bs rule that pitcher must declare which arm

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
if you have that ability you should be able to switch arms every pitch. the same goes for the batter. why work both side

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I think that rule came from a situation in the past where the pitcher and batter just kept switching back and forth and no pitch was ever thrown for a while.
Yeah, batter declares first which way he'll bat and cannot change after that. Then pitcher declares second which arm he will throw with. Then it's set for that batter. Next batter resets and all over again. I think that's fair.

Reactions: eckie1 and AFDawg

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I think that rule came from a situation in the past where the pitcher and batter just kept switching back and forth and no pitch was ever thrown for a while.
About to post the same. I was looking for the gif.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Hitter gets final decision, which I hate obviously. Switch pitching is so much rarer than switch hitting, the pitcher should have the “advantage” by declaring second

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Hitter gets final decision, which I hate obviously. Switch pitching is so much rarer than switch hitting, the pitcher should have the “advantage” by declaring second
I don’t particularly care which is rarer. But it seems like the rules would have already declared whether the pitcher or batter is obligated to set up for the next pitch first. Whoever is obligated to set up first seems it seems logical they have to pick a side, unless I guess they are pitching out of the windup.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think a thread has been started in SPS each year for the last decade.

It would be neat if pitcher and batter could switch from pitch to pitch, but it's impractical.
It would be funny to see how it would play out with a pitch clock!

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I think the rule favors the pitcher. He gets to decide which arm he would rather pitch with to that batter, and the batter can't make him change.

Would I rather pitch right handed to this guy batting lefty, or vice-versa?

Also, the switch hitter shouldn't be forced to face a pitcher throwing to him from the same side of the plate, since that's why he became a switch hitter in the first place.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
if you have that ability you should be able to switch arms every pitch. the same goes for the batter. why work both side
The pitcher should have to be set and ready to pitch. (ETA: once he's set, balk rules apply, so he can't really change his set.) If he can throw from either arm without tipping it, props to him and give him the advantage. Simultaneously, the batter should have to be set and ready to swing. That that means he can't switch sides is just tough ****. With the pitch clock rules, this will work whereas before it would not. They shouldn't need to declare anything, just subject to the clock.