27-Man Roster Question

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
According to the broadcast tonight, the SEC has a rule that only 27 players can compete in an SEC series weekend and they must be declared before he series starts.

if one of those players is injured (like Mizzou’s OF), can that player be replaced or are you down to 26 for the remainder of the weekend?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I really can't say why, but I don't care as much about the SEC tournament as I used to.
I would be very happy if we won, but I really don't care too much about it.

I think it can put a lot of stress on your pitching staff.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Not sure. Maybe in case of injury.

I do know most, like the broadcasr mentioned, travel more than 27 and most team dont let their guys know whose for sure not on the roster.…

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Just need a John Harden to pitch every game. Polk dropped his name a few weeks back and said “you old timers will remember that name” or something like that. I was excited and depressed at the same time realizing I’ve achieved old timer status.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I really can't say why, but I don't care as much about the SEC tournament as I used to.
I would be very happy if we won, but I really don't care too much about it.

Nobody cares about it except a bubble team or two every year that need some wins (see Univ of Northern MS 2022). It's like a crappy bowl game win, meaningless otherwise

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Follow-up question: Do you have to declare 27 players for the whole weekend? Or for each game? In other words, do we know that player isn't available today and tomorrow as well?

Last edited:

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Another question: Any thoughts on why we allowed him to throw a pitch? We watched him warm up and then came out with a scorecard after one pitch. Surely, we recognized the issue before that moment. Did we think there would be some penalty assessed?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Follow-up question: Do you have to declare 27 players for the whole weekend? Or for each game? In other words, do we know that player isn't available today and tomorrow as well?
This (SEC rule) says the 27 must be declared for the series and can't be changed. Also says the visiting team can't travel with more than 27 so it's odd that they loaded up the bus with more. Probably explains why we watched him warmup and didn't say anything - unless that rule is overlooked often.

ETA: I bet they made a last minute change to the 27 and didn't change the roster sheet they turned in. Surely they didn't travel with and dress out more than 27.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You have 27 players for the weekend. If someone gets hurt, you have 26 available the rest of the weekend.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
More important question:

If a player didn’t make the 27 man roster, why in the world is the coach putting him during a tightly contested SEC game?

Reactions: patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
More important question:

If a player didn’t make the 27 man roster, why in the world is the coach putting him during a tightly contested SEC game?
My question is, why isn't he on the 27-man roster? His stats indicate he is one of their relied-upon pitchers.

SEC stats:
5.79 ERA, 23.1 IP

This is compared to their 6.35 team ERA coming into yesterday. Only three pitchers have recorded more outs. And one of the three is thought to be injured.

Magdic and Lucas are their best pitchers available today. They average a combined 15 outs per SEC weekend...

We need to score some runs today!

patdog

May 28, 2007
More important question:

And why is there no penalty for playing an ineligible player? It really should have been a forfeit when he entered the game.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This (SEC rule) says the 27 must be declared for the series and can't be changed. Also says the visiting team can't travel with more than 27 so it's odd that they loaded up the bus with more. Probably explains why we watched him warmup and didn't say anything - unless that rule is overlooked often.

ETA: I bet they made a last minute change to the 27 and didn't change the roster sheet they turned in. Surely they didn't travel with and dress out more than 27.
Its common for a team to travel with more than 27. They just dont "dress" for the game. They are in a pullover or whatever else you want to call it.

I mean our first base coach is a "player" and I would almost guarentee he isnt listed on our 27 man.