Baseball Prediction Thread - State @ Arkansas

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

patdog

May 28, 2007
We win 1 to keep hosting hopes alive. Very few runs scored as we split games 1 and 2. Arkansas wins pretty big in game 3.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
No way in hell we win game 1 against Hagen Smith. Our best chance is to throw Khal in game 2, and Loo in game 3. I think we get one, and hope we can outhit them to maybe steal a 2nd win.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Our best chance is to throw Khal in game 2, and Loo in game 3.

Can't move them back because next weekend is a Thrus-Fri-Sat series (They'd lose 2 days off their normal routine). The rotation is set for the rest of the season/postseason.

Reactions: NukeDogg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Can't move them back because next weekend is a Thrus-Fri-Sat series (They'd lose 2 days off their normal routine). The rotation is set for the rest of the season/postseason.
You could pitch it 3-1-2 this weekend and next weekend. They'd lose only 1 day off their normal rest, which is nothing. Really, even pitching Saturday-Thursday or Sunday-Friday is no big deal. It's the normal rotation professional pitchers have used for decades.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
You could pitch it 3-1-2 this weekend and next weekend. They'd lose only 1 day off their normal rest, which is nothing. Really, even pitching Saturday-Thursday or Sunday-Friday is no big deal. It's the normal rotation professional pitchers have used for decades.
Yea, sort of amazing how 'babied' college pitchers are normally starting only once per week whereas major league pitchers routinely go on 4 days rest yet we still have an epidemic of arm injuries in college. As far as this weekend I think we will either win Game 2 or if we don't, get swept. Game 1 against Arkansas is almost a lost cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Pitch it Auger-Khal-Loo against Arkansas and against Mizzou too. We should be able to win 2 (and honestly should win all 3) against Mizzou no matter who we throw. And then when we roll into Hoover, throw Ligon or Pico in Game 1 if Auger's not ready. If we win round 1, maybe go Auger game 2 and save KS/Loo for 3/4, or if we drop round 1 then go KS round 2.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Regardless, these are probably going to be 3 low scoring games. Arkansas offense is probably as "down" as any they've had in the past few years I can recall. Their BA is less than ours and they dont hit a bunch of HRs either. We might can get 2?!?!

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yea, sort of amazing how 'babied' college pitchers are normally starting only once per week whereas major league pitchers routinely go on 4 days rest yet we still have an epidemic of arm injuries in college. As far as this weekend I think we will either win Game 2 or if we don't, get swept. Game 1 against Arkansas is almost a lost cause.
College pitchers dont have the time available to be able to bounce back as quickly. There is a "mandatory" off day required in the NCAA. Plus your talking at times 18-19 year old as oppose to a 30 year old. Even minor league arms arent really pushed to that 4 days rest equation until they get closer to the big leagues.

Friday to Friday is normal. Giving back one day is OK to go Satruday-Friday for example. 2 days just wont and cant really happen.

I dont think you adjust the rotation. Its just like most every Friday night in the SEC.. ace vs ace... that said if I were going to adjust anything. It would be moving CJ to Sunday.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Pitch it Auger-Khal-Loo against Arkansas and against Mizzou too. We should be able to win 2 (and honestly should win all 3) against Mizzou no matter who we throw. And then when we roll into Hoover, throw Ligon or Pico in Game 1 if Auger's not ready. If we win round 1, maybe go Auger game 2 and save KS/Loo for 3/4, or if we drop round 1 then go KS round 2.
Just doesnt make a lot of sense to me.. to throw off your #1 pitchers schedule to dodge Smith. I'm sure Khal is chomping at the bit to go head to head with Smith. Gotta let him roll out there. If we lose we lose, but I'd keep him on the exact schedule hes on.

Write him in permanent ink game 1 every 7th day and leave it be... and id do the same thing in Hoover. He'd get the thursday or friday game there and be ready to go Game 1 either thursday/friday in the regional.

Reactions: ronpolk

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
The SEC Tournament starts the Tuesday after the Missouri series. We arent going to go 3-1-2 vs Missouri with the SEC Tournament stating just a few days later. If fact, Lemonis addressed all this on his call in show last week. Someone called in and asked him about the rotation because we pitched Loo on Sunday vs Vandy. He specifically mentioned he had to get them back in order on the correct days prior to Missouri series in order to have them setup for postseason.

It's the normal rotation professional pitchers have used for decades.
But professional pitchers have specifically trained and setup their routines for pitching once every 5 days. These college guys have set their entire training habits around pitching once every 7 days. It's not worth it to mess with that so close to postseason.

Reactions: HuntDawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Just doesnt make a lot of sense to me.. to throw off your #1 pitchers schedule to dodge Smith. I'm sure Khal is chomping at the bit to go head to head with Smith. Gotta let him roll out there. If we lose we lose, but I'd keep him on the exact schedule hes on.

Write him in permanent ink game 1 every 7th day and leave it be... and id do the same thing in Hoover. He'd get the thursday or friday game there and be ready to go Game 1 either thursday/friday in the regional.
I agree…. It’s such a loser mentality to even think of not throwing your ace in game 1. Statistically these are 2 of the best pitchers in the SEC… don’t be scared. Give your guy a chance to show he belongs.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
For me tonight anyways, what would be the over/under for combined K's between Hagen and Khal? I'll say 20. Get ready for a bunch

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Think we get swept unfortunately. Will lose low scoring game tonight,, then things could snowball from there. Not so fun fact,, Mershon+Hines+Jordan are a combined 3 for 41 career (.073 average) against Arkansas.