Confirmed CFP expanding in 2024 after agreement with Rose Bowl....

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
WRT PSU:
PSU would have only had to beat Pitt (or Michigan) in 2016 - Michigan State (or OSU) in 2017 - Minnesota (or OSU) in 2019 - OSU (or Michigan) in 2022 to be in the 4 Team "playoff"

They didn't, That sucked, from a PSU perspective, but that is what has transpired. WRT to PSU (and this would hold true for any of the teams in the marquise conferences, with VERY rare exceptions) they - not some sportswriters head - controlled their destiny.

Now, if in 2024 or beyond, they were to do something similar - but win the game they need to win in the regular season - their reward would NOT be a trip to the Final Four, it would be a December game, presumably in State College, with an unknown outcome.

A 4 team "semi-final" is, obviously, a zero-sum game. For every time one might make the Final Four when they otherwise wouldn't have, there will be someone NOT making the Final Four who otherwise would have. The "lesser" teams will likely see even fewer "Final Four" opportunities (case in point, TCU needs only to beat Kansas State to go to the Final Four. Under the "12 Team System", what would the odds be that they would get there? 1 in 5? Maybe? What chance would Cincinnati have had in 2021, to make the Final Four, under the "12 team" deal?)

Now, why are we seeing the 12 Team deal (which, for any other reason, makes the least amount of sense of any of the alternatives)? Money. Of course. Period.

Aside from those receiving the $$$, who else will be happy? Probably the fans who prefer a "minor league" NFL-feeder football system, with players wearing the names of various Universities on their jerseys - and that may very well be the majority of fans. If that is the case, good for them, seriously. They are the ones who, when you boil it all down, are paying for the product. That may just be what the market dictates, and that is fine (as far as I am concerned - not that it matters what anyone without skin in the game thinks)
I can't speak to why others might prefer the expanded format over the current CFP + bowl system but, in my case anyway, as a fan, there seems to be more, meaningful games.

Reactions: Midnighter

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Purdue would not get in. Assuming that they hold serve in their conference championship games, Tulane and UTSA (or maybe Boise State) would.

Big Ten would have to get in via the at-large route.

At-large? How many large will it take?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I can't speak to why others might prefer the expanded format over the current CFP + bowl system but, in my case anyway, as a fan, there seems to be more, meaningful games.

Yes, but suddenly mediocrity (10-2) should be good enough to get in the playoff.

Franklin can go 10-2, get in the playoff, and demand an extension/raise for making said playoff.

o_O

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Well, it CERTAINLY means more games. Without question. Doesn't take LionJim to figure out the math :)

And that is why it is happening (more games = more $$)
For fans who view college football as "NFL-lite" (and for Conference Czars, ADs, Coaches, Univ. Presidents, etc. who's only concerns are mo' money) - its a no-brainer - I would think. Even more so if they went to 16, or 24, or whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: LionJim

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
Yes, but suddenly mediocrity (10-2) should be good enough to get in the playoff.

Franklin can go 10-2, get in the playoff, and demand an extension/raise for making said playoff.

o_O
10-2 is not mediocrity. The expanded playoffs will be great for PSU.

Reactions: Pocono Lion

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Good thing this a random football message board and not where decision makers come to for solutions.
Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Well, it CERTAINLY means more games. Without question. Doesn't take LionJim to figure out the math :)

And that is why it is happening (more games = more $$)
For fans who view college football as "NFL-lite" (and for Conference Czars, ADs, Coaches, Univ. Presidents, etc. who's only concerns are mo' money) - its a no-brainer - I would think. Even more so if they went to 16, or 24, or whatever.
It's only more money if more people want it. If they didn't, nobody will pay the advertising fees that support the payment for broadcast rights that represents the major portion the money going to Conference Czars, ADs, Coaches, Univ. Presidents, BsOT ;), etc.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
How many were given the opportunity? Play the games on the field and not in sportswriter's heads and find out. What's the downside?
No down side Woodpecker, I just don’t think it changes much once it gets down to 4 teams. Than it would have been if you just selected 4.
Will it help the recruiting of teams? Maybe a little, I don’t think it’s will be dramatically different for PS.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
No down side Woodpecker, I just don’t think it changes much once it gets down to 4 teams. Than it would have been if you just selected 4.
Will it help the recruiting of teams? Maybe a little, I don’t think it’s will be dramatically different for PS.
I guess it comes down to whether you prefer existing bowl games over playoff games

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
It's only more money if more people want it. If they didn't, nobody will pay the advertising fees that support the payment for broadcast rights that represents the major portion the money going to Conference Czars, ADs, Coaches, Univ. Presidents, BsOT ;), etc.
No doubt. Definitely a market there, at least as of now.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The Athletic says under the new 12 team playoff format, 66 different schools would have made an appearance beginning in 1998. PSU 7 times (which is fewer than Wisconsin, TCU, Boise State, and Oregon among others). OSU would have been in the most with 18 appearances (Bama would have been in 13).

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
I guess it comes down to whether you prefer existing bowl games over playoff games
I’m not against expansion, I just don’t think teams 5-12 will get to the final 4 very often. It will happen and be refreshing when it does. I don’t think it changes recruiting much if your a team that gets there and gets smoked in round one like some claim.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I’m not against expansion, I just don’t think teams 5-12 will get to the final 4 very often. It will happen and be refreshing when it does. I don’t think it changes recruiting much if your a team that gets there and gets smoked in round one like some claim.

If you don’t think it will change recruiting, why do you think most top talent goes to Alabama year after year? Tuscaloosa night life? You can play football anywhere. You can prepare for the pros anywhere. You can go to bowls anywhere….you can’t go to the CFP anywhere. It’s one of about a half dozen schools, and they all have the best recruiting classes.

Reactions: Wow and psuno1

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Not a fan of auto bids for conference champions. Think UMs starting QB getting hurt and Purdue pulling the upset. Do they deserve to be in the playoff?
I'm a big fan of automatic bids and anything that removes the nonsensical subjectivity. It's ridiculous that teams do not know what exactly needs to be done to qualify when they build their schedules or start the season. The only surefire criteria is to go undefeated in a P5 conference. Anything else and it's a dog and pony show where your goal is more about impressing a stupid committee rather than simply winning the games on the schedule.

Every other pro sport has automatic bids. So what if Purdue were to make it, they would have earned it by winning the conference and if the Big 10 doesn't like having a 4 loss conference champ then it's on them to revise the way they choose a champion. The likelihood of a Purdue getting through 2-3 rounds of the playoffs would still be rare anyway, but as the champ of a P5 they should at least get the opportunity.

Give automatic bids to at least the P5s but I'd argue for every conference champ to either be included, or to be moved to a separate division apart from the P5s so we can stop pretending like G5s matter. Either give them a shot or make them FCS, Div-1AA, or whatever you want to call it. Keep a couple of at large spots for rare exceptions and use defined metrics like win percentage, schedule strength, etc. to award them, then do a single elimination bracket. Done.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I do think it is something we should consider when we are renovating or possibly rebuilding our stadium.
Something like a retractable roof makes a lot of sense in Happy Valley.
I don't agree with the retractable roof but PSU needs to do whatever it takes to ensure the stadium can host a potential December playoff game. This should be a non-negotiable investment given the new playoff rules. PSU getting the opportunity and opting not to host would be insane given the home environment and the boon to the local economy.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'm a big fan of automatic bids and anything that removes the nonsensical subjectivity. It's ridiculous that teams do not know what exactly needs to be done to qualify when they build their schedules or start the season. The only surefire criteria is to go undefeated in a P5 conference. Anything else and it's a dog and pony show where your goal is more about impressing a stupid committee rather than simply winning the games on the schedule.

Every other pro sport has automatic bids. So what if Purdue were to make it, they would have earned it by winning the conference and if the Big 10 doesn't like having a 4 loss conference champ then it's on them to revise the way they choose a champion. The likelihood of a Purdue getting through 2-3 rounds of the playoffs would still be rare anyway, but as the champ of a P5 they should at least get the opportunity.

Give automatic bids to at least the P5s but I'd argue for every conference champ to either be included, or to be moved to a separate division apart from the P5s so we can stop pretending like G5s matter. Either give them a shot or make them FCS, Div-1AA, or whatever you want to call it. Keep a couple of at large spots for rare exceptions and use defined metrics like win percentage, schedule strength, etc. to award them, then do a single elimination bracket. Done.

You mean you don’t like using ‘Best Loss’ and ‘Eye Test’ to select playoff teams!?

Reactions: ODShowtime

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
In your opinion, how many of those 35 teams (5-12) had the ability to Win 4 games against T10 competition?

Thanks
I don't understand this argument at all. Who cares? Let them settle it on the field and see what happens. This whole mindset of "these teams aren't good enough to win so they shouldn't be allowed to compete" is ridiculous. If that were true, let's just award championships based on recruiting rankings and skip the season entirely.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The question I have is will the schools hosting a playoff game in their own stadium be selling the seating themselves, will the conference, or the CFP organization? Also who/how are all the visiting teams going to be compensated for their travel expense.?
Home teeam will receive a fee for hosting the game that might include a percentage of the gate, parking, concessions etc. Bulk of the revenue goes to the CFP organization.

Currently, the CFP pays each participant in a CFP game $2.7mm+ for expenses. I expect that practice will continue, but that amounts will be less for the preliminary games.

Reactions: Hugh Laurie

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

We will agree to disagree.

The great thing about CFB over any other sport was how much the regular season means. Every game matters.

I don't want an 8-4 national champion no matter how much they "deserve" it. Don't lose 4 regular season games if you want in the playoff.

Nothing feels like a big regular season CFB game. Duke/UNC is cute, but when both are making the tourney, how much does it really matter? Michigan/OSU with the loser out of the playoff....no comparison. Think about what you lose in those types of games if both participants know they're in the playoff no matter the outcome.

I get the present system is a beauty contest, but you can't tell me that if it expands to 12 teams that any truly deserving teams are getting left out.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
If you don’t think it will change recruiting, why do you think most top talent goes to Alabama year after year? Tuscaloosa night life? You can play football anywhere. You can prepare for the pros anywhere. You can go to bowls anywhere….you can’t go to the CFP anywhere. It’s one of about a half dozen schools, and they all have the best recruiting classes.
Again if the same teams make it to the final 4, they still get the bulk of the recruits it all I’m saying

STL_Lion

Oct 12, 2021

my understanding is that B10 is moving to eliminate conferences.
This will result in top 2 teams in conference championship game. In most recent years this would eliminate the B10 west pretender. the tie breaker rules need to updated and well thought through to eliminate OSU - SCum bias.

Reactions: Midnighter

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
Do you realize a retractable roof will add $300M to an already ridiculous amount.

With the new BIG tv contract, each team will receive annual revenue between $80 million and $100 million.

So, financing an additional $300 million for a retractable roof would be easy for a major program like Penn State.

I think the idea is a good one.

Reactions: GreggK

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
With the new BIG tv contract, each team will receive annual revenue between $80 million and $100 million.

So, financing an additional $300 million for a retractable roof would be easy for a major program like Penn State.

Except that more than $50mm of that is currently distributed and spent by PSU.

But getting back to the subject of the roof, how about the financing for what goes under it?

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021

But getting back to the subject of the roof, how about the financing for what goes under it?
You mean the $ 1 billion to build the stadium? Who cares? The BOT (except for Barry) has long since forgotten about the word "fiduciary". They can spend as much as they want. After all, it's not their money!!!!

Oct 12, 2021

Maybe Populous could figure out a way to just plop a retractable roof on top of the current configuration. That would be AWESOME!

Getting back to the cost thing. As of now, it just doesn't add up. It would not seem possible without large donations from a group of supporters and/or a naming rights deal. What corporation would go for a naming rights deal in a "population center" this small?

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe Populous could figure out a way to just plop a retractable roof on top of the current configuration. That would be AWESOME!

Getting back to the cost thing. As of now, it just doesn't add up. It would not seem possible without large donations from a group of supporters and/or a naming rights deal. What corporation would go for a naming rights deal in a "population center" this small?

Already a good way there:

Just need six or so cranes to raise it.

Reactions: PSUFTG

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

It would be an interesting venture. However, in order to do it, prety sure significant structural support will be needed. And that may entail structural support outside the physical limits of the stadium. Which would be both aesthetically challenging as well as create an issue with pedestrian flow around the stadium.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021

Most of that money is already spent.

What hasn't yet been spent (because it hasn't yet been received) will be spent about one nanosecond after receipt - unless something changes drastically wrt fiscal management.

There are already a litany of unpaid debits in the ICA ledger - and a whole lot of stuff on the to-do list.

Summary: "Big Ten Media revenue", which has jumped extraordinarily in recent years (allowing PSU, and many other schools, to remain more or less solvent, when they otherwise would have been toast), won't come anywhere close to being close to being in the ballpark of financing a new stadium (or even the "roof" of a new stadium), the likes of which have been deliberated.

Latest posts