3rd in SEC East

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Based on pre-season expectations from various sources, we are predicted to lose to UNC, UGA, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Clemson. I think we will do better and finish the regular season 8-4. Frankly, I think saying 3rd is about right. I hope we do better.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
In the "old days" 3rd in the east was the goal. No way we were beating out UT or UF, so 3rd in the East is what we aspired to.

Last edited:

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Based on pre-season expectations from various sources, we are predicted to lose to UNC, UGA, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Clemson. I think we will do better and finish the regular season 8-4. Frankly, I think saying 3rd is about right. I hope we do better.
If we lose to UNC, even 3rd in the SEC East will be a pipe dream.

80and90gcock

Joined Nov 20, 2003 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
The perceived problem is that 4 of those 5 games are away (one is a neutral site) with the lone home game against Clemson.

We have got to win at least one of those games...I think we win at least two.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Based on?
I agree with him based on UT being really a season late overhyped. Joe Milton is in his 5th year and 3rd time winning the starting job. He has managed to finish 5 total games in 2 different stints as the starter with 2 different schools as the starter. 1 of those games was his career game against Clempson, in a bowl game.

They also lost 2 WRs drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL draft, with one of those being the fastest recorded player in the NFL who also won the Biletnikoff Award last year. The other was widely considered to be a better prospect that the latter.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
58 years of being a Gamecock fan tells me we have never had a coach quite like CSB. (y)
Throwing out the old guys (Morrison, Holtz, Spurrier) that is very true.
Beamer has the personality and enthusiasm to motivate the team which none of the other coaches had.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
We have everything we need to win our first game. Minimize the usual start of season execution issues and mental mistakes.

Rattler and company will be rolling and the heels just can't counter it defensively. That puts us in the driver's seat.

Can we contain them with our defense? I believe we can.

I'll withhold thoughts on subsequent games after we see how we operate in game 1.

And, Go Gamecocks!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It's a huge game to start the year. Win and we have a lot of big goals in play. Lose and it will feel like the season is over before it even started.
It'll feel like it because that's what it will be.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
58 years of being a Gamecock fan tells me we have never had a coach quite like CSB. (y)
Doing better than a Hall of Fame coach is a tall order, and logic says that's what it would take to make him the exception among coaches of the last 58 years.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Throwing out the old guys (Morrison, Holtz, Spurrier) that is very true.
Beamer has the personality and enthusiasm to motivate the team which none of the other coaches had.
If you throw out the old guys then you've narrowed the range to less than 30 years.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
While the first game is very important, I don't believe throwing in the towel if we lose to them is going to happen. Did we not lose to UNC in a season opener, in, I think it was George Rogers junior year 28-0.... a very disappointing start? We ended up finishing 8-4. I'm going by memory now. So, I might be off on the details. And what about last season? Did we do anything in games 1-10 to indicate how we would finish against UT and Clemson? I did not see it coming? Did anyone???????? I suspect that we will be the underdog going into the game. If we lose, I don't see it as the end of our season. Disappointing and disheartening? Yes. But not the end, figuratively nor literally of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: Maccmaine12

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
While the first game is very important, I don't believe throwing in the towel if we lose to them is going to happen. Did we not lose to UNC in a season opener, in, I think it was George Rogers junior year 28-0.... a very disappointing start? We ended up finishing 8-4. I'm going by memory now. So, I might be off on the details. And what about last season? Did we do anything in games 1-10 to indicate how we would finish against UT and Clemson? I did not see it coming? Did anyone???????? I suspect that we will be the underdog going into the game. If we lose, I don't see it as the end of our season. Disappointing and disheartening? Yes. But not the end, figuratively nor literally of the season
Agreed.

Also, we could simply play badly in the first game, or rusty.

My concern was, if we straight up lose to unc, there are a lot of teams on our schedule that I feel are better than unc.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
My concern was, if we straight up lose to unc, there are a lot of teams on our schedule that I feel are better than unc.
I agree with that assessment. But other than Georgia last season, no one was better, on our schedule than UT and Clemson. But if we do lose to UNC, a lot of our fans will look to jump out of a window, figuratively.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Agreed.

Also, we could simply play badly in the first game, or rusty.

Losing the first game ensures seasonal deficiency.

Reactions: Lurker123