Does CJF need another "signature win" in order to keep his job?

SoCalLion

Jun 23, 2022
He had a few in 2016 - Ohio State, the B1G Championship Game. Arguably the 2017 Fiesta Bowl falls in this category too.

But it has been 4 years without a signature win. When is he going to get another one?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Jimmy Fallon Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Gogogoral

Nov 1, 2021
I’d say we need a few because one or two will only tease us and risk pulling some with properly lowered expectations back toward believing in fantasy.
One week at a time philosophy
let’s get one, then worry about a 2nd/3rd/4th?

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
Who really thinks that this team, which has gone 11-11 the last two years, can play any of Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, or even Notre Dame and Michigan, and come away with a signature win?

Reactions: NB4PSU and PSU1969A

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Who really thinks that this team, which has gone 11-11 the last two years, can play any of Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, or even Notre Dame and Michigan, and come away with a signature win?
We wouldn’t beat any of those times often…but obviously we “can” beat any of them on the right day.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
He is what he is. He can recruit but his coaching results are proven to be just good. Faced with very good competition he will lose more often than not. If that’s ok with you I won’t argue. We are stuck with him and his contract for another decade.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Good question. I rarely visit the Penn State sites and I could not give you an update on recruiting or the proposed lineup for this fall.

It’s sort of like my feelings for the Harrisburg Senators. I’ll go if I’m gifted a ticket in a corporate box, but I don’t much care if the Senators do well.

When it comes to professional baseball I’m a Phillies fan. IDGAF about the Reading or Lehigh Valley teams. As for professional football, I have been a Packers fan for 56 years and that won’t change.

College football has died IMO.

Last edited:

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
He had a few in 2016 - Ohio State, the B1G Championship Game. Arguably the 2017 Fiesta Bowl falls in this category too.

But it has been 4 years without a signature win. When is he going to get another one?
I’d say he needs a solid 9-10 win season, signature win? Auburn and UW on road we’re pretty big wins. Cliff stays healthy? Excuses aside 9-10 wins is more important than any one game and win bowl game.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

LOL.....he laughs at posts like this. What's his buyout? Perhaps the BWICAC can raise the money? 63 million + after this season.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021

Can't see him going anywhere regardless of record, PSU is on the hook with this guy good or bad for yrs to come.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Well they did go 1-1 against Michigan in that time span sooooo....

Reactions: LOCOPSU

Joof

Nov 8, 2021
If Franklin gets good recruiting classes in a row, beats auburn 2 years in a row and the nittany lions reach the top 5 twice in a 3 year span will they give him a 5 year extension on his current deal or will they hire you to interview coaches to get the signature wins you want?

PSU1969A

Nov 3, 2021

What signature win? What he needs are wins -- period. Then all of those communication majors (athletes) will have something to talk about.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021

Illinois

Fizz1

Oct 30, 2021
As long as he fills the seats, he will have a job and be very well paid. It's about the revenue to PSU. Franklin's agent was an outstanding negotiator.

Oct 12, 2021
A question? In your opinion or knowledge (broad spectrum) the upcoming Big Ten TV rights are expected to significantly increase the funds to each member school. Did our former AD tag much of that windfall to justify any of CJF's new contract and if so, how much? Monies diverted from that to the contract in discussion reduce monies toward facilities improvement, a desired/necessary component to a successful program.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
A question? In your opinion or knowledge (broad spectrum) the upcoming Big Ten TV rights are expected to significantly increase the funds to each member school. Did our former AD tag much of that windfall to justify any of CJF's new contract and if so, how much? Monies diverted from that to the contract in discussion reduce monies toward facilities improvement, a desired/necessary component to a successful program.
Our former AD is/was not that forward-thinking. Other than that, your analysis is spot on.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Isn’t another signature loss more likely to keep Franklin at PSU than a signature win?

o_O

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Good question. I rarely visit the Penn State sites and I could not give you an update on recruiting or the proposed lineup for this fall.

It’s sort of like my feelings for the Harrisburg Senators. I’ll go if I’m gifted a ticket in a corporate box, but I don’t much care if the Senators do well.

When it comes to professional baseball I’m a Phillies fan. IDGAF about the Reading or Lehigh Valley teams. As for professional football, I have been a Packers fan for 56 years and that won’t change.

College football has died IMO.
This is scarily closer to reality than many would like to admit.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I don't care about her one way or the other....but its a bit simplistic to blame her for CJF's contract. The Compensation Committee had a vote.
So if she had never proposed it, the Compensation Committee would have done it on their own? Or maybe they looked at the alternative and decided that the contract was the lesser of two evils.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
So if she had never proposed it, the Compensation Committee would have done it on their own? Or maybe they looked at the alternative and decided that the contract was the lesser of two evils.
Well, my point is simple.....the AD didn't settle the contract in a vacuum. The committee met and approved. It was common knowledge an extension was in the works for weeks, if not months. I'm looking forward to 10 more years.

SoCalLion

Jun 23, 2022
This thread seems worthy of bumping.

Franklin gave us yet another signature LOSS today. Same as it ever was.

Reactions: Nits74