Anyone know what our NIL budget is for …..

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They didn't get over the hump? Are you on crack? Rich Rod was a game from the playoff. Malzahn and Kelly actually went to the national title game. Fritz has won all kinds of games on various levels.

That's sort of the point of niche coaches, they are often used to neutralize gaps, so obviously they'll never rise to the level of the blue bloods consistently.
are you on crack? This is/was 15 years ago. The game has changed and they didnt change with it is the point.

Malzham went from Auburn to UCF, and struggled in his first season back playing p5 programs. But he's your best option on the list. But he wasnt good enough at Auburn for whatever reason.
Kelly again was successful 15 years ago, was a 500 football coach at UCLA and is now at OC.
Rich rods most succesful years were 20 years ago, since then its been a downward spiral to so now hes coaching at Jax State
Despite his past two seasons at Tulane where fritz went (23-4) his record at tulane is .500

So your niche coaches: Malzhan, Kelly, Rich Rod-- all were very good coaches 15-20 years ago-- none changed with the times-- none are having any real success at a level that matters anymore.

Fritz hasnt wont anything on various levels. He's never been in a p5 conference. He's been at two schools. If you are interested in hiring a guy that coaching 10 years, never been at a power 5 school, and barely has a record above 500. Then more power to you.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
are you on crack? This is/was 15 years ago. The game has changed and they didnt change with it is the point.

Malzham went from Auburn to UCF, and struggled in his first season back playing p5 programs. But he's your best option on the list. But he wasnt good enough at Auburn for whatever reason.
Kelly again was successful 15 years ago, was a 500 football coach at UCLA and is now at OC.
Rich rods most succesful years were 20 years ago, since then its been a downward spiral to so now hes coaching at Jax State
Despite his past two seasons at Tulane where fritz went (23-4) his record at tulane is .500

So your niche coaches: Malzhan, Kelly, Rich Rod-- all were very good coaches 15-20 years ago-- none changed with the times-- none are having any real success at a level that matters anymore.

Fritz hasnt wont anything on various levels. He's never been in a p5 conference. He's been at two schools. If you are interested in hiring a guy that coaching 10 years, never been at a power 5 school, and barely has a record above 500. Then more power to you.
"changing with the times" has nothing to do with those coaches. You're just attempting to sound smart.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
REALLY???

all the coaches you mentioned werent "niche" coaches at their time of success. They were actually very much innovative at the time

Both Kelly and Malzhan had offense that were ahead of their times. Kelly with the fast pace, Malzhan with the creativity. Same with Rich Rod who had a heavy option, running QB style.

Defenses adjusted to those offenses... and their success rate has dropped to the point where they dont win at nearly the same rate.

They didnt change with the times. And their system doesnt win enough to keep them at power jobs... Rumor out of OSU is Kelly wont even be running "his" offense at OSU...so again, he's having to change his ways to be successful and keep his job because the old ways have proven to not work as well.

Sep 15, 2009
we will be fine. OM went all in for this year, but their level of giving over the past year isn't sustainable. they'll regress right back down to where they've historically been when the money dries up. and it will
And it is a great move by them. Go all in now before they start regulating this, or adopt a system more like the pros with salary caps, trades, etc. I don't know if it will work, but now is the time to try to buy a NC. Imagine if Dallas Cowboys could operate in that world. Of course, Jerry would even 17 that up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again. If their style works in todays games. Why arent the at Power schools being successful?
Niche coaches aren't really needed at blue bloods who can out recruit everyone and run the mainstream stuff. But they probably could be successful given the right fit/culture. Auburn and Malzahn worked well before the boosters got involved and started telling him who to recruit. Rich Rod was trending up at Michigan, again boosters get involved. Then he got in trouble with the girl or whatever. Kelly was lazy and didn't want to recruit. Fritz is doing fine.

Plus, as illustrated, many blue bloods just don't want to have to resort to doing things differently. They want to out-spend others (like we are trying to do currently).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And it is a great move by them. Go all in now before they start regulating this, or adopt a system more like the pros with salary caps, trades, etc. I don't know if it will work, but now is the time to try to buy a NC. Imagine if Dallas Cowboys could operate in that world. Of course, Jerry would even 17 that up.
Ole Miss has the folks that want to do it, and have for a long time. Big difference between them and us. Before NIL/portal, boosters like that were sort of handcuffed by having the threat of probation always there, so it was still kind of about culture of the program, support, facilities, getting to the league, etc., which kept Ole Miss from the blue bloods. But boom....now, no stigma.

I'm afraid Arkansas might be next, even though they might be slightly limited simply by being Arkansas. Believe or not, I actually think Ole Miss has a decent football culture. They have kind of a Clemson vibe going on, even though they aren't an Ag/Tech school. It's weird.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Niche coaches aren't really needed at blue bloods who can out recruit everyone and run the mainstream stuff. But they probably could be successful given the right fit/culture. Auburn and Malzahn worked well before the boosters got involved and started telling him who to recruit. Rich Rod was trending up at Michigan, again boosters get involved. Then he got in trouble with the girl or whatever. Kelly was lazy and didn't want to recruit. Fritz is doing fine.

Plus, as illustrated, many blue bloods just don't want to have to resort to doing things differently. They want to out-spend others (like we are trying to do currently).
Rich rod went 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 at Michigan. The 3 years before Rich Rod got to michigan they were 7-5, 11-2, 9-4. Rich Rod never worked out at Michigan

Malzhan never had an issues with the Boosters. The program made a change b/c they were tired of being in a middling stance and didnt think he could get them back to the top. Despite 8 years of 8-9 wins season, he could, you guessed it, never get over the hump.

Lots of excuses for football coaches that simply couldnt and havent got it done in a very long time, and are now struggling to have success at levels lower than power5

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Ole Miss went out and got an innovative offense coach. Ahead of the times. And a coach that is ahead of the times in terms of social media, branding, etc.

As long as Kiffin stays ahead of the times.. they'll be fine.

Thats the key. Have to catch lighting in a bottling with a coach thats up and coming. We blew the kiffin hire here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rich rod went 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 at Michigan. The 3 years before Rich Rod got to michigan they were 7-5, 11-2, 9-4. Rich Rod never worked out at Michigan

Malzhan never had an issues with the Boosters. The program made a change b/c they were tired of being in a middling stance and didnt think he could get them back to the top. Despite 8 years of 8-9 wins season, he could, you guessed it, never get over the hump.

Lots of excuses for football coaches that simply couldnt and havent got it done in a very long time, and are now struggling to have success at levels lower than power5
Seriously, stop. You don't even understand the concept of a niche offense. Of course Rich Rod had to tear down the offense, because that's how you install niches. Bottom line is, Michigan shouldn't have hired him, because they weren't willing to do that. Michigan also went 10-2 the year after he left, because Brady Hoke was at least smart enough not to immediately abandon what had been built, unlike Arnett's dubmass.

I'm done here. It's all good, you don't understand the concept, and most MSU fans don't. That's why Leach wasn't appreciated, even though he didn't have to entirely tear down the roster, because Moorhead had already started a trend away from a run-based offense.

At any rate, you all got what you wanted. Hail &tate

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ole Miss went out and got an innovative offense coach. Ahead of the times. And a coach that is ahead of the times in terms of social media, branding, etc.

As long as Kiffin stays ahead of the times.. they'll be fine.

Thats the key. Have to catch lighting in a bottling with a coach thats up and coming. We blew the kiffin hire here.
Kiffin is just mainstream stuff like a lot of coaches, same as we are. Difference is, they went and bought players.

Kiffin's strength is organization and getting the best players in the right spots, similar to Mullen's. Pretty good QB developer too, not as good as Danny.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Seriously, stop. You don't even understand the concept of a niche offense. Of course Rich Rod had to tear down the offense, because that's how you install niches. Bottom line is, Michigan shouldn't have hired him, because they weren't willing to do that. Michigan also went 10-2 the year after he left, because Brady Hoke was at least smart enough not to immediately abandon what had been built, unlike Arnett's dubmass.

I'm done here. It's all good, you don't understand the concept, and most MSU fans don't. That's why Leach wasn't appreciated, even though he didn't have to entirely tear down the roster, because Moorhead had already started a trend away from a run-based offense.

and in 3 seasons of his niche offense. They were never successful. Hence why a niche offense doesnt work unless your trying to win 8 games.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Kiffin is just mainstream stuff like a lot of coaches, same as we are. Difference is, they went and bought players.

Kiffin's strength is organization and getting the best players in the right spots, similar to Mullen's. Pretty good QB developer too, not as good as Danny.
lol OK. Kiffin is one of a kind with social media. No one does social media like Kiffin.

Kiffin's strength is his offensive mind. He's been ahead of the curve everywhere hes been and more importantly he's been able to stay infront of the curb. Sometimes 2-3 steps ahead of it. As long as this keeps up, they'll be fine.

Difference in Kiffin and Mullen is Kiffin changed with the times, thats why he still has a job. Mullen didnt at Florida. Now hes on ESPN.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd love to win 8 games. We aren't going to do that anytime soon.
Rich Rod wasnt able to do it at Michigan in 3 years. Doubt it would work here.
In 8 years at Tulane, Fritz has won 8 twice
Kelly won 8, 3 of 6 years in UCLA
Leach did it once in 3 years here.

Id say taking our shot with a young and up and comer isnt a bad card to play. We'll see if it works out. History has shown getting a offensive guy on the way up works out well (malzhan early auburn years, hugh at ole miss, kiffin at ole miss, mullen, the young urban meyer at florida), not saying lebby is that guy, but its worth taking a shot on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rich Rod wasnt able to do it at Michigan in 3 years. Doubt it would work here.
In 8 years at Tulane, Fritz has won 8 twice
Kelly won 8, 3 of 6 years in UCLA
Leach did it once in 3 years here.

Id say taking our shot with a young and up and comer isnt a bad card to play. We'll see if it works out. History has shown getting a offensive guy on the way up works out well (malzhan early auburn years, hugh at ole miss, kiffin at ole miss, mullen, the young urban meyer at florida), not saying lebby is that guy, but its worth taking a shot on.
Looking at sheer record, and not taking into account the circumstances around programs, is keeping yourself intentionally ignorant. I already explained it to you once. He who has ears, let him hear.

I understand your point of view, you don't have to keep repeating it. I think it's narrow-minded, just my opinion.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
football?
If I had to guess it’s in the 6-7 million per year range.
Ole Miss is going to spend 14-16 million in NIL.
Have no idea what the the other top SEC schools will spend but it’s in that range or some will spend more - A&M, Bama, UGA.
Until someone puts a stop to this it’s an uphill battle.
It’s gotten beyond ridiculous and everyone knows it but how to you now dial that back?
Even if State is part of a 64 team Mega Conference divided into 8 sub conferences, we still can’t compete with the top money schools and that’s just wrong.
It shouldn’t be about money but somehow, someway it has become ALL about the $$.
It’s been over for us for about 50 years. This just confirms it and speeds it up. We will never compete at the top level consistently. Neither will Ole Miss. it’s not really college sports anymore anyway.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Looking at sheer record, and not taking into account the circumstances around programs, is keeping yourself intentionally ignorant. I already explained it to you once. He who has ears, let him hear.

I understand your point of view, you don't have to keep repeating it. I think it's narrow-minded, just my opinion.
I understand yours. Its just outdated thinking and the wrong way to go about it. Just my opinion.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I understand yours. Its just outdated thinking and the wrong way to go about it. Just my opinion.
Your ilk has made decisions for MSU all throughout history. How high do you think your average offensive assistant coach is actually going to take us, in this day and age?

And how can trying and adapt and find a niche be outdated? It's the very definition of dealing with the here and now.

Your method is simply keeping up with the Jones. Which, if you're poor, leads to you ensuring you stay on the bottom of the food chain.

Nope, the only ways out of this is to remove yourself from the cycle, or make more money so you can conquer it. I don't see the latter happening, unless Hardy gets involved, along with all our current NFL players, and couple more MSU alumni create the next Amazon or something.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Your ilk has made decisions for MSU all throughout history. How high do you think your average offensive assistant coach is actually going to take us, in this day and age?

And how can trying and adapt and find a niche be outdated? It's the very definition of dealing with the here and now.

Your method is simply keeping up with the Jones. Which, if you're poor, leads to you ensuring you stay on the bottom of the food chain.

Nope, the only ways out of this is to remove yourself from the cycle, or make more money so you can conquer it. I don't see the latter happening, unless Hardy gets involved, along with all our current NFL players, and couple more MSU alumni create the next Amazon or something.
have ears. Heard you. Doesnt make it any smarter. Still and obtuse and outdated way of thinking. Just my opinion of course

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

You continue to show you have zero clue about football especially when it comes to modern day football. You listed some true has been in Kelly and Rick Rod and then a damn near 70 year old Fritz who just hired Kevin Barbay as his OC….
Rich Rod not only failed at Michigan he also failed at Arizona or did you overlook that in the research??
You want a niche offense? You want something that’s different yet innovative yet also brings physicality to the offense?? Well guess what that the offense Lebby brings. But again you have zero clue guru.

Reactions: HuntDawg
Jan 4, 2024
Ole Miss has the folks that want to do it, and have for a long time. Big difference between them and us. Before NIL/portal, boosters like that were sort of handcuffed by having the threat of probation always there, so it was still kind of about culture of the program, support, facilities, getting to the league, etc., which kept Ole Miss from the blue bloods. But boom....now, no stigma.

I'm afraid Arkansas might be next, even though they might be slightly limited simply by being Arkansas. Believe or not, I actually think Ole Miss has a decent football culture. They have kind of a Clemson vibe going on, even though they aren't an Ag/Tech school. It's weird.

17 OM and especially their culture.

Jan 4, 2024
By the mid 2010s the NCAA was running out of juice enforcement wise, it still pisses me off we self imposed the draconian sanctions after tutor gate, when other schools had done much worse and fought the NCAA and got no penalties.

By the mid 2010s the NCAA was running out of juice enforcement wise, it still pisses me off we self imposed the draconian sanctions after tutor gate, when other schools had done much worse and fought the NCAA and got no penalties.
Was "Tutor Gate" that deal at the Ed Center? If so it happened at the e same time a woman was embezzling millions for ND players but the NCAA did nothing cuz she was not an alum. Being of Irish descent, ND had long been a 2nd team for me but that ended immediately and I've hated them ever since.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
O.K. The thread started with "if I had to guess" and had an "I don't know," love the honesty, and "we'll be fine" optimism. Anyway, does anyone actually know what the NIL budget is, I mean really know, or is it just about guesses and feels? How much cash do we have available to sign and keep athletes? I have no idea. I suspect it's significantly less than Ole Miss. That's an educated guess. I don't actually know.