2024 Phillies Thread

PSUriseANDfire

Oct 12, 2021
IMHO this is a great pickup for the Phils. Merrifield has been one of the more underrated players in baseball for quite some time, can play multiple positions, and will be a great fit with the other veterans on the Phillies roster.
Agreed. Great pickup. Only wish it was 2-3 years.

Reactions: Ceasar

Colt2169

Dec 13, 2021
Random tidbits from first two days -

There is nothing that makes me happier than seeing Larry Bowa teaching on the back fields after nearly 60 years in the game. It’s sad that his buddy Chuck isn’t here (or at least I haven’t seen him) but seeing Bo engaged and active is a pleasure. There are lifers and Bo clearly is one of them. He looks great and remains no nonsense. He has said he will continue as long as he has something to say and the kids listen. They would be well advised to listen to Larry.

Watched pitchers do the usual early drills of covering first and fielding and throwing to all bases. Obviously not a ton to process, but everyone looks fit and healthy. Ranger has started slow and has been a late arriver the past couple camps. But he is here and fully participating which I am happy to see. You forget how long and lean Wheeler and Sanchez are until they walk past you. Obviously, a lot of early chatter around Wheeler and getting him under contract before going north. I think it will come down to whether the Phillies want a lower AAV or whether they want a shorter deal. He’s going to get Scherzer money if it’s a shorter deal. I can see 4 years $125m at least.

I didn’t see Soto or Hoffman, but saw Kerkering, Seranthony, Strahm, Marte, and Alvarado. One guy that I’ve never figured out is Brogdon. It’s a big spring for him since I think he’s out of options. I’d like to see him go out there and compete his tail off but I just don’t know.

I am sure some regulars are already here but the only offensive guys I know are here are Stott and Hall. I’ve seen Hall the last couple of days and he was working with Bo taking ground balls at first. You won’t find too many kids nicer than Hall.

Looking forward to Monday when the big boys will be here on field.

EDIT - Charlie Manual is indeed here, arrived yesterday. Have not seen him at the complex yet. Trust me, if he’s out, you’ll know it. Even after some passage of time, he draws a huge following of people who want to see him, talk to him, get autos, or get pics of. He’s a fan fav like few others.
Awesome
Wife and I can’t wait to get down there in late March

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Phillies BP hats on sale today. All the flex fit gone, got mine! 😁

1708462477018.png

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
New hoodie only at team store. Call and order before they sell out, got mine!

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Larry Bowa with a hole in one at Phillies Golf tourney today ...

Last edited:
Reactions: rudedude

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
IMO….The Phil’s should score lots of runs this year. My chief concern as always and our Achilles heal this season will be the bullpen. Too many blown leads last season, Hopefully their off season moves to address it prove out. We shall see.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021

Wow...this is why we can't have nice things

And last year was the final straw, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Fans were throwing the dogs onto the field and in the stands, and long lines in the concourses created problems, the Inquirer reports. Several fans were ejected.
“Look, we’re very proud of this promotion,” John Weber, Phillies senior vice president of ticket operations and projects, tells the Inquirer. “It’s been talked about. It’s been great for 27 years. But it was just time for a change. We’ve been discussing a change for the last couple years. The unfortunate incidents last year of the throwing of the hot dogs plus the feedback from our fans postgame survey, the fans told us that it was time for a change.”

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

And last year was the final straw, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Fans were throwing the dogs onto the field and in the stands, and long lines in the concourses created problems, the Inquirer reports. Several fans were ejected.
“Look, we’re very proud of this promotion,” John Weber, Phillies senior vice president of ticket operations and projects, tells the Inquirer. “It’s been talked about. It’s been great for 27 years. But it was just time for a change. We’ve been discussing a change for the last couple years. The unfortunate incidents last year of the throwing of the hot dogs plus the feedback from our fans postgame survey, the fans told us that it was time for a change.”
Well large groups of humans with alcohol accessible, not a surprising result. It was started years ago to get fans to the park when the Phillies sucked.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Yeah, I read that too. I guess I get it. But it is a shame. Thought Crossing Broad was spot on with its commentary on the matter:

Reactions: Obliviax

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
On the other side of the state, the Pirates have SIX dollar dog nights scheduled for 2024. Maybe a couple hot dogs will get thrown. The Pirates won't care since they'll just be happy to have people there.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, I read that too. I guess I get it. But it is a shame. Thought Crossing Broad was spot on with its commentary on the matter:

I used to be a season ticket holder for both the Cavs and Browns. I stopped going because the fan experience is so bad for the Browns. I don't know why pro teams are so afraid of disciplining fans. Clearly, they lose ticket sales in the long term.

I fear, that with beer sales and college teams approaching pros, PSU will deteriorate to the same.

The Cavs were actually great but the ticket brokers drove up ticket prices in the lower bowl. My daughter's high school friend is a VP for them who told me almost every seat in the lower bowl is owned by brokers. I now buy tickets an hour before tip-off when I want to go to a game.

Reactions: GregPickel

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
They're fecking hot dogs for christ's sake. They are bad for you and god only knows whats in them. Why it this such a big whiny issue? Slow news and they need something to stir things up?

Reactions: LB99

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
I used to be a season ticket holder for both the Cavs and Browns. I stopped going because the fan experience is so bad for the Browns. I don't know why pro teams are so afraid of disciplining fans. Clearly, they lose ticket sales in the long term.

I fear, that with beer sales and college teams approaching pros, PSU will deteriorate to the same.

The Cavs were actually great but the ticket brokers drove up ticket prices in the lower bowl. My daughter's high school friend is a VP for them who told me almost every seat in the lower bowl is owned by brokers. I now buy tickets an hour before tip-off when I want to go to a game.

I fear this is already the case. The next step will be booing and mistreating the players based on their significant earnings, which used to be off-limits. Not anymore. If Allar is pulling in one tenth($1M) of what Caleb Williams ($10M) was, and he puts up another bad showing in a big game, it will get loud and ugly.

I've been watching fan behavior for many years from the Row 41 rail in EBU and EGU. It has been deteriorating for some time, and the beer sales have accelerated it greatly. And the media that sit in the box don't see it or report on it and just bloviate on how great the atmosphere is. And PSU needs to get a much sharper handle on things, pronto. Whatever supposed limits are being placed on sales appear to be ignored. I've seen numerous examples of people carrying 4-5 cans by themselves (and bear in mind they are selling larger volume cans). My favorite story is the guy already so hammered he didn't know all four he was carrying were open, and he was carrying two (top-to-bottom) in each hand. He started drinking from the top one while he was spilling the bottom one all over himself and the walkway. That's one of the reasons the stadium smells like a brewery by halftime due to all the spillage. Further, between the student misbehavior, the adult misbehavior and the lousy for hire "security" subcontracting, it won't be improving. The number of drunken, belligerent fans is going to drive away responsible fans unless teams start addressing this behavior.

• Sad
Reactions: Obliviax

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
This was yesterday, but still...

Man, that swing is beautiful.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Comeback Player of the Year? Anyone? Ok, I'll stop.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Comeback Player of the Year? Anyone? Ok, I'll stop.

Hats off to him and his agent for locking in the cash. For a couple years it looked like a good deal for the Phils. The 2019 season seemed like a precursor to good things. Then the injury bug started chasing him. He's still a young guy (to me anyway) even though it seems like he's been around forever.

Latest posts