Alright, we’re 10-8 after 6 SEC weekends

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Lemonis has probably saved his job just from this weekend's results.

Its Going Down GIF by Philips Norelco

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Air Force and Evansville weren't bad. Going 5-1 in those two series is solid. Getting swept by Austin Peay was terrible. Georgia Southern was a good series. Splitting the Biloxi games wasn't horrible. Playing 3 vs. Mt. St Mary's plus the mid-week SWAC tour gave us way too many sub 275 games. Add in Central Arkansas and we have 7 games against the worst third of college baseball. When 28% of your non-conference games are against the worst 30% of the sport, it kills the RPI.
These are the reasons we ain't gonna host. We took a chance when we tried to schedule wins, and it's ended up costing us.

Then we blew 3-4 SEC games. So here we are.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If we make postseason, I wouldn't say gain more support, but I also wouldn't voice that he be fired. To support him, I would say win a regional.
That’s fair, and considering that we’re coming out of one of the worst 2-year stretches in the modern era of State baseball, being a 2 seed in any regional is a positive step forward. That said, the fact that we’re talking about simply making the postseason as being a positive thing 3 years removed from a title should tell people why so many are still rightfully irritated with Lemonis. You don’t just wash away two years of ineptitude by making a regional when you’re at the helm of this program

I think you’re right, though. Most will put the pitchforks down for awhile if we get in as a 2 seed, but support is a different topic entirely. We’re still talking about bare minimum expectations here

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think you’re right, though. Most will put the pitchforks down for awhile if we get in as a 2 seed, but support is a different topic entirely. We’re still talking about bare minimum expectations here
Polk 2 territory. Folks will quit caring.

However, I liken it back to 1987 when we first build DNF, after capitalizing on 84 and 85. We had the great years in 89 and 90, then went through a malaise for about 5 years after that, and attendance didn't really fall. I think so many were just enamored with the new stadium and wanted to be a part of it. Hopefully we have the same thing happen now. I mean, all the dates line up, just 30 years later.

I will say that at least Polk pulled in a top class in 1995 that went on a run. We didn't really enter the true 'no care' territory until about 7-8 years after that. So really we're not in Polk 2 area, more like 'almost retired Polk 1' area.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Plenty of teams host with RPI’s above 20. It’s just what the NCAA is going to do to share host sites across regions of the country and conferences. But not SEC teams. There are plenty of those SEC options in the Top 20.
This isnt right. Not one team above 20 hosted last season.

14 of the 16. Were inside the top 16. Then the 17 and 19 team hosted.

We wont host period with an RPI in the 30s, let alone 40s.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I think best case scenario is we are a 2 seed in a mid-major hosted Regional. Coastal, Indiana State, UCSB, something like that.

My expectation is Tallahassee for the billionth time or maybe Clemson.
I would love clempsom or coastal. Both would be a road trip.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
We are not firing him if he makes the tournament, nor should we.

Missing the tournament three years in a row would be the gray area.

I believe we will be a 2-seed somewhere and give somebody hell.
Missing the tournament 3 years running is not a gray area.
In truth, there’s not a ton of gray area this year. Maybe if you sneak in as a 3 seed and look bad in the regional it would be questionable but for the most part, tourney=back, no tourney=coaching search.
All that said, we’re in a good spot to make the tournament.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Look at this and you go, if I had known this would happen, I would have been excited for the possibilities at the start of the season.

I did not think this team would have top half hitting and pitching at this point of the year. Then fielding is right there at the top as well. It is concerning the lack of power numbers being close to the bottom of the SEC which plays out in runs scored being less than avg's indicate. The other issue is saves. Only 5 for the year compare to 19 for ARK. Without a legit closer, you lose close games as we have done.

This team should not have lost some of the games it lost but to think it can't win one in any series anywhere vs anyone is wrong. Time to win some games and position yourself as the best 2 seed you can be and if you host, then our fans get rewarded. This team can win a regional provided it is at a lower 1 seed.

1713792714849.png
1713792738444.png
1713792827768.png

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
These are the reasons we ain't gonna host. We took a chance when we tried to schedule wins, and it's ended up costing us.

Then we blew 3-4 SEC games. So here we are.
615 and Goat agree on something. The world is healing.

This schedule was about winning games, not hosting. With the non-conference results, it would have taken 18-12 in the SEC to get into the top 30 in RPI. Let's just rejoice that this looks like a good opportunity for a 2 seed, and I don't see many non-SEC potential hosts that scare me. The best in college baseball is in the SEC, no doubt.

The three best non-SEC hosts are the ACC teams:
Clemson
Florida State
North Carolina

Oregon State is probably unlikely.

East Carolina, Indiana State, UCSB, Coastal and DBU are all places we can win. The S curve right now has us at Coastal Carolina. I know the NCAA doesn't do a true curve, but that's where we sit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msuirondawgs

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Look at this and you go, if I had known this would happen, I would have been excited for the possibilities at the start of the season.

I did not think this team would have top half hitting and pitching at this point of the year. Then fielding is right there at the top as well. It is concerning the lack of power numbers being close to the bottom of the SEC which plays out in runs scored being less than avg's indicate. The other issue is saves. Only 5 for the year compare to 19 for ARK. Without a legit closer, you lose close games as we have done.

This team should not have lost some of the games it lost but to think it can't win one in any series anywhere vs anyone is wrong. Time to win some games and position yourself as the best 2 seed you can be and if you host, then our fans get rewarded. This team can win a regional provided it is at a lower 1 seed.

View attachment 562433
View attachment 562435
View attachment 562436
How dare you bring proper perspective to this forum of vent and anguish

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our SEC schedule to this point was much, much, much more difficult last year. Our big SEC wins to date have turned out to be not so big.
LSU and Florida are sitting with RPIs in the 30s. Georgia and Mississippi are both highly inflated in the top 25. And Auburn somehow with an RPI in the 40s, and higher than ours. Weakest SEC schedule I can remember us playing for at least 25 years.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The sweep was huge this weekend. I believe that gives us a good chance to have at least 16 sec wins.

16 wins and Lemonis and team deserves all our support. Even if we don't host, a 2 seed somewhere is nice.
Also @pseudonym corrected and convinced me, Lemonis deserves all the credit for that NC.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
The sweep was huge this weekend. I believe that gives us a good chance to have at least 16 sec wins.

16 wins and Lemonis and team deserves all our support. Even if we don't host, a 2 seed somewhere is nice.
Also @pseudonym corrected and convinced me, Lemonis deserves all the credit for that NC.
New York Yankees Thumbs Down GIF by MLB

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
SEC has some bad teams this year. Worse than my recent memory but I think the teams are talented. Who knew transferring players can disrupt the processes of a coach knowing his team?

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Lemonis has probably saved his job just from this weekend's results.
I think Lemonis likely has saved his job for this year pending a collapse down the stretch that leaves us home. That being said, I could see Lemonis back in the cross hairs again next year because we will lose most all of our best players after this season and I'm not seeing anything proven behind them to take up the slack. We will need a massive portal haul just to be as good next year as we are this year.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Boyds World RPI Needs Report says we’d need to finish 12-3 or 13-2 to finish in the Top 32. And that’s to even have a prayer of hosting, most likely.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
I think Lemonis likely has saved his job for this year pending a collapse down the stretch that leaves us home. That being said, I could see Lemonis back in the cross hairs again next year because we will lose most all of our best players after this season and I'm not seeing anything proven behind them to take up the slack. We will need a massive portal haul just to be as good next year as we are this year.
Next year wont be pretty. Hope Im wrong

Reactions: patdog

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016

It's gonna be a NO for me Dog!

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon13

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I'm afraid we just wasted 2 years by not doing the inevitable 11 months ago.
This is the absolute truth and Pat is right.......Back to the bottom next year, then what? Why do today what you can put off and do tomorrow, right? That's the Mississippi State mantra.....

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The 2 losses at Florida after being up in the 9th still stick in my craw. We should have won both and then the Vandy series wouldn't look so daunting. I do like the pitching development other than Holcombe. He seems to be this year's version of Cerentola.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The 2 losses at Florida after being up in the 9th still stick in my craw. We should have won both and then the Vandy series wouldn't look so daunting. I do like the pitching development other than Holcombe. He seems to be this year's version of Cerentola.
I could be getting this wrong, but I think that T&L stated that we have 7 losses in games in which we carried a lead into the 8th/9th innings. Between UF, Austin Pea, and Air Force alone, that sounds about right.

And I typically hate the “If only” arguments, but it’s amazing where we’d be if we just had a reliable closer all year. Top 10 without a doubt

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I could be getting this wrong, but I think that T&L stated that we have 7 losses in games in which we carried a lead into the 8th/9th innings. Between UF, Austin Pea, and Air Force alone, that sounds about right.

And I typically hate the “If only” arguments, but it’s amazing where we’d be if we just had a reliable closer all year. Top 10 without a doubt

And without Stephen, we'd probably be at least 3 games worse in the SEC and everybody would be slicing Lemonis up for the BBQ. It really is a razors edge sometimes.

Reactions: onewoof and patdog

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
That doesn't count in our record, does it figure into RPI?
It most certainly does count as a non-conference game. It's just as important as any game on the schedule for RPI and wins and losses.

It's just not a conference game and has no bearing on SEC standings.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We can steal a game in Fayetteville with Khal or Jurrangelo, possibly. Not a given but I could see it.

I don’t see us sweeping Vandy but we could win two.
Agree. We've got very little depth on this team, either on the mound or at the plate/field. But one thing we do have is two solid starting pitchers. So we'll always be dangerous in the first two games of a series.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
We are not firing him if he makes the tournament, nor should we.

Missing the tournament three years in a row would be the gray area.

I believe we will be a 2-seed somewhere and give somebody hell.
No, probably not BECAUSE WE SHOULD HAVE FIRED HIS *** AFTER LAST YEAR'S FIASCO!!