Chili Dogs

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If a Chili dog is good, some would argue with that premise, why wouldn’t cutting up weiners in chili not be good? If probably seen the Hormel Chili commercial about a hundred times today.

was21

May 29, 2007
If a Chili dog is good, some would argue with that premise, why wouldn’t cutting up weiners in chili not be good? If probably seen the Hormel Chili commercial about a hundred times today.
Columbus GA is known for its scrambled dog...think it has oyster crackers, chili and beef dogs

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's like saying if having sex is good, we should break it up to one stroke at a time throughout the day.

The experience of the bun, chili and dog all at once is what makes a good chili dog (a long with fixings of your choice.) Weiners in a bowl of chili is going to give you too much chili, not enough dog, and no bread.

17 that. I want my chili dog and all 23 strokes at once.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
That's like saying if having sex is good, we should break it up to one stroke at a time throughout the day.

The experience of the bun, chili and dog all at once is what makes a good chili dog (a long with fixings of your choice.) Weiners in a bowl of chili is going to give you too much chili, not enough dog, and no bread.

23 strokes??!?? Quit bragging.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I've found that day-old or leftover chili is best. It's like many of my stewed meals... it's better the next day. Fresh onions, pickled jalapenos, or pickled peppers are a must.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
As with any multi ingredient dish, you have to give it time to let the flavors mingle and develop a flavor hierarchy.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

This. It’s all the textures, flavors, and temperature differences all at once that make it great. Like PB@J.

Put it in a pot all together and those subtleties get lost.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

I think I read something about a “maneuver” called the chili dog while perusing urban dictionary.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I love me a delicious hot dog with some good ole yeller mustard and maybe a little dill relish.

I love me some beef or venison chili, with beans (sacrilege) and lotsa Ancho Chili Powder.

I do not believe these two things are better combined in any way than they are separate.

Different strokes...

Reactions: The Peeper

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m gonna tell you where it’s at…

take a bag of frozen tater tots and arrange them in a single layer covering the bottom of one of those 9x13 glass baking pans.

take two packages of hot dogs and cut the hot dogs into coin shape slices and use them to cover the tater tots

cover all of that with chili. Use a generous amount.

smother all of that with a thick layer of cheddar cheese.

sprinkle chopped bacon on top of that.

bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour

i’ve also tried putting cheese over the tots in addition to the cheese on top of the chili, but i don’t think it adds much.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I almost got chili at the Waffle House this morning. Too hot for that though. Chili is a winter food. Now chili dogs, any time. Weird how that works. Hot dogs are more of a summer time food. Having a dog at a baseball game is about as American as it gets.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I almost got chili at the Waffle House this morning. Too hot for that though. Chili is a winter food. Now chili dogs, any time. Weird how that works. Hot dogs are more of a summer time food. Having a dog at a baseball game is about as American as it gets.

Ah yes, waffle house chili. It's actually called "Bert's chili". Trust me, I know my waffle house. I've had many a bowl (after leaving the local watering hole) at 2 a.m. in the morning along with hashbrowns (scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, topped and diced).

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
On a somewhat related matter, I saw a display this week at the SmallMart in Starkville of cans of Wendy's Chili?? I order it in Wendy's occasionally in winter but never thought, " oh yeah I wish they packed this shat in a can I could buy in Starkville every day"

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
On a somewhat related matter, I saw a display this week at the SmallMart in Starkville of cans of Wendy's Chili?? I order it in Wendy's occasionally in winter but never thought, " oh yeah I wish they packed this shat in a can I could buy in Starkville every day"
I love Wendy’s chili. I wouldn’t mind trying a can- but a can was $4.42 when a bowl at Wendy’s is only $3.19.