC. He cuts him, 8-2. Mesenbrink with another TD, 11-2. He cuts him, 11-3. Mesenbrink shoots, but they go OOB. BC in on a single, Mesenbrink hips over but they are OOB with 18 sec left. Stall warning on BC. End. RT @ 1:27 for Mesenbrink

Per 3
BC takes top. Mesenbrink trying to work another reversal, BC holding on, and stoppage for PD, with 1:42 left. Mesenbrink sits out. BC gets a leg in. Mesenbrink trying for a reversal but doesn't have space. Stalemate, with 33 sec left. RT under 1 minute so not a factor. Mesenbrink grabs a leg, and tries to turn in, they scramble, but the buzzer sounds. 11-3 MAJ for Mesenbrink

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
174: Carter Starocci vs. No. 8 Adam Kemp, Cal Poly

First period
Kemp shoots quickly and gets the first takedown of the match for a 3-0 lead. Immediately throws legs in on Starocci's right leg right on his knee. Starocci is out though to 3-1 at the 2:23 mark. Starocci is in on a single that he converts into a double on the edge and gets the takedown there for a 4-3 lead with 1:16 left to wrestle in the first period. Starocci starts a ride with legs in looking for a turning combination. He cannot get one before the period ends.

Second period
Starocci is out in seven seconds to 5-3. The period ends with no further scoring.

Third period
They start the third period neutral. Stall warning on Kemp. Kemp shoots on a double but Starocci catches him with underhooks and they scramble with Starocci getting a front headlock in and they call a stalemate. Starocci called for stall warning but it doesn't matter. He wins, 5-3.

Starocci d. Kemp, 5-3

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I am not sure this version of Carter can win but he is at least giving it everything
Best thing is, he can get a good night sleep before facing Lewis so he will be as fresh as can be , Lewis won 5-2 over 15 seed.

Reactions: ScottHHHH

[email protected]

Nov 16, 2023
Jeff missed two thirds of Carter's match and then didn't have the correct period when he found it. I say this every year: Jeff needs a spotter with him for tournaments so that he doesn't miss so much of the action!

Reactions: Brother3

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Carter will hold on for a 5-3 win there. So far Carter looks like he hasn't really tested the leg and kind of on cruise control. I am hoping he is just doing enough to win so he at his best for Mekhi tomorrow.

I am not sure this version of Carter can win but he is at least giving it everything

He doesn't seem to be his complete self. He's given up a TD in each match today (the 1st 2 TDs he gave up all season). He's smart, and a great wrestler. Before the injury, I would have had him a strong favorite to beat Lewis. Tomorrow's Quarter will be interesting. The Starocci we saw today would probably be a pick'em against Lewis. Here's hoping he can get the win in the quarterfinal.

Last edited:

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
He doesn't seem to be his complete self. He's given up a TD in each match today (the 1st 2 TDs he gave up all season). He's smart, and a great wrestler. Before the injury, I would have had him strong favorite to beat Lewis. Tomorrow's Quarter will be interesting. The Starocci we saw today would probably be a pick'em against Lewis. Here's hoping he can get the win in the morning match.

I think it's pretty clear that Cael made the right move two weeks ago at the B1G. He says he is 100% but he isn't wrestling like he is 100%. It's going to be a nail biter tomorrow against Lewis.