2024 Phillies Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Pitchers and Catchers report in a few weeks, so it's time to start the 202r Phillies thread. Please use this thread for all discussions concerning the Philadelphia Phillies for the remaining offseason, spring training, regular season, hopefully the MLB playoffs, and then the offseason.

We had a great thread for the 2023 Phillies, as we followed in their quest to return to the World Series. You can access that thread at:

Last edited:

Colt2169

Dec 13, 2021
Anyone going to any games in Clearwater ? We’ll be there for a game or two in late March

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
Pitchers and Catchers report in a few weeks, so it's time to start the 202r Phillies thread. Please use this thread for all discussions concerning the Philadelphia Phillies for the remaining offseason, spring training, regular season, hopefully the MLB playoffs, and then the offseason.

We had a great thread for the 2023 Phillies, as we followed in their quest to return to the World Series. You can access that thread at:

Having Bryce for the whole season will be a big help but Turner seriously needs to cut down on errors. Stott should be playing short and Turner 2nd base but that's not going to happen.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021

These are fascinating moves and each make total sense. Montgomery would slot into 3/4 with Ranger and allow them to go into post season with a Top 4 that is as good top to bottom as anyone. Going forward, they trade Walker and have 5/6 man rotation to manage Painter next year. Montgomery makes a ton of sense.

Bellinger is ideal given position flexibility being able to play all 3 OF positions and 1b. You’d have to trade Nick and you’d have to eat a lot of money in doing so. But you have a dream lineup with RH hitters JT, Bohm, Turner, and Rojas with LH hitters Bryce, Stott, Schwarber, Bellinger, and Marsh. You’d play left right left right through the lineup and the best version of Bellinger is a big upgrade over the best version of Nick.

At this point the money means nothing as these guys print money and the chips were all pushed in long ago. But people are happy to see Kimbrel gone but he was a big piece of the bullpen makeup who got burned out late. The biggest worry is that you don’t have a real 9th inning guy. Alvarado is filthy but he’s the type of guy who runs up his pitch count even on the best of days. Pitching him 3 out of 4 late in the year is a problem given his inefficiency. If not him, Seranthony? Hoffman? It’s not Soto. It might be the kid but that’s a ton to ask of him. I’d still like to add a hammer at the AS break in the pen and keep your powder dry for that.

Also, mission critical is getting Wheeler done. You can’t let him walk, Montgomery or not. Lets get this started!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

Supposed batting practice hat not released yet

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I really thought the Fightins would regret trading Sixto Sanchez, though I was pretty sure J.T. would an excellent addition to the Fightins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whart and Colt2169

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
"debridement surgery" -- sounds like something that happens during or immediately after a wedding, when the bride's family is not happy. 🤣 🤣

Reactions: LionJim

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Random tidbits from first two days -

There is nothing that makes me happier than seeing Larry Bowa teaching on the back fields after nearly 60 years in the game. It’s sad that his buddy Chuck isn’t here (or at least I haven’t seen him) but seeing Bo engaged and active is a pleasure. There are lifers and Bo clearly is one of them. He looks great and remains no nonsense. He has said he will continue as long as he has something to say and the kids listen. They would be well advised to listen to Larry.

Watched pitchers do the usual early drills of covering first and fielding and throwing to all bases. Obviously not a ton to process, but everyone looks fit and healthy. Ranger has started slow and has been a late arriver the past couple camps. But he is here and fully participating which I am happy to see. You forget how long and lean Wheeler and Sanchez are until they walk past you. Obviously, a lot of early chatter around Wheeler and getting him under contract before going north. I think it will come down to whether the Phillies want a lower AAV or whether they want a shorter deal. He’s going to get Scherzer money if it’s a shorter deal. I can see 4 years $125m at least.

I didn’t see Soto or Hoffman, but saw Kerkering, Seranthony, Strahm, Marte, and Alvarado. One guy that I’ve never figured out is Brogdon. It’s a big spring for him since I think he’s out of options. I’d like to see him go out there and compete his tail off but I just don’t know.

I am sure some regulars are already here but the only offensive guys I know are here are Stott and Hall. I’ve seen Hall the last couple of days and he was working with Bo taking ground balls at first. You won’t find too many kids nicer than Hall.

Looking forward to Monday when the big boys will be here on field.

EDIT - Charlie Manual is indeed here, arrived yesterday. Have not seen him at the complex yet. Trust me, if he’s out, you’ll know it. Even after some passage of time, he draws a huge following of people who want to see him, talk to him, get autos, or get pics of. He’s a fan fav like few others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt2169

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Random tidbits from first two days -

There is nothing that makes me happier than seeing Larry Bowa teaching on the back fields after nearly 60 years in the game. It’s sad that his buddy Chuck isn’t here (or at least I haven’t seen him) but seeing Bo engaged and active is a pleasure. There are lifers and Bo clearly is one of them. He looks great and remains no nonsense. He has said he will continue as long as he has something to say and the kids listen. They would be well advised to listen to Larry.

Watched pitchers do the usual early drills of covering first and fielding and throwing to all bases. Obviously not a ton to process, but everyone looks fit and healthy. Ranger has started slow and has been a late arriver the past couple camps. But he is here and fully participating which I am happy to see. You forget how long and lean Wheeler and Sanchez are until they walk past you. Obviously, a lot of early chatter around Wheeler and getting him under contract before going north. I think it will come down to whether the Phillies want a lower AAV or whether they want a shorter deal. He’s going to get Scherzer money if it’s a shorter deal. I can see 4 years $125m at least.

I didn’t see Soto or Hoffman, but saw Kerkering, Seranthony, Strahm, Marte, and Alvarado. One guy that I’ve never figured out is Brogdon. It’s a big spring for him since I think he’s out of options. I’d like to see him go out there and compete his tail off but I just don’t know.

I am sure some regulars are already here but the only offensive guys I know are here are Stott and Hall. I’ve seen Hall the last couple of days and he was working with Bo taking ground balls at first. You won’t find too many kids nicer than Hall.

Looking forward to Monday when the big boys will be here on field.

From the below article:

"Reliever Connor Brogdon: There had been conflicting information online about whether Brogdon still had one minor-league option left, but Phillies Nation did confirm this week that the 29-year-old is indeed out of options. It would be very surprising given the impressive flashes he’s shown in parts of four MLB seasons if Brogdon was DFA’d. But could he be someone that the Phillies trade for either outfield depth or a pitcher who has remaining minor-league options? That feels possible, although he may very well get a shot to be in the bullpen for the Phillies to start the season."

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
From the below article:

"Reliever Connor Brogdon: There had been conflicting information online about whether Brogdon still had one minor-league option left, but Phillies Nation did confirm this week that the 29-year-old is indeed out of options. It would be very surprising given the impressive flashes he’s shown in parts of four MLB seasons if Brogdon was DFA’d. But could he be someone that the Phillies trade for either outfield depth or a pitcher who has remaining minor-league options? That feels possible, although he may very well get a shot to be in the bullpen for the Phillies to start the season."

I don’t want to read into anything but watching him today, he was vintage Brogdon. His body language and demeanor have always made me shake my head. Some say lack of confidence; at times to me it’s indifference. He has ability, it’s in there. He initially reminded me physically of Madson. There was a reason he was called Mad Dog. Dude competed as much as anyone I’ve seen in the past 20 years. If you could put that into Brogdon, you’d have something.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts