Anyone know what our NIL budget is for …..

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
football?
If I had to guess it’s in the 6-7 million per year range.
Ole Miss is going to spend 14-16 million in NIL.
Have no idea what the the other top SEC schools will spend but it’s in that range or some will spend more - A&M, Bama, UGA.
Until someone puts a stop to this it’s an uphill battle.
It’s gotten beyond ridiculous and everyone knows it but how to you now dial that back?
Even if State is part of a 64 team Mega Conference divided into 8 sub conferences, we still can’t compete with the top money schools and that’s just wrong.
It shouldn’t be about money but somehow, someway it has become ALL about the $$.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
football?
Have no idea what the the other top SEC schools will spend but it’s in that range or some will spend more - A&M, Bama, UGA.
It’s gotten beyond ridiculous and everyone knows it but how to you now dial that back?
Even if State is part of a 64 team Mega Conference divided into 8 sub conferences, we still can’t compete with the top money schools and that’s just wrong.
It shouldn’t be about money but somehow, someway it has become ALL about the $$.
We are fine. Everyone needs to stop with the defeatist attitude. Let’s hire some progressive coaches and see how things go before we throw in the towel.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
football?
we will be fine. OM went all in for this year, but their level of giving over the past year isn't sustainable. they'll regress right back down to where they've historically been when the money dries up. and it will

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
football?
I hate to tell you this, but this has been happening for 50 years, now it's just legal. We've been outbid forever. We've consistently punched well above our weight since Mullen (and occasionally before that) we'll get back to 8 wins/year with an occasional run at the playoffs. We're playing money ball, we won't challenge year in and year out, but we never have.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
OM outbid TN for a DL this signing season. TN has promised a QB $8 million.

OM has always spent more than us. However we always had the ncaa to slap them back down. The ncaa doesn't have that power any longer.

We have a young energetic coach. He seems motivated and to be working hard. We shall see what transpires next signing day.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No idea what the budget is but I saw this tweet earlier this morning…

Over $860K raised in a fundraiser for
NC State’s NIL.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
OM has always spent more than us. However we always had the ncaa to slap them back down. The ncaa doesn't have that power any longer.
By the mid 2010s the NCAA was running out of juice enforcement wise, it still pisses me off we self imposed the draconian sanctions after tutor gate, when other schools had done much worse and fought the NCAA and got no penalties.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I hate to tell you this, but this has been happening for 50 years, now it's just legal. We've been outbid forever. We've consistently punched well above our weight since Mullen (and occasionally before that) we'll get back to 8 wins/year with an occasional run at the playoffs. We're playing money ball, we won't challenge year in and year out, but we never have.
This is exactly the case. It's just out in the open now. The bigger difference than in the past is the portal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our ability to throw that punch has been greatly diminished now that you have to pay your own players to stay, due to the portal. So you basically can't develop the Mullen way (or it's at least a lot more expensive).

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
2001 Ford Mustang Price, Value, Ratings & Reviews | Kelley Blue Book
Best Buy: Chili's $10 Gift Card (3-Pack) Chili's $20 Gift Card MP

Mississippi State University Maroon Varsity Jacket

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Be patient and have faith. Our day will come. Actually I'm more pessimistic about the impact of NIL on our program than any coach we hire. Coaches can do only so much when others are able to buy players we can't.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Our ability to throw that punch has been greatly diminished now that you have to pay your own players to stay, due to the portal. So you basically can't develop the Mullen way (or it's at least a lot more expensive).
I think we can still compete at a Mullen type level. Sure we'll have good players leave for bigger payday, but there'll always be second team guys from Bama/UGA/ etc., looking to transfer to programs like us. We just need to work the portal and I bet Levee understands that.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I think we can still compete at a Mullen type level. Sure we'll have good players leave for bigger payday, but there'll always be second team guys from Bama/UGA/ etc., looking to transfer to programs like us. We just need to work the portal and I bet Levee understands that.
The one thing that worries me by following the Mullen path is Mullen would develop these players and they would be Mississippi State guys. It's hard to get these athletes to buy in when they are looking to possibly leave the next year.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
There is no more Mullen path. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think buffing 2 star coal into diamonds is going to happen. Even the scrub guys are wanting a payday now and they aren’t sticking around if someone is willing to pay them to move on.

Hell y’all are wanting Jans and Lemons to buy new teams each year yet wanting football to be stuck 10+ years ago in development hell? Coaches aren’t even going to stick around long enough nowadays to develop a class for 4-5 years.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There is no more Mullen path. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think buffing 2 star coal into diamonds is going to happen. Even the scrub guys are wanting a payday now and they aren’t sticking around if someone is willing to pay them to move on.

Hell y’all are wanting Jans and Lemons to buy new teams each year yet wanting football to be stuck 10+ years ago in development hell? Coaches aren’t even going to stick around long enough nowadays to develop a class for 4-5 years.
Yep.

Folks here criticized Mike Leach for many things but one thing he was absolutely correct when he started coaching here was that MSU could no longer be a developmental program and compete.

And then came the NIL in the coffin.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

You can do it, but you have to get innovative, but you need a coach like Leach, who has a calling card/niche, and actually understands the system. And I'll throw out your comment about Jans and Lemonis, surely you realize how much more expensive football is, on the whole?

Will we be developing our own players as much? Probably not, at least over a number of years. But if we do spend money on football NIL, that's where it should go.

As for transfers, we need to get specific in a few areas:

- MS JUCOs;
- Blue blood bench, like @greenbean.sixpack said;
- G5 teams.

If I'm staffing up, I'm putting it into the analyzation/recruitment of those areas, yearly. Find the athletes that suit our system. But you have to be specific about it, because there's not as much value there as it used to be in JUCOs, and we've gotten mixed results with the JUCO benchwarmers. I'm guessing we'd have to pay the G5 stars, but maybe we can find value if we are plugging our holes.

The key is - we are selling playing time in the SEC/Big 2/whatever, within driving distance.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
No one really has a calling card or a niche anymore. The Paul Johnsons and Mike Leach's are gone. Even Mullens calling card is over and done with. And the guys that have tried to follow their paths are gone as well.

All these younger coaches are trying to springboard to bigger jobs.. this includes Lebby. They are trying to be the next innovative guy. The next Kiffin, Huge F, etc.

Plus the calling card or niche guys are basically guys who are going to have a low ceiling.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No one really has a calling card or a niche anymore. The Paul Johnsons and Mike Leach's are gone. Even Mullens calling card is over and done with. And the guys that have tried to follow their paths are gone as well.

All these younger coaches are trying to springboard to bigger jobs.. this includes Lebby. They are trying to be the next innovative guy. The next Kiffin, Huge F, etc.

Plus the calling card or niche guys are basically guys who are going to have a low ceiling.
Bleh, that's bullshlt, there are always guys out there trying to do things differently.

But by all means, let's keep trying to do things the blue blood way, in an even MORE uneven playing field than ever before.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Bleh, that's bullshlt, there are always guys out there trying to do things differently.

But by all means, let's keep trying to do things the blue blood way, in an even MORE uneven playing field than ever before.
ok. Name a few niche guys that are out there with a calling card. Who are established enough to lure talent this way. I'll hang up and listen....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
ok. Name a few niche guys that are out there with a calling card. Who are established enough to lure talent this way. I'll hang up and listen....
Older guys like Leach, with name recognition: Rich Rod, Malzahn, Fritz, Kelly

I don't know the younger guys, mainly because I don't keep up like I used to, but obviously Chadwell.

Who is talking about "luring talent away"? I posted my 3 sources for transfers. As usual, you're trying to poke any hole you can and run with it, as if it would disqualify my point.

You're an idiot if you don't think there aren't coaches out there trying anything possible to innovate their offensive scheme, especially now.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

I don't know the younger guys, mainly because I don't keep up, but obviously Chadwell.

Who is talking about "luring talent away"? I posted my 3 sources for transfers. As usual, you're trying to poke any hole you can and run with it, as if it would disqualify my point.
Right older guys. Older guys who havent been successful at all of late, and who frankly the game has passed them by, so they have been forced to lesser roles at big schools, or head caoching jobs at smaller schools.... and as i said, who have very low ceilings if they came here.

Youll have to lure the talent in from a P5 or the portal. But i agree we have to be good there. The JUCO thing is dead and gone. The portal killed JUCO transfers in every sport. Its not worth wasting time or resourcing on. The best juco players seem to be role guys at best at major colleges.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

None of those guys would be considered niche with the possible exception of Fritz and that’s because he’s perceived more as a particularly creative dinosaur.

Youll have to lure the talent in from a P5 or the portal. But i agree we have to be good there. The JUCO thing is dead and gone. The portal killed JUCO transfers in every sport. Its not worth wasting time or resourcing on. The best juco players seem to be role guys at best at major colleges.

JUCOs are going to be niche in the way Academies were in the 80s and 90s— places where you find good linemen with the occasional unicorn like Paul Ott Carruth.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can do it, but you have to get innovative, but you need a coach like Leach, who has a calling card/niche, and actually understands the system. And I'll throw out your comment about Jans and Lemonis, surely you realize how much more expensive football is, on the whole?

Will we be developing our own players as much? Probably not, at least over a number of years. But if we do spend money on football NIL, that's where it should go.

As for transfers, we need to get specific in a few areas:

- MS JUCOs;
- Blue blood bench, like @greenbean.sixpack said;
- G5 teams.

If I'm staffing up, I'm putting it into the analyzation/recruitment of those areas, yearly. Find the athletes that suit our system. But you have to be specific about it, because there's not as much value there as it used to be in JUCOs, and we've gotten mixed results with the JUCO benchwarmers. I'm guessing we'd have to pay the G5 stars, but maybe we can find value if we are plugging our holes.

The key is - we are selling playing time in the SEC/Big 2/whatever, within driving distance.
Bringing in backups from the elite schools hasn’t really worked out as good as you would think. You’re typically not bringing in 2nd string players cause those guys are getting playing time. Yours bringing in their recruiting busts.

Reactions: HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right older guys. Older guys who havent been successful at all of late, and who frankly the game has passed them by, so they have been forced to lesser roles at big schools, or head caoching jobs at smaller schools.... and as i said, who have very low ceilings if they came here.

Again, BS, it's out there, we just have to commit to that route.

Or keep doing what we've always done and getting the same results. Actually, probably worse. NIL has helped some of these middling/upper middling schools with big corporate donors, and pushed us farther down.

Enjoy the ride!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
None of those guys would be considered niche with the possible exception of Fritz and that’s because he’s perceived more as a particularly creative dinosaur.

JUCOs are going to be niche in the way Academies were in the 80s and 90s— places where you find good linemen with the occasional unicorn like Paul Ott Carruth.
Disagree, they are big time niche. All have innovative run game schemes. There aren't a ton of these guys, and that's the point - you're going against the grain.

You will still need to use JUCOs. There are one of the few advantages and strengths MS brings to the table.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bringing in backups from the elite schools hasn’t really worked out as good as you would think. You’re typically not bringing in 2nd string players cause those guys are getting playing time. Yours bringing in their recruiting busts.
greenbean advocated for that, not me. I said above that it gets you mixed results and you have to be very specific with a 'need'.

Reactions: patdog

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
There'll Come a Payday should be our 4th quarter song. Let's fly Baby Billy in to lead us all in signing it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

JUCOS are places to get fill in OLman at best.. not good ones.... the best JUCO guys at any position are usually just role guys at good programs at best.

and agree. None of the coaches above are niche coaches. They run, while others pass, and thats why none of those coaches have been able to get over the hump. They have refused to change with the times... and thus have been relegated to lesser jobs.

but hey.. lets go hire them so we can be different.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
JUCOS are places to get fill in OLman at best.. not good ones.

and agree. None of the coaches above are niche coaches. They run, while others pass, and thats why none of those coaches have been able to get over the hump and have been relegated to lesser jobs.
They didn't get over the hump? Are you on crack? Rich Rod was a game from the playoff. Malzahn and Kelly actually went to the national title game. Fritz has won all kinds of games on various levels.

That's sort of the point of niche coaches, they are often used to neutralize gaps, so obviously they'll never rise to the level of the blue bloods consistently.