Cutting the cord... I know this has been asked previously but I am done with Spectrum

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The cable companies are idiots. They just don’t get it. You can’t charge people exorbitant prices and continue to go up offering very little increased value. The kicker is when they want to nickel and dime you for the equipment you must have to actually use their cable TV. I liken it to when car tire dealers started pricing a tire in their advertisements, and when you went there to buy the tire they charged extra for the stem. It was almost like so do you want these tires on your car? Well then that will be a lot more.
Congress and the TV station owners are idiots. The former for allowing retransmission fees, and the latter for charging cable/satellite/streaming services a fortune to carry said channels.

This is in addition to the cable company nickel & diming.

When next you see a crawl on your screen about a local TV station in contract negotiations with, say Spectrum, disregard the advice to call Spectrum. Instead, call the local TV station and their corporate office (very few stations these days are actually locally owned) and complain about the outrageous retransmission fees they are asking.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
I know Tyler doesn’t like these ant,but they do great and last a few years.I’ve only had to replace the cable that comes with it.
I also have this one,I’ve set this up just to try it out on my moms porch leaning on the railing and pickup Columbia and Augusta channels.she lives in between Gilbert and leesville. Both Antenas does the same but the channel master will last lots longer as nothing really to go bad on it.she and my brother who lives next door, can get over 60 channels on either.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Before the first bridge spanning the Broad River connecting northern and southern Beaufort County (SC 170) was built in 1958, US 21 was the only road in and out of Beaufort (not counting that US 21 actually ends on Hunting Island). The bridge opening shortened the drive to Savannah by about 30 minutes. Prior to that, the drive to either Charleston or Savannah was the same 90 minutes. US 17 now being a minimum of four-lanes all the way though Beaufort, Colleton, and Charleston counties has reduced the driving time to Charleston by 10-15 minutes.

I love Beaufort too. Hard to give it up. Interesting to compare it with Georgetown.

Georgetown is not "off the beaten path;" Beaufort is. Georgetown has the steel and paper factories which ruin the view of the water behind Front St. (you can avoid looking right, I guess), but they do aid the economy of the area. Nonetheless, I get the sense that people who have vacationed in Myrtle Beach and discover Georgetown become enchanted by it.

The river view from the Beaufort waterfront park is gorgeous. Beaufort of course has the presence of the Marine Corps, and Hilton Head / Bluffton, which keeps the economy going. Otherwise, IMO, it would be much like Georgetown.
The paper mill was one thing. It has been there since 1937 and is situated across U.S. 17 from the main body of the town. The steel mill, started up around 1969, while important economically, is a horrible eyesore located up against the business district.

It has changed hands a couple of times and has had trouble staying operational. It is only running now at partial capacity so that current ownership can avoid a rezoning which would convert that area into something more appropriate for such a scenic and historic place.

I don't want to assail anyone's way of bringing bread and butter into the house, but I hope there will come a time when that part of town can be redeemed in a beautiful and more becoming way.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I know Tyler doesn’t like these ant,but they do great and last a few years.I’ve only had to replace the cable that comes with it.
I also have this one,I’ve set this up just to try it out on my moms porch leaning on the railing and pickup Columbia and Augusta channels.she lives in between Gilbert and leesville. Both Antenas does the same but the channel master will last lots longer as nothing really to go bad on it.she and my brother who lives next door, can get over 60 channels on either.
You have to at least agree with Tyler that under normal atmospheric conditions, an antenna cannot pick up TV signals that are 240km (that's 150 miles for the metrically challenged) away. 110km is about the maximum distance, unless you are going to erect a very high antenna with appropriate boosters to mitigate signal loss due to the extra long coax cable.

Tyler's main complaint about these junk antennas is that they're not very sturdy and likely won't hold up well in the long run, especially in winter weather he endures in Pennsylvania. Also, they tend to use RG59 coax cables instead of RG6U, the latter of which are more robust and more likely to deliver a better signal.

Also, there's no such thing as an HDTV antenna. This is marketing BS. Antenna designs are based on the broadcast frequency, not whether that signal is analogue or digital. If you have an "old" antenna which is over 20 years old, in good condition, and designed to optimally receive VHF and UHF frequencies, you are good, and have no need to purchase an antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacock

Legal_fowl

Jan 21, 2022
The paper mill was one thing. It has been there since 1937 and is situated across U.S. 17 from the main body of the town. The steel mill, started up around 1969, while important economically, is a horrible eyesore located up against the business district.

It has changed hands a couple of times and has had trouble staying operational. It is only running now at partial capacity so that current ownership can avoid a rezoning which would convert that area into something more appropriate for such a scenic and historic place.

I don't want to assail anyone's way of bringing bread and butter into the house, but I hope there will come a time when that part of town can be redeemed in a beautiful and more becoming way.
I've always wondered ... has the Sampit River always been like it is or did the Paper Mill and Steel Mill make it the way it is now? At one time, it was on DHEC and the EPA's list of polluted rivers.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
You have to at least agree with Tyler that under normal atmospheric conditions, an antenna cannot pick up TV signals that are 240km (that's 150 miles for the metrically challenged) away. 110km is about the maximum distance, unless you are going to erect a very high antenna with appropriate boosters to mitigate signal loss due to the extra long coax cable.

Tyler's main complaint about these junk antennas is that they're not very sturdy and likely won't hold up well in the long run, especially in winter weather he endures in Pennsylvania. Also, they tend to use RG59 coax cables instead of RG6U, the latter of which are more robust and more likely to deliver a better signal.

Also, there's no such thing as an HDTV antenna. This is marketing BS. Antenna designs are based on the broadcast frequency, not whether that signal is analogue or digital. If you have an "old" antenna which is over 20 years old, in good condition, and designed to optimally receive VHF and UHF frequencies, you are good, and have no need to purchase an antenna.
I agree with him,I think the ‘150 miles’ is taken literally,I think it’s 75 in either direction and that’s how they claim 150.it’s not the best antenna by a long shot but long as the amp doesn’t go out,it will last a few years,my moms been in the air atleast 2 or more,all I changed is the crappy cable that comes with it.it’s a little mod but I told my brother and friend that if they would put some clear coat on the body and glue the reflectors so they won’t break in a few years,it should last a pretty long while.I was quite surprised at the channel master doing as well as it did just sitting on the porch.It’s going up when the ‘150’ mile antenna dies. As a side note,the antenna my mom is using I got it pointed so she picks up the Columbia and Augusta markets(all of them)with out having to move it.

Reactions: atl-cock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I've always wondered ... has the Sampit River always been like it is or did the Paper Mill and Steel Mill make it the way it is now? At one time, it was on DHEC and the EPA's list of polluted rivers.
Are you referring to pollution or how the channel runs? I've seen old photos that make it appear the channel once took a different course. I suspect that alterations to accommodate the port that was there - now defunct, I believe, might have accounted for a slight change in the course of the channel. As for pollution, you can bet your house that there has been a lot, especially before the days of the EPA. By the way, some of the biggest catfish I have ever seen were pulled out of the Sampit river from a dock behind one of the Front Street stores.

haneynfl

Joined Aug 6, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Spectrum.is famous for giving very low prices for multi-tier packages. However, The low price only lasts 12-24 months then the full price kicks in. The full price is usually more than double. DirecTV use the same sales strategy.
I’m way past the package price.

Reactions: atl-cock

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
and their unreal pricing! What are the best options out there for streaming or another provider? My bill (in fairness includes internet service) is well over $300 per month. Sports channels are very important and my wife likes to do a lot of movie watching.
I appreciate the feedback and experiences of those that have gone before me!
To be truthful I was supposed to be out in the lobby handing out cigars…….when u could smoke in one🙃

Then this cosmopolitan crap grabs the women & we go from holding her hand telling her to breathe (we all know that’s natural), to cutting a thin piece of red meat! …….crap, what is the doctor getting paid for? Do I get a discount?

Legal_fowl

Jan 21, 2022
Are you referring to pollution or how the channel runs? I've seen old photos that make it appear the channel once took a different course. I suspect that alterations to accommodate the port that was there - now defunct, I believe, might have accounted for a slight change in the course of the channel. As for pollution, you can bet your house that there has been a lot, especially before the days of the EPA. By the way, some of the biggest catfish I have ever seen were pulled out of the Sampit river from a dock behind one of the Front Street stores.
It is the appearance of the river that I find off-putting. Murky, dark and debris is always floating up and lodging under the waterfront. There are remnants of old docks sticking up out of the mud. To me, it looks polluted whether it is or not. I don't think I would jump in that water if someone handed me $1,000 in cash. Maybe for 5, but not 1.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
It is the appearance of the river that I find off-putting. Murky, dark and debris is always floating up and lodging under the waterfront. There are remnants of old docks sticking up out of the mud. To me, it looks polluted whether it is or not. I don't think I would jump in that water if someone handed me $1,000 in cash. Maybe for 5, but not 1.
I wouldn't blame you. I haven't seen it for a long while.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Congress and the TV station owners are idiots. The former for allowing retransmission fees, and the latter for charging cable/satellite/streaming services a fortune to carry said channels.

This is in addition to the cable company nickel & diming.

When next you see a crawl on your screen about a local TV station in contract negotiations with, say Spectrum, disregard the advice to call Spectrum. Instead, call the local TV station and their corporate office (very few stations these days are actually locally owned) and complain about the outrageous retransmission fees they are asking.
True…..

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
tvfool.com used to be a great site to check compass direction, etc. but they failed to keep up with changing data, e.g., the FCC repack.

Tyler the Antenna Man has a video on the FCC reducing the TV band down now to channels 2-36, i.e., the repack. He also discusses "virtual channels." WOLO-TV, the ABC affiliate in Columbia probably shows up on your TV as channel 25. And before the digital switch in 2009, they did broadcast on 25. Now, they actually broadcast on channel 7. But metadata included in their signal instructs your digital tuner to show it on 25. FCC was cognizant that many stations were known by their (analogue) channel numbers and came up with this solution. Most TV stations today broadcast on the UHF band (channels 14-36).

You are correct about the rotor. And since I was bound and determined to have the ability to pick up all available stations, I went the extra distance to get a rotor.
I just use a fractal UHF/VHF template I cut from aluminum foil and get 130 OTA channels, including HD. It's taped flat to a window.

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
I don't know anything about the sampit River. But many of the low country rivers are black water due to the tannins from the swampy areas. I dive the Cooper River and once you get about 20 feet down it is pitch black. Almost no light penetrates the water. Dive lights and a compass are required.

Reactions: Legal_fowl

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
Switched to Direct Stream and pay about 210 for it and Spectrum net. I want ATT net, but the fiber is not in my neighborhood.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
SF Bay Area
That explains why you get 130 channels.

That area is the only one I am aware of that has a virtual channel 1 OTA. KAXT-TV It's a low-power station broadcasting on UHF channel 22, but the metadata transmitted as part of the signal tells the digital tuner on your TV to show it on channel 1. It's the only station in the US that does this.

Legal_fowl

Jan 21, 2022
I don't know anything about the sampit River. But many of the low country rivers are black water due to the tannins from the swampy areas. I dive the Cooper River and once you get about 20 feet down it is pitch black. Almost no light penetrates the water. Dive lights and a compass are required.
That is part of it. The Sampit River basin is very small and does not extend very far inland so the flow is not very strong except from the tides. On the other side of the city of Georgetown you have the Waccamaw and the Black River. Both are dark from the tannins but they are wide and deep. The water looks cleaner. I have gone swimming and skiing in both.

Taco73

Feb 6, 2022
That helps. My service, through Comporium, still runs on standard cable. When I started streaming, I upgraded to 750 Mbps and put in my own mesh system to get on top of buffering . I'll soon be able to get fiber for cheaper from another provider. Then I'll be looking for another primary programming source as well. Right now, I'm paying $233.
I have Windstream and did the same. Haven't looked back since.

Jan 21, 2022
So, if I keep just the internet from Spectrum, I don't need the TV package and can use any streaming service to get SEC & ESPN networks? What's the highest speed of internet will work without paying out the nose?

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
So, if I keep just the internet from Spectrum, I don't need the TV package and can use any streaming service to get SEC & ESPN networks? What's the highest speed of internet will work without paying out the nose?
You need to sign up for a streaming TV package service like YoutubeTV or Sling (Orange option) that includes ESPN channels. If you try to use the ESPN app it will ask for your TV provider and I know SlingTV and YoutubeTV are among the options, probably also includes Hulu Live, but not sure.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
I do spectrum internet with the Hulu package where I can get sports, literally just for the Carolina football games. It has plenty of other stuff I like to watch between movies and shows. On top of that I just have Netflix. The prices of streaming is creeping up also. But it’s nowhere near what I was paying for cable.
I think I was paying around $220/mon 6 to 7 years ago before I cancelled. Cancelling cable was one of the best things I ever did.

My parents refuse to cancel theirs. Their bill is almost $400/mon when I saw it on their counter. But they also have everything and then some. Still a huge waste of $$$ imo.

GamecockInOregon

Joined Jun 19, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I use FuboTV. Sports, sports and more sports. I use AppleTVs connected to my hdtv's to have only the power cords. ESPN+, YouTube and Disney+ are the only apps I regularly use.

Taco73

Feb 6, 2022
and their unreal pricing! What are the best options out there for streaming or another provider? My bill (in fairness includes internet service) is well over $300 per month. Sports channels are very important and my wife likes to do a lot of movie watching.
I appreciate the feedback and experiences of those that have gone before me!
I would also see if Kinetic ISP is available. I kicked Spectrum to the curb 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I bought a mesh router and it's been great. Hulu worked with ESPN+ and I can get all the games USC related between the 2. You just need to get used to using apps instead of cable stations.

Last edited:

Silverspur02

Joined Jan 26, 2006 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Anyone in the Lexington, SC area using an outdoor (or indoor) antennae for OTA? I am off North Lake in Carriage Hill...

Jan 21, 2022
I'm giving Hulu a try and try to cancel Spectrum TV, but the customer service person said they don't pro-rate the bill seeing how i'm in the middle of billing cycle. I have to wait until June 24th.

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
Have been with DTV since '97 and am tired of their price increases. Have considered other options. It POes me because a new customer gets HD free while I have to pay $10 PM among other charges. If they would put at much thought and effort into their programming as they do nickling and diming their customers, they would be great.
AT&T should have never been allowed to buy DTV. They are just bleeding the service.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Have been with DTV since '97 and am tired of their price increases. Have considered other options. It POes me because a new customer gets HD free while I have to pay $10 PM among other charges. If they would put at much thought and effort into their programming as they do nickling and diming their customers, they would be great.
AT&T should have never been allowed to buy DTV. They are just bleeding the service.
I had DTV for years, loved it so much I was an unpaid spokesperson for them. AT&T bought them and I now use YTTV.

Anderson Gamecock

Joined Aug 4, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
YTTV has all the Fox News channels. And all the other side's channels too. Its like cable.
I am getting killed by Spectrum. Prices go up unilaterally and I have no control. I am paying almost $43 a month as a subsidy to provide TV to God knows who along with obscure franchise fees, taxes and other charges. My internet was $39.95 a month a blink of an eye ago and it is now $79.95. Cannot convince my wife to get rid of our landline but that monthly charge is only $14.95 (50% increase in last year or so). Going to give YouTube TV a trial run. Have to stay with Spectrum for WiFi because I don't want to go to the trouble of getting AT&T involved.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I am getting killed by Spectrum. Prices go up unilaterally and I have no control. I am paying almost $43 a month as a subsidy to provide TV to God knows who along with obscure franchise fees, taxes and other charges. My internet was $39.95 a month a blink of an eye ago and it is now $79.95. Cannot convince my wife to get rid of our landline but that monthly charge is only $14.95 (50% increase in last year or so). Going to give YouTube TV a trial run. Have to stay with Spectrum for WiFi because I don't want to go to the trouble of getting AT&T involved.
Ditch wifi and wire up your house.

Latest posts