Cutting the cord... I know this has been asked previously but I am done with Spectrum

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
They offer unadvertised packages. Some sort of bottom line basic, which only offers local channels. BUT if you like their internet side u can get what ever stream service u want & piggyback……think that ultra basic comes in around $45.

They also have a “choice 15” ? …which supplies all locals & u pick 15 channels…..Offers all sports pkgs , but no sec network.😒. That comes in around $135.

now if you have to have a bunch of tv’s working or dvr boxes that cost can add up!

Regardless of which way u go, all these folks have u by the short hairs.
Best to get an antenna for local channels. No recurring monthly costs.

Get a streaming service to supplement local channel viewing, e.g., SlingTV. Makes no sense to subscribe to a service which includes local channels since you can view them Over-The-Air at no cost.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
So you don't watch network TV?
I do watch network TV - usually sporting events, occasionally the news. Commercials is the time to visit the kitchen or the toilet. Even during the Super Bowl. Yes, the commercials may be clever, but still, in principle, why do I want to purposely watch something where they're trying to sell me something?

And I do want to check out season 21 of Law and Order; thus, I'll be watching it Thursday evening via my outdoor antenna from the NBC affiliate here in Atlanta, WXIA-TV. And checking on WBB vs aTm too.

Last edited:

Garnetspur

Joined Jan 1, 2004
Jan 22, 2022
Is Carolina connect in Redbank area of Lexington.
Log on to their site and see the coverage area. Basically if you're on MCEC, you're in the area. It may not be available in a UG subdivision though because fiber cable has to be run to each house.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Google Fiber is supposed to be somewhere in Atlanta, maybe even my neighbourhood.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022

Get a streaming service to supplement local channel viewing, e.g., SlingTV. Makes no sense to subscribe to a service which includes local channels since you can view them Over-The-Air at no cost.
I’ve done that for one tv. Extenuating circumstance's have had me search for the best of 2 worlds here.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
Are they a streaming service? I'm not that well versed on these providers?
“we’ll versed”?…………I luv the Old Testament……..fire & brimstone here……think some of the issues we have today is the weak wrist of the New Testament 🤨

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
“we’ll versed”?…………I luv the Old Testament……..fire & brimstone here……think some of the issues we have today is the weak wrist of the New Testament 🤨
In some branches of the church, they could be. I told my preacher a long time ago, "If I leave here feeling good every week, you aren't doing your job".

Reactions: Bwellgolf

CriminalTrakerAlum80

Joined Oct 17, 2020
Feb 5, 2022
I watched television in Arizona while on vacation and the streaming service being used was YouTubeTV. I do not know about the cost but I was able to watch both NFL network games and the RedZone channel. As for cost, I do not know but the picture quality was crystal clear.

haneynfl

Joined Aug 6, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
I just stick with Spectrum. Most probably because it is the easy button. I did go with Spectrum Mobile too - saved a lot on mobile phones, but did it mainly because Verizon had lost a step. My cable (mostly all channels except subscription channels, fastest speed internet, a few boxes, three mobile phones and two watches) is a little over $300.

I don’t know if I could beat it, but I like the ease and convenience of one provider and the consistency is Ok with me. And, I can stream my Spectrum anywhere - I know you can with other services too.

if I could even save $50-100, I would just blow it on something else…..or my wife would shopping. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Bwellgolf

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
Log on to their site and see the coverage area. Basically if you're on MCEC, you're in the area. It may not be available in a UG subdivision though because fiber cable has to be run to each house.
No Luck for me. I thought Caolina connect was MCEC. I am Dominion(SCEG).
I just stick with Spectrum. Most probably because it is the easy button. I did go with Spectrum Mobile too - saved a lot on mobile phones, but did it mainly because Verizon had lost a step. My cable (mostly all channels except subscription channels, fastest speed internet, a few boxes, three mobile phones and two watches) is a little over $300.

I don’t know if I could beat it, but I like the ease and convenience of one provider and the consistency is Ok with me. And, I can stream my Spectrum anywhere - I know you can with other services too.

if I could even save $50-100, I would just blow it on something else…..or my wife would shopping. LOL

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022

Spectrum.is famous for giving very low prices for multi-tier packages. However, The low price only lasts 12-24 months then the full price kicks in. The full price is usually more than double. DirecTV use the same sales strategy.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Do Hulu plus Live TV or YouTubeTV for college football season only.

Would do SlingTV but have to use an antenna to get local stations (or at least used to).

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
In some branches of the church, they could be. I told my preacher a long time ago, "If I leave here feeling good every week, you aren't doing your job".
I hope you leave Church each week feeling challenged, not sinful.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Do Hulu plus Live TV or YouTubeTV for college football season only.

Would do SlingTV but have to use an antenna to get local stations (or at least used to).
You should continue to use an antenna to get local stations.
  1. Congressional legislation permits TV stations to charge cable/satellite/streaming services a fortune to carry their signals, i.e., a retransmission fee. And of course, the providers are going to pass on that cost to the consumer. Why pay for something when you can get it for free?
  2. You'll get a higher quality picture from an over-the air signal than you will from the compressed signal cable/satellite/streaming services deliver so that they can squeeze more channels into their limited bandwidth.
My "go to" is Tyler the Antenna Man (https://www.antennamanpa.com/index.html). He can give you a good recommendation on the best antenna for your site. He also has a YouTube Channel over which he has explained retransmission fees in some depth. Here's a sample:

LazyIslander

Joined Aug 2, 2015
Jan 18, 2022
Just be aware that you’ll lose all of the Ballys (previously Fox Sports) channels. You can only get those through Spectrum and DirecTV at the moment.

Just mentioning since you said sports were important. That being said, I’m still a YouTube TV fan.
I use the Ballys Sports app. Login with your spectrum credentials (works with internet only accounts). Works perfectly.

Reactions: Cackmandu

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
  1. Congressional legislation permits TV stations to charge cable/satellite/streaming services a fortune to carry their signals, i.e., a retransmission fee. And of course, the providers are going to pass on that cost to the consumer. Why pay for something when you can get it for free?
  2. You'll get a higher quality picture from an over-the air signal than you will from the compressed signal cable/satellite/streaming services deliver so that they can squeeze more channels into their limited bandwidth.
My "go to" is Tyler the Antenna Man (https://www.antennamanpa.com/index.html). He can give you a good recommendation on the best antenna for your site. He also has a YouTube Channel over which he has explained retransmission fees in some depth. Here's a sample:

Only downside is with my location I have to use an external antenna. That's just not something I really want to bother with. Literally the only time I ever watch local stations (ABC, NBC, CBS) is during college football season, so it's just not worth the effort. It would make more sense if I was watching them on a regular basis, for all the reasons you provide. No doubt it provides a better picture than streaming.

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Only downside is with my location I have to use an external antenna. That's just not something I really want to bother with. Literally the only time I ever watch local stations (ABC, NBC, CBS) is during college football season, so it's just not worth the effort. It would make more sense if I was watching them on a regular basis, for all the reasons you provide. No doubt it provides a better picture than streaming.
You mean local affiliates of ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox.

I had rooftop antennas erected at both my Atlanta and Beaufort homes. Comcast in Atlanta does not carry every OTA channel. I wanted external to avoid spotty reception on a few stations. The broadcast tower for WGTV, Georgia Public Television, is located atop Stone Mountain, 16km from my house, and hard to pick up with rabbit ears. I also got a rotor to maximize viewing all available channels (part of it is the principle). I scanned last night - 124 channels. Like cable, most are religious and shop-at-home, but there are no recurring monthly charges.

Beaufort is a bit different. When Hargray purchased Charter's Beaufort franchise (side note - the Charter/Time Warner merger is called Spectrum), they basically dropped all Charleston stations from the lineup. The FCC and Nielson Market Research placed Beaufort County in the Savannah TV market. Any TV provider in Beaufort County (for all intents and purposes) has to carry all high-power commercial TV stations from Savannah. Charleston is optional. Goes back to those expensive retransmission fees.

I grew up watching Charleston TV, and have no desire to stop, I receive more Charleston stations via the antenna than the FCC would even allow Hargray to carry.

Show of hands - those of you who live in Beaufort County and watch Savannah TV, how much Gamecock coverage do you see? And Charleston TV stations are doing a much better job of covering things Gamecock than they did when I was growing up.

Last edited:

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022

He looks like one of those Russian guys who can hook you up with free cable channels.

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022

Works great. I have a yagi style antenna. I stream my local channels to all the TVs on Rokus. I use a Tablo DVR connected to the antenna and my network. I get around 30 local channels. The Tablo has 4 tuners and can stream to 6 devices simultaneous. That way I don't have to run antenna cable to any Tvs. Plus it gives me a program guide and recording of my favorite shows. I do spring for the 20 bucks a year to have it automatically skip commercials on the recorded shows. The Amazon fire recast is similar to the Tablo but you have to use Amazon devices for playback.

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
George Norwood, Ken Klyce, Happy Raine. Is that too far back for you? "Remember friends, you can't beat a Dolan Deal".
Not too far back. Straight into my childhood. The faces of WCSC-TV. Don't forget Charlie Hall.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Works great. I have a yagi style antenna. I stream my local channels to all the TVs on Rokus. I use a Tablo DVR connected to the antenna and my network. I get around 30 local channels. The Tablo has 4 tuners and can stream to 6 devices simultaneous. That way I don't have to run antenna cable to any Tvs. Plus it gives me a program guide and recording of my favorite shows. I do spring for the 20 bucks a year to have it automatically skip commercials on the recorded shows. The Amazon fire recast is similar to the Tablo but you have to use Amazon devices for playback.
I take it the 30 you get are local Columbia. Can you pick up anything from Augusta?

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Remember the "see-through" weather map?
Vaguely. I remember well going with the folks to Charleston on shopping trips. We would go to Sam Solomon's down on East Bay Street and pass by the Channel 5 studios. I remember thinking as an adolescent that this is where the magic happens. I also remember thinking what a grungy part if town that area was.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Vaguely. I remember well going with the folks to Charleston on shopping trips. We would go to Sam Solomon's down on East Bay Street and pass by the Channel 5 studios. I remember thinking as an adolescent that this is where the magic happens. I also remember thinking what a grungy part if town that area was.

The map was an outline of the US on clear glass/plastic. Charlie would stand behind the glass and wrote in a "mirror image" on the map so that it would look right to the viewing audience.

Studios relocated to West Ashley circa 1997.

Growing up in Beaufort, most of our shopping trips were to Savannah, with occasional forays to Charleston. From Beaufort, it's a 50 minute drive to downtown Savannah, and about an 80 minute drive to downtown Charleston.

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
I take it the 30 you get are local Columbia. Can you pick up anything from Augusta?
The distance is not an issue but the type of antenna I have is. I live in the Lexington area but the antenna (yagi style) I use is very directional. So I would have to either change the type of antenna or get an antenna rotator. A yagi type of antenna is fairly small. I mounted it on the old directTV mount already on the house. I used antennaweb to check the compass direction I needed to point it in to pick up the Columbia stations. I get very good signal strength.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
The map was an outline of the US on clear glass/plastic. Charlie would stand behind the glass and wrote in a "mirror image" on the map so that it would look right to the viewing audience.

Studios relocated to West Ashley circa 1997.

Growing up in Beaufort, most of our shopping trips were to Savannah, with occasional forays to Charleston. From Beaufort, it's a 50 minute drive to downtown Savannah, and about an 80 minute drive to downtown Charleston.
Beaufort is a great town. I love it. Unlike most other towns its size I know of, it is served by only one notable highway, U.S. 21. You have to travel that one a number of miles to get to other arteries that take you someplace. I do love Beaufort, though. Outstanding three-day getaway town.

henders90

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Jan 17, 2022
Negative Ghostrider.
ok, but only if you promise to take a shot when a cord-cutting thread is started or an on3 app is mentioned.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: Lurker123

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The distance is not an issue but the type of antenna I have is. I live in the Lexington area but the antenna (yagi style) I use is very directional. So I would have to either change the type of antenna or get an antenna rotator. A yagi type of antenna is fairly small. I mounted it on the old directTV mount already on the house. I used antennaweb to check the compass direction I needed to point it in to pick up the Columbia stations. I get very good signal strength.
tvfool.com used to be a great site to check compass direction, etc. but they failed to keep up with changing data, e.g., the FCC repack.

Tyler the Antenna Man has a video on the FCC reducing the TV band down now to channels 2-36, i.e., the repack. He also discusses "virtual channels." WOLO-TV, the ABC affiliate in Columbia probably shows up on your TV as channel 25. And before the digital switch in 2009, they did broadcast on 25. Now, they actually broadcast on channel 7. But metadata included in their signal instructs your digital tuner to show it on 25. FCC was cognizant that many stations were known by their (analogue) channel numbers and came up with this solution. Most TV stations today broadcast on the UHF band (channels 14-36).

You are correct about the rotor. And since I was bound and determined to have the ability to pick up all available stations, I went the extra distance to get a rotor.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Beaufort is a great town. I love it. Unlike most other towns its size I know of, it is served by only one notable highway, U.S. 21. You have to travel that one a number of miles to get to other arteries that take you someplace. I do love Beaufort, though. Outstanding three-day getaway town.
Before the first bridge spanning the Broad River connecting northern and southern Beaufort County (SC 170) was built in 1958, US 21 was the only road in and out of Beaufort (not counting that US 21 actually ends on Hunting Island). The bridge opening shortened the drive to Savannah by about 30 minutes. Prior to that, the drive to either Charleston or Savannah was the same 90 minutes. US 17 now being a minimum of four-lanes all the way though Beaufort, Colleton, and Charleston counties has reduced the driving time to Charleston by 10-15 minutes.

I love Beaufort too. Hard to give it up. Interesting to compare it with Georgetown.

Georgetown is not "off the beaten path;" Beaufort is. Georgetown has the steel and paper factories which ruin the view of the water behind Front St. (you can avoid looking right, I guess), but they do aid the economy of the area. Nonetheless, I get the sense that people who have vacationed in Myrtle Beach and discover Georgetown become enchanted by it.

The river view from the Beaufort waterfront park is gorgeous. Beaufort of course has the presence of the Marine Corps, and Hilton Head / Bluffton, which keeps the economy going. Otherwise, IMO, it would be much like Georgetown.

Hntr22

Feb 3, 2022
Been with YouTube TV for a few years now and have been pleased (until they dropped ESPN back before Christmas, only to pick it back up a few days later). It's roughly $65-$70 per month. We added the 4K option, but I haven't been impressed with it so far. We've always shopped around for the best bang for our buck, but thus far, we haven't found much that competes with YouTube TV, especially if you're looking for live episodes and local channels.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
The cable companies are idiots. They just don’t get it. You can’t charge people exorbitant prices and continue to go up offering very little increased value. The kicker is when they want to nickel and dime you for the equipment you must have to actually use their cable TV. I liken it to when car tire dealers started pricing a tire in their advertisements, and when you went there to buy the tire they charged extra for the stem. It was almost like so do you want these tires on your car? Well then that will be a lot more.