Any of you investing gurus buying any physical gold or silver?

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I know gold is at an all time high so probably not the best time to buy but Costco is selling gold coins and bars essentially at market rate. I've tried buying the bars online and couldn't but was able
buy the coins but "only while supplies last"..........

Costco Gold.PNG

Attachments

• Costco Gold.PNG
    Costco Gold.PNG
    386.6 KB · Views: 6

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It’s very expensive to buy right now, but it’s only going to go up. inflation is going to continue to go up, as will PMs. ProbAbly a smart thing to have.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I know gold is at an all time high so probably not the best time to buy but Costco is selling gold coins and bars essentially at market rate. I've tried buying the bars online and couldn't but was able
buy the coins but "only while supplies last"..........

View attachment 562060
Depends on what your plan is. If you want something to barter after societal collaps...well it might be good for that but probably far less than people think and probably far down the list of your needs.

If it's as an investment, how do you plan to divest it? At what price? For what purpose (ie,to fund what at what future point?) How much of that purpose will this fund, and is that gain worth all the effort?

How will you store it?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Depends on what your plan is. If you want something to barter after societal collaps...well it might be good for that but probably far less than people think and probably far down the list of your needs.

If it's as an investment, how do you plan to divest it? At what price? For what purpose (ie,to fund what at what future point?) How much of that purpose will this fund, and is that gain worth all the effort?

How will you store it?
1713721383659.png
Read this and get back to us

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I don't....not that I think it's a bad investment. I just don't want to have to fool with it. My smallish allocation to gold is in the way of an Etf.

KeyserSoze1999

Aug 26, 2015
If trying to buy, take a look at JM Bullion - they have a good variety and pretty good pricing.Screenshot_20240421-130028_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421-130934_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421-130934_Gallery.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240421-130916_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421-130916_Gallery.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 5

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

How will you store it?
This. I inherited a large collection of silver coin. I'm not particularly interested in keeping it long term, but figuring out how to get a fair price for this stuff has been a pain in the butt.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't want metals because if I want to sell them, I will have to learn and make sure whoever I sell em to is only slightly 17ing me instead of fully 17ing me.

A mutual fund? That's easy- it shows the price and I say 'sell'.

Maybe that means I am lazy. Or maybe that means I just don't have the interest or capacity to do the deep dive I know is needed to ensure buying the metals is a smart purchase.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have a small amount of silver just as a hedge against a total collapse of society but I don’t have any gold. In 1880 an ounce of gold would buy you a new Winchester rifle, in 2024 an ounce of gold will buy you a new Winchester rifle. Gold really hasn’t appreciated, it just keeps up with inflation.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'm buying Eagles the rest of the year. Between stocks, real estate and crypto and PMs, silver is the last reasonably priced asset by any metric.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I’m a former gold bug. I used to hold physical bullion in a vault in my home.

I finally bit the bullet in 2018-19 and exchanged 100% of my gold for bitcoin.

“Frankly, if the gold bet works, the bitcoin bet will probably work better.”
- Stanley Druckenmiller - hedge fund manager

Besides outperforming gold, the properties of bitcoin make it considerably easier and safer to hold in a self-sovereign way.

Despite not holding any myself, I never fault anyone for holding gold. People who hold gold probably at least recognize the problems of our financial system, even if I think they have chosen a subpar solution. Gold will continue to have value for a long time. The demonetization will not happen over night.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I have a small amount of silver just as a hedge against a total collapse of society but I don’t have any gold. In 1880 an ounce of gold would buy you a new Winchester rifle, in 2024 an ounce of gold will buy you a new Winchester rifle. Gold really hasn’t appreciated, it just keeps up with inflation.
Sorry but that's just not an accurate statement........Now guns, I know a little more about than gold and you can buy 2 or 3 Winchester rifles for $2500, depending on what you get........A model 70 will run you about $1200 to $1300 depending on the grade and exact model........

Reactions: msudawg200

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
17 Gold.....i currently own .78 bitcoin that ive been trading up and down with $1K.....to hell with gold...Bitcoin isn't going anywhere...

Reactions: PBDog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
One OUNCE of silver will hold its value no matter what paper fiat degenerates to. If it’s 28 dollars now, in two years your 28 dollars might be worth 14 dollars but your one OUNCE of silver will still be worth 28 dollars in purchasing power.

Pretty amazing that a silver dime in 1930 would buy a half gallon of gas and it will buy 1 gallon of gas today.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Sorry but that's just not an accurate statement........Now guns, I know a little more about than gold and you can buy 2 or 3 Winchester rifles for $2500, depending on what you get........A model 70 will run you about $1200 to $1300 depending on the grade and exact model........
Maybe Winchester was a bad example because Winchester is no longer on the cutting edge of firearms production but in the late 1800‘s an ounce of gold would buy you the latest and greatest firearm. I paid $2600 last year for a new Benelli shotgun.

Reactions: Tsunhater

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
One OUNCE of silver will hold its value no matter what paper fiat degenerates to. If it’s 28 dollars now, in two years your 28 dollars might be worth 14 dollars but your one OUNCE of silver will still be worth 28 dollars in purchasing power.

Pretty amazing that a silver dime in 1930 would buy a half gallon of gas and it will buy 1 gallon of gas today.
If our currency 'degenerates', we are in a royal 17 of a situation and people that are carrying around silver to pay for things will sad to find out it will be worth whatever the people with stuff you need say it's worth.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Our currency is degenerating, rapidly. Silver coins won’t be a bad thing to have in your pocket. if there is a war in the Middle East what will a barrel of oil be ? How high Will inflation be ? It’s already high.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Either way, don’t try to game credit card rewards with gold bars…

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
i’m not sure it has kept up with inflation.

#bitcoinmaxi

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Either way, don’t try to game credit card rewards with gold bars…

Link backs up what I said earlier: it's a niche market dominated by cranks. The price is only loosely tied to the fundamentals, it's much more a bet on the psychology of the cranks.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Our currency is degenerating, rapidly. Silver coins won’t be a bad thing to have in your pocket. if there is a war in the Middle East what will a barrel of oil be ? How high Will inflation be ? It’s already high.
They won't be a bad thing, but will they actually be a beneficial thing?
I mean, are you suggesting we should soon all walk around with actual silver in order to buy food, clothing, car repairs, etc? Like, everyone is going to soon suddenly start accepting silver as currency and payment?

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
They won't be a bad thing, but will they actually be a beneficial thing?
I mean, are you suggesting we should soon all walk around with actual silver in order to buy food, clothing, car repairs, etc? Like, everyone is going to soon suddenly start accepting silver as currency and payment?
and that’s why bitcoin is gold 2.0

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Today the world's gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.) At $1,750 per ounce -- gold's price as I write this -- its value would be $9.6 trillion. Call this cube pile A.

Let's now create a pile B costing an equal amount. For that, we could buy all U.S. cropland (400 million acres with output of about $200 billion annually), plus 16 Exxon Mobil's. After these purchases, we would have about $1 trillion left over for walking-around money (no sense feeling strapped after this buying binge). Can you imagine an investor with $9.6 trillion selecting pile A over pile B?

Productive land grows wealth​

A century from now the 400 million acres of farmland will have produced staggering amounts of corn, wheat, cotton, and other crops -- and will continue to produce that valuable bounty, whatever the currency may be. Exxon Mobil will probably have delivered trillions of dollars in dividends to its owners and will also hold assets worth many more trillions (and, remember, you get 16 Exxon's). The 170,000 tons of gold will be unchanged in size and still incapable of producing anything. You can fondle the cube, but it will not respond.

Our country's businesses will continue to efficiently deliver goods and services wanted by our citizens. Metaphorically, these commercial "cows" will live for centuries and give ever greater quantities of "milk" to boot. Their value will be determined not by the medium of exchange but rather by their capacity to deliver milk. Proceeds from the sale of the milk will compound for the owners of the cows, just as they did during the 20th century when the Dow increased from 66 to 11,497 (and paid loads of dividends as well).

Agriculture land produces crops

I believe that over any extended period of time this category of investing will prove to be the runaway winner… More important, it will be by far the safest.

--Warren Buffett in his 2011 shareholder letter. Since that time... Gold is up 32% and the S&P 500 is up 294%.

Reactions: Boom Boom