Chris Jans hates Starkville so much

Olegreyboy

Oct 13, 2022
We have, historically, been historically bad at hiring basketball coaches. So, that’s kind of a low bar.

I don’t hate the guy. But if he wants to leave, it will not be a wrecking ball to our program in the modern era of NCAA basketball.
We hired Babe McCarthy and his background was coaching a jr. high team in Tupelo.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
We hired Babe McCarthy and his background was coaching a jr. high team in Tupelo.
And we hired Williams, who was a math teacher in Pearl. And he hired Stans as an assistant. We got a lot out of all 3!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You’re acting like I said we could go steal a sitting P5 coach or something. Any given year, there are mid major coaches that come in and kill it somewhere.

He’s made first four in, and lost. Neat. Got murdered by a mediocre Meatchicken State team after being gifted a higher seed than I would have ever expected. Coolio. Also gave us the worst loss in program history. Not neat.

Be impressed all the 17 you want with the guy, I couldn’t care less. I’ve said we could do way worse. But, WHEN he leaves, it won’t be like when Mullen left and we knew we were gonna downgrade no matter what.
He has been in the tourney two years in a row. That pulling well above average for us, well above. The odds are overwhelming that we will revert back to average or worse with the next one.

Reactions: patdog

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
And you can’t get over the fact that I don’t need to name a 17ing coach for what I said to be true. Get over yourself.
“I know we can get a better coach! I have no idea who it might be but every year some mid major coach goes to a P5 program and does well, so I’m positive that would happen here!” You sound very dumb.

ETA: There’s also a lot of good mid major coaches who make the leap to P5 and fall on their faces. Coaching hires are a crapshoot for the most part.

Reactions: patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
“I know we can get a better coach! I have no idea who it might be but every year some mid major coach goes to a P5 program and does well, so I’m positive that would happen here!” You sound very dumb.

ETA: There’s also a lot of good mid major coaches who make the leap to P5 and fall on their faces. Coaching hires are a crapshoot for the most part.
This is where yours and OP’s dumb kicks in. You read what I said and took it to mean I said Jans is so shítty, we can only do better. With our NIL and P5 status, why is this guy the only one who could ever accomplish this?

I’ve given the guy his credit. I’m just not impressed with making 2 tourneys, one a first four in, and getting butt 17’d in both. And that whole single-worst loss in school history thing. COY?

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
I remember when I was a junior at State, Sherrill was making $950k. And that was football.
the times are a changing. And I’m getting older. And that guidance counselor really sucked at her job. Thanks

Reactions: Double Dawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It means you can’t 17ing decipher English, you tw@t. We have much better leadership now than we’ve had when we hired the other coaches.
Wait- you are saying good leadership is why we would be fine if Jans left?
WT17 does 'modern era of ncaa basketball' have to do with anything then? Why did you specify that?

In recent years, we had good leadership that has hired bad coaches.
Try again, Sport.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Wait- you are saying good leadership is why we would be fine if Jans left?
WT17 does 'modern era of ncaa basketball' have to do with anything then? Why did you specify that?

In recent years, we had good leadership that has hired bad coaches.
Try again, Sport.

Attachments

• IMG_3950.gif
    IMG_3950.gif
    952.5 KB · Views: 3

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
He's already better than any coach we've had not named McCarthy, Stansbury or Williams. And he's only been here 2 years. I'd rather take my chances with him than with whoever the next coach will be (whenever that is).
Ron Greene was a hell of a coach and had a hell of a team.

Reactions: tbaydog

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is where yours and OP’s dumb kicks in. You read what I said and took it to mean I said Jans is so shítty, we can only do better. With our NIL and P5 status, why is this guy the only one who could ever accomplish this?

I’ve given the guy his credit. I’m just not impressed with making 2 tourneys, one a first four in, and getting butt 17’d in both. And that whole single-worst loss in school history thing. COY?
I didn’t know missing the winning shot at the buzzer was getting butt 17’d.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Jans owns 2 of our 13 NCAA tournament appearances. And he's done that in his first 2 seasons. Batting 1.000. Color me impressed.

Nov 25, 2019
Jans wants out of Starkville. He heavily pursued numerous jobs this offseason - he just didn’t get them. It’s not a rumor.

I’m thankful he’s returning though. And, I’m genuinely curious why he wants out so bad. We seem like a good fit for each other.

I think both MSU and OM will be in basketball coaching searches very soon.
why did he not the other jobs?

BulldogLegacy

Feb 27, 2008
We have, historically, been historically bad at hiring basketball coaches. So, that’s kind of a low bar.

I don’t hate the guy. But if he wants to leave, it will not be a wrecking ball to our program in the modern era of NCAA basketball.
Tell me you don't know college basketball without telling me you don't know college basketball.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Susanp62

Nov 2, 2022
Jans wants out of Starkville. He heavily pursued numerous jobs this offseason - he just didn’t get them. It’s not a rumor.

I’m thankful he’s returning though. And, I’m genuinely curious why he wants out so bad. We seem like a good fit for each other.

I think both MSU and OM will be in basketball coaching searches very soon.
I think low attendance numbers in prime seating contributes significantly to coaches and players desire to play here. I’m glad they kept the hump but it would have been cool to leave it for the women, build a new rectangular arena for the men. Maybe once we get the baseball field paid off…