A look at baseball stats after the opening weekend of league play...

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Team batting fell to .290 ....We are now flirting with DFL in the SEC.

Team ERA rose to 5.54 ...We are now flirting with DFL in the SEC.

Fielding rose slightly to .961 ...Still DFL in the SEC (12 points separate us and 13th place. For reference, 6 points separate spots 6-13. i.e... we are REALLY bad)

We're DFL in stolen bases allowed with 45. Bama is 13th with 23.

We've walked 145 times which leads by a large margin. So we're nearly last in batting average but we lead in walks. Somebody tell me what that means.

We're DFL in passed balls, wild pitches and walks allowed... yet we're 3rd in the league in batters struck out. Somebody tell me what that means.

It's like we're playing 9U baseball and we're the team coached by a couple of college kids who just love the game but didn't count on all the other dads banding together to make their teams with their own kids who could actually play so we were left with the players whose parents just signed them up and dropped them off for the first practice.

Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

Fielding rose slightly to .961 ...Still DFL in the SEC (12 points separate us and 13th place. For reference, 6 points separate spots 6-13. i.e... we are REALLY bad)

We're DFL in stolen bases allowed with 45. Bama is second with 23.

We've walked 145 times which leads by a large margin. So we're nearly last in batting average but we lead in walks. Somebody tell me what that means.

We're DFL in passed balls, wild pitches and walks allowed... yet we're 3rd in the league in batters struck out. Somebody tell me what that means.

It's like we're playing 9U baseball and we're the team coached by a couple of college kids who just love the game but didn't count on all the other dads banding together to make their teams with their own kids who could actually play so we were left with the players whose parents just signed them up and dropped them off for the first practice.
we suck again GIF

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012

We're DFL in stolen bases allowed with 45. Bama is second with 23.

So you're saying we're bad.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Everytime we allow a runner to first base and they don't immediately steal 2nd on the first pitch it amazes me. I've never seen a team so inept and preventing steals. 3 for 48 I think we are this year on throwing out runners...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I looked at our stats a few weeks ago and was like, "hey we've got some guys who can hit", and then I compared them to the other SEC teams. Holy sh*t, it's eye-popping, the difference.

More evidence of an overall lack of talent. What sucks for Lemonis is that this was supposed to be the down year, the rebuild year. But since last year went so off the rails (really more to injuries and bad luck, then the Ole Miss run), he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and may not get the chance to fix the situation.

Reactions: patdog

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I looked at our stats a few weeks ago and was like, "hey we've got some guys who can hit", and then I compared them to the other SEC teams. Holy sh*t, it's eye-popping, the difference.

More evidence of an overall lack of talent. What sucks for Lemonis is that this was supposed to be the down year, the rebuild year. But since last year went so off the rails (really more to injuries and bad luck, then the Ole Miss run), he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and may not get the chance to fix the situation.
i think most rational people can handle a down year, if you're solidly coached and just waiting on talent to mature. But, the things I'm seeing are pure coaching, evaluation, and/or strategy related.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

The hitters are extremely talented. EXTREMELY. The problem is their taught approach (if it’s taught) is absolutely terrible. We hit ok with people off base but when people get on base we go full retard.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
That reminds me of the time about 4 decades ago when started slow, looked terrible and lost two mid-week games to Arkansas Pine Bluff. We went on to win the SEC. We'll be fine.***

Attachments

• 070DEB55-F1A5-4B0A-9E82-3B40DD5C47F5.jpeg
    070DEB55-F1A5-4B0A-9E82-3B40DD5C47F5.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 6

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

We're DFL in stolen bases allowed with 45. Bama is 13th with 23.

It was going to take a lot for me to join the Fire Lemonis bandwagon this season, but I’ll be damned if this doesn’t fall under a complete lack of institutional control claim

If this continues for the remainder of the year, his job has to be in question

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It was going to take a lot for me to join the Fire Lemonis bandwagon this season, but I’ll be damned if this doesn’t fall under a complete lack of institutional control claim

If this continues for the remainder of the year, his job has to be in question
Yea, the fielding is probably the most damning thing to me. We're not just sort of bad. We're awful. Really needed some younger players to show some promise and for us to look well coached even if we were not quite there talent wise. We have some younger players showing some promise, but we definitely don't look well coached. Not sure how realistic it is to expect things to get better throughout the season.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

And the fact that all the real talent is young, and we still have injuries plaguing our pitching staff is only compounding our problems.

I mean we all know what’s about to happen against Vandy this weekend. Ynetema has pitched his way out of the rotation the past few weeks and so of course, with no Cade or Kohn, we are going to have to pull in Loftin to start on Saturday or Sunday even though he’s probably not ready. Two true freshmen starters in your SEC weekend rotation is a recipe for disaster under even the best of circumstances, and we’re about to have to do it more or less against our will and have to deal with all the other struggles we’ve got at the plate, on the mound, and in the dugout as well.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The hitters are extremely talented. EXTREMELY. The problem is their taught approach (if it’s taught) is absolutely terrible. We hit ok with people off base but when people get on base we go full retard.

No they really arent. This is probably the least talented teams state has had in the last 4-5 years. This was suppose to be the down year. Last year's team is the problem in the lemonis tenure so far, not this one.

The hitters are young and frankly not very talented at all.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The talented hitters are supposedly Jordan and Highfill, who have both flashed a bit but also struggled at times. And it seems Jordan is hurt potentially because he has been out of the lineup for awhile.

Clark and Hines are others who can hit the long ball but don’t really move the needle anywhere else. Clark was draft eligible last summer and no one was really interested, so that tells you a good bit right there. Ledbetter seems decent but profiles similar to RJ Yeager.

Certainly no Mangums, Rookers, TA’s, Rowdey’s, Westburgs, or Foscues in this current group….from the looks of things.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Doesn't take a genius to understand why we give up so many runs when we are worst in walks allowed, worst in stolen bases allowed and worst in fielding percentage all leading to the most runs allowed at 138 which is 14 more than the next closest team. We are middle of the pack offensively but that is not anywhere good enough to offset all the runs we give away. The really eyepopping number is that we have had 51 STEAL ATTEMPTS against us for the year. The next closest to that is 27 attempts against Ole Miss. So we have had almost twice as many steal attempts against us as the next closest SEC team. Every time we put someone on first through a walk or error or if they get a single its essentially turning into an automatic double.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Doesn't take a genius to understand why we give up so many runs when we are worst in walks allowed, worst in stolen bases allowed and worst in fielding percentage all leading to the most runs allowed at 138 which is 14 more than the next closest team. We are middle of the pack offensively but that is not anywhere good enough to offset all the runs we give away. The really eyepopping number is that we have had 51 STEAL ATTEMPTS against us for the year. The next closest to that is 27 attempts against Ole Miss. So we have had almost twice as many steal attempts against us as the next closest SEC team. Every time we put someone on first through a walk or error or if they get a single its essentially turning into an automatic double.
You can tell by that 1 stat what the scouting report says about running against us. Throw in us having the most passed balls and wild pitches and you have a large number of free bases every game

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
The talented hitters are supposedly Jordan and Highfill, who have both flashed a bit but also struggled at times. And it seems Jordan is hurt potentially because he has been out of the lineup for awhile.

Clark and Hines are others who can hit the long ball but don’t really move the needle anywhere else. Clark was draft eligible last summer and no one was really interested, so that tells you a good bit right there. Ledbetter seems decent but profiles similar to RJ Yeager.

Certainly no Mangums, Rookers, TA’s, Rowdey’s, Westburgs, or Foscues in this current group….from the looks of things.
Ledbetter is the best bet to leave after this year. Most mock sites and MLB have him hovering around 30 to 39 overall. 2nd round grades. These of course are subject to change the same way Skenes has gone from mid 1st round presesson to potentially #1 overall with how he has dominated so far.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Ledbetter is the best bet to leave after this year. Most mock sites and MLB have him hovering around 30 to 39 overall. 2nd round grades. These of course are subject to change the same way Skenes has gone from mid 1st round presesson to potentially #1 overall with how he has dominated so far.
Yep, if Wes Johnson doesn't destroy Skenes' arm by the end of the year, he will be getting some big time money in the draft.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Right Ledbetter looks to be a solid guy. Hines will obviously be a high MLB draft pick at some point in his career too. Clark is what he is, no way Hancock should be hitting 4th in any SEC lineup that has talent. There just isnt a lot of talent on the offensive side of things.

The games we've won has basically been due to teams walking us. When we play teams that throw strikes and quality strikes we struggle offensively.

Not sure how anyone can say there is a amazing amount of talent on the offensive side of things. I think there are maybe 3-4 real sec type hitters in the order period

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Right Ledbetter looks to be a solid guy. Hines will obviously be a high MLB draft pick at some point in his career too. Clark is what he is, no way Hancock should be hitting 4th in any SEC lineup that has talent. There just isnt a lot of talent on the offensive side of things.

The games we've won has basically been due to teams walking us. When we play teams that throw strikes and quality strikes we struggle offensively.

Not sure how anyone can say there is an amazing amount of talent on the offensive side of things. I think there are maybe 3-4 real sec type hitters in the order period
I think the issues at the plate are more mental than anything. We were 1-20 with RISP at one point this weekend.

last year we were top 5 in Slug, HR, BA and Total bases. But 9th in runs.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They graduated 4 of their top 5 hitters from last season.

and the 4 coming back, only 1 looks like a legit sec hitter: Hines

I mean no offense, but kellum clark swings from the heels every pitch. Strikes out 1 of every 4 at-bats and doesnt look like hes changed anything from last yeaer after hitting 230. Forsythe wouldnt be the every day shortstop if we could recruit a SS that could acutally play the field. Lemonis did everything he could do to NOT play him last year and instead of going out and recruiting one to play it this year.. he assumed forsythe would get better. WRONG. And hancock simply shouldnt be holding down an offensive position at 1b when hes not very good offensively. He hit 4 homers in sec play last year and didnt even hit 300. Come on!!!!!!

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
No they really arent. This is probably the least talented teams state has had in the last 4-5 years. This was suppose to be the down year. Last year's team is the problem in the lemonis tenure so far, not this one.

The hitters are young and frankly not very talented at all.
Dakota is an insane talent. He can’t hit his weight.

Ledbetter, Clark, Alford, Hines…all super talented as well. It takes more than talent to be good at baseball.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They graduated 4 of their top 5 hitters from last season.

and the 4 coming back, only 1 looks like a legit sec hitter: Hines

I mean no offense, but kellum clark swings from the heels every pitch. Strikes out 1 of every 4 at-bats and doesnt look like hes changed anything from last yeaer after hitting 230. Forsythe wouldnt be the every day shortstop if we could recruit a SS that could acutally play the field. Lemonis did everything he could do to NOT play him last year and instead of going out and recruiting one to play it this year.. he assumed forsythe would get better. WRONG. And hancock simply shouldnt be holding down an offensive position at 1b when hes not very good offensively. He hit 4 homers in sec play last year and didnt even hit 300. Come on!!!!!!
James and Tanner weren’t great at the plate last year. What you said about Luke you can say about Tanner last year and almost say it about James.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
James and Tanner weren’t great at the plate last year. What you said about Luke you can say about Tanner last year and almost say it about James.
I said the same thing last season about those 2 also. I loved their contributions in 21' don't get me wrong but neither one of them fared well at the plate last year from what I recall. I sure as hell woukd love to have them both this year though LMAO. Especially Logans cannon behind the dish.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
insane talent that played at Jackson Academy. Small school baseball is a big jump to SEC baseball even if you are ultra talented.

Ledbetter agree with. Hines is obvious. Sorry I dont see Clark or Alfrod at all. Clark has had some 300-400 at-bats in his career, he is what he is and that doesnt look ultra talented. Its a lefty handed swinger with a lot of power but a lot of swing and miss who after 300-400 at-bats still struggles to make adjustments.

Alford wouldnt be playing on most sec teams and clark would likely be a platoon guy or exactly what he is here, which is a 7-8-9 hole hitter.

Jordan id like to see more of. But again small school to sec is a big jump. Seeing he's K-ed 12 times in 43 at-bats shows me he's not making the jump well. Throw in the fact that only 2 XBH and all that was against non-sec pitching.

sorry just dont see the talent oozing out of our hitters.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Agree. Big problem last year was them sticking Hancock and Tanner right in the middle of the order and never moving them. He's making the same mistake this year with Hancock.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
insane talent that played at Jackson Academy. Small school baseball is a big jump to SEC baseball even if you are ultra talented.

Ledbetter agree with. Hines is obvious. Sorry I dont see Clark or Alfrod at all. Clark has had some 300-400 at-bats in his career, he is what he is and that doesnt look ultra talented. Its a lefty handed swinger with a lot of power but a lot of swing and miss who after 300-400 at-bats still struggles to make adjustments.

Alford wouldnt be playing on most sec teams and clark would likely be a platoon guy or exactly what he is here, which is a 7-8-9 hole hitter.

Jordan id like to see more of. But again small school to sec is a big jump. Seeing he's K-ed 12 times in 43 at-bats shows me he's not making the jump well. Throw in the fact that only 2 XBH and all that was against non-sec pitching.

sorry just dont see the talent oozing out of our hitters.
I can't really disagree which leads me yet again to ask the question... With our reputation and recent national title and the attendance records and fan base and facilities, why can we not sign out of state studs? And I mean that no disrespect to the state of Mississippi because there are plenty of good talented players they're also. I'm not talking about junior college players or transfer portal. I do realize the ones that we do sign seem to always leave for the draft, which will probably happen again this year to Dylan Cupp(SS) in GA.. I personally just don't think we can load up our freshman roster every year from Jackson area preps.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I can't really disagree which leads me yet again to ask the question... With our reputation and recent national title and the attendance records and fan base and facilities, why can we not sign out of state studs? And I mean that no disrespect to the state of Mississippi because there are plenty of good talented players they're also. I'm not talking about junior college players or transfer portal. I do realize the ones that we do sign seem to always leave for the draft, which will probably happen again this year to Dylan Cupp(SS) in GA.. I personally just don't think we can load up our freshman roster every year from Jackson area preps.
the last sentence hits the nail on the head. We cannot load up our rosters from jackson area preps and expect to be any good. First and foremost Mississippi high school baseball isnt as good as other states, and the 'preps' in jackson play 80% of their schedule against some not so good competition.

Seems like this staff really loves that area and thinks its a sweet spot. Could be an issue with some of the lack of talent I think we have.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
the last sentence hits the nail on the head. We cannot load up our rosters from jackson area preps and expect to be any good. First and foremost Mississippi high school baseball isnt as good as other states, and the 'preps' in jackson play 80% of their schedule against some not so good competition.

Seems like this staff really loves that area and thinks its a sweet spot. Could be an issue with some of the lack of talent I think we have.
Yep and it just makes me wonder why. I mean, dont get me wrong we have our share from the State that turn out great(I'll list 2 straight away below that are exceptions) but just a few in the past few years off the top of my head all from out of state:

Mangum....MS
JT Ginn.....MS
Ethan Small....TN
TAllen....AL
Rowdey...AL
Foscue....AL
Westburg....TX
E McNamee.....TX

I know Im missing quite a few but thats just a small sample size.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

these kids arent recruited bc of what they do in their HS games. They are judged based on how they do in showcases.

And to try to narrow this all down to one or two things is silly. To be this bad you have done a lot wrong from Evals to development to culture.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Forsythe wouldnt be the every day shortstop if we could recruit a SS that could acutally play the field. Lemonis did everything he could do to NOT play him last year and instead of going out and recruiting one to play it this year.. he assumed forsythe would get better. WRONG.

Forsythe has actually quietly been a little bit better at the plate, at least before last weekend. Who knows if it continues as the competition stiffens (probably not), but right now his OPS is way up and he’s already pretty close to his total RBI’s from last year. Nothing earth shattering, but I think he is way down the list of overall problems at present time.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Forsythe has actually quietly been a little bit better at the plate, at least before last weekend. Who knows if it continues as the competition stiffens (probably not), but right now his OPS is way up and he’s already pretty close to his total RBI’s from last year. Nothing earth shattering, but I think he is way down the list of overall problems at present time.
Yes, among all the many problems on this team, Forsythe is way down the list. Had a rough start to the year but is still a pretty good defensive SS and his hitting has definitely improved.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Yep, if Wes Johnson doesn't destroy Skenes' arm by the end of the year, he will be getting some big time money in the draft.
It’s a farce that Wes was the sole culprit- everything plays into arm injuries: arm fatigue, proper strength and conditioning, nutrition, rest and recovery - the players have an obligation to themselves to take care of their arms and bodies

If he was so bad, why’d Arkansas, the Twins and now LSU hire him? Because he’s an elite coach just like he was at Dallas Baptist

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It’s a farce that Wes was the sole culprit- everything plays into arm injuries: arm fatigue, proper strength and conditioning, nutrition, rest and recovery - the players have an obligation to themselves to take care of their arms and bodies

If he was so bad, why’d Arkansas, the Twins and now LSU hire him? Because he’s an elite coach just like he was at Dallas Baptist
Ive always thought that too but It is wierd that LSU had a bunch of guys get injured since he got there. My guess is he works well with older kids but his program isn’t good for kids that haven’t trained all that much. It’s mostly younger guys who got hurt for us and LSU.