2024 USA Olympic Trials Thread

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I believe DT chose AB to be his training partner for the Tokyo Olympics.
I wonder who AB will select to travel and be his training partner in Paris.
Maybe on our incoming freshmen Connor M.? Just a wild guess. In honesty he appeared to challenge AB considerably more than DT.
I’d bet he takes DT if his schedule permits. DT has a very busy life now. He has 3 young daughters a Wife, a farm, and the M2 training center where he teaches younger guys. Will see

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Well let’s put things in perspective. Gilman and DT both have Wife’s and young Children. Spencer and Aaron Brooks are solely focused on Wrestling only. That’s the difference. We’re all gonna cheer for Spencer to qualify the weight next month and Dake to win Gold for the United States. In addition DT has a farm and the best wrestling club in the world for youngsters at M2. That’s just a little perspective we need to understand. We will all be cheering for the guys who won so we prove to the World the United States is the Best team on the earth. DT will be Brooks training partner and Jason will be Dakes training partner in Tokyo Japan for a Gold medal. Lee will also be Zains partner. These guys are best friends for life.
I doubt that, but you may be right. Maybe Bo will be Brook's training partner?

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I believe DT chose AB to be his training partner for the Tokyo Olympics.
I wonder who AB will select to travel and be his training partner in Paris.
Maybe on our incoming freshmen Connor M.? Just a wild guess. In honesty he appeared to challenge AB considerably more than DT.
What about Bo being in Brook's corner, of course Bo may have other commitments.

Reactions: GoPSU97

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
Congrats to Aaron! Great win over DT. Aaron looked much sharper, more match ready. I saw somewhere about all the time DT had between now and his last competitive match. They always say iron sharpens iron; nothing replicates that like actual matches. I do believe having just gone through the battles at Big Tens and NCAAs gave Aaron that edge that DT didn’t have. DT was a great champ; I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him. He’ll learn from this. Aaron will be a great champ too. I have a ton of respect for the young man the way he conducts himself on and off the mat. I couldn’t pick a better person to represent PSU and our country on the world stage. Looking forward to Paris and seeing him win gold.

[email protected]

Nov 16, 2023
Jason and David are two of the most prolific takedown artists in college wrestling history. In their four matches (24 minutes) with Kyle and Aaron they failed to score a takedown!

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
DT was a great champ; I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him. He’ll learn from this. Aaron will be a great champ too. I have a ton of respect for the young man the way he conducts himself on and off the mat. I couldn’t pick a better person to represent PSU and our country on the world stage. Looking forward to Paris and seeing him win gold.
We may see DT again, but it won't be as the next USA Olympic representative. Can't beat Father Time.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
David Taylor-by changing his commitment to PSU when Cael was hired- and a 2 time national Champ and Hodge winner-and the 2021 Olympic gold medalist-and a great ambassador of the sport - and helping to elevate status of NLWC- and a great family man- and staying in the State College area and establishing the great M2 training center in the area and even training young wrestlers Levi Haines-will always be a Penn State wrestling hero. He deserves every accolade he gets-nothing is handed to a person in the sports world-it is earned through long years of hard work. David worked hard for years to become a World Champion and then Olympic champion., However, yesterday, Aaron Brooks who has gotten bigger and stronger and elevated his wrestling skills tremendously-was just the better wrestler. Perhaps it is that Aaron has had many more completive matches this spring.. Also, I saw in his video that David had to cut a lot of weight in a short time. Aaron is at the top of his game and an ascending talent who does not have the family/business obligations David has and is 10 years younger. What respect between the two -it was shown at the end of the match. However, also, David appeared -at that moment-quite sad-perhaps knowing that it is the end of the road and he will not win that second Olympic gold medal. Hard for me to believe that he wrestles at the top international level for 4 more years. Wrestling must be tough on the body and he is 33 and as noted above has many family/business obligations as he should at his age. David represents what is great about PSU wrestling and should always be seen as a PSU hero and role model. Hopefully he remains in the PSU area and continues with his M2 training program. Imagine being a kid and training there-even if you were not a great wrestler, there would be terrific life lessons.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
impossible to say, at this time. Registration is still open. And, some countries have not yet completed their trials, and if they haven't qualified the weight, then their trials winner will likely head to Istanbul for the Last Chance Qualifier.

At 57 Kg (where Spencer Lee is in the same situation as Zain), 32 countries have registered a wrestler as of today. I presume it's similar for Zain's weight class.
It's not so much how many guys, but how many good wrestlers he'd have to beat.

Here is a list of countries that have/have not qualified so far:

More of the tougher countries have qualified at 65 kg than at 57 kg, so Lee theoretically faces a tougher path than Zain. Of course, the tougher wrestlers could be from any country, including Russian expats, so we don't really know yet. The wrestling media will do this work for us in the next 2 weeks.

In general, I'd feel pretty good about both of their chances. Zain is a world champ, and Lee's style is a handful for guys who have already faced him.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
From FRL

Do we see DT at 92kg world team trails this year, some talk it was going to happen next year.

Also Brooks walks around at 215, that is a hell of ancut

Latest posts