Did the baseball team exceed your expectations?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Every team in every sport in every year, manages to exceed my expectations. #lowbar

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Yes. After last year I was expecting doom and gloom, but I'm naturally pessimistic. I'm still a LITTLE disappointed because we dropped the ball in a series or three. But overall satisfied.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Not yet. Right now, we're technically a "meets expectations". If we host a regional, that would get an "exceeds".

I'll say this has still been an infuriating season, though. The boneheaded baserunning, blown opportunities, and odd in-game management so far have made this feel somewhat like the baseball equivalent of Moorhead's 2018 season. A super regional berth (where we don't have more screw ups) would go a long way to erasing that.
It's really too bad you can't like the post twice.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
More surprised than exceeding. But the real season is about to start and I hope we do well.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Yes, I was convinced we were about to suck even harder this year.

So pleased we sucked a lot less.

But that had everything to do with our pitchers.

Yes, I know our bullpen still sucks, but not as bad as our hitting.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Its a yes for me. To turn the team pitching around the way he did, Justin Parker is basically the MVP for this squad. The fielding went to top 5 Nationally, which was a HUGE improvement over last year's **** show. Hitting is still inconsistent of course. But like I think most of us agree, after those first few series(AF, Austin P), it looked like we were heading straight down suck azz Ave again. Who knows, maybe we get 2 W's in Hoover and host. That to me would be overachieving this year.

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
Far suprassed my expectations. Do I think MSU baseball should be in a regional every year, yes. Did I expect this team to do that, no. Did I expect this team to be in the running for hosting a regional, heck no.

Aug 22, 2012
They exceeded my personal expectations for what I thought they were capable of as a baseball team.

They are meeting the expectations for the program (make a regional).

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They exceeded my personal expectations for what I thought they were capable of as a baseball team.

They are meeting the expectations for the program (make a regional).

Well said. This is a better, more succinct, description of how I feel as well.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Exceeded but we set the bar so damn low the past two seasons. Below where it should never be. This should be our mid. Making sec tournament as a low seed should always be our lowest

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Exceeded my expectations of what I thought we would do this year. Met my minimum expectations of what Lem needed to do to save his job for another year. Did Not meet my expectations of what STate baseball should be in regular season. Post season is yet to be seen. Lem‘s seat is still warm in my book until we see more sustained success.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yes, and I believe Lemonis is off the hot seat. He has proven he can turn it around. If we can recruit a couple of stud pitchers or get them through NIL next season will be good.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
My expectations for State baseball is to make a regional every year and host about 50% of the time. I’m not going to let a coach lower those expectations.

Based on that, we still met expectations. The inconsistency is frustrating and concerning to me, though. The only reason we aren’t a host lock is that the team can’t play at a high level for more than 2 games in a row.
So you expect us to host twice as often as we have historically done, in our historically most successful sport, even in the good multi year stretches.

I quit reading after that.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
So you expect us to host twice as often as we have historically done, in our historically most successful sport, even in the good multi year stretches.

I quit reading after that.
Smaller sample size but when this was John Cohens program after he overcame the disaster that Polk (2011-2021) created we hosted 40% of the time All it takes is some real talent evaluation and coaching at State. Tennessee is gonna host for the 3rd time in 4 years.