Beamer’s gonna need A LONG TIME

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
I also watched players quit, like completely obvious! Who is paying the bills here? We have coaches on sideline clapping there hands as we get pummeled 45-0. Players on sideline laughing. Disgraceful
If players don't care, why should fans? Players laughing on the sidelines as USC is being totally embarrased sounds like a Sparky Woods team. Those laughing never need to see the field again.
Funny that some sports' mouths picked USC to upset Ga. They may be better than last year.

Reactions: Palmetto Sun 2001

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I used to listen to the 2 hour pregame show on the radio, watch the 3 1/2 hour game, then listen to the 2 hour postgame show.

Yesterday, didn't listen to the pregame show, fell asleep in the 3rd Qtr, and damn sure didn't listen to the postgame show.

Ray Tanner has no business still being our AD. Our mens programs went to crap under his watch.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Once a coach goes 3 or 4 seasons without putting a team on the field that looks good enough to challenge for a shot at a championship it gets hard to recruit any top athletes. If Beamer doesn't get it turned around next season the bloom will be off the rose and it will be Muschamp 2.0.
BINGO!!! It was an epic screw up by Beamer not to have the guts to weed out the weak links on his staff after last season. He has never had prior FBS Head Coaching experience, much less successful such experience like Spurrier did, for recruits to give him the benefit of the doubt. If I was Beamer, I'd give Satterfield the boot today and make Justin Stepp the interim OC. If he works out....great. If not, then go out and get the best OC with successful OC experience available. Dabo Swinney would not put up with such ineptitude.

Last edited:

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
BINGO!!! It was an epic screw up by Beamer not to have the guts to weed out the weak links on his staff after last season. He has never had prior FBS Head Coaching experience, much less successful such experience like Spurrier did, for recruits to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Nice guys finish last. The days of John Wooden are long gone.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Nice guys finish last. The days of John Wooden are long gone.
Exactly. Like I added to that comment: if I was Beamer, I'd fire Satterfield today and make Justin Stepp the interim OC. If he works out...great. If not, then go out and get the best available OC with successful OC experience who would come here to work for $900,000/year.

Reactions: KingWard

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
To turn this around. He’ll need 3-4 years just to learn how be a head coach, another 3-4 years to firmly establish growth, and maybe by year 8 or 9, he’ll have a real contender. But are willing to give him that time? Realistically, we have to break the 5 year revolving door with this guy, because he’s just too green for unreasonable expectations.
8-9 YEARS ????
If he can't figure it out by year 4, then it is just not going to happen. By year 4 it's all his players and staff, that is definitely the demarcation line. Unless of course the benchmark/goal is to be satisfied with an average of 6 wins a year. (Note: when SEC goes to 9 conference games a year, you will lose 1 cupcake game a year, so 6 wins just got pushed a little farther out)

Reactions: Palmetto Sun 2001
Sep 17, 2022
8-9 YEARS ????
If he can't figure it out by year 4, then it is just not going to happen. By year 4 it's all his players and staff, that is definitely the demarcation line. Unless of course the benchmark/goal is to be satisfied with an average of 6 wins a year. (Note: when SEC goes to 9 conference games a year, you will lose 1 cupcake game a year, so 6 wins just got pushed a little farther out)
Facts! And if you continue to lose in absolute beatings, I wouldn’t even give it 4 years.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Do they have a college flag football league? Linemen don't really matter. Let Juju Juju. We might win a few.

BigJC

Aug 5, 2022
I agree 100% and I so afraid that this is going to be the case. If we don't lose a few recruits because of this ugly game Play it will be a miracle.
One ugly loss won't make a recruit decommit but a season of losses will. The stadium emptying out starting at halftime couldn't have impressed the recruits that were there yesterday. The student section was mostly empty by the middle of the third quarter. I wonder if any of the recruits we hosted decided they were more interested in UGA watching yesterday?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Facts! And if you continue to lose in absolute beatings, I wouldn’t even give it 4 year
With Texas and OU joining the league, the financial windfall from ESPN will enrich the financial bottom line. I do not know the current financial health of the Athletic Department and the university. But once significant ESPN money is in the pipeline, I suspect that will make Year 3 crunch time for Beamer. By Year 3, you know what you got in a Head Coach. You don't need to see what he does with his recruits to know whether he gets the most out of the talent on hand. By that time, you will know how he manages the program, how he does on game day, etc. That's what I think. But, for all I know, the university may be giving lip service to football and just happy to collect checks.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
8-9 YEARS ????

I was hoping he was joking about the 8-9 years.

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
I was hoping he was joking about the 8-9 years.
No, you guys aren’t understanding. I never endorsed giving him 8-9 years; I think that’s what he NEEDS. Tanner knows Beamer is green, and still hired him! That means Tanner is completely invested in a multiyear building project. Don’t think so? Then you’re giving Tanner credit for being a good AD, which he’s not.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Frank Beamer's record in his first six seasons was 24-40-2, a win percentage of .385. After the team went 2–8–1 in 1992, athletic director Dave Braine believed in Beamer and thought he deserved more time. It proved to be a wise decision; the Hokies would not suffer another losing season under Beamer's watch. At his hall of fame induction, Beamer said he would have been unlikely to survive his early years had he been coaching in the 2020s. Frank Beamer amassed an overall record of 238–121–2 (.663) in his 29 years at the school. His teams went to postseason play after every season from 1993 until his retirement in 2015.

View attachment 235361

Given a chance, let's hope his son follows in his dad's footsteps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Frank Beamer's record in his first six seasons was 24-40-2, a win percentage of .385. After the team went 2–8–1 in 1992, athletic director Dave Braine believed in Beamer and thought he deserved more time. It proved to be a wise decision; the Hokies would not suffer another losing season under Beamer's watch. At his hall of fame induction, Beamer said he would have been unlikely to survive his early years had he been coaching in the 2010s. Frank Beamer amassed an overall record of 238–121–2 (.663) in his 29 years at the school. His teams went to postseason play after every season from 1993 until his retirement in 2015.

View attachment 235361

Stale.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Frank Beamer's record in his first six seasons was 24-40-2, a win percentage of .385. After the team went 2–8–1 in 1992, athletic director Dave Braine believed in Beamer and thought he deserved more time. It proved to be a wise decision; the Hokies would not suffer another losing season under Beamer's watch. At his hall of fame induction, Beamer said he would have been unlikely to survive his early years had he been coaching in the 2020s. Frank Beamer amassed an overall record of 238–121–2 (.663) in his 29 years at the school. His teams went to postseason play after every season from 1993 until his retirement in 2015.

View attachment 235361

Oh, I think Beamer II will be afforded every bit as much leniency as his daddy was. There's no hurry to win.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

View attachment 235361

Nice story. But, this happened 30 years ago.
With the escalation of coaches salaries that kind of leniency is no longer available. (whether that is good or bad is another discussion)

treyno2722

Joined Dec 20, 2004
Feb 3, 2022
I’ve been coming since 1983. I’m now 45. Minus 84 and spurrier going 33-6 in a 3 year span , I guess I’ll never see us be great. I’m sitting in the fairgrounds in my car staring into thin air as I type
Dude, it's just a game. Go get some Bojangles. It'll be fine.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Nice story. But, this happened 30 years ago.
With the escalation of coaches salaries that kind of leniency is no longer available. (whether that is good or bad is another discussion)
I agree. I’m not cool with paying the coach seven figures for on the job training, but nevertheless Shane should’ve learned what he needed to learn last year.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
To turn this around. He’ll need 3-4 years just to learn how be a head coach, another 3-4 years to firmly establish growth, and maybe by year 8 or 9, he’ll have a real contender. But are willing to give him that time? Realistically, we have to break the 5 year revolving door with this guy, because he’s just too green for unreasonable expectations.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
I’m not the deciding power or anything. But Beamer should have like 3 years to at least get us ranked in the top25 consistently with consistent improvement. If by his 3rd season we suffer blowout loses like the recent UGA game…. Or last years the Clemson game…… Then I hope to wish him well in his future endeavors.

treyno2722

Joined Dec 20, 2004
Feb 3, 2022
In all honesty, Carolina should have been 4-8 last year. They had to overcome a lead at East Carolina and then had to score in their last possession vs Vandy. Before the year, I told anyone who would listen that 6-6 would be an improvement. I can't believe how fickle football fans can be. Let Shane Beamer go, here's a guy who wants to be here. He called it his dream job. Who are you going to get? Do you think people are falling over themselves to come here. Get over yourself.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
In all honesty, Carolina should have been 4-8 last year. They had to overcome a lead at East Carolina and then had to score in their last possession vs Vandy. Before the year, I told anyone who would listen that 6-6 would be an improvement. I can't believe how fickle football fans can be. Let Shane Beamer go, here's a guy who wants to be here. He called it his dream job. Who are you going to get? Do you think people are falling over themselves to come here. Get over yourself.

I agree that it's too soon to let Beamer go, but I object to the "who would you get" argument.

We hired a position coach that no one else would touch as a HC. If that is the new low bar, there are dozens of position coaches who would fall over themselves to "want to be here" and be a head coach. Much less lower level HC's or coordinators.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
With the crazy money in college football now, there is no long leash for anyone. It's 3-4 years, tops in most cases. Willie Taggart got 2 years at FSU. The Auburn folks very nearly got Harsin fired after his first season. Odds are, he won't be back for a 3rd. Tx Tech fired their coach after 3 seasons. Miami fired Manny Diaz after 3 seasons. Temple and CSU fired their coaches after 3 and 2 season, respectively.

treyno2722

Joined Dec 20, 2004
Feb 3, 2022
With the crazy money in college football now, there is no long leash for anyone. It's 3-4 years, tops in most cases. Willie Taggart got 2 years at FSU. The Auburn folks very nearly got Harsin fired after his first season. Odds are, he won't be back for a 3rd. Tx Tech fired their coach after 3 seasons. Miami fired Manny Diaz after 3 seasons. Temple and CSU fired their coaches after 3 and 2 season, respectively.
My take on that is this: I don't care who you hire to come to Carolina they won't build a SEC contender in 2-3 years. I'll go back all the way to Brad Scott. He was a hot shot Offensive Coordinator at FSU and thought he could bring that to Carolina. He was able to get us our first ever bowl win and then proceeded to go 1-21 his last two years. Then we had the re-tread in Lou Holtz. He got us two Outback Bowls and then a rapid decline. Then Spurrier with the best three years in Carolina history and then the same decline as Holtz. Muschamp never got it rolling. It takes years to build a winner especially in the state of South Carolina. The problem with the state of South Carolina is the amount of quality football players here. They have to go to Georgia, Florida, etc.. to get talent. It's a tough sell. Somehow Dabo was able to do it but Carolina hasn't.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
My take on that is this: I don't care who you hire to come to Carolina they won't build a SEC contender in 2-3 years. I'll go back all the way to Brad Scott. He was a hot shot Offensive Coordinator at FSU and thought he could bring that to Carolina. He was able to get us our first ever bowl win and then proceeded to go 1-21 his last two years. Then we had the re-tread in Lou Holtz. He got us two Outback Bowls and then a rapid decline. Then Spurrier with the best three years in Carolina history and then the same decline as Holtz. Muschamp never got it rolling. It takes years to build a winner especially in the state of South Carolina. The problem with the state of South Carolina is the amount of quality football players here. They have to go to Georgia, Florida, etc.. to get talent. It's a tough sell. Somehow Dabo was able to do it but Carolina hasn't.
Yep, I agree. It's just that the necessary time to build a winner here isn't compatible with the current model in college football. Everyone wants to catch lightning in a bottle.

treyno2722

Joined Dec 20, 2004
Feb 3, 2022
Ok, here's our wins: Charlotte, SC State, Vandy, and hopefully Mizzou. That will get us to 5. Still need one other win to make a bowl game from these opponents: Tennessee, UF, Clemson, Texas A&M, and Kentucky.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Ok, here's our wins: Charlotte, SC State, Vandy, and hopefully Mizzou. That will get us to 5. Still need one other win to make a bowl game from these opponents: Tennessee, UF, Clemson, Texas A&M, and Kentucky.

Thank goodness for 4 built-in wins. Though, I wouldn't pencil in Vandy as a win just yet. They are improved over recent seasons.

Reactions: treyno2722

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Totally agree. He's energetic, players like him and want to play for him, he connects well with recruits and he wants be here and take us where we all want to be. Give him the support he needs to get it done. What he did last year raised expectations and Shane's goal is to get there as soon as possible.

Latest posts