2024 NCAA Wrestling Transfer Portal thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Interesting saga.

He redshirts as a true freshman

As a redshirt freshman, wrestling 141, he qualified for Nationals, where he went 0-2

As a redshirt sophomore, wrestling 141, he qualified for Nationals, where he went 0-2

As a redshirt junior, wrestling 133, he only lost 2 times in the regular season (Daton Fix and Michael McGee), and looked to be in good shape to place at Nationals. Alas, he got got hurt at the EIWA Championships, and couldn't continue in them, or go to NCAAs

As a redshirt senior, he looked to be one of the top guys in the country @ 133. He wrestled in the NWCA All-Star Classic, and defeated Sam Latona of VT. However, he lost in a wrestle-off at Lehigh to Ryan Crookham, 6-3, SV-1, so he was replaced by Crookham in the Lehigh lineup (Crookham finished 3rd at NCAAs).

So with Crookham blocking his path at Lehigh, McGonagle elected to transfer. And he picked VT, where I believe Sam Latona still has a year of eligibility left (rumors that he's moving up to 141)

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
"Saw their program lacked real growth" = he followed Snyder. Not that I blame him. It was the right decision.

In any case, why say Gibson isn't Lion material? There could be many reasons for him to flip. Just take the high road and wish him well.
No. I say what I want. If we all had the same opinions and uses of free speech, everything would come down to looks, and, thusly, not end well for you. #RunningFromAFightAGibson

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Gibson running from a fight…. Not Lion material
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Isn’t this the kid Cochran man handled while being grossly undersized? Title contender? That’s some major optimism there from RU.
I think it's somewhat fair despite that outcome yes. He is a returning All-American, after all. Kerkvliet and Hendrickson are the class of the weight (assuming the former comes back) but if you were listing off the five title contenders at 285 Slavikouski is probably on it.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
So, it appears that service academy graduates can delay their military obligation.
That's right. It is allowed as part of a bill that was passed in 2023. This is talking football, not continued college competition, but some details here:

Latest posts