2024 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Here is why not to be too optimistic. If Mitch Keller is the staff "ace", the Bucs are going nowhere. If one looks at his stats from Memorial day forward last season and the first two starts this year, there is ample reason for alarm. I thought it then and still believe that signing him to a long term $15M contract was ill advised.
I tend to agree with you that Keller isn’t an ace. However, if Jones and Skenes pan out, he may be a really good #3 guy and would make for a really good starting rotation for the Buccos.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Here is why not to be too optimistic. If Mitch Keller is the staff "ace", the Bucs are going nowhere. If one looks at his stats from Memorial day forward last season and the first two starts this year, there is ample reason for alarm. I thought it then and still believe that signing him to a long term $15M contract was ill advised.
Keller could be a quality starting pitcher, but I don’t know if he ever would be a number one or number two. Lots of Yinzers jumped all over me when I said that they should’ve traded him last year to the Orioles, who inquired. The Orioles AAA team would win at least 70 games in the majors this year. The Pirates could’ve had two of their top young players for Keller and would now have a guy like Heston Kjerstead in the OF

Reactions: LB99 and Nits74

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
You might not agree, but had a Stiller season ticket holder since 73 tell me the atmosphere for the Wild card game when they beat the Reds in 2013 was better than any Steeler game he's attended. I get it's easier to get pumped for 8 home games compared to 81, but when good the city and fanbase back the Bucs..

Reactions: LB99 and LionJim

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
And, maybe that’s the point. “When good”.
I still think it’s the Steelers in a landslide. And then Hockey, if it wasn’t a niche sport
Pittsburgh is a Penguin town, but not really a hockey town. With the two teams seemingly heading in opposite directions, it would take very little time for the Pirates to overtake them in popularity. Now the Steelers, agree that's a different story.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Pirates win 5-4 in 11 innings.
To show how little I've followed the game in recent years, I had no idea there was a rule to start a runner on 2nd base beginning in the 10th inning. I hate the rule. I have always loved extra innings and part of baseball's charm for me is a laid back, no hurry, game where there is time to socialize. My wife of 50 years and I got to know each other well during Pirate games in the late 60's. To me, the longer the game the better. Anyway, just another reason why my love affair with all sports is at an end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auxgym and FHSPSU67

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Walking leadoff batters with a multi run lead annoys the heck out of me.

Let Chapman be the closer. It’s not like it’s an unknown if he can take the pressure.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
It appears Pirate's fast start was a mirage. Have now lost 7 of 10 and, in past 3 games have scored 3 runs and given up 20. On a related note, I sprained my ankle today jumping off the bandwagon.
Yes, it looks as though they'll mirror last year's collapse, which occurred following their 20-8 start. Same old garbage. We should know better by now than to get too excited about any short term success this organization has.

Reactions: fairgambit

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
That Detroit game was a wake up call. Last year it took them 24 games to reach .500 after that 20-8 start.

Right now, they have a good chance at reaching .500 in the same amount of 11 games that it took to get to 9-2.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
It appears the Pirates have a difficult time developing talent. The best player, Reynolds, was not a Pirate draftee.
Yup none of their 1st round picks are doing much except Skenes and he’s upset with his pitch count limits

Reactions: Nits74

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Yup none of their 1st round picks are doing much except Skenes and he’s upset with his pitch count limits
Add to all this, though not a Pirate draft pick, I was never quite sold on the super star waiting to happen tag placed on Cruz. All he does is strikeout and make errors.

That Detroit game was a wake up call. Last year it took them 24 games to reach .500 after that 20-8 start.

Right now, they have a good chance at reaching .500 in the same amount of 11 games that it took to get to 9-2.
And they've done it!!! Good work fellas.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Black outs. I have the MLB.tv and am a Braves fan and live in NEPA. Anytime the Braves play the Phillies, Pirates, or Mets home or away I can't watch the games because they are blacked out. If I could just pay to stream the Braves games through Bally Sports Southeast with no black outs, I'd be happy.

Latest posts