Cutting the cord... I know this has been asked previously but I am done with Spectrum

JimmyUSC1

Joined Nov 30, 2001 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
and their unreal pricing! What are the best options out there for streaming or another provider? My bill (in fairness includes internet service) is well over $300 per month. Sports channels are very important and my wife likes to do a lot of movie watching.
I appreciate the feedback and experiences of those that have gone before me!

Reactions: Ryan Patterson

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
and their unreal pricing! What are the best options out there for streaming or another provider? My bill (in fairness includes internet service) is well over $300 per month. Sports channels are very important and my wife likes to do a lot of movie watching.
That's too high.

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
SLING- orang/blue Their full package has every known sports channel. ALL ESPN's, SECN/SECN+, ACCN/ACCN+ more.
Movies by the thousands. Everything they offer less than $100. DVR too.

Last edited:

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
SLING- orang/blue Their full package has every known sports channel. ALL ESPN's, SECN/SECN+, ACCN/ACCN+ more.
Are they a streaming service? I'm not that well versed on these providers?

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
Are they a streaming service? I'm not that well versed on these providers?
Yes they are a streaming service. They can be found on most any streaming device/format. Such as: Roku, Fire, Nvidia and Android. Android has stand alone devices and is used by most TV manufacturers for streaming built-in to the TV.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Yes they are a streaming service. They can be found on most any streaming device/format. Such as: Roku, Fire, Nvidia and Android. Android has stand alone devices and is used by most TV manufacturers for streaming built-in to the TV.
So you also have to get Internet service to your house, correct? I don't want to pry, but is your ISP very expensive?

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
So you also have to get Internet service to your house, correct? I don't want to pry, but is your ISP very expensive?
Spectrum offers a 100/200/400 Mbs internet speed. I have 400Mbs and pay $97. I pay $93 to Sling for all they offer, this does not include any Premium Channels HBO/Showtime/etc.

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
I have done extensive research and there is no better/cheaper ISP in my area than Spectrum. Kinetic is not better price or service. There are some services that are better in certain communities, but limited in their service area.
I have great hopes for 5G Home Internet Service, which Verizon says will be available by year end. There are some new satellite internet providers who will be online in a few years. For now, Spectrum can not be beat for price and service. as an ISP. However, as a TV provider Sling beats the crap out of them.

Last edited:

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
Hulu has half the total channels than Sling. For instance, the 3 Hallmark channels are $6.99 add on in HULU.
Yet HULU and Sling are about same price. More for your money on Sling.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
I use DIRECTV streaming. 100 a month but unlimited dvr and you get every channel plus hbo max free

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
Well...not really. They have quite a few but they have none of the many regional sports networks.
True just a while back they dropped due to Fee Charges some Regional Sports Networks. However, there was nothing on them I was interested in. They have ALL ESPN's, SECN/SECN+, ACCN/ACCN+. NBATV, LongHorn Net, Olympic Chn, Tennis Chn, USA (Soccer etc) Chn, BIG 10 Net,, FoxSports1 and 2, AKC Chn, NHL Net, Fishing Chn, MLB Chn, Golf Chn, NFL Net, NFL RED , All College Net channels such as Mountain, Arizona, Oregon more. BEIN, Sportsman, Outdoor, more.

Last edited:

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Century Link $45 + Netflix $19 =$64/month (with no commercials.) Some of us are minimalists. ;)

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Spectrum offers a 100/200/400 Mbs internet speed. I have 400Mbs and pay $97. I pay $93 to Sling for all they offer, this does not include any Premium Channels HBO/Showtime/etc.
That helps. My service, through Comporium, still runs on standard cable. When I started streaming, I upgraded to 750 Mbps and put in my own mesh system to get on top of buffering . I'll soon be able to get fiber for cheaper from another provider. Then I'll be looking for another primary programming source as well. Right now, I'm paying $233.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
That helps. My service, through Comporium, still runs on standard cable. When I started streaming, I upgraded to 750 Mbps and put in my own mesh system to get on top of buffering . I'll soon be able to get fiber for cheaper from another provider. Then I'll be looking for another primary programming source as well. Right now, I'm paying $233.

Once the fiber cable is placed, it does not mater who the provider is at the point, all entities will become resellers using the same fiber cable (as they do now with existing copper) . Also, it should be noted that in many cases Fiber is not actually run to the house.. Fiber cable will terminate to an outside pedestal (aerial/buried) from that point it is still the buried service wire or an aerial drop line that runs from the pedestal to the protector on the side of a home.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Once the fiber cable is placed, it does not mater who the provider is at the point, all entities will become resellers using the same fiber cable (as they do now with existing copper) . Also, it should be noted that in many cases Fiber is not actually run to the house.. Fiber cable will terminate to an outside pedestal (aerial/buried) from that point it is still the buried service wire or an aerial drop line that runs from the pedestal to the protector on the side of a home.
Lynches River Electric Co-op (I know the COO) has been running fiber along their lines to provide high-speed internet where it doesn't presently go. They have already reached about 3,000 homes. I'm not on their power service, but one of their poles is on the corner of my street about 50 yards from my house. I talked to one of their installers and he says they will be able to hook me up. Their service will be cheaper than what I have now and I can probably reduce Mbps when using fiber. Comporium carries a streaming service with all their old cable channels and we use it. Actually, that programming is all I will need to replace. The cable service will be markedly less and I have already given up my Comporium land line.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
I used to be on comporium up till about 2 years ago when my contract ran out and my bill was going to go up to around $200 a month for cable/internet.I kept the internet as that is all we could get in my area.i went with YouTube tv for a while, it only had 3 streams which isn’t enough for us .but it got us by and my bill stayed around the same of $150 .

Reactions: King Ward

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
In my case the fiber is provided by the local electric coop. They are the only ones selling the service on it. The fiber is run to my house and connects to the Ont in my house. 50 bucks for 350 Meg synchronous. Awesome service. Even includes a ups to keep internet up during a short power outage.

Reactions: King Ward

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
When I signed up last year Sling orange+blue came to $50/month. That and my $55/month internet comes to $105/month for streaming TV w/live sports, but I also have Amazon Prime so I'm well covered for movies.

Reactions: Pinecock

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
When I signed up last year Sling orange+blue came to $50/month. That and my $55/month internet comes to $105/month for streaming TV w/live sports, but I also have Amazon Prime so I'm well covered for movies.
I opted for all their extras, other than premium channells, so higher price.
In my case the fiber is provided by the local electric coop. They are the only ones selling the service on it. The fiber is run to my house and connects to the Ont in my house. 50 bucks for 350 Meg synchronous. Awesome service. Even includes a ups to keep internet up during a short power outage.
Thats GREAT! Wish I were in your COOP.

Pinecock

Joined Dec 8, 2000
Jan 20, 2022
Get Direct TV. for local news and sports But don’t get their movie channels. I like prime Amazon and NETFLIX.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Had HuluLive for 2 years. Dropped them and went to YouTubeTV. Less expensive and more channels that I watch (MLB for example).

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Don’t know how accurate it is but you can compare service’s.
I was coming in to post that site link. I haven't found a better streaming comparison online anywhere. I run back through it every so often (when I think about how high YT TV is....). I always end up at the YTTV conclusion though, given the channels that I want.

Cockring

Jan 20, 2022
I cut the cord yesterday! Spectrum kept increasing my bill every 6 months and I did not increase my package. I kept the internet and went with YTTV......so far no issues and it pretty much has all of the channels I had with Spectrum.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Century Link $45 + Netflix $19 =$64/month (with no commercials.) Some of us are minimalists. ;)
A minimalist would have a TV antenna and nothing else. Which about sums me up. I do have streaming boxes, e.g., Roku and Firestick, but subscribe to nothing.

Over-The Air (antenna) for news, sporting events, and a few other shows (will take a look at season 21 of Law and Order) and I watch a lot of Youtube videos through my Firestick. No, not Youtube TV. Regular Youtube.

Last edited:

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
A minimalist would have a TV antenna and nothing else. Which about sums me up. I do have streaming boxes, e.g., Roku and Firestick, but subscribe to nothing.

Over-The Air (antenna) for news, sporting events, and a few other shows (will take a look at season 21 of Law and Order) and I watch a lot of Youtube videos through my Firestick. No, not Youtube TV. Regular Youtube.
...but you watch commercials. ;)

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
YoutubeTV and internet…all u need ( although we have netflix, disney, and paramount+). The sports selection on YouTube TV is perfect

Reactions: Cockring

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
...but you watch commercials. ;)
Actually....I don't always watch commercials. I "sideloaded" a Firestick app called Smart Youtube, which blocks out all of the commercials in a YouTube video.

True, if I watch something through IMDB, Tubi, or OTA, yep commercials.

Last edited:

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
I was paying around $250 a month for cable back in 2014. When moving to a new place and it came time to cancel/transfer the service to my new address…. a friend talked me in to dropping cable and try out just having basic internet for like $29 a month and then subscribing to Hulu and Netflix. Bill went from $250ish to like $60 and I never looked back. This was probably one of my best things I ever did. Though the price for my internet, Netflix and Hulu constantly creep up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tngamecock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Get Direct TV. for local news and sports But don’t get their movie channels. I like prime Amazon and NETFLIX.
Get an antenna for local news/sports. Why pay for something when you can get it over the air for free?

Reactions: Gr8spur

Michael Beckham

Gamecock Central Moderator
Staff member
Jan 5, 2022
Carolina Connect is running fiber at 300mbs for about $50 to residential areas, and they offer 500mbs - 1gbs to businesses. It's amazing.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
They offer unadvertised packages. Some sort of bottom line basic, which only offers local channels. BUT if you like their internet side u can get what ever stream service u want & piggyback……think that ultra basic comes in around $45.

They also have a “choice 15” ? …which supplies all locals & u pick 15 channels…..Offers all sports pkgs , but no sec network.😒. That comes in around $135.

now if you have to have a bunch of tv’s working or dvr boxes that cost can add up!

Regardless of which way u go, all these folks have u by the short hairs.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Latest posts