50% chance of rain Tuesday and diesel is expensive.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the committee sent a pretty strong message that would be frowned upon. Just play the damn game, take the win, and move on. It'll drop us a few spots in RPI but really won't make much difference. We'll either host or not host based on what we do vs Missouri and possibly in the SEC tournament. And next year, don't schedule so many RPI killer games, either early or late in the season.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I think the committee sent a pretty strong message that would be frowned upon. Just play the damn game, take the win, and move on. It'll drop us a few spots in RPI but really won't make much difference. We'll either host or not host based on what we do vs Missouri and possibly in the SEC tournament. And next year, don't schedule so many RPI killer games, either early or late in the season.
completely agree.....but if we can get out of this one on the account of rain......take it ....

patdog

May 28, 2007
completely agree.....but if we can get out of this one on the account of rain......take it ....
Well yeah. If it rains. But I don’t think we want to be on the hosting bubble with a cancelled game when it didn’t rain. BTW, the 40% chance of rain tomorrow is for the morning. It’ll be long gone by game time.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We scheduled this game knowing UNA was going to have a terrible RPI. We weren’t forced to schedule it. It would be cowardice and really schitty to cancel because omg, UNA’s RPI is terrible. If it’s not raining, we should play.

Reactions: patdog

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
There's no way we should expect them to make that drive to Starkville given the current cicada plague. Such swarms haven't been seen on Earth since the days of Moses. Hitting a swarm of these things can cause a windshield to become instantly completely opaque risking the lives of all on board. We shouldn't want any such accident to be on our conscience.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
We scheduled this game knowing UNA was going to have a terrible RPI. We weren’t forced to schedule it. It would be cowardice and really schitty to cancel because omg, UNA’s RPI is terrible. If it’s not raining, we should play.
I'm going to mention this again because it is very very relevant: in 2022, Ole Miss canceled a low-RPI game at the end of the season. It's widely known they were the last team to get in the tournament. So dropping that game literally secured them a spot in the NCAA tournament, which they (sickeningly) went on and won.

I hate that dropping a game late in the year would make some people ashamed of our cowardice and everything, but personally I would rather host than not host, and this one late season RPI hit could make that difference. This would be a business decision. UNA would get paid to stay home. Sorry, but we should care more about our fate than theirs. But, I really don't think you have to worry - I'm sure we won't cancel because we're such nice guys. Then we can tell everyone about how we heroically played UNA on the bus ride to our distant location as a 2 seed. Hey, but at least a few of our own fans won't label us as "baseball cowards". Yay us.

PS I agree with you that we shouldn't have scheduled it. But that's a different discussion to have between now and 2025 scheduling.

Reactions: EnergyDawg12

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I know a couple of guys that could really use the extra AB’s.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
If is not a legit rain out, do the honorable thing and play the game. If we dont want to play games like that, then don’t schedule them. It’s as simple as that. If you want to be a first class organization then act like one.

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
IF we have to bring in a relief pitcher just go ahead and throw in the white flag .Too many throwers with scholarships on this team .

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
we really should be increasing the radius of the danger of lightning to about 200 miles, just to be safe.

Oct 17, 2023

patdog

May 28, 2007
NCAA sent out a message on April 30th about cancelling games for RPI

Now, what they will actually do depends on who it is.
The impact of win is small enough it's not worth it. I think it would only come into play if say, Mississippi State and Duke are almost equal for the last host bid. Then they might look and see, oh Mississippi State cancelled a game vs UNA while Duke played at beat East Carolina non-conference, and give the last spot to Duke. In other words, not likely to come into play.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Today's canceled games of note so far (RPI):
  • Butler (179) @ Notre Dame
  • Mercer (103) @ Georgia Tech
  • Wright State (122) @ Kentucky
  • Liberty (113) @ Wake Forest
  • South Dakota State (245) @ Kansas State
  • Indiana State @ Ball State (127)
  • Bethune (223) @ UCF

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: onewoof

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
We are so much more heroic and brave than these cowardly institutions who cancelled games to potentially improve their seeding in the NCAA tournament. I bet our guys can't wait to laugh at them the entire plane trip to Corvallis.

Reactions: onewoof

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The interesting one is Wake Forest. We are probably competing for a host with them.

ETA: Indiana State (host candidate) also canceled a game with Ball State (RPI 127).

Last edited: