2024 Phillies Thread

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
One week in, this might be the least eventful Spring the Phillies have had in a long time.

The article linked above pretty much addresses everything. The only news is really a spot in the pen and outfield to sort out. Precious little tidbits.

1- I shook my head watching Alvarado in the Spring home debut. His fastball touched 100 and his cutter was pure filth. I wanted to tell Stubbs to dial him down. I don’t know and I’m not sure Topper knows the order out there. The easiest path would be for Kerkering to close so that the rest of the pen roles are more consistent to last year. This will work itself out the next 3 weeks. If it’s not Kerkering than I guess it’s Alvarado to close out of the gate.

2- The outfield has some chance to be interesting. I am still of the opinion that Merriffield might start in left with Marsh in CF. I have to think about it more, but Merrifield might be the best extra man they have had in decades. He’s a total pro and he will fit here like a glove. It looks like Pache is the guy they want to win the bench spot. I’d be very surprised if it isnt Pache.

The Phillies had a sneaky good spring. Getting both Nola and now Zach done means you go forward with the window being open. Sure you can say they just paid up, but top of the rotation guys don’t grow on trees. Keeping both isn’t as easy as you think. Losing either would have had big ramifications now and later. Then adding Whit is a big addition. He does everything well and can play everywhere so Topper will have a lot of flexibility to get guys off their feet for a day or two.

The biggest remaining story is balancing the line between being smart and having Zach, Walker, and Ranger ready for Day 1. Their work is being managed for sure.

The one guy that I think elevates himself this year is Bohm. I think he gets 20+ dingers and hits well and makes his first AS team. Lets have these guys healthy that is the most important thing.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Interesting read from Stark. Phillies fans certainly won’t argue. It’s worked out damn well.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Two things from today at the ballpark.

1- I would be remiss if I did not mention that Jackson Holliday went 3-4 today with a dinger short of the cycle. His first AB against Wheeler had him smoking a double; he followed with a triple and single. This kid has the tools to be a monster. The Orioles are loaded and they could put together a dominating run over the next dozen years with their young players.

2- Kind of got a little misty seeing a couple at the yard today. Older couple, man was wearing a #15 Phillies Allen jersey while his wife was wearing an Orioles Brooks Robinson #5 jersey. Had to stop them and tell them thanks for taking me back to my youth.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Two things from today at the ballpark.

1- I would be remiss if I did not mention that Jackson Holliday went 3-4 today with a dinger short of the cycle. His first AB against Wheeler had him smoking a double; he followed with a triple and single. This kid has the tools to be a monster. The Orioles are loaded and they could put together a dominating run over the next dozen years with their young players.

2- Kind of got a little misty seeing a couple at the yard today. Older couple, man was wearing a #15 Phillies Allen jersey while his wife was wearing an Orioles Brooks Robinson #5 jersey. Had to stop them and tell them thanks for taking me back to my youth.

Jackson Holiday is really fun to watch. I was looking into going to Baltimore on Father’s Day for O’s vs Phils. That whole team is fun.

Reactions: Colt2169

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Man, after two years of coming up just short, a win over the Yankees to win it all. Couldn’t write a better script.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Jackson Holiday is really fun to watch. I was looking into going to Baltimore on Father’s Day for O’s vs Phils. That whole team is fun.

I was looking forward to this series, and catching the Fightins in Charm City. Last nite I checked my schedule to see which game I should attend, only to realize that I'll be out of town the week heading into the series, so Friday's game is out. Then I noticed that I agreed to attend a family gathering in northern NJ on Saturday, so that game is out as well. Sunday is an outside possibility, but that would leave me with a lot of driving over a 3-day period, so I'm probably going to miss it as well. smh

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Heading down to Clearwooder next week for two Phillies games. Any Clearwater Beach restaurant or bar recommendations?
Not sure what you’re looking for.

Place I tell everyone to go to is the Bait House at the end of the marina at the circle when entering the beach. It’s at the end of the marina facing back at the Aquaruim. Go through tackle shop to restaurant and bar at back. It’s small so expect to wait.

Beach Grub - Frenchy’s or Palm Pavillion
Decent Food with Variety - Clear Sky
Upscale Italian - Forlini’s or Cesare’s
Upscale Steak - Heilman’s or Blinkers (neither are my fav- E&E Steakout in Bellaire is better)
Breakfast - Clearsky or Another Broken Egg
Pizza - Bavaro’s or Cristino’s (Clearwater not Clearwater Beach)
Sunset - Palm Pavilion or Jimmy’s Fish House
Fine Dining- Seaguini in Opal Sands
Rooftop Bar - JW Marriot
Dining Off Beach - Colombia and Backwaters (Sandkey), Guppy’s (Indian Rocks)

Bars - Frenchy’s, Palm, or Coco’s, 3 Daughters Brewery upstairs next to Hooters.

Happy to answer additional questions.

PSUalum2007

Nov 3, 2021
Not sure what you’re looking for.

Place I tell everyone to go to is the Bait House at the end of the marina at the circle when entering the beach. It’s at the end of the marina facing back at the Aquaruim. Go through tackle shop to restaurant and bar at back. It’s small so expect to wait.

Beach Grub - Frenchy’s or Palm Pavillion
Decent Food with Variety - Clear Sky
Upscale Italian - Forlini’s or Cesare’s
Upscale Steak - Heilman’s or Blinkers (neither are my fav- E&E Steakout in Bellaire is better)
Breakfast - Clearsky or Another Broken Egg
Pizza - Bavaro’s or Cristino’s (Clearwater not Clearwater Beach)
Sunset - Palm Pavilion or Jimmy’s Fish House
Fine Dining- Seaguini in Opal Sands
Rooftop Bar - JW Marriot
Dining Off Beach - Colombia and Backwaters (Sandkey), Guppy’s (Indian Rocks)

Bars - Frenchy’s, Palm, or Coco’s, 3 Daughters Brewery upstairs next to Hooters.

Happy to answer additional questions.
This is great. Thank you!