Can we talk about Scotch on here?

DeZeier

Jan 25, 2022
Asking for a friend. Looking for a $40 bottle. Thinking Naked Grouse. Unless yall have better suggestions.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
What brands do they drink? Scotch has a wiiiiide range on the palate.

Reactions: IrishRogue

DeZeier

Jan 25, 2022
What brands do they drink? Scotch has a wiiiiide range on the palate.
I typically stick with the Highland region. Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Glenlivet and Highland Park are the "big brands" I like

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
The 12 yr Macallen double cask runs right around $45 or so and it a pretty good bang for the buck. Tomatin 12 is around that price point and has some nice bourbon notes for a scotch. Highland 12 yr is another good one at that price point that is probably in that same profile.

I don't know if the gift is for a newbie, but Glenmorangie makes a pretty nice sampler pack for about $30 that's nice for someone getting into Scotch. It includes Glenmorangie Orig, Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'Or and Lasanta.

GR82baspartan

Nov 30, 2022
The 12 yr Macallen double cask runs right around $45 or so and it a pretty good bang for the buck. Tomatin 12 is around that price point and has some nice bourbon notes for a scotch. Highland 12 yr is another good one at that price point that is probably in that same profile.

I don't know if the gift is for a newbie, but Glenmorangie makes a pretty nice sampler pack for about $30 that's nice for someone getting into Scotch. It includes Glenmorangie Orig, Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'Or and Lasanta.
Agree re the Macallan 12. Had some tonight.
Great value for your money.

It's my #2, plain ol sipping s m scotch, after my fave Aberlour.

,,,cheers

Reactions: Amoseo and MLU

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
I'm a scotch hound. With the state of the economy I choose something that's really cheap for quality juice, and it completely exceeded my expectations. Compass Box Artist Blend. A non-peated blend that is a goldilocks crowd pleaser.

Reactions: MLU and DeZeier

GR82baspartan

Nov 30, 2022
Asking for a friend. Looking for a $40 bottle. Thinking Naked Grouse. Unless yall have better suggestions.
Just opened up an early bird Christmas gift: Received the
Whiskey Advocate Fall ' 22 magazine.

As its Editor's Choice: "This issue's most impressive whiskies considering score, price and availability."
Blended Scotch.
Dewar's 12 year old, 40%, $30
93 Points ( on their ratings system)

(Also received a bottle. Tastes good, no ice)

,,,cheers

Reactions: MLU and DeZeier

DeZeier

Jan 25, 2022
Just opened up an early bird Christmas gift: Received the
Whiskey Advocate Fall ' 22 magazine.

As its Editor's Choice: "This issue's most impressive whiskies considering score, price and availability."
Blended Scotch.
Dewar's 12 year old, 40%, $30
93 Points ( on their ratings system)

(Also received a bottle. Tastes good, no ice)

,,,cheers
I’ve been enjoying a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. But will look at Dewars 12.

Reactions: MLU

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Glenfiddich 12 is something I usually always have around if I’m in the mood for Scotch. Inexpensive, balanced, available everywhere.

I usually stick to the Highlands & Speyside variety, but here & there I like a peat bomb.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I enjoy Irish whisky such as Powers or Green Spot and bourbon such as Makers Mark but have never gotten into scotch and know nothing about it. Can someone enlighten me about how the taste differs and what if any I might enjoy given my taste preferences for a lighter smoother or sweeter tasting spirit? I suppose I just never saw the need to try scotch given that I enjoy these other whiskys but now I’m wondering if I’m missing something. Thanks

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
I enjoy Irish whisky such as Powers or Green Spot and bourbon such as Makers Mark but have never gotten into scotch and know nothing about it. Can someone enlighten me about how the taste differs and what if any I might enjoy given my taste preferences for a lighter smoother or sweeter tasting spirit? I suppose I just never saw the need to try scotch given that I enjoy these other whiskys but now I’m wondering if I’m missing something. Thanks

Without getting too deep… It’s mostly about regions where it’s made. If you stick to Highlands & Speyside’s & look a proof you should be able to stay away from the heavy smokey, peaty, iodine’ish things that come from let’s say, the Islay region.

Macallan, Glen-just-about-anything, Balvenie, & Aberlour are some off the top of my head. Find something in the 80 proof range to keep it “lighter.”

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I could be wrong, but I *think* Makers Mark send all of their used barrels to Laphroaig.

GR82baspartan

Nov 30, 2022
Without getting too deep… It’s mostly about regions where it’s made. If you stick to Highlands & Speyside’s & look a proof you should be able to stay away from the heavy smokey, peaty, iodine’ish things that come from let’s say, the Islay region.

Macallan, Glen-just-about-anything, Balvenie, & Aberlour are some off the top of my head. Find something in the 80 proof range to keep it “lighter.”
Picked up my liking for scotch decades++ago
I avoid Peaty scotch.

So recently received pre Christmas present:
Couple of Crystal Tumblers. (First ever)
Decided to enjoy bit of Aberlour tonight in a tumbler.

Believe in the future I'll set aside my Gencairn glass's and enjoy my better scotches in my new glasses as if I were flying first class.
(Which I never have.)

,,,cheers

Reactions: GarnetAndGucci

IrishRogue

Dec 2, 2021

If you want to challenge your palate a bit, Craigellachie 13 is amazing. The style of still they use leaves a heavy sulfur in the mother spirit. It ages well in the barrel, 46% abv, no color non-chill filtered. No peat, but definitely funky.

Also a big fan of anything Glengoyne, they have a $40 price range bottle. Sherry aged, less funk, just a nice deep flavor. Also no color added, non-filtered.

If you’re buying for a new Scotch drinker the Macallans and Glenmorangie are fine products, but I’d venture away from the big names for anybody with a developed cabinet. 40%/“chill filtered”/“color added” are all designed to appeal to newer drinkers. They are a good hook into the style.

Check out Ralfy (from the Bothy) on YouTube - he has over 900 reviews of various spirits (primarily Scotch single malt.) Just introducing a Scotch drinker to him is a gift…

IrishRogue

Dec 2, 2021
Picked up my liking for scotch decades++ago
I avoid Peaty scotch.

So recently received pre Christmas present:
Couple of Crystal Tumblers. (First ever)
Decided to enjoy bit of Aberlour tonight in a tumbler.

Believe in the future I'll set aside my Gencairn glass's and enjoy my better scotches in my new glasses as if I were flying first class.
(Which I never have.)

,,,cheers

Ralfy - good stuff.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
The Dalmore 12 year! It’s about $20 higher than the price cap. But it’s one of my favorite. One thing that I learned about Bourbon/Scotch/Whiskey is to try different ones to discover for yourself which you like.

Primarily to me Bourbon is king. But I like Scotch and Japanese Whisky also. Irish Whiskey and American Whiskey. Exploring them is one of my hobbies.

Last edited:

GR82baspartan

Nov 30, 2022
The Dalmore 12 year! It’s about $20 higher than the price cap. But it’s one of my favorite. One thing that I learned about Bourbon/Scotch/Whiskey is to try different ones to discover for yourself which you like.

Primarily to me Bourbon is king. But I like Scotch and Japanese Whisky also. Irish Whiskey and American Whiskey. Exploring them is one of my hobbies.
Good evening to all.

For the Momentito combining some all American chocolate chip cookies with a first try of

Limavady Single Barrel Irish Whiskey.

Taste great: both of them.

Believe the L V S B I W got a good review in recent Whisky Advocate magazine.

Merry Christmas to all.

,,,cheers

wcbrtee

Iowa Swarm member
Dec 27, 2022
Laphroaig is my favorite, if you like the more peaty scotch.

williamwill009

Jun 6, 2023
I am interested in learning about different types of alcoholic beverages, so I was interested in your thread about Scotch. Sometimes I want to pick the best liquor, so I go to the Costco Liquor Rankings and choose from the ones that got the highest ratings at Costco. It helps me in my choice, maybe it will be a good option for you too.

Last edited:
Reactions: GR82baspartan

seono01

Jun 7, 2023
SEO1st is a leading SEO agency based in Calgary that offers a range of digital marketing services to help businesses increase their online visibility and reach their target audience. Their team of experienced SEO professionals uses a data-driven approach to deliver customized solutions that are tailored to each client’s unique needs and goals. With years of experience in the industry, SEO1st has a proven track record of success, having helped numerous businesses achieve higher search engine rankings and increased website traffic. Contact with seo company in calgary today to learn more about their services and how they can help your business grow and succeed online.

jfarmervols

Sep 1, 2022
I have tried a lot of different scotch brands over the past 50 years. A lot of good ones and a few bad. My favorite expensive scotch is Johnnie Walker Blue for about $175 a bottle. You asked about a cheap scotch. You can’t beat the Kirkland scotch at Costco for $19.95 for a 1.75 liter bottle.
My latest new choice is a Tennessee whiskey- Uncle Nearest. It is awesome for around $50 a bottle. For any scotch or bourbon drinkers it is a must try.

GR82baspartan

Nov 30, 2022
I have tried a lot of different scotch brands over the past 50 years. A lot of good ones and a few bad. My favorite expensive scotch is Johnnie Walker Blue for about $175 a bottle. You asked about a cheap scotch. You can’t beat the Kirkland scotch at Costco for $19.95 for a 1.75 liter bottle.
My latest new choice is a Tennessee whiskey- Uncle Nearest. It is awesome for around $50 a bottle. For any scotch or bourbon drinkers it is a must try.
Five star , your post.

With inflation, believe the JW Blue up to $195 here in So Cal. It's a GR8 SM blend!

Yup re the Kirkland Blended scotch @ about $20

And at the moment like their $20 Canadian Whiskey.

Friday nights gotta go with 1B 1S. 1B

,,,cheers